Garmin

Updated 30 Nov 2014
Updated 30 Nov 2014

2.8

Software Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Garmin.

Two short interviews in person. One was a technical interview based mainly on resume projects and how you approached them, details on how you implemented something, what you would have done differently, etc. The second interview was with HR and was behavioral, with questions about what you enjoy doing, what kind of person you are, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to follow strict regulations and how you adapted your work style to meet these regulations.   Answer Question

I didn't like the location of the internship.

Software Engineer Interview

smooth process, the basic HR questions. ask some questions about your resume and almost questions you could find in the website. And there are many videos in the website about these kind of questions. you could find them in the youtube. The answers are already in the website

Software Engineer Interview

Very smooth process, good HR and kind, knowledgeable senior members that interview. Interview was fairly long but very enjoyable, talked with 2 different people about past experience + what to get out of garmin. A lot of conceptual coding questions, a bit of algorithmic coding questions. Overall very smooth, good experience, great company, great office, great work environment

Interview Questions
    • What are the premium differences between java and c and why might you use c over an object oriented language   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Garmin.

I gave them my resume at school career fair. They contacted me after a few weeks to fill out the online application and schedule for a phone interview. The interview took half an hour. They just basically went through my resume and asked some questions related to my school work.

Replenishment Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Garmin.

Let me first say that getting hired on at Garmin happens by complete luck. Their application/interview process is horrible, rude and unprofessional.

I originally applied for other positions within the company but was rejected in all cases. Eventually i applied as a replenishment associate because I had 10+ years experience in all fields they were interested in. The interview process consisted of a phone interview where behavioral questions are the norm. If you pass this screening you get an onsite interview that typically involves meeting with the HR recruiter. If the recruiter likes you then you'll meet with the hiring manager.

If you don't meet or exceed all of their expected AND desired qualifications don't even bother applying. You'll get an informal generic rejection letter via email a few days after applying. Even if they fly you out for an interview....if they go in a different direction you'll get the same bland generic auto generated rejection email from their HR department. No explanation, no nothing. In my opinion this is horribly unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Garmin is very take it or leave it. They don't negotiate.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Garmin.

Applied through a career fair. I was contacted by a recruiter and completed two initial interviews that were mostly behavioral. (Times you worked on a team? A situation where you didn't know how to solve a problem... how did you solve it? etc) Then I completed a technical interview. The technical interview involved them asking about my experiences, general questions about programming, then going to the board for a few problems.

Mechanical Engineer Entry Level Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Garmin.

application->phone Interview-> on-site interview+tour

Here are some questions asked during on-site interview

-Introduce yourself
    -Have you used any Garmin products
    -What do you like about Garmin
    -What motivates you at work
    -Strength and weakness
    -Teamwork experience

All three interviewers were taking notes either on papers or laptops.

Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

Previously had a recommendation from a former intern to check the company out at one of their on-campus events, and specifically who to talk to. At the event, I spoke with a rep and we talked about some past work specific to hardware design. The first technical interview was scheduled the next day. It involved some more in depth conversation about relevant work and working through some simple electronic circuits - op amp, MOSFETs, diodes, filters...wasn't 100% on everything but the idea was to demonstrate the problem solving process.

On site interview was 2 weeks later. After an HR interview, I spoke with some managers where we did a similar interview as before, including some more circuit worksheets. Afterwards, there was a campus tour.

Interview Questions
    • Technical interview was challenging but not unexpected.   Answer Question

Customer Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

Interview lasted about 45 minutes. Be careful how you answer your questions as the person who interviewed me took what I said out of context. When asked my favorite part of my last job I advised that since I worked from home I enjoyed that I was not micromanaged and that it allowed me to flourish creatively. At the end of the interview he summarized that I do not like to be managed and that I do not enjoy working as a team. I am not sure how he got that out of what I said so it is obviously a diluted interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what you would do if someone calls you with an error code.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Garmin in October 2014.

I applied online. I heard back within the week and scheduled a 45 minute phone interview. I did not realize how technical phone interview was, and was not prepared for the questions, so they did not continue the process. The interview began with very basic questions, but moved into more complex questions about object oriented programming and C++. If I were to do it over, I would have reviewed different terms related to C++.