Genentech

Updated 25 Feb 2015
Updated 25 Feb 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

Submitted resume online through university, had an on-campus interview (about 12 candidates total) with 2 interviewers (one was someone I would be working under, the other was supervisor). A week later, got an email for an interview at the site (4 candidates left). Interview was about 2 hours long, with 2 interviews with 2 interviewers each, and a lab tour. Got a phone call couple days later saying I got the offer! All interviews were behavior-based, no technical questions.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you demonstrated leadership, etc.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Biotechnologist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech.

There were 3 rounds of interview. Resume was screened and an email was sent for notification for the upcoming phone interview. Got a phone interview with technical questions being asked. Last round was a webcam interview with the hiring manager. A total of 3 rounds.

Interview Questions
    No room for negotiation of base salary

Senior Research Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Genentech.

First, phone interview with hiring manager then was chosen to on-site interview. Onsite interview took a whole day (9am to 5pm). 1-hour presentation/Q&A, 30-min interviews with various scientists, directors, and a HR, as well as your hiring manager, and 1-hour lunch break with SRA or post-doc.
    Intense process

Interview Questions
    • Too many questions...but they did pay more attention on your scientific research and skill sets   Answer Question

Associate Director Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

The phone screen was within 2 weeks of application. First round of in-person interviews with 5 people was around 2 weeks from the phone screen. 2nd round of in-person interviews with 5 more people were 3 months later, which was scheduled after I reached out to ask about status. Then, I was called with feedback on why I didn't get the role, which was before they had finished that round with other candidates. Even factoring in the size of the company, there are many people to do work that is done by fewer people in other companies, so the specifics of the job requirement are quite detailed. Being a highly desirable company and well-resourced, they can afford to find someone very specific and take their time.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly questions related to the requirements of the job and my relevant experience. I was given a internal document and 30 minutes to review and then provide any insights and comments about it during one of the interviews. There were some behavioral questions, like "how do you deal with a difficult stakeholder?" and "how do you influence them to adopt change?"   Answer Question

Summer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Genentech.

Submitted application through university and got a call back for an interview a few weeks later. Had the initial interview on campus with a hiring manager. Interview was very casual and relaxed; I was asked various behavioral questions. Got a call back a week later for an interview at the facilities at Vacaville. Interviewed with 4 hiring managers/scientists, as well as two student interns on campus.

PDRP Interview

Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Genentech.

After being contacted I had a phone interview with one of the members of the hiring committee. The next interview was onsite and it was a full day. There were 6 individual interviews throughout the day and a lunch with people that were already in the program.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard interview questions. Some of the interviewers were more interested in experience rather then skills.   Answer Question

Marketing Science Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Genentech.

Campus recruiting. Was interviewed by three marketing science managers in a row for one and a half hours. I was asked about a case analysis and previous experience. Nothing too technical.

Interview Questions
    • Normal questions like "Where do you see yourself in five years" along with a case study.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Genentech.

Quick 25-30 minute phone chat. Talked about previous research experiences. What did you do? What did you find? What does it mean? Talked about the research that is going on at Genentech. Asked why I wanted to work there.

Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Genentech.

Each individual interview was 30 minutes with each member of the department - 9 people including director. This was a two day process. Each person was able to have a copy of my resume available and ask about my current position and why I wanted to work at Genentech. They also wanted to make sure I would fit with the team as it was a "tight nit-quirky group".

Interview Questions
    • Portfolio questions are asked as well as culture questions.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate a higher salary.

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Genentech.

Thorough, intense, professional, friendly, with very high standards. They really try to understand who you are, what your motivation to work at Genentech is, if you have a balanced life, if you are willing to work hard, if you are skillful and knowledgable about your area of expertise, and what your charecter is like. I met with most Senior Scientists, and some SRAs. Arrived at 9 and left at 5pm.