Gander Mountain

47 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fishing Sales Associate Interview

Fishing Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Gander Mountain in October 2013.

Interview Details I filled out an on-line application, was called 3 days after for an interview. The interview was very casual, more of a conversation. It was a mass hiring event for a new store so I was offered a position on the spot, filled out some HR paperwork and received a schedule for training and an address to take a drug test.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions, basically just an evaluation to see if your interests and experience would benefit the company   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. Base pay plus commission.

Firearm Sales Interview

Firearm Sales
Flint, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in August 2013.

Interview Details Interview is pretty brief, you will be seated with a manager and they will ask you a few questions regarding your knowledge of customer service and what your past experiences in the field were and how you approach different situations, it's pretty basic and easy. I applied for a position in the hunting department and there was a written test involved which was also rather easy.

Interview Question – For firearm/hunting associates, there is a written test on your knowledge of the department. It's about 3-4 pages long and asks you basic questions about types of firearms, optics, and different calibers suitable for hunting certain animals.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain.

Interview Details I was called and given the date of my interview. I sat in front of a manager level employee and was asked 4-6 questions. All questions can be found by reading past interviews on this site. I was entirely prepared for the interview thanks to this website.

Interview Questions

• Tell us something you did outdoors and what equipment did you use?   View Answer
  • What's your most memorable outdoors experience?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was hired on the spot. They claimed there were a lot of people that applied and were denied but I doubt it. I did really well in my interview but I know of many employees who had mediocre interviews and still got hired on the spot.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Albany, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Gander Mountain in September 2013.

Interview Details There is a brand new store opening here Nov '13 and I applied online. It took 2 months to hear back, but UI got an interview. I was called and I set up an appointment. The interview lasted 10 minutes tops. It was a very relaxed environment. I felt overdressed in my dress shirt and tie. The interview lasted maybe 10-15 minutes tops. I was told I would hear back by the end of last week and heard nothing.

Interview Question – "How would you define customer service?"   View Answers (2)

BATF Associate Interview

BATF Associate
Woodbury, MN (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Gander Mountain in August 2013.

Interview Details I completed an online application and was contacted within a couple of days to schedule an in store interview. I arrived early for my appointment purposely so that I could familiarize myself with the store layout and the items they have on display. When I went to the office for my scheduled interview, I was told the guy was too busy to see me at that time and could I return in five hours to interview with the firearms lead person. I drove nearly one hour from my home to this store so I was a little miffed when told to come back but since I was really wanting the job, I smiled and graciously agreed to return at that time.
Arriving at the rescheduled time, I was told the interviewer had left early but the lead person would be there shortly and I should speak with him. When we finally met he seemed quite surprised that I was to told to speak with him about the BATF job because that position was not within his (firearms) department. This person was quite apologetic, he took my name and contact information and assured me that the individual who was in charge of the specified job would be contacting me on the following Monday, (this was on a Friday).
On Monday, I didn't get the call. Not on Tuesday either nor did I receive any calls from anyone at Gander Mountain since.

Interview Question – Could I return in five hours because the interviewer was too busy to see me. Then after arriving at my second scheduled interview, the person (interviewer) left early.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Saginaw, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in August 2012.

Interview Details I submitted an application online, particularly highlighting camping experience-- they liked that, and actually called me within a few weeks (maybe 2 months at most?). I arranged an interview, spoke with the store's HR head then the zone manager for the job briefly.

It began with a short test of outdoor knowledge, covering the different departments: Camping, Hunting/Firearms, Fishing, Footwear, and Apparel. I just had to ace the sections that pertained to me; my lack of fishing knowledge didn't seem to matter.

After that, I was asked (by the HR head) several behavior-based interview questions about past work/life experiences demonstrating leadership, teamwork, and problem solving abilities, as well as questions geared toward customer service. The man was very friendly and we had a few laughs-- definitely a relaxed environment, and I felt a bit overdressed in black dress pants, dress shoes, and a button-down, but overdressed in a good way. I would certainly not recommend under-dressing.

I then spoke to my new zone manager, who was in a rush but very friendly, and we discussed a few of the more technical aspects of the store. I asked a few specific operations questions and he seemed impressed by that.

Afterward I was told I would be contacted within the week for what looked to be a very certain job offer. I was called within the week and accepted.

Interview Question – Nothing in particular. Preparation for typical behavior-based interview questions, and review of outdoor gear (knowing types of clothing material and their properties, internal vs external frame backpacks, the anatomy of a kayak, shotgun gauges and chokes, etc.) will be essential to performing well in the interview, but that's about it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate. It was a first job and as so, I was there more for the experience than the hourly wage.

Manager Interview

Manager

Interviewed at Gander Mountain

Interview Details The interview process was brief. I had an interview scheduled and waited for over an hour to meet with a manager. Afterwords, I would be contacted by another manager to inform me that it would be a couple of weeks to for them to screen the other candidates. I was offered the job and I accepted.

Interview Question – How many Gander Mountain stores are there? An obvious question but a good one.   Answer Question

Firearms Sales Interview

Firearms Sales
Knoxville, TN (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in January 2013.

Interview Details The Interview Process was great. I spoke with someone on the phone and then had a personal interview with an employee that works there. The process was not bad as there were no questions that i had difficulty with.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time when you experienced a change in leadership and how did you respond to it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is not a whole lot of room for negotiation.

Archery Tech Interview

Archery Tech
Paducah, KY (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in December 2012.

Interview Details I applied online. It took almost a month before I was called in. The interview was very straightforward. They didn't ask any technical questions at all and told me product and outdoors knowledge wasn't necessary. They offered me a job at the interview. I took a drug test and background check that took another two weeks to conclude. I've been working there since December 2012.

Interview Question – The only unexpected thing was not being asked about my outdoor expertise at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Customer Service Lead Interview

Customer Service Lead
Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Gander Mountain in May 2009.

Interview Details Gander Mountain's Career Website is pretty straight forward and easy to maneuver around. General phone screening at first, followed by an interview with the Soft Lines or Hard Lines Manager and the Zone Supervisor. In my case it was with the Soft Lines Manager and the OS. The final interview (which is the more laid back of the interviews) with the Store Manager where the decision is made

Interview Question – How do you deal with customer conflict?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't a negotiation phase when I was hired.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Gander Mountain