General Motors

Updated 3 Mar 2015
Updated 3 Mar 2015

2.8

IT Operations Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

I met with GM during the career fair at my college. At that time I was told I had an interview the following week on campus. I was interviewed by one woman who began by telling me about the changes in the company. She then asked me questions of the star format.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you were under prepared...   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time things worked out better than you expected...   Answer Question
    • Tell me about an obstacle and how you overcame it...   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors in March 2015.

2 interviews. One at ASU where I found the job. and the second in Chandler. Lots of HR questions. If you were put in this situation what would you do? Very nice office great benefits. 3000$ car credit. 3 weeks vacation time. good 401k plan tuition reimbursement after 3 years.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of HR questions. If you were put in this situation what would you do?   Answer Question

Vehicle Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in March 2015.

My profile was on gm site for a job in the Arizona area. A recruiter called me about a position in Detroit. Got to the airport, and they booked me on a later flight. Had to wait at airport for 6 hours. Interview was a all day event. Started at 8 am. As soon as I got there, I was drilled with questions until I left. Spent time interviewing with probably 10 people. The people in Detroit seemed grumpy and unpleasant, not friendly like in Denver. Worst experience ever.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

Mine was a strictly behavioral interview on campus. I met with two software engineers or developers and went through a range of questions which I did not find difficult. You simply give examples of how you handle various situations. It is important to explain the process that you used in going about handling various situations. All in all, it was not too hard, and if you get to know the people sitting across from you, it all goes smoothly.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to solve a problem twice because you were wrong at first.   Answer Question

Senior ETL Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

The process was a joke and I don't know how this company finds good talent.

I applied online. A few days later a member of the Talent Acquisition team contacted me for a phone interview. I replied with my availability and didn't hear back for over a week. I followed up with them and heard back the next day to setup the phone interview. They also had me answer 5 questions via email and send back to them before the interview.

The day of the phone interview the recruiter sent me a Google invite 7 minutes before the interview. I accepted and the time for the interview came and went. GM was over 10 minutes late in calling me. The recruiter didn't apologize or even recognize they called late. They asked me two questions, "Describe Yourself" and "Why do you want to work for GM?". I talked for about 10 minutes and then the recruiter said that was it. What? There was no follow up from them at all. No feedback. I tried to ask questions about the position and they said they can't answer those and I would have to ask the hiring manager.

The next day I received an automated email that said GM does not have a specific opportunity for me at this time.

My resume was a great fit for this position. I didn't even have a chance to speak with someone with technical expertise who could accurately evaluate my skills.

Powertrain Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

Received interview after speaking to recruiters at Career Fair. Fairly straightforward as they are recruiting heavily from my college. Met at the faculty club where all rooms were being used by GM for interviews. I was told that they were impressed with the communication and technical skills but because they were primarily looking for Juniors, I stood a slim chance.

Interview Questions
    • Primarily Behavioral interview Following SOARA format:
      1. What was a time when you went about something incorectly, or analyzed the data incorrectly?
      2.A time when you surprised yourself with a result
      3.How do you manage your time?
      4.A time that you failed and what you learned
      5.A time that you mediated conflict in a group

Answer Question

Software Development Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

I was offered an On Campus interview which was mostly behavioral. The questions mostly tailored to different situations I had been in whether in school or the work place and how I handled the situations. The recruiter got in touch with me soon after my interview with more information about the process going forward. Overall, I had a very positive experience interviewing and working with them.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a peer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors in February 2015.

Company visited university and found my resume. Emailed me the night before for a morning interview. Then had another interview the next day. Total of two interviews, and both were done on campus. Predominantly behavioral. Don't know yet if I received the job, so tentatively saying no. Will update once they get back to me.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a project you worked on.
      When did you have to compromise when making a decision.
      What went wrong during the the project?
      How did you handle it?
      What lessons did you learn?

View Answer

Design Engineer Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at General Motors.

There were 3 rounds of interview. First round with the Lead , it was all about GD nT and my previous experience. 2nd round was with Manager , it was about engines . 3 red round was with HR , it was all about strength weeknesses and salary negotiation an.

Interview Questions
    • Which is the most difficult design , aerospace engine or automotive engine. Considering the fact that in an automotive engine combustion chamber volume changes and in aerospace engine it remains constant.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at General Motors.

You will get a call from someone in the Talent Acquisition department first. Some basic questions regarding your experience and eligibility will be asked. If they determine you're a good candidate, they will arrange an actual onsite interview. The interview questions are standard questions from a GM interview book. Not technically oriented. They do look into your experience and skills/knowledge but don't make you write code on white board or things like that.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing really too difficult or unexpected. For example, they would ask "give me an example in your job when you felt you're in very difficult situation and why".   Answer Question