Gander Mountain

Getting the Interview

40 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Knoxville, TN (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in January 2013.

Interview Details The Interview Process was great. I spoke with someone on the phone and then had a personal interview with an employee that works there. The process was not bad as there were no questions that i had difficulty with.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you experienced a change in leadership and how did you respond to it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is not a whole lot of room for negotiation.

Archery Tech Interview

Paducah, KY (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in December 2012.

Interview Details I applied online. It took almost a month before I was called in. The interview was very straightforward. They didn't ask any technical questions at all and told me product and outdoors knowledge wasn't necessary. They offered me a job at the interview. I took a drug test and background check that took another two weeks to conclude. I've been working there since December 2012.

Interview Question – The only unexpected thing was not being asked about my outdoor expertise at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Customer Service Lead Interview

Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in May 2009.

Interview Details Gander Mountain's Career Website is pretty straight forward and easy to maneuver around. General phone screening at first, followed by an interview with the Soft Lines or Hard Lines Manager and the Zone Supervisor. In my case it was with the Soft Lines Manager and the OS. The final interview (which is the more laid back of the interviews) with the Store Manager where the decision is made

Interview Question – How do you deal with customer conflict?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't a negotiation phase when I was hired.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Gander Mountain in March 2013.

Interview Details Fairly straight forward, easy questions. Just why Gander Mountain, what kind of stuff you do other than work and school. Probably the shortest, least thorough interview I've ever had and the guy interviewing me was kind of a douche when I told him where I went to college and he couldn't even remember half the questions he was going to ask. Other than that it was a very easy interview.

Interview Question – None really, just surprised with the cockiness of the interviewer.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The place seemed very unorganized with poor management and employees that didn't seem like they enjoyed their jobs. Also got an offer for another company that paid better and being a college student with bills I couldn't turn that down.

Fishing Sales Interview

Greenwood, IN (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Gander Mountain in January 2013.

Interview Details Very infornal jokes and laughed with the strore manager. asked very easy questions, what do i do how much fishing expierence do i have what kind of fishing knowledge of product. What do i want from gander mountain? easy stuff

Interview Question – None all realy easy informal questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation really, he offered, i said i cant do that, toild him what i needed we both agreed.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Ocala, FL (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Gander Mountain in April 2011.

Interview Details Called to set up appointment after online process.

Interview Question – The questions where very basic and where from a sheet the guy had in front of him. looks like they ask everyone the same question. Tell me what you know about the store, tell me a time you worked in a team. blah blah blah   Answer Question

Lansing, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Gander Mountain in July 2012.

Interview Details Interview went quickly, there's a basic product knowledge test, and a sit down with the Compliance Officer, the Zone Supervisor, and the Store Manager.

Interview Question – None really. Fairly straight forward interview for a fairly straight forward job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation on salary or the like.

Blaine, MN (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Gander Mountain in August 2011.

Interview Details Good hiring process. Thorough interview process and corporate training. Promise of positional training, but never followed through. Corporate training details many benefits available to employees with emphasis on open and encouraging access to all employees; failed to deliver on most simple benefit agreement.

Interview Question – Situational/scenario questions concerning firearm sales, and ATF training.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not extensive. Offered a low, $8.25 hourly wage, and I requested higher amount. at $11.00/hour. Denied and told that all sales positions start at $8.00/hr. Needed a job so I took the offer.

Middletown, NY (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Gander Mountain in October 2008.

Interview Details They held a mirror under my nose to see if I was breathing. A few semi relevant questions were asked. I offered more info. and when I gave them some very relevant and useful credentials they totally ignored them and placed me in a totally different position. This is a company that doesn't pay attention to the skills and credentials that their employees might have. Instead, they just want brainless bodies they can plug in behind a counter or on the floor, the kind of place that makes Walmart look good.

Interview Question – No questions of any relevance.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very bogus. A take it or leave it and don't tell any other assoc. or else we'll fire you.

Zone Supervisor Interview

Zone Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in September 2011.

Interview Details Applied online by filling out basic application along with attaching resume. I made contact with the HR person at the store and was informed they were still looking and that my application had populated into the system. I had a 5 min phone interview to get basic information, Then came in for 1:1 interview with Zone Manager (Assistant Store Manager). Had final interview with Store Manager.

Interview Question – What kind of manager are you and how do you deal with stressful situations   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate start date to given two week notice at current job. Was able to talk about pay but wasn't very flexable.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Gander Mountain