Facebook Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2014

3.3

345 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Facebook.

I was referred by a friend and after some back-and-forth they set up a phone screen via Skype and collabedit.com. The feedback was very quick after the initial phone screening.

Interview Questions
  • What is a memory-efficient way to store a vector of integers? Follow-up question: using your proposed data structure, find an algorithm with constant memory usage to calculate the dot product of two vectors.   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for Facebook

Software Engineer Interview

The process went very smoothly. The experience with the recruiter was fantastic and the recruiter was always excited to talk about the company and kept me informed of what was happening throughout the entire process.

I did an initial screening interview and then a full day of on-site interviews. The on-site interviews consisted of two coding exercises (one on a whiteboard and one on a laptop), one on architecture, and one more that I don't remember.

Interview Questions
    • A dynamic programming question about differences in words.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Facebook.

Initial phone conversation with facebook recruiter of about 20 mins, going over my background and experience as well as what I was looking for.
    Set up a phone interview with a shared screen coding question, was suggested 2 weeks to prepare.
    Had I passed this stage, would go into London for an all day interview.

Interview Questions
    • Find lowest common ancestor (LCA).   View Answers (3)
    • Given two unsorted arrays, one with event start times and one with end times, find out if any two events overlap.   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

They were as friendly as you can imagine and gave me a T-Shirt. I met a kind of famous security guru.

I'm still in the loop.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in January 2013.

First interview: 20 minute phone conversation about past experience with a technical recruiter that works for them.

Second interview: 45 minute phone interview, with a PC in front. He gave me some details about the company and gave me one coding challenge.

Interview Questions
    • During the second interview, I was asked to implement LCA in a binary tree (not BST) on collabedit.com. I was close, but not close enough...   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in July 2014.

I was hiring specifically for an iOS position. The recruiters start with Obj-C 5 multiple choice questions, which required some surprising depth. I won't get into specifics, but take time to understand memory management (even with arc), blocks, addresses and pointers.

After was a phone interview which mostly involved a collaborative coding question. The questions asked here were very typical algorithmic questions, the answers usually involved a hash to cache meta values to increase performance.

Protip: Be familiar with NSSet and NSOrderedSet. These data structures are more performant than NSArrays for some operations, and I found myself using them in almost every answer.

Then you have an onsite visit, with 4 additional interviews: 2 coding, 1 design, and 1 "culture fit" which, for me, was really another coding interview.

Your recruiter will contact during the next week or two afterwards to give you updates on your status. I believe there are three different meetings where your interviewing notes are reviewed and given consideration.

Interview Questions
    • What is something other people misunderstand about you?   View Answer
    I went back and forth once between a competing company and received higher offers each time. Ask your recruiter for honest assessments of your interviews - if you did well FB will be much more willing to "one up" the competition.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook in April 2014.

Two interviews - one on my university campus, one on the nearest Facebook campus. Got back promptly after the second interview. The culture is amazingly open, any intern can look at any piece of code in the company - nothing is secret. Additionally a lot of trust is put in interns and employees.

Interview Questions
    • Standard rotated binary search question. You have a sorted array that has been shifted/cycled, perform a search on it   View Answers (2)
    No negotiation, there seemed to be a formula for salary for interns.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

Was contacted by a recruiter on Linkedin. He set up a call with the relevant FB department.I was not looking actively for a job, so was little under prepared. The interviewer was nice and came across as a knowledgeable hands-on person. Provided a shared hackpad to do the white boarding process.

Interview Questions
    • Was not expecting a simple heap search algorithm implementation.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

A phone interview, simply ask some question about resume and then ask coding question. They sent a link to you and use the link to coding. Just one question, the question is typed by them in the link.

Interview Questions
    • Print a binary tree by vertical level order

2 4
      3 5

print :
      1 5
        Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Facebook.

I was referred by an existing employee. After an initial email by a recruiter, I didn't hear back for two weeks. I dropped a chaser and the managed to get the interview process started. I did a total of two phone screens with them. The first one went quite well and I heard back from the recruiter within a day. However I didn't manage to get past the second phone screen.

Each phone screen is pretty much standard, the interviewer calls you on your mobile or Skype, and provide you with a collabedit or codeshare page to type out code in real-time.

The recruitment process is slick and systematic generally.

Interview Questions
    • Retrieve words from a dictionary that are made up of a subsequence of characters in an input string.
      i.e. given an input "ABAT", matching words may include "BAT", "TAB", non-matching words may be "BART" or "BAR".
        View Answer

Worked for Facebook? Contribute to the Community!