FactSet

Average Difficulty
353 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details Attended first round testing and interviews following review of my online application. Testing comprised of maths, finance and Excel tests after a 1:1 interview. FactSet's HR department were very good and even gave feedback on my interview and tests after being told I was unsuccessful, this feedback has been very useful going forward.

Interview Question – Who are FactSet's main competitors?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
London, England

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

Interview Details online test for coding, and then telephone interview for technical questions, something about data structure and CV questions, and last, onsite interview, technical ones, and then final HR interview with the head of the department and the head of hr

Interview Question – an unfamiliar language similar to assembly language and you have to figure out something about it (not to write, but to understand)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they sent me an offer letter with salaries and all the other benefits on it, and I returned it within 2 days compared to other companies

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
London, England

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details I applied online to their website and got an email from the recruiter for a telephone interview. The telephone interview was mainly based on OOP concept and about the projects that I have worked on recently. The telephone interview was scheduled for 1 hour, but it lasted more than that. I was asked every single question on OOP concept. My programming language preference was Java, so was asked lots of question on that. Also asked question about software engineering process, lifecycle etc. Next it was mainly motivational questions like where do you see in next 5 years etc. They give importance about individual projects and go deep into technical details. After the telephone interview, within 1 week I got an invitation for an onsite interview. There were 3 stages of the interview. First a friendly chat and brief description about the company. Then came the technical round. Lots of questions on Tree, specially Binary Tree, their concept, implementation and optimization. Expect questions on Memory Leak, Stack Overflow etc. A piece of code was given and was asked to walk through the code. Another code was given and expected output was asked. This technical interview was very much rigorous and you need solid knowledge about Data Structure and Algorithms to face the questions. Next came the HR round, which comprised of typical questions, like which environment you prefer to work team or on your own and why etc.

Interview Question – Given a piece of code, modify the same to implement recursively. Now explain which implementation would be better in terms of performance, memory management and why? What would be the drawback for the recursive implementation?   View Answer

Graduate Consultant Interview

Graduate Consultant
London, England

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

Interview Details First stage: Online application- I orignally heard about FactSet through a friend who was recruiting for them at my University, he interviewed me on their behalf and put my name forward to the HR team at FactSet. They got in contact with me and told me to apply online anyway.

Second Stage: Assesment day (made up of Excel test, maths test and finance test) and short interview- The interview is ok, although you should know details about FactSet such as competitors and the size of the company (try to say more than just Bloomberg). Maths test I found very simple but I do a maths based degree so i guess it depends on the applicant. Qustions such as simultaneous equations and percentages. Excel; use of pivot tables wasn't required but you will be tested on V look up which I couldn't do at the time. Finance test, I had no prior knowledge of Finance but it wasn't difficult. Things like 'what does IPO stand for?' came up and naming some financial indecies.

Third stage: Assesment day 2- Consists of group work, a sort of networking activity, talks by current employees, lunch and personal presentations. The group work is simple, organising tasks based of importance. All the other applicants at this stage were highly intelligent and personable so your assigned team should gel nicely. Don't try too hard to stand out, the loudest and the quietest didn't seem to make it through to the next stage, but that is just my view on it. Only thing to worry about on this day is the personal presentation which I have mentioned later.

Fourth Stage: Final Interview- This was the stage I slipped up on. I had three interviewers (all about thirty years old) who fired questions at me in quick succession. Not going to lie I found the fact that there were three of them tough as you never enter what feels like a conversation with any of them. Questions range from; 'what product do you think FactSet should offer that it currently doesn't? 'how would you help a client who can't access the system? to 'when have you been challenged?' and 'other than FactSet what graduate schemes have you applied to?'. The last question I mentioned there I definitely messed up as I had mentioned previously that I applied to all insurance roles apart from FactSet. I don't know what sort of answer they are looking for but telling them that you have applied to their competitors may be a better move. Lasts about an hour.

After every other stage they had got back to me the following day with an email asking me to come in again, however after the final interview after no response for about a week I assumed the worst and emailed them asking about my progress. I think this could have been a mistake but guess I will never know as they told me they were just about to email me saying I hadn't got the job. Had about a twenty minute chat with someone there who gave great feedback citing the reason for rejecting me was the lack on depth in my answers at interview and lack of financial knowledge: probably both fair points.

