Facebook

3.4

252 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

The interview was pretty straight forward. First phone interview was with the recruiter who reached out to me. Then, an onsite interview and although they said, they might have a follow-up interview, they called me the next day and said they'll be making an offer. The offer numbers came in very quickly thereafter. The entire process (from first recruiter contact to offer acceptance) took less than two weeks!

Interview Questions
    • The questions weren't out of the ordinary but were well-thought out. I met with 4 interviewers (30 mins each).   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

This was for the Rotational Product Manager Position:

I applied through a company referral which really helps your application if you can get someone. Also Facebook employees who refer a new hire are compensated if you end up getting the job ($5000 for RPMs). So reach out to friends you have who work here.

For RPMs Facebook is looking for how you think about problems. Most RPM hires are right out of college and don't have any product management experience so don't feel overwhelmed. You just need to very clearly communicate how you break down problems and why you are a good fit for Facebook's mission.

Facebook recruiters are very clear beforehand about the questions to allow you to prepare. Use this time to prepare! They expect very specific personal experiences which is why they let you in early on what questions will be asked. You won't be surprised by questions in any of the interviews if you have already thought through what you want to communicate.

Phone Interviews:
    1. Product Sense - Talked about an app that I like and design decisions I thought made the app special. Also was asked about one of my side projects and explained a design decision I made. I would stress in this interview that you are empathetic about user needs. That seems to be what they are looking for

2. Execution - Was asked a bunch of hypothetical questions "How would you double group joins in 3mo if we gave you a team of 5 engineers." Stress here that you are data driven, use cohort analysis and break users up to prioritize different strategies.

On Campus Interviews:
    (These interview orders vary by candidate so the exact order may be different)
    1. Execution - You will be asked how you get things done when you don't have ample resources. You'll be asked to solve a problem you don't understand. Hint: Ask clarifying questions! Show that you are a doer and understand how to prioritize multiple approaches.

2. Leadership - What they really want to see here is how you interact with people. You should talk about a time when you inspired a group to do something. You should think through how you would handle all types of conflicts.

3. Product Sense - This interview has the most variation across candidates. You will definitely be asked about a product you like similar to your phone interview. Beyond that the interviewer might ask you anything from a hypothetical feature question to a very specific design scenario they ended up in through their position. Try to stress here that you are empathetic toward users, and aren't afraid to admit when you don't know something.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with someone who fundamentally disagreed with what you told them to do.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

The whole process was very fast.

I have applied through the web site and got reply on a same day.

1. Screening with recruiter (15-20 mins)
    2. Phone interview with an engineer (45 mins)
    3. Onsite interview with 4 people (2 coding, 1 system design, 1 culture fit + coding)

Interview Questions
    • I found system design question more difficult than others as I had no experience in designing large scalable systems.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

First round - Interview on campus. 45 minutes long. Half of the interview is your typical questions about your resume, what you know about the company, what you do. 2nd half is a coding question given by the interviewer.

2nd round - Pick your choice of location and do an interview there. I chose Menlo Park. Day consists of 4 interviews in the morning and a tour & culture overview in the afternoon. Of the 4 interviews 2 were almost purely coding questions. 1 was half and half. 1 was purely behavioral. Each interview lasts 45-50 minutes each.

Interview Questions
    • If you could change something about Faceboook what would it be?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

interviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Did three rounds of interviews.
    First round: design a system to detect homeworking copying, which means input two strings and a integer K, if there is a common substring of them have length larger than K, return true, else return false.
    Second round: nearly all behavior questions. In the last five minutes, asked me to code up a linked list reverse function
    Third round: build a dictionary trie and implement search function, mainly focusing on the OO designing pattern.

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

Was contacted by a recruiter after I applied online. Very prompt recruiter with excellent turnaround time. After one telephonic interview with the hiring manager, I was called onsite for a set of 4 interviews with hiring manager, the head of department, one colleague and one more person.

