GEICO

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at GEICO in June 2014.

Interview Details I'm still in the interview process, but thought I'd write about my experience so far before a decision is made. I noticed that reviews where an offer was made tend to be more positive. I applied online at geico.com and a day or two later I received an e-mail for phone interview. Phone interview lasted about 15 minutes. Young lady, friendly yet to the point. I was asked very general questions to ensure I understood the role. Once she was done I was invited to do a pre-employment test, but I could only do it on a desktop. When I confirmed that I own a laptop she told me it could only be desktop and once she sent the e-mail I had one hour to complete the test and was required to e-mail her once completed to confirm this was done within the hour. This was completely unexpected. I had less than an hour to get to the nearest public library and start the test. My nearest one was closed so I had to drive about 10 minutes to another. I was able to complete the test in the hour and let her know. The recruiter called me back and invited me to another phone interview. This interview was more in-depth and involved questions about my previous work and the Adjuster role. A few yes or no answers, but the usual "tell me a time when..." They wants of details and play-by-plays, especially on how you manage your time - and I mean specific. I got the sense when we finished that I didn't do so well.

Interview Question – For me, the most difficult/unexpected questions were those directly involving the role. For example, "You quote a car for 5 hours labor, but the body shop thinks it should be 9. Please explain in detail how you would respond to this." Or "Your supervisor wants to meet an average of 22 labor hours per month and you average 21, putting you in the middle. What would your response be?"   Answer Question

Auto Damage Adjuster
Long Island City, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in March 2012.

Interview Details Filled out application, got call next day and set up in person test for 2 weeks later. 2 weeks after taking test got call for phone interview, then day after phone interview in person interview. They were really impressed, then ran background drug test and driving record. Whole process was slowed down by holidays but took about six weeks.

Interview Question – Role playing of an angry customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, salary based on experience and location.

Auto Damage Adjuster

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details Multiple steps. First was phone interview. Then an in person interview followed by role play and a spatial relations test on paper.

Interview Question – No curve balls here. Just the usual.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They told me what they pay, that's it. I was happy just to get the offer.

Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online - interviewed at GEICO in February 2014.

Interview Details Very drawn out, 1 week plus between each correspondence. Made it through second interview, 50 minutes worth. Got an email saying thanks but no thanks.

Interview Question – Lots of experience questions that I had problems answering. Have lots of skills but that didn't
help out much.
  Answer Question

Bridgeport, CT (US)

I applied online - interviewed at GEICO in March 2014.

Interview Details I was told that I didn't pass the pre-employment test. Although I got every question right on the visual (counting how many blocks were touching each other) and all but one question correct on the reading comprehension I was told I failed! How is this possible? I was told that it didn't matter how many questions I answered. It was more important to get the questions correct. After the test the man told me that I didn't finish enough questions and that is why I failed. I answered all but 2 on the reading comprehension and I answered 12 of the visual. I feel that I was picked off because I am a woman. Pror to the testing there were four of us sitting in a room. The instructor explained that this was not a "desk" job while glaring directly at me. He went on to say that the job would be performed out in the field at accident scenes and autobody shops. He continued to say that it would be best to leave now if anyone misunderstood the job description. 23 out of 24 is a 95 (That's an A) Thanks Geico!!

Auto Damage Adjuster

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GEICO.

Interview Details This was a long Process over the course of 2 months. It was hard to tell what the next step was as I feel it started bit backwards.
1. Was the initial phone call. Pretty standard, this step was looking for the basic information.
2. Was an online assessment test. This consisted of being able to identify sequences and count the number of touching boxes in a 3d image.
3. was the driving record and credit check.
4. was the phone interview ( about 1/3 hour, basic questions).
5. was a 1x1 interview with one of the regional supervisors. For me, this went about 1 & 1/3 hours as they had a multi-page print out of numerous questions. Many of the questions were identical to the phone interview, so this part almost felt counterproductive. The interview in general was very positive, and seems like I had the position at this point, which left the next step...
6. The Dreaded Role Play Session. For me, this was 10 minutes after my 1x1 ( I wish I knew, I would have eaten before the interview). As previously described, it saw me left in a room (which I was suppose to pretend was my office) to review a packet of information and listen to a CD of instructions for 30 minutes. The information had me as a Damage Adjuster for a made-up company called Occidental Equipment group, which was basically an insurance company for a variety of equipment. I had to review ( in this 30 minutes) how to fill out multiple internal forms regarding claims, and how the adjustment and payour process went. This was a lot of information, but was pretty basic. The key seemed to be in knowing how deductibles worked/applied, and how the company determined if a payout was to be made or not. This seemed really easy, until you begin the scenarios.
     Your are given 5 minutes between the CD ending and the first "call" ( I had to use my cell phone as the room did not contain an actual phone. This made it awkward when other phone calls for other positions came in during this roleplay time) where the supervisor I interviewed with called as a service rep for the fake company, with a priority claim. This meant taking down claim number, name, item damaged. location. On my phone it was hard to hear just what the damaged item was, and I missed writing down the address.
    Almost right after that another staff member came in as a customer, looking to get a claim settled. He had all the paper work written out, but acted as a disinterested/unknowing client. For me, there was a misinformation here that the repaired item was under manufactures warranty and was going to be sent to the manufacturer for repair. I mistook this for the 'client' not having a place to send it for repair, and basic information on what the manufacture says the repair would cost. Instead of sending this 'client' with a payout check, I told them we would have to look into and estimate the coverage and get back to them.

