GameStop

Getting the Interview

40 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Store Manager Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at GameStop in May 2010.

Interview Details The first interview is done by template, with very by the numbers questions regarding your work ethic and ability to provide customer service. If you are African=American or Hispanic the interviewer will ask you various questions regarding your education, and various other questions they cannot legally ask regarding your living situation and personal life. They will genuinely surprised if you have a degree from any college or university.

i wish I was joking but I've worked in almost every neighborhood in the city and literally every person of color I have worked with or trained has reported receiving this treatment at some point during the interview process.

Interview Question – "What is your ideal job, including hours worked per week and pay?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none. I joined the company in 2004 as a minimum wage cashier. The next year I moved up to assistant manager. Then in 2008 I moved up to store manager. In every instance my pay was determined before any conversation had taken place, my choices in every case were either accept the pay or don't move up.

The annual review scoring structure was changed in 2010 so that no matter how well you do as a salaried manager, you will never get more than a 3% raise per year.

San Diego, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details I knew a District Manager. All i did was make a phone call, i met with him and i was hired.. literally that simple

Interview Question – Why i left intially   View Answer

Negotiation Details – heres what i can pay you.. OK.

Interviewed at GameStop

Interview Details Initially I was hired as holiday help. The interview was brief and informal, mostly a long chat with the manager.

Interview Question – A lot of people struggle with simple math questions, like if I ask how much 10% off of 70$ is.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Starting out as a part timer, wages are almost always minimum.

Interviewed at GameStop

Interview Details I was hired in as part time and worked my way up through the company, I never received a formal interview for my current position

Negotiation Details – n/a

West Nyack, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at GameStop in January 2010.

Interview Details Hiring process consisted of online submission of my resume and cover letter which was then selected by the District Manager that was interested in the hire. Interview was typical - boiler plate questions followed by detailed, yet brief answers. Generally was a positive experience.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult about this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The District Manager offered me a position in a closely neighboring state - but because of the travel and difference in state income taxes, I requested extra compensation for the difference. I was given this compensation.

Philadelphia, PA (US)

I applied in-person - interviewed at GameStop in May 2011.

Interview Details When I interviewed for GameStop I was told to meet the district manager at a store that was not close to my home. I got there about 15 minutes early and let the employee of the store know I was there to meet with the DM. After about 45 minutes I was still waiting. I asked the store employee if he had heard from the DM and he stated that he hadn't but he would call. After the call I find out that the DM had "forgotten" about the interview and would need to reschedule it for the next day. Fast forward to the interview. It was a pretty straight forward interview focusing on my past retail experience and skills. The interview had very little to do with actual product knowledge, which was not a surprise. The interview lasted approximately and hour and a half.

Interview Question – There really weren't any difficult questions other than the usual suspects. But importantly there was one question that must not be answered a certain way:
Why do you want to work for GameStop?
  View Answer

Jacksonville, FL (US)

Interviewed at GameStop

Interview Details Two interviews. One with another Store Manager, another with District Manager.

Negotiation Details – Salary is negotiable, but don't expect it to be much considering the hours that you will be working!!

Store Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at GameStop in September 2009.

Interview Details Got called for an interview within two weeks of applying. Spent two months interviewing with different managers as they kept saying they were interested but couldn't find a spot for me.

Interview Question – The questions were all routine.   Answer Question

Store Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at GameStop in December 2009.

Interview Details I was referred to the DM who interviewed me and hired me because of my previous management experience.

Interview Question – It is a standard interview process.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at GameStop.

Interview Details Informal if you are an internal hire.

Interview Question – Know the back of your name tag. The back of our name tag entailed our "Circle of Life" business model. Most questions they ask you can refer to the Buy Sell Trade   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Aggressively negotiate your salary because there is always some wiggle room.

Interviews for Top Jobs at GameStop

Worked for GameStop? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at GameStop Store Manager interview questions and advice. All 40 interview reviews posted anonymously by GameStop employees and interview candidates.