Gatwick Airport

Relevance Date Difficulty

IT Project Manager Interview

IT Project Manager
Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Gatwick Airport in May 2013.

Interview Details Telephone interview followed by a face to face with Programme manager and Business Systems Manager.

Telephone interview - asked if I could work under pressure in a 24/7 environment. When I have done these . How I have managed to work on projects like this and how I have managed a busy project.

Face to face involved a presentation - "how would you deliver an MI project". recommend you take a USB and paper for this. They weren´t overly concerned about teh information in the presentation but how you presented it. Questions around budget expereince and ratios and KPIs you would use. Again not that concerned if you have limited budgeting experience. How you keep abreast of your field. How long the runway is! How you have managed a project. How you deal with diffificult stakeholders.

Interview Question – Cost analysis for construction type ratios   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Still on going - be aware there are no landline telepnones on your desk, as a contractor GAL expect you to bring your own mobile to work and pay teh bill yourself. GAL believe the cost is covered by your daily rate, the agency do not tell you this and they refuse to cover the costs. So negioate this into your rate!

Very Difficult Interview

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Gatwick, England

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Gatwick Airport.

Interview Details Gatwick is constantly on the lookout for good project managers, engineers, QSs, field engineers etc. Don't wait to see an advert, just send your CV in on spec. Initial response after a CV is sent in can be slow, it is best to follow this up with a nudge from someone you know who works there, if they could slip a paper copy of your CV to a relevant person then you will get ahead of the game. If not then send it directly to a target manager. Their names frequently appear in trade press on project management or airports etc, do your research. Phone up the airport and ask who is Head of Projects.

Interview normally follows a 2 stage process, initial competence based interview with a senior manager followed by a less formal wone with HR and a Director. For more junior jobs it many be a technical person followed by HR and a department head. Generally there are fewer than 10 candidates per job, so your chances are good. Research lots about the airport and the projects because you will get ahead of the others, few candidates are well prepared!

Interviews will normally only have about 7 questions selected from:
1. Give an example to illustrate how you have been flexible in adjusting your management style t meet the needs of an individual team member
2. Give me an example of how you seek to keep the spirits of your team up during difficult times a work?
3.Tell me about a time when you have challenged an existing practice or business process, and have been able to bring about a change or improvement?
4. Tell me about a time when you received feedback indicating that you could have performed better in a particular situation or task?
5. Describe a situation in which you have adopted a creative approach to solving a difficult problem?
6. Describe a situation in which you were successful in meeting a very challenging deadline on an important project or piece of work.
7. If I asked your direct reports, line manager and peer group what do you think they would say are your strengths?
8. Tell me about a time when you have persevered to reach a goal or accomplish a task that had proved very difficult to tackle?
9. How do you ensure that your team members are clear about their accountabilities and the boundaries of their roles?
10. Describe how in your current or previous role you have turned strategic objectives into deliverable goals for your work area?
11.Give us an example of when you have had to prioritise a team’s activity when there have been several competing demands on resources?
12. What would you see as the challenges for both yourself and this role in the early months?
13. Describe the ‘culture’ in your current company? How does this fit with you as an individual?

Clearly these questions may change. You are also likely to be asked to present something, probably a monthly performance presentation to senior management. The trick here is generally to present something you know really well, if it appears in your presentation then be prepared to talk about it, this means every number and acronym.

Interview Question – By what criteria do you judge your own performance?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is a fairly rigid salary scale but the benefits are good. Don't expect max bonus, you have to be relly liked to get it, most get half bonus. Push the offer by £3k, but no more.

Worked for Gatwick Airport? Contribute to the Community!