General Motors Engineering Interview Questions

Updated 7 Apr 2015

Engineer Interview

Interview

two onsite interviews, each one is an hour.You interview with two different managers, STAR is being used to answer these questions. Must be prepared and nothing will be very hard.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Applied online. Waited for about two to three months, then received a request for phone interviewing. After sucessful, was sent a request to interview online with four managers via video call. Heard back about three weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Give us a time in which an already established decision was modified. How did you respond?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Detroit, MI (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Behavioral interview. One on one or two on one. Check other questions on glassdoor as well as the ones I have listed (were not on glassdoor). Friendly interviewers in my experience. Most interviews accompanied by a tour. It has been a couple of days and I have not heard back from them either way; will update when I get notice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to make a decision based on incomplete data.(Dealing with ambiguity)
      Tell me about a time when you had to motivate someone from a different culture than you.

Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

On Campus (University) interview process. Very straightforward process with many behavioral questions. Asked about previous projects, interests in GM, why GM etc. Asked to describe projects and how they relate to work at GM. Interviews all done using the STAR method. Initial stage was something of a screening step, then asked to interview with managers. Managers conduct the interview and describe the STAR method. They even provide a rubric. The managers are quite nice, very straight forward and helpful throughout the process.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

I interviewed on campus after applying on my school's online application program. Interview was structured around STAR process. Professional interviewer who was very passionate about GM. GM also held a study break on campus that was very well done.

Engineer Interview

Interview

On Campus Interview. This was an initial behavioral interview with two company representatives. Questions were typical STAR format and were clearly standardized. Interviewers took notes on responses. This interview led to an additional interview with hiring managers.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all typical "Tell me about a time when..."   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Interview

A 1-to-1 behavior interview over the phone. It's following the STAR approach typically used in behavior interviews. You need to give examples for each questions they asked. The interview lasted about an hour long.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Interview

I got a callback from a recruiter seem to pretty impressed with me. It wasn't for a few weeks that I found out they were canceling the job. The interview probably took about fifteen minutes. He said he would give my interview to hiring manager but nothing came of it.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Interview

Big emphasis on behavioral / Lominger in addition to technical questions based on specific work experiences
    - 1st round, with recruiter (on phone)
    - 2nd round, panel with management, details on the position (video interview but surprisingly comfortable)
    - 3rd round, in person visit, 1:1 with manager and future colleagues, tour around campus

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They did not entertain and try to make you feel bad for asking. Found it quite rude actually.

Engineer Interview

Interview

I applied online under the section for new grads. I was first contacted by the university rep to set up the first phone interview. The phone interview was pretty straight forward about what you have done. I was then invited to the proving grounds for an onsite interview. The interview was structured so that you would explain each situation, what you did and your result. I was phoned only two days later with a notice that they were going to extend an offer

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you experienced failure and how you handles it.   Answer Question