The rest of the scenarios followed much like this, with very little ( 2-3 minutes) downtime before shifting gears to another step. I feel that at the end I was more confident nd able t ohandle the "negotiations" with a repair company for a smaller rate, and contacting a "client" to tell them their item was at a total loss. But this may have been too little too late.

I'm awaiting a supposed 48 turn around to hear back with a yay or nay.

Interview Question – During the Role Play, every document ( as well as personal notes you made) are taken and graded somehow in order to determine if you passed or not. Safe to say, I was not expecting a physical graded aspect.   Answer Question

Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at GEICO in August 2012.

Interview Details Non disclosure agreements, vague timelines, no firm answers very secretive.

Interview Question – Interpreting the real meaning behind the questions asked. Example: Are you willing to travel from South of Richmond to Alexandria? This does not mean on occasion, this means you will be stationed somewhere at random in there and they haven't decided which wolf pack to give you to. The director encourages people being stationed as far from home as possible as a sign of dedication. Be sure that you will wind up (at least at first) at the most inconvenient spot possible.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was made an offer as an internal hire, no negotiation was honored on salary. You are cornered and pressured into taking what they give you for fear of having your acceptance withdrawn. I was made a verbal offer that was forgotten by the offerer, and unverifiable by any other party.

Dallas, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in March 2010.

Interview Details Very intense several interviews and a mock senario of your worst customers.

Interview Question – Worst was the senario. There is no real way to prepare yourself.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very cut and dry. No negotation because they offered me a fair wage right from the start.

Washington, DC (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at GEICO in November 2013.

Interview Details Applied online. Started with phone interview--Very short and simple. Next was the skills evaluation test conducted online while on the phone with a GEICO representative. (Just there to answer any potential questions during the test). The test was two parts. First part--reading comprehension where you read a short piece of writing and answer questions about it after. Very easy. The next part is where you have to count how many blocks there are on this figure. Kinda tricky, but relatively easy if you just think a little. The entire test of both parts has to be completed in like 30 minutes. It's timed. But don't worry if you don't finish. It is all about getting the questions that you do answer right.

The next interview was a personal interview where you have to sit down in a office with a representative. Very formal/typical interview. However, the manager that you are interviewing with has a 15 pages (no exaggeration) of questions to ask. He asked. I answered. He wrote down the answer. This took almost 2 hours! Very boring, but easy if you know how to talk yourself up a bit. Most of the questions were in the format of: Tell me of a time when you demonstrated excellent customer service? Tell me of a time when you failed a customer? Mostly questions like that. Not difficult. But A LOT of questions like that. Think fast, be descriptive, and fabricate the truth a little in order to talk yourself up, and be enthusiastic and you will do fine.

The final interview was INTENSE. For me anyways. This is not so much an interview, but a role playing scenario. When I went in, there was 3 other applicants there too. We were all there for the role playing scenario. You are put in an office with 30 minutes to listen to this recording of a man reading the same documents that have in front of you. Essentially, it is a false company that you are working for doing the same kind of work. Or dealing with the same forms and documents anyways. The managers/interviews come in and out of the office acting as angry customers. It is pretty much a test of your patients and customer services skills. However, filling out all of the documents correctly (and have to memorize all the instructions in 30 minutes from the recording) is very important! They somehow grade it. I struggled with this part of the "interview". I could not remember all of the 30 minutes of instructions and ran out of time. I was not able to finish all of the documents.

Interview Question – "Why GEICO?"   View Answer

Newton, MA (US)

I applied through another source and the process took a day - interviewed at GEICO in November 2013.

Interview Details Attended a job fair. FIrst was in a room where we had to fill out a quick form (arrest record/visa sponsorship, etc) and watch a 10 minute video. Then they called us into another room 6-8 at a time to take some tests. The 2 tests were reading a passage and answering some questions and also a test with a "spacial visilization" componet where we had to tell how many blocks a coresponding item was touching. What this has to do with being an auto adjuster I don't know. This takes 25 minutes and unless you pass both exams you are already weeded out. 3 out of the 7 in my group didn't make the cut. If you make it then you have an in person interview. To me to put that much emphasis on tests when people are already neverous for the interview and to make it timed, your're probably missing out on quite a few good canidates.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. They asked the same question multiple times just worded differently. Something to the extent of "auto damage adjusters have a to deal with a lot of stress/workload and upset people....are you ok with this"   Answer Question

Worked for GEICO? Contribute to the Community!