Great set of interviews and very smart conversations. Questions were centered around the industry, how will I add value. Questions probing past experience and how that can be applied to the new role. I would suggest to do some good research about all Facebook products as that really helps.

I was contacted after the onsite to have a final video call with some colleagues but I had two offers in hand, so I said no. My choice was dictated also by my personal situation else I would have definitely considered Facebook as my first choice.

Interview Questions
    • How would you tackle a client situation with Facebook products   Answer Question

Had two other offers in hand

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

interviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I saw Facebook had portfolio review time after the conference at out school, so I submitted my site. Luckily got selected, and a product designer talked with me for 15 mins after the conference. Couple days later, I receive an email about their interest in second phone interview. All the email are replied very fast and smoothly. During the phone interview, we talked about apple calendar app, google calendar a little. I didn't get the offer, but the experience was pretty nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

A friend referred me and then I got contacted by a recruiter sometime during September. Arranged for a phone interview two weeks later, and two hours after my phone interview, I was told that I could go onsite.

During onsite there are 4 rounds of interviews. 3 are completely coding, the other is half behavior and half coding. Most questions are not hard and can be found on Glassdoor or other sort of programming interview preparing materials. Definitely easier than Google interview questions.

I thought I did pretty well during the onsite (better than phone). Answered all but one question they asked me, and I did not think there was a lot of bugs. No idea why I did not get in, but since I am really not even half of a world-class developer, at this stage I understand luck is more involved than skills.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in October 2014.

I came in contact with Facebook employees at a conference and was invited to a recruiting event the next evening. I originally had a phone screen with a recruiter for a position that was too technical for me, but she was still interested in me and encouraged me to check out other jobs listed on the site.

I did find the Data Scientist position fit my qualifications, and let her know. From that point, the process took about 3 weeks. After another recruiter screen for the second position, I had a technical phone screen and was then invited to fly down to Menlo Park for an in-person interview.

I was definitely challenged in the in-person interview with fairly difficult math, probability, statistics, and SQL questions. I wasn't able to solve every problem, but they are mostly interested in how you think about it and how far you get. I did email the solution the next day for the one I didn't completely solve.

The recruiters did prepare me fairly well for what to expect, and I enjoyed that the interview was almost exclusively technical. No 'tell me about a time when...' questions.

Interview Questions
    I did not choose to negotiate as it was already the strongest offer I had of three.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Facebook in September 2014.

Was submitted as an employee referral, so this may have been quicker than some other folks' experience; first talk with a recruiter to offer was about 10 days. The recruiting team was very on the ball, also.

Had one talk with a recruiter about my background, a technical phone screen (as with many companies, writing actual code over a shared-document web page), and a half day on site of in-person interviews. Interviews on site were 3 technical sessions (two coding, one design), a deep discussion of my experience and work style with a manager, and a social lunch (which one should assume is also a "fit" interview although no company I've visited called it that.)

Interviewers were down to earth rather than with the attitude I'd expect of some of the large "hot" companies; the two coding problems involved fairly standard (if potentially fiddly) string or graph manipulations -- one required recursion (or a fairly complicated stack structure) while the other was easier iteratively, and I was asked to re-implement it using recursion in remaining time. As with pretty well everywhere, expect to also give a big-O estimate of the run time, and find some failure cases (or at least explain where you're already handling it.)

The design interview question was tailored to some specialized work I've done and the particular is probably not representative of most groups; as I understand it, everyone gets some level of design interview and it's usually roughly some form of "how would you build this part of an app like ours for our scale."

Got my offer a few days after interviewing. Overall, a very positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected question was the design problem; the most difficult was one of the technical questions which was to implement a subset of regular expression.   Answer Question
    I presented another offer I had on the table, and they beat it sufficiently definitively and sufficiently quickly that accepted immediately... I should have countered at least once. Good offer, very competitive, but I still feel like I soft-balled them.