FactSet were the best company I applied for, with a HR team that keeps you informed and was always friendly. I would highly reccomend applying here as the role seems good and the application process, although thorough, is well organised.

Interview Question – You have to do a presentation (I think they call it a microteach). This is not for the fainthearted and you need to be comfortable with speaking in front of 6 or so people. Google microteach, as getting an idea what to do is the toughest part because of the large scope.   View Answer

London, England

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details Called for my final interview for FactSet a few weeks ago.
It was based upon why I want to work for the company, and how I have experiences that would make me good at the role.

Interview Question – If a current client and a client who is on a trial of FactSet call you up at 5pm on a Friday, whose problem do you prioritise?   View Answer

London, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in April 2014.

Interview Details sent my CV, got a reply a few days later asking to attend an interview

Interview Question – I was unfamiliar with some of the finance questions   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in November 2013.

Interview Details 1st stage - Fill in a couple of questions online and submite CV
2nd stage - Face to Face interview and tests; 3 tests - one maths (very similar to gcse), one on finance knowledge and one of Excel (knowledge of confitional formatting, Vlookups, sorting, filtering etc needed)
3rd stage - Assessment centre - includes a group exercise where you have to discuss and prioritise a list of tasks and then you present a micro teach which is where you teach the est of the group a skill (examples include tying a tie, playing guitar chords, origami, how to bake a cake etc)
4th and final stage - interview with 2 senior managers. lots of the questions are siilar to the first interview but are a bit more intense and you have to know what oyou're talknig about - you can't blag it tb.

Interview Question – what did you like/dislike about your uni course?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not really any negotiation - they offered me a role and i accepted.

IT Consultant Interview

IT Consultant
London, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Interview Details The written test are straight forward, make sure you read the questions and do as it said.
Math: easy
Finance: French CAC, Financial statement
Excel: frozen panel, standard deviation
Interview questions:
Why IT consultant?
Do you know what we do?
Do you have experience in a client facing role?
Tell me what a factset IT consultant daily life is like.

Graduate Consultant Interview

Graduate Consultant

Interviewed at FactSet

Interview Details Had a 1st round interview, which included three tests and a half hour interview with one of Factset HR members.

Questions were
How did you here about Factset?
What information do our software give?
What would an investment management firm use our software for?
What differentiates us from our competitors?
What interests you about IT? How have you made sure you've kept upto date with IT, prove your interest?

Basically when preparing for the interview make sure you research the company thoroughly, they aren't going to ask you too much about yourself.

Good Luck!

Interview Question – what kind of data does our software provide?   Answer Question

Factset Interview

Factset

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Interview Details The process, from application, to third interview and final decision, took about eight weeks. Far too long in my opinion for a role of the nature I was applying for.

There were three interviews, first was a mostly behavioural/competency based interview, which was not unusual in nature.

The second was a test on accounting knowledge, (calculate ratios etc ), for a fictitious organisation. The second part to this "interview" was a series of case studies, where you had to select articles and write about them on a selective basis, depending on your assessment as to whether they were important/newsworthy enough to report. Ignoring unimportant articles was an important part of this process.

The third was an interview with a senior manager.

In hindsight, the first interview appeared nothing more than a screen, as it had no influence on the remainder of the process, other than to either include or exclude you from a second interview.

The overall process took way too long from start to finish. The company refused to offer any feedback following completion, for any stage.

I was forced to state a required pay, even though I specifically stated that I would be happy to consider whatever the company deemed to be appropriate for the role. The interviewer refused to provide a pay range for people in the role, or the organisation. Given my willingness to be accommodating, this was a disappointing and somewhat confusing stance. It appears that my 'demand' ended up being far in excess of that which the role was offering, although the reality it wasn't a demand, merely a guess as to what the company might think appropriate for the role.

Normal hours in the role (NOT negotiable) start so early that, despite living close not far from their office, it would have been impossible for me to catch public transport and arrive on time. I'm unsure how they expect people to get in on time.

I asked about cycle to work scheme. They had no idea what I was talking about.

Management appeared to hold very strong views on the structure of their product, and did not seem appreciate objective feedback on strengths and weaknesses of their product.

Interview Question – For the first interview, questions were very much 'run of the mill' behavioural based questions. I doubt any overly insightful methodology was used to analyse the responses.   View Answer

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!