Farmers Automobile Insurance Interview Questions

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance.

I applied from an online website. It was advertised as being a new local recruiting effort, but I got called from a person in another state. I showed up to my interview with the name of who I was interviewing with and no one knew what I was talking about.

When I was seated at the conference table a different person showed up (the local regional director). I did not understand the connection until the end of the interview.

The interview itself was informative and straightforward. There was a lot of push on the "earning potential" (which always raises red flags for me), however, I do my research and decide if this is worth taking the chance.

Despite many negative reviews, it seems that my regional director tries to be as transparent as possible. I appreciate this and plan to take the next steps.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't really a hard question to answer, but I was surprised by the response he had to one of mine. He asked how long I had been wanting to work in the insurance business and I told him that this was something of a whim. I said that I don't work nine to five as well as I should, that I want a business opportunity that keeps me from having a boss, and that I like to set my own pace.

He shared his start up story and related to hating to being terminated and wanting to not have that any more. He described a time of hitting his head against a wall and just applying for this along with a number of other jobs. This was not special at first and I appreciated his candid response.
        Answer Question
    There is no pay to negotiate. I get what I earn in commission only, and after I have paid for the license and other aspects of doing the job.

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in May 2012.

Typical insurance interview. Passed all test and initial phobe screening but did not make the cut for the in perdon interview. Seemed like they are very selective.

Med/PIP Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Novi, MI (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in March 2012.

I applied online for the position, and I was contacted via email a couple of days later by a regional HR rep. I had to first complete a pre-employment intelligence test that consisted of 3 parts. 1) A policy component. Basically read through examples of a hypothetical company's policies and then answer questions based on what you would do in different situations based on policy 2) A grammer section which resembled something you might see on a SAT/GMAT test. 3) A math component (mostly basic algebra, percentages, fractions). Overall, a fairly easy test, but you may want to brush up on some basic math stuff if it's been a while. Along with the intelligence test, there was also a 10 minute personality test, where you mostly just pick what adjectives describe you and your ideal work environment.

After passing the tests, the regional HR rep sent me an email setting up an initial phone screen. Interview was pretty basic. She started off describing the position in more detail (positional requirements, salary -42k/yr, hrs 830-5 M-F), as well as asking why I was interested and other basic interview questions. She then had 3 behavioral based questions, which is what they use for most of their on-site interviews. For those unfamiliar, it's basically them asking you a question like, "describe when you had to balance multiple tasks to meet deadlines successfully." And they emphasize that you give very specific examples of the situation and specific steps of action you took to achieve your result. She told me I did an excellent job at giving detailed responses and invited me to set up an on-site panel interview at the local office.

This is where my experience turned negative. I was scheduled to interview on-site at 11:00 AM, but they were running quite behind and I didn't get into the interview room until about 11:40. After being introduced to the rest of the panel, they apologized for running behind, so they were "going to have to hurry through this to catch up." Asked me the basic "tell me about yourself" then asked me a series of 5 behavioral based questions similar to what the HR rep had asked on the phone. After the third question, one of the panelists stopped taking notes on my answers and just sat there looking bored. I thought it was pretty rude. Even if you weren't satisfied with my answers, I think she should have at least pretended to seem somewhat interested and at least doodled on the paper lol. At the end of the interview, the panelist refused to give me a card with her information, so I could follow up with her. Thought that was quite peculiar as well. Anyway the other two panelists were at least much more respectful. I'm not really sure what happened with the entire situation. Probably wasn't my best interview, but I felt I wasn't given a very fair shot either. Hope others have better luck. They did send me an email a few days later thanking me for coming in, but they were going in a different direction.

Interview Questions
    • "Describe a time when knowing your organizational's culture helped you work out a positive solution" - only one that really caught me a little off guard   Answer Question
    • Practice basic customer service, time management, communication questions and you'll be fine. Easy to find with basic google search   Answer Question

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

The process took a dayinterviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in January 2012.

The office was friendly but seemed a little unorganized and overcapacity. The interview was more informative about the company with very few questions about my skill. Seemed like a pitch to come was an insurance salesman, lots of money promised and not much by way of professional development.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in October 2011.

Watched a brief video, then District Manager went through a 30 min presentation describing the process of become an agent. Information sounded good until I decided to find more information online a stumbled across numerous website stating that they were unhappy with Farmer's training process and felt like they were caught up in a scam of some sort. Decided to decline offer from that point on.

Claims Office Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in September 2011.

I applied online and was contacted 2 days later by a recruiter. She then explained the next step in the process. She sent emails to me with links to a personality test, mini IQ test (mathematics and grammar), online typing test, and a times management module. The module gave various tasks of listening to voicemail, checking email, and answering math problems. It was all pretty stressful but I passed everything. With regards to the IQ test, study wonderlic questions and brush up on fractions and percents. Some of the vocabulary was basic spelling and some was matching.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to say no to a customer.   Answer Question

I was asked to come for a 1:1 interview but after doing more research regarding the position, chose not to.

Estimate In Hand Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in September 2011.

I went in for a 1 on 1 interview and a typing test, then went to a "Group" interview, which consisted of me and 1 other person. Then I got asked scenario based questions, after which I looked over the shoulder of someone doing their job. Overall, it was degrating and humiliating and a waste of time. I've never been through something so unorganized and clearly they were scrambling to do their jobs, let alone interview people. The interviewers tried to act more important than they are, which is a sure sign of ineptitude in a manager and a red flag for all interviewees.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to make a difficult decision   View Answer

It's one of those jobs where they try to make it seem better than it is. I mean come on, a group interview? I turned it down because it was a sham - the position is pathetic as a child could do it and the people are fat losers. Plus, Janet Alenhoffen (the recruiter) is a b#$&^ who has no idea about life, let alone what she's doing. I couldn't stop laughing at her during the interview. Lol, I am laughing just thinking about her.

Claims Adjuster Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in August 2011.

Initial interview started with a telephone interview. Once accepted, I undertook a mini SAT/ACT test, as well as an online behaviorial test. Then I was offered an in person interview, which I will take soon.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us a specific example of a situation where you had to deal with an angry customer-how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in July 2011.

Typing test (need over 40 wpm and less than 4 errors), then there was a quick tour and had a 30 minute job shadow. It was a very laid back office and cubicle setting. next was a panel interview. 2 supervisors asked me about 15 behavioral questions. they were all easy and was pretty informal s we got off topic many times. this took about 40 mins and then i went for a short interview with the Manager who over sees the building. That took about 20 mins and was more behavioral and getting to know you questions.

Liability Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Farmers Automobile Insurance in June 2011.

It took a long time to get the interview set up because the manager was busy. The interview was long. It took approximately an hour and a half. For most of the questions, they wanted specific examples of a situation and how I handled it.

It was obvious that a couple of the interviewers did not have very much experience interviewing people as they seemed very unorganized and not quite sure what to ask next.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you did something wrong and what did you do to correct it.   Answer Question
    • If you have a difficult customer what steps do you take to resolve their issues.   Answer Question

After talking with some of the employees, I realized it was not the best fit for me.