Garmin Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated 18 Aug 2014

2.9

44 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Garmin.

The phone interview was mostly technical. The questions that I was asked have already been posted. I will be interviewing in person. I will tell more when I'm completely done with the interview process.

Interview Questions
  • I would say most of the questions have already been posted.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Garmin

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Garmin.

Applied online had initial phone interview a few days later then never heard from them again. Emailed the recruiter and HR person just to see if position had been filled or if I was not being considered ...not even a courtesy response

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chandler, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in April 2014.

Smooth process. I was contacted by HR and the hiring manager. HR call was non technical, and the Hiring manager called me in for a fact to face interview which was very technical

Interview Questions
    • Several questions were somewhat difficult, but not unusually so. The most difficult one involved developing an efficient sort algorithm for a specific data structure.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in March 2014.

They sent me an email asking for a transcript and a phone interview with an HR person. The interview was supposed to be between half an hour to an hour.

Interview Questions
    • There were no technical questions - just standard interview questions   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Garmin.

Applied online and was contacted for part time job.

Interview Questions
    • 50% was behavior and the other 50% was about the programming with C++ and data structures.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Olathe, KS (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Olathe, KS (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin in October 2013.

Talked to a recruiter at the University career fair. Then had a phone interview mainly focused on my resume and past projects. From there I was brought onsite for two technical interviews with their engineers.

Interview Questions
    • Calculate a moving average that considers the last N values. Then discuss handle incoming data. Consider time and memory complexity.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Initially contacted by recruiter, exchanged multiple emails, had 2 phone interviews that seemed to be checking to see if I was indeed a human. After that all contact was cut off and I could not get a hold of my HR contact.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was that difficult, standard "interview questions"   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Garmin.

Invited me to they're campus. Interviewed with two software engineers. Gave me a tour of the building after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Questions about c programming. Nothing too difficult, I was just in inexperienced at the time.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Diamond Bar, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Garmin.

Waited about 1 week to get contacted by HR after sending in the resume. The procedure then is pretty standard, started with HR phone screening, followed by technical phone interview, and finally in-person interview.
    The HR phone screening already asked some behavioral questions. The technical phone interview consists of OOP and C++ memory management questions. The on-site requires the applicant to solving a programming problem in OOP, then discussed some programming language keyword usage, and finally ended with a brain teasing question.
    In overall, the HR is very effective and responsive.

Interview Questions
    • The brain teasing question is totally not related to coding, but one might be easily get stuck in computer mindset after doing the coding problem in the front.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Diamond Bar, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Diamond Bar, CA (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Garmin.

The first phone interview was a simple screening and gave me a chance to establish some expectations regarding the job and compensation.
    The second phone interview was with the would-be manager. He is very knowledgeable and asked decent questions that allowed me to demonstrate my knowledge of software programming.
    The final interview was on-site with the manager and another developer. They showed me to a room, gave me a set of programming objectives, and sat me down in front of a laptop. This is probably the best and most effective way to demonstrate me knowledge of programming. I was comfortable the entire time and really enjoyed the task they gave me. Roughly after half an hour they came back in and put my code up on a projector where we then proceeded to discuss what i had concocted. We discussed my design pattern and the finer details like initialization list, constants, threads and memory management.

Overall it was a very positive process and the team there must be a talented bunch. The technical recruiter is also very responsive and made the whole thing run smoothly.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between Windows CE/Embedded and a regular Windows OS?
      What is the difference between a mutex and a semaphore?
      How would you use the keyword mutable (C++)?
        Answer Question

Accepted a competing offer. Pay was slightly below market.

Worked for Garmin? Contribute to the Community!