FactSet

FactSet Interview Questions

Updated 29 Jan 2015
Updated 29 Jan 2015

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

1. Online application which included answering some questions and submitting your CV
    2. Online test (Finance, Numerical). Numerical was very easy. Finance was easy, but you had to know some financial terms and the names of some stock exchanges and indices.
    3. Interview & Excel Test. Interview was pretty easy and conversational. Asked me to describe what Factset does, who were their customers, etc. Also asked about my CV and experiences. Excel test also easy, but I did not know some basic stuff. You should know: freeze panes, vlookup, average & sum & standard deviation formulas, if conditioning to color code some cells.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was easy and the questions were mainly those that are already discussed in this forum. But the interviewer also asked what kind of company information and what sort of companies do Investment Bankers look at for M&A.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

Two rounds of interviews. the first one is an one-to-one, the second one is assessment centre which includes Microtech, group exercise and demonstration of Factset platform. The first one is quite easy.
    all based on CV and quite laid back.

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in January 2015.

I applied online. Aplication form is very similar to other companies: answering some questions, information about your education, work experience, if any, etc. After I passed the tests (Finance, Numerical) I was invited to an interview and in-house excel test the following week.With e-mail I was also sent SJT which needed to be compelted and send them back. The interview was average, easy for me as I did some research and was perpared for almost every question.

Interview Questions
    • all questions were not difficult or unexpected at all, like why consultancy, describe th econsultant's day responsibilities, what are the company's clients, what a difference in information are needed for IB and IM.....   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

30 minute interview that focused almost entirely on financial questions, which seemed difficult to me, coming from a non-financial background. You need to be very aware of what their products are and how they could be used by their clients. Three tests - numerical, financial and Excel-based. They aren't too hard and you've got plenty of time to complete them.

Interview Questions
    • How would investment bankers use information provided by FactSet to evaluate mergers and acquisitions?   Answer Question

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet.

I applied by submitting the application form, I was then invited to a Google chat interview. The questions varied between competency based and technical questions about the role. In addition to the the standard competency and motivation questions, make sure you have researched the company, what they do and their competitors and be prepared to discuss the role thoroughly.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected questions if you go through the previous posts here
      - what is the difference between IM and IB
      - How do these use our software differently

Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet.

I applied online. The procedure was not surprising. Their HR is accommodating.

1. Introduction of yourself.
    2. How much do you know about the company?
    3. Why do you think your skill fits?
    4. The difference between pointer and reference?
    5. Why use reference more?
    6. How do you test a program that sorts an array of strings?

Interview Questions
    • What is the best data structure to store sorted phone book data?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at FactSet in November 2014.

Completed application form and completed online tests (numerical and finance). Both tests are really easy, not coming from a finance background i thought this part would be hard however its a walk in the park and if your stuck you can always use google!
    I was invited for a face to face interview, was faced with most of the questions that are said here, one question really put me off where she really grilled me for what part of finance i actually am interested in the most ! Interviewer was not very friendly at all, 15 minutes late and seemed she did not want to be there. Was told i would get a response by friday, had to wait until the next week to email them to finally find out i was unsuccessful. Very unprofessional interview process imo.

Interview Questions
    • If one of your clients switched to on our competitors what would your course of action be?   Answer Question

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet in November 2014.

Filled in online application
    Got sent request to do online test - consisted of numerical test and financial test ( basic, you could have googled the answers whilst doing the test)
    Got a response in 2 weeks and invited for face-to-face interview
    After interview - had to do excel test,not sure how this went. I thought it went okay- I shall ask for feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Because I had researched, i found the following questions easy to answer:
      What do you think FactSet does?
      Who are our competitors?
      How would someone use FactSet?

Unexpected questions
       Who else have you applied to? (I answered truthfully by mentioning PwC and credit Suisse - i don't know how the interviewer took this)

Another question which threw me off was: How did you hear about FactSet? I answered by saying the came to a career fair at my university- which was true. she then went on to ask me who was teh representative and I said I had forgotten their name. (Again, don't know how the interview took this)

These were the only 2 questions in the interview I struggled with

View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at FactSet in November 2014.

The Phone interview lasted for 48 minutes and I was asked motivational questions and OOP questions like the 4 features of OOP and advantage of each one.
    about public, private where to use them.
    about integers.
    recursive.
    call by value and by reference.
    data structure:
    like deference between tree and hash table collision in hash table,
    example of server and what is the best data structure the answer was queue and then asked about the priority queue.
    and about my projects

Interview Questions
    the offer I got was for internship coz I don't have enough projects

Graduate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at FactSet in November 2014.

Numerical and Excel-based test and Interview about the CV. They try to make sure that you are 100% informed about the role you applied for.
    Make sure you know how to explain all you previous internships and/or job experiences and show how you have acquired essential skills that are in line with the job you're applying for.
    Be informed about the company and its competitors as they will ask you questions about that.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the difference between the buy side and the sell side   Answer Question