FactSet

Getting the Interview

328 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in November 2013.

Interview Details 1st stage - Fill in a couple of questions online and submite CV
2nd stage - Face to Face interview and tests; 3 tests - one maths (very similar to gcse), one on finance knowledge and one of Excel (knowledge of confitional formatting, Vlookups, sorting, filtering etc needed)
3rd stage - Assessment centre - includes a group exercise where you have to discuss and prioritise a list of tasks and then you present a micro teach which is where you teach the est of the group a skill (examples include tying a tie, playing guitar chords, origami, how to bake a cake etc)
4th and final stage - interview with 2 senior managers. lots of the questions are siilar to the first interview but are a bit more intense and you have to know what oyou're talknig about - you can't blag it tb.

Interview Question – what did you like/dislike about your uni course?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not really any negotiation - they offered me a role and i accepted.

IT Consultant Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details The written test are straight forward, make sure you read the questions and do as it said.
Math: easy
Finance: French CAC, Financial statement
Excel: frozen panel, standard deviation
Interview questions:
Why IT consultant?
Do you know what we do?
Do you have experience in a client facing role?
Tell me what a factset IT consultant daily life is like.

Graduate Consultant Interview

Interviewed at FactSet

Interview Details Had a 1st round interview, which included three tests and a half hour interview with one of Factset HR members.

Questions were
How did you here about Factset?
What information do our software give?
What would an investment management firm use our software for?
What differentiates us from our competitors?
What interests you about IT? How have you made sure you've kept upto date with IT, prove your interest?

Basically when preparing for the interview make sure you research the company thoroughly, they aren't going to ask you too much about yourself.

Good Luck!

Interview Question – what kind of data does our software provide?   Answer Question

Factset Interview

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details The process, from application, to third interview and final decision, took about eight weeks. Far too long in my opinion for a role of the nature I was applying for.

There were three interviews, first was a mostly behavioural/competency based interview, which was not unusual in nature.

The second was a test on accounting knowledge, (calculate ratios etc ), for a fictitious organisation. The second part to this "interview" was a series of case studies, where you had to select articles and write about them on a selective basis, depending on your assessment as to whether they were important/newsworthy enough to report. Ignoring unimportant articles was an important part of this process.

The third was an interview with a senior manager.

In hindsight, the first interview appeared nothing more than a screen, as it had no influence on the remainder of the process, other than to either include or exclude you from a second interview.

The overall process took way too long from start to finish. The company refused to offer any feedback following completion, for any stage.

I was forced to state a required pay, even though I specifically stated that I would be happy to consider whatever the company deemed to be appropriate for the role. The interviewer refused to provide a pay range for people in the role, or the organisation. Given my willingness to be accommodating, this was a disappointing and somewhat confusing stance. It appears that my 'demand' ended up being far in excess of that which the role was offering, although the reality it wasn't a demand, merely a guess as to what the company might think appropriate for the role.

Normal hours in the role (NOT negotiable) start so early that, despite living close not far from their office, it would have been impossible for me to catch public transport and arrive on time. I'm unsure how they expect people to get in on time.

I asked about cycle to work scheme. They had no idea what I was talking about.

Management appeared to hold very strong views on the structure of their product, and did not seem appreciate objective feedback on strengths and weaknesses of their product.

Interview Question – For the first interview, questions were very much 'run of the mill' behavioural based questions. I doubt any overly insightful methodology was used to analyse the responses.   View Answer

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in December 2013.

Interview Details Applied online and heard back about a week later. 1st round included 3 tests (excel, financial markets and numerical) and an interview. the tests were really straightforward - make sure you understand how to use VLOOKUP, make pivot tables and use basic functions (like SUM, AVG etc). the numerical was particularly easy and the financial markets one was multiple choice. interview was relaxed - questions about my degree choice, why factset, why finance, why consulting, describe a day in the life of a consultant, what differentiates factset, run through your last 3 work experiences etc.

Heard back that evening that i was invited to the assessment centre next week. this included a group exercise (prioritising assignments), a talk and short exercise about how the factset platform works, lunch with two consultants, and finally a preprepared 10 minute teach exercise each applicant had to present about a subject of their choice.

Interview Question – What differentiates FactSet from our competitors?   View Answer

Interviewed at FactSet

Interview Details 3 stages: Tests + Interview, Assessment Centre, Final Interviews
Tests are taken in-house rather that online which is a bit odd. Excel, Financial Markets and Numeracy test. Don't need to do well in the FM test though all 3 are easy. For Excel, only make sure you know VLOOKUP. Just a short 25 min interview, they ask about what FactSet does and competitors/motivation.

Interview Question – Modify VLOOKUP on an Excel spreadsheet.   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant Interview

Interviewed at FactSet

Interview Details First round interview lasted about 15 minutes and was quite relaxed. Questions included: Why do you want to work for facset? What does factset do? What does a consultant do at facset? what skills do you think are important for a consultant? The 3 assessments, (numerical, financial awareness and excel) lasted 30 minutes each.

Interview Question – What is the difference between investment banking and investment management?   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet in July 2013.

Interview Details Application process includes cover letter & application form, first round interview and numeracy/excel/finance tests, assessment centre and final round interview.

First round interview lasted around 15 minutes with someone responsible for campus recruiting. Standard interview questions: Why Factset? Why consultancy? What is the most difficult thing you can do in Excel? Do you know the difference between IB and IM?

I was then taken to a small room to complete my tests. I had 90 minutes to complete all three in the order of my choice. The numeracy and excel tests were very straightforward. Finance a bit trickier as I don't have a financial background but with a little revision of definitions you shouldn't struggle.

For the assessment centre I was asked to prepare a "microteach" - a 10 minute lesson on a skill of my choice. I presented to 7 people (2 assessors). There was also a group task where you were given a list of a consultant's activities for the upcoming days, which you had to prioritise. Again this was in front of 2 assessors. Not particularly difficult, just requires some logical reasoning.

Interview Question – The whole process was quite straightforward.   Answer Question

Interviewed at FactSet

Interview Details 3 Tests (excel, finance and maths), HR interview. Assessment day, Final Interview.

Interview Question – Fairly standard, who are we? what do we do? Why FactSet?   Answer Question

Product Consultant Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FactSet in March 2013.

Interview Details Online application was pretty straightforward and well-structured. I was called in for a series of face-to-face interviews and tests at their office in London. The interviews were pretty straightforward and just tested your knowledge of the company and the activities of the product consultant, and the individuality of their platform. The finance test requires some knowledge of shares and indices, but is not difficult. The excel test was very easy. The maths test was pretty straightforward, but don't be complaisant, just requires a good understanding of fractions and percentages. I rushed the maths test and missed out on the pass mark by a few, which was disappointing. Seemed like a nice place to work though.

Interview Question – What differentiates our product from the competitors   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at FactSet

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at FactSet interview questions and advice. All 328 interview reviews are posted anonymously by FactSet employees and interview candidates.