Forrester Research

Getting the Interview

16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Forrester Research in August 2007.

Interview Details The experience I had was relatively quick by company standards -- normally the process takes a month or two, where in my case it was a matter of weeks. I had 5 interviews prior to receiving an offer. In the order in which they occurred:

1) Phone interview with Director of European research
2) Phone interview with Research Director of my prospective team
3) 3 separate Face to face interviews (2 senior analysts, and 1 RA)

Everyone was friendly and imparted a strong positive company culture. The questions were varied, but focused mostly around IT markets (at the time the team I was applying for looked mainly at IT services and outsourcing). At this level they're not looking for someone who has expert knowledge in the subject area and basic knowledge should suffice. The key things they do look for are communication skills, writing ability, project management, and attention to detail.

My advice (especially once at the face-to-face interview phase), is to try to answer any questions about the IT market, but if you can't try to bring things back to topics you know about and are comfortable speaking about. A lot of the people in the company come from varied backgrounds and didn't join from IT backgrounds themselves so the key goal should be to prove your communication and writing skills.

Interview Question – What's your knowledge of the main trends in the IT outsourcing market?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much. Given the low level of the position they're not willing to compromise very much.

Analyst firms like Forrester typically give a base salary + bonus. The area where there might be flexibility is in the bonus, so when negotiating that's where I'd focus. Its pretty tough to get them to move on the base salary unless they really need you or you're applying at a more senior level.

Cambridge, MA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Forrester Research in October 2013.

Interview Details Initial dialogue was made by a recruiter via Linked In in-mail. He/she would be the main contact in the hiring process.Then a phone interview as a screening process started within 1-2 weeks. If they felt the candidates have the right skill sets and background, they might bring them on-site for further group interview etc.

Interview Question – No technical questions were asked during initial screening process. The corporate recruiters were easy going and asking basic questions regarding the candidates' work history and relevant project experience.   View Answer

Boston, MA (US)

Interviewed at Forrester Research

Interview Details Initial Communication was great, but faded as the interview process got longer. The process was long - 1 phone interview with the HR Recruiter. This recruiter then becomes your contact for the rest of the process. I then had 2 separate phone interviews with different vice presidents, and one 4-hour in person interview. Also had to take a skills test during the in-person interview.

Interview Question – A series of "either/or" questions that don't really have right or wrong answers. IE: "do you prefer working alone or in groups?" When I tried to say I can do both, the interviewer told me to pick one.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Forrester Research

Interview Details I got an email from a recruiter saying she wanted to connect and talk about my background because she thought I was a good fit. 30 minutes prior to the interview, she vowed rescheduled and I never set a date. I had to call another recruiter and speak with her. She told me she would contact me within a few days to speak with a hiring manager, and after 3 emails and a phone call on my behalf, I never heard back.

Interview Question – The initial interview was very easy.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Forrester Research

Interview Details Had a phone interview with a recruiter, phone interview with hiring manager, then a rather intensive 3 hour interview with multiple people on the team

Interview Question – If you won the lotto, what would you do with it?   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Forrester Research.

Interview Details Phone Interview

Interview Question – Question were routine.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Forrester Research

Interview Details I applied online through a job website and received a phone call from a recruiter. She told me the nonnegotiable salary at the end of our first call. I was interviewed by about 5 people, 3 of which were by videoconferencing from the Boston office. Though the San Francisco office is very nice, I think it's true that the Boston office is more in the limelight and a lot of communications occur not in person. Though the salary seemed too low, the job itself sounded good for someone very interested in doing a lot of assistant-type tasks in data searching, organization, and communication and coordination between individuals on the team.

Interview Question – Give a 5 minute presentation on the topic of your choice.   View Answer

Interviewed at Forrester Research

Interview Details The interview process was very well organized and executed. There was a phone screening with HR, then a phone interview with 2-3 analysts, and then an in-person interview the 3-4 members of the team.

Interview Question – If you were to get rid of one state in the US, which would it be and why?   View Answers (69)

Cambridge, MA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Forrester Research in April 2012.

Interview Details I found the hiring process to be fairly exhaustive for an entry-level position - I went through a phone screen with an HR person, then an additional half-hour screening with the hiring manager, then a 2.5-hour in-person interview with members of the hiring team. I was declined for the first position I interviewed for but HR recommended a different position for me, and I went through the whole process all over again - altogether it took 3 months between first interview and my start date.

Interview Question – The questions were fairly straightforward and common - questions about ideal working environment, most difficult work environment, most difficult boss, etc - the hard part was talking about negative experiences in a positive light.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As it was an entry-level position, negotiation was almost non-existent. Even before we got to the offer phase, the HR rep was very straightforward - "this is the starting salary and it's non-negotiable."

Cambridge, MA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Forrester Research in June 2012.

Interview Details Submitted my application online and had a phone interview set up five business days later. The phone interview occurred roughly two weeks after I'd submitted my application and it was pretty standard: resume questions and personal experiences. The interviewer was friendly and the conversation pretty enjoyable. However, he did tell me near the end that this position would not reimburse candidate travel. Given that I was about a thousand miles away, I suggested setting up a skype interview in lieu of an in-person one. He seemed amenable to that but stated that the person making the decision would be the hiring manager, who never wrote me back (although a different position I interviewed for with Forrester was ok with a skype interview, so apparently it depends on the manager).

Interview Question – The questions were pretty standard. Look at other reviews for more specifics but basically just know what the company does, what the position does, why you're interested, and how it fits into your background and future goals.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Forrester Research

Worked for Forrester Research? Contribute to the Community!

Forrester Research Videos

Forrester Research – Why Work for Us?

A global research and advisory firm, Forrester Research (Nasdaq: FORR) serves professionals in 13 key roles across three distinct client segments. Our clients face progressively complex business and technology decisions… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Forrester Research Research Associate interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Forrester Research employees and interview candidates.