Facebook

Updated 29 Jan 2015

3.3

429 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Made it part the first phone interview, rejected on the technical interview after not knowing the questions. Entire process took about 3-4 weeks, and ran very smoothly. Phone interview lasted 15 minute and the technical interview an hour.

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

I got a call from an engineer based on contributions to an OSS project. It was a good conversation and then a recruiter called. They setup a screen in the nearest office a couple of weeks later. There were two 30-minute meetings with engineering managers who had been engineers in current company.

In the first meeting, the interviewer pretty much laid back and waxed lyrical how great it was. Pretty clear there was a huge promotion going to FB and better opportunities to work on stuff that matters.

In the second meeting, the interviewer wrote the question on a board. The class of problem was immediately apparent but I could not formulate the initial steps to the optimal path, I just blanked. I wrote a solution with an alternate approach that could work, but was clear it was the second choice solution. The interview gave a test case in the last 30 seconds that didn't work, but could have given it or hinted anytime earlier.

Neither of these sessions were very interactive, in the first session they wanted to talk, in the second they didn't want to say much at all.

Didn't seem like a good use of vacation time. No offer to re-imburse expenses. IIRC, I had to sign an NDA, but there was no danger of meaningful discussion in this visit.

Interview Questions
    • It was dynamic programming question. See Chapter 6 in Dasgupta, Papadimitriou, and Vazirani. In 20 years as an engineer in other big 5 tech companies, DP has never once been useful in real-world problems.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook in November 2014.

Facebook employee referred me : 1 telephonic round + 4 onsite (1 Cultural fit + 1 Design + 2 Coding). The interview process was very smooth and all the interviewers were very friendly. Most of the questions in the coding round were on algorithm fundamentals. Also they expect clean coding with proper testing. The design round is more like the discussion you would have with your teammate suggesting pros and cons of each method.

Interview Questions
    • Clean code, test cases, scalable design, high level design...   Answer Question
    Since I had an offer I could negotiate a bit on RSU offered

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Facebook.

I was referred by a friend and after some back-and-forth they set up a phone screen via Skype and collabedit.com. The feedback was very quick after the initial phone screening.

Interview Questions
    • What is a memory-efficient way to store a vector of integers? Follow-up question: using your proposed data structure, find an algorithm with constant memory usage to calculate the dot product of two vectors.   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

The process went very smoothly. The experience with the recruiter was fantastic and the recruiter was always excited to talk about the company and kept me informed of what was happening throughout the entire process.

I did an initial screening interview and then a full day of on-site interviews. The on-site interviews consisted of two coding exercises (one on a whiteboard and one on a laptop), one on architecture, and one more that I don't remember.

Interview Questions
    • A dynamic programming question about differences in words.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Facebook in April 2014.

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn. After a general chat with recruiter (current role, relocation, tech skills) we went ahead with the phone screen.

I was asked 2 coding questions, which I coded, but I needed some hints in the second one.

A few days later I got the email that the team would not like to move forward. And I can setup a call for review the feedback, which I didn't. I knew I wasn't super fast on coding, and problem solving.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult.

Reverse String
      Pair words that are Anagrams of each other.

View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Facebook.

Initial phone conversation with facebook recruiter of about 20 mins, going over my background and experience as well as what I was looking for.
    Set up a phone interview with a shared screen coding question, was suggested 2 weeks to prepare.
    Had I passed this stage, would go into London for an all day interview.

Interview Questions
    • Find lowest common ancestor (LCA).   View Answers (4)
    • Given two unsorted arrays, one with event start times and one with end times, find out if any two events overlap.   View Answers (5)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook.

They were as friendly as you can imagine and gave me a T-Shirt. I met a kind of famous security guru.

I'm still in the loop.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Facebook in January 2013.

First interview: 20 minute phone conversation about past experience with a technical recruiter that works for them.

Second interview: 45 minute phone interview, with a PC in front. He gave me some details about the company and gave me one coding challenge.

Interview Questions
    • During the second interview, I was asked to implement LCA in a binary tree (not BST) on collabedit.com. I was close, but not close enough...   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

phone interview starting with introducing yourself followed by two code questions.
    The first coding question is very standard coding question and the second one is
    a little more related to facebook's certain functionality