FactSet Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

Financial Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

Initial stage - Online tests: I was given a numerical test, an excel test (basic; know how to use vlookup, conditional formatting etc), and a financial knowledge test (all calculation questions have formulae provided, but you should know things like index and exchange locations)

Face to face interview: Basic questions about why factset, why finance etc, along with some financial competency questions (difference between IB/IM, how would a portfolio manager use our software)

Interview Questions
    • What company indicators would someone in M&A look for in our software when looking to make an acquisition? How would a buy side trader use our software compared to sell side?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

Application + 1 hour Phone interview, 3 hours on site interview including product demo, technical screening and soft skill session. Tech part was really challenging in terms of data structure questions...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in July 2014.

After the first step of submitting the application form, I was invited to a Google chat. The questions were a mix of the typical ones such as ''Why Consulting?'', ''Tell me about FactSet?'', etc and some more targeted to the position such as favourite part of the Finance world, why; difference between Investment Management and IB; You need to know a lot about the company because after the typical question about clients they asked you to explain what kind of their products would be used by the different clients and how their software would help the professionals. It will also be useful to read through the annual report in order to answer questions about their competitors.
    If you were successful with the interview they send you 3 tests- numerical, financial markets and an Excel one. The numerical- pretty easy, financial markets- easy for people with genuine interest in the financial world, the Excel test- not too complicated, but it's a weird online version which does not allow you to do a lot while using the programme, I found that irritating. After you complete these, they send you another Excel test, again not difficult, you download it so it's a normal version, the pressure is the time.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favourite part of Finance? (It was tricky for me since I could not say that there is anything in particular that I am crazy about.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Attended first round testing and interviews following review of my online application. Testing comprised of maths, finance and Excel tests after a 1:1 interview. FactSet's HR department were very good and even gave feedback on my interview and tests after being told I was unsuccessful, this feedback has been very useful going forward.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

online test for coding, and then telephone interview for technical questions, something about data structure and CV questions, and last, onsite interview, technical ones, and then final HR interview with the head of the department and the head of hr

Interview Questions
    • an unfamiliar language similar to assembly language and you have to figure out something about it (not to write, but to understand)   View Answer
    they sent me an offer letter with salaries and all the other benefits on it, and I returned it within 2 days compared to other companies

Graduate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in February 2014.

First stage: Online application- I orignally heard about FactSet through a friend who was recruiting for them at my University, he interviewed me on their behalf and put my name forward to the HR team at FactSet. They got in contact with me and told me to apply online anyway.

Second Stage: Assesment day (made up of Excel test, maths test and finance test) and short interview- The interview is ok, although you should know details about FactSet such as competitors and the size of the company (try to say more than just Bloomberg). Maths test I found very simple but I do a maths based degree so i guess it depends on the applicant. Qustions such as simultaneous equations and percentages. Excel; use of pivot tables wasn't required but you will be tested on V look up which I couldn't do at the time. Finance test, I had no prior knowledge of Finance but it wasn't difficult. Things like 'what does IPO stand for?' came up and naming some financial indecies.

Third stage: Assesment day 2- Consists of group work, a sort of networking activity, talks by current employees, lunch and personal presentations. The group work is simple, organising tasks based of importance. All the other applicants at this stage were highly intelligent and personable so your assigned team should gel nicely. Don't try too hard to stand out, the loudest and the quietest didn't seem to make it through to the next stage, but that is just my view on it. Only thing to worry about on this day is the personal presentation which I have mentioned later.

Fourth Stage: Final Interview- This was the stage I slipped up on. I had three interviewers (all about thirty years old) who fired questions at me in quick succession. Not going to lie I found the fact that there were three of them tough as you never enter what feels like a conversation with any of them. Questions range from; 'what product do you think FactSet should offer that it currently doesn't? 'how would you help a client who can't access the system? to 'when have you been challenged?' and 'other than FactSet what graduate schemes have you applied to?'. The last question I mentioned there I definitely messed up as I had mentioned previously that I applied to all insurance roles apart from FactSet. I don't know what sort of answer they are looking for but telling them that you have applied to their competitors may be a better move. Lasts about an hour.

After every other stage they had got back to me the following day with an email asking me to come in again, however after the final interview after no response for about a week I assumed the worst and emailed them asking about my progress. I think this could have been a mistake but guess I will never know as they told me they were just about to email me saying I hadn't got the job. Had about a twenty minute chat with someone there who gave great feedback citing the reason for rejecting me was the lack on depth in my answers at interview and lack of financial knowledge: probably both fair points.

FactSet were the best company I applied for, with a HR team that keeps you informed and was always friendly. I would highly reccomend applying here as the role seems good and the application process, although thorough, is well organised.

Interview Questions
    • You have to do a presentation (I think they call it a microteach). This is not for the fainthearted and you need to be comfortable with speaking in front of 6 or so people. Google microteach, as getting an idea what to do is the toughest part because of the large scope.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at FactSet.

I applied online to their website and got an email from the recruiter for a telephone interview. The telephone interview was mainly based on OOP concept and about the projects that I have worked on recently. The telephone interview was scheduled for 1 hour, but it lasted more than that. I was asked every single question on OOP concept. My programming language preference was Java, so was asked lots of question on that. Also asked question about software engineering process, lifecycle etc. Next it was mainly motivational questions like where do you see in next 5 years etc. They give importance about individual projects and go deep into technical details. After the telephone interview, within 1 week I got an invitation for an onsite interview. There were 3 stages of the interview. First a friendly chat and brief description about the company. Then came the technical round. Lots of questions on Tree, specially Binary Tree, their concept, implementation and optimization. Expect questions on Memory Leak, Stack Overflow etc. A piece of code was given and was asked to walk through the code. Another code was given and expected output was asked. This technical interview was very much rigorous and you need solid knowledge about Data Structure and Algorithms to face the questions. Next came the HR round, which comprised of typical questions, like which environment you prefer to work team or on your own and why etc.

Interview Questions
    • Given a piece of code, modify the same to implement recursively. Now explain which implementation would be better in terms of performance, memory management and why? What would be the drawback for the recursive implementation?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at FactSet in April 2014.

sent my CV, got a reply a few days later asking to attend an interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in March 2014.

Called for my final interview for FactSet a few weeks ago.
    It was based upon why I want to work for the company, and how I have experiences that would make me good at the role.

Interview Questions
    • If a current client and a client who is on a trial of FactSet call you up at 5pm on a Friday, whose problem do you prioritise?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at FactSet in November 2013.

1st stage - Fill in a couple of questions online and submite CV
    2nd stage - Face to Face interview and tests; 3 tests - one maths (very similar to gcse), one on finance knowledge and one of Excel (knowledge of confitional formatting, Vlookups, sorting, filtering etc needed)
    3rd stage - Assessment centre - includes a group exercise where you have to discuss and prioritise a list of tasks and then you present a micro teach which is where you teach the est of the group a skill (examples include tying a tie, playing guitar chords, origami, how to bake a cake etc)
    4th and final stage - interview with 2 senior managers. lots of the questions are siilar to the first interview but are a bit more intense and you have to know what oyou're talknig about - you can't blag it tb.

Interview Questions
    not really any negotiation - they offered me a role and i accepted.

Worked for FactSet? Contribute to the Community!