Garmin Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2014
Updated Aug 18, 2014

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Garmin.

The phone interview was mostly technical. The questions that I was asked have already been posted. I will be interviewing in person. I will tell more when I'm completely done with the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I would say most of the questions have already been posted.   Answer Question

Product Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin in July 2014.

I didn't hear from Garmin about their interest in me until about a month and a half after I applied. After that I had a phone interview which was 30 min and very relaxed, the interviewer asked about my resume and a time I had to walk a customer through a trouble shooting experience. That was Thursday, I didn't get a call to set up an in person interview until the next Monday. The on-site interview hour and a half long with three different people, two managers and an HR rep, after that they had me tour the facilities and then sit in on a few calls with one of their employees.

Interview Questions
    • How are you technically minded?
      Where do see yourself in 5 years?
      Talk about an experience where you walked the customer through a technical experience.
      What do you do when the customer holds a very hostile attitude towards you?
        Answer Question

Content Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at Garmin in June 2014.

I was contacted by HR about three weeks after I applied for the job. We set up the HR interview for the following week. The time came and past. Three hours after it was supposed to happen, I emailed HR to ask if I misunderstood the time of the meeting. They told me the interview did not populate on their calendar and asked to set up another conversation. After, what I thought, a successful basic HR phone interview, I was told I would receive an email the following week informing me wether I made it to the next phase or not. It has been 6 weeks, three email followups and two voicemail inquiries--nothing.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was just a guided tour of what was on my resume. Nothing outrageous or alarming.   Answer Question

C++ Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cluj-Napoca (Romania)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Garmin in July 2013.

The interview process was not out of the usual, first I had a chat with the HR department and then I had a technical discussion with one of the lead developers on the project for which they were hiring.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't find anything difficult in what I was asked, it was a pretty straight forward discussion.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin.

Applied online had initial phone interview a few days later then never heard from them again. Emailed the recruiter and HR person just to see if position had been filled or if I was not being considered ...not even a courtesy response

Customer Care Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in June 2010.

Applied online and within a few days I heard back from the hiring manager. We setup an interview. I went to the North KC call center for the interview. It was held in a conference room. I was greeted by the HR recruiter as well as a technical support supervisor. The questions were pretty straight forward. Spoke about previous jobs and what I did there. They asked a few questions about times I have troubleshooted someone's problems. At the end of the interview I was not hired for the original position I was applying for but for a Customer Service position which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • N/A - the questions were pretty straight forward. They will ask about times you have troubleshooted, be very detailed. They will ask about your customer service experience as well as technical support experience.   Answer Question
    There wasn't one.

Internet Applications Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Garmin.

Interview through invitation. One HR round, One technical round. Both has easy standard questions based on what you have on resume. Technical questions on technologies listed. Some open ended discussion on design patterns and framework

Not much negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in January 2013.

Initial hiring process is started by filling an application through their online system. Even at job fairs at college and such, that's how it works. If your resume attracts attention, and they don't lose you in their paperwork (as happened to me the first time) then you get a phone interview. Having a friend on the inside to speak on your behalf can cut the change of being overlooked, since their HR hiring people are scatterbrained. If you pass the phone interview, then you are invited to Garmin for a tour, and a series of interviews with the departments looking for new hires. They ask you to bring code you have written for them to review, but only 2 out of the 10 or so people I interviewed with actually looked at it. If the general consensus among those you interview with is good, then you are offered a job. You get to choose preferences for department, and as far as I can tell, you get the most preferred department that also wanted you.

Interview Questions
    • The in-person interviews at Garmin that follow the phone interview are done by engineers, and the interviews are very technical. Keep in mind that most of Garmin deals mostly in C, and plan for a technical interview accordingly. The hardest questions was probably about the minimum number of bits required to encode information about a street in a GPS system (including speed limit as a multiple of 5, up to a certain limit, and several other bits of info they give you).   View Answer
    They did not seem open to negotiation, but mine was an interview for an entry-level position, so that may have affected it.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manhattan, KS (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhattan, KS (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in April 2014.

Originally applied through website for the intern position at their Manhattan Kansas office (Kansas State University has a program with Garmin working out of one of KSU's research facilities). I was contacted about a week and a half later requesting times I would be available to speak with a recruiter. The overhead recruiter and I scheduled a time for the following week to conduct a one hour phone interview with a university recruiting person. The recruiter called me about an hour before the interview asking to reschedule to a later date because her daughter got sick and in turn, got her sick too. It was no big deal for me, as I applied for the position almost 5 months before it would have started so there was definitely no rush.

We rescheduled the interview to be the following Friday (now four weeks since applying). The first interview was purely asking about items that were on my resume, basic questions regarding how much I knew about the structure and content of the Kansas State version of the Software Internship (it is a in-school position, part time, in parallel with schoolwork during the fall and spring). The first interview went very well and taught me a lot about the opportunities I would have as an in school intern. This was definitely a non technical, "tell me about yourself" interview. At the end of the discussion, my recruiter wanted to set me up right away to meet with the head of the Manhattan area coordinator and advisor to conduct a more technical interview. Due to the previous delays for sickness and the rush to get things done before the school year was over, she penciled me in for the following Monday.

The technical interview seemed almost as informal as the first one for the most part. In my first interview, I was instructed to bring examples of projects I had done myself, or things that had been developed in concordance with a team to highlight my abilities as a programmer and to demonstrate my aptitude for learning code. My technical interviewer seemed surprised that I had brought him projects to demonstrate (an iOS app I had built on my own and a rebuild of the 1980's Pac-Man). He seemed really interested in the projects I had shown, which definitely relaxed the environment of the generally more stressful technical interview.

Most of my experience in coding has been in high class languages (object oriented) like Java, C#, and Objective-C, so when I was handed code in regular C, I got really worried. Surprisingly, the coding questions he asked seemed almost like a joke. The first was a simple method that added numbers together in two different ways and I was asked to find why the code was outputting the wrong answer. The answers were fairly straight forward (a semicolon after a for loop statement but before the brackets enclosing the contents of the for loop). However, some questions were more difficult. Coming from higher languages to be run on computers, questions about memory conservation and processing speed were not my forte. My interviewer allowed me to ask questions about anything in the code to allow me to work through a solution based on how he was answering my questions. For instance, I wasn't totally familiar with pointers in C, so when it came time to debug code containing pointers, he answered my questions willingly so I could form a conclusion, which was a great way to keep my from getting discouraged for not recognizing an error right away, but also demonstrated my ability to problem solve. He seemed very impressed to see that I was still able to work through to correct answers without a detailed knowledge of the C language directly.

I received a call about 3 days later from the recruiter from the first interviewer describing my offer, and even offering me a position during the summer before the fall when I was supposed to start, if I was interested. It was a fun process and a little nerve racking at times while I waited for calls back, but the people were awesome and really got me excited about the environment I would be in and the opportunities I would have as a Garmin intern.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of questions on memory issues in C. Since Garmin works with a lot of small embedded systems, it would be a good idea to have a strong knowledge of lower level languages and tricks to coding in a low memory, low processing power environment.

For instance, examining a section of code and listing each step you could take to save memory.
        View Answer
    I had very limited experience in comparison to other applicants so I was initially going to request less than their offer, so there was not much need to negotiate. I would recommend understanding the average pay for the position you are applying to and evaluate your experience compared to who else may be applying. If you probably have way more experience, ask for the high end of the curve.

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin in July 2013.

Good hiring process, included peer interviews and hiring manager interviews

Interview Questions
    • Where do you think you'll be professionally in 5 years?   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate.

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!