General Motors

Getting the Interview

18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fort Wayne, IN (US)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in February 2013.

Interview Details two interviews, nice lady, followed the Star method of interviewing.

Interview Question – Tell me About yourself   Answer Question

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details I applied online under the section for new grads. I was first contacted by the university rep to set up the first phone interview. The phone interview was pretty straight forward about what you have done. I was then invited to the proving grounds for an onsite interview. The interview was structured so that you would explain each situation, what you did and your result. I was phoned only two days later with a notice that they were going to extend an offer

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you experienced failure and how you handles it.   Answer Question

Pontiac, MI (US)

I applied online - interviewed at General Motors in July 2013.

Interview Details Recieved a call from HR within a couple weeks of submitting resume. Recieved a call to come in for an interview shortly after that. The interview consisted of a half hour informational presentation and two one on one interviews conducted back to back. I really enjoyed the interview process. Be prepared to negotiate if they come back with an offer.

Interview Question – Situational questions. Very straight forward, nothing technical. Interviewers were very friendly. Entire interview process (including facility tour and lunch) was about 5 hours.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Recieved a better offer elsewhere and felt that GM was trying to see how cheap I would work

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details Behavior questions and people skills are emphasized.

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details - I was contacted by phone asking why I am leaving my current job.
- 2 weeks later I was contacted to schedule an in person interview.
- I was interviewed by 2 managers, they did not ask anything about my work experience. All their questions were STAR questions. The interview took about 2 hours (1 hour for each manager)

Interview Question – Describe a time you had a conflict with a co-worker, how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Bangalore (India)

The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in January 2008.

Interview Details it was a tuff grilling by eminent panel of interviewers,

Interview Question – would you be willing to relocate   View Answer

Negotiation Details – average

Engineer

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in August 2010.

Interview Details Structured interview process

Interview Question – Questions about diversity   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in January 2011.

Interview Details Position was for development of new materials for fuel cell membranes. Gave a presentation on Ph.D. work on proton exchange membranes which was well received. During the interviews, only "target" interview questions were asked, such as, "Tell me about a time you had to make a difficult decision." "What was the biggest mistake you've ever made?" Memorize answers to questions like those and you will be FINE.

Interview Question – When was the last time you had to take a risk? What happened? What did you do? What was the result? What did you learn?   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Defiance, OH (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at General Motors in December 2011.

Interview Details Interview consisted of dinner and presentation the night before the interview, then a facility tour, benefits overview and 2:1 interview on the 2nd day.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were persuaded to take action but chose not to.   View Answer

Engineer

The process took a day - interviewed at General Motors in February 2011.

Interview Details two one hour interviews with orientation. S.T.A.R style interview

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you had conflict with a team member, and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Motors

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors Engineering interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by General Motors employees and interview candidates.