General Motors

272 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Production Engineer Interview

Dearborn, MI (US)

I interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Interview Details It was only a phone interview and they wanted me to relocate I decided not to persue but the interview went well and was professional

Interview Question – What is your favorite vehicle.   View Answer

Co-Op Student Interview

Lansing, MI (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at General Motors in March 2013.

Interview Details I went to a co-op employment fair at my college and was interviewed by General Motors. Soon after, I began receiving emails with instructions on how to officially apply for the job online, because that needed to be done in order for GM to put me on file, or something of that nature. While doing this, however, I ran into a few problems. If I remember correctly, the automated system that I was using to apply for the job was not giving me the option to apply for the position that I was being instructed to apply for. Instead of giving up, I continued to contact the HR representative and share what troubles I was having. Eventually they just had me apply for a different position so that they could receive import credentials. I have a feeling that this was done on purpose. My thought is that the issues that I was having with applying were set up as an test of persistence, to weed out all of the people who gave up as soon as they started to have trouble. I could be completely wrong about that, but my advice is this: be persistent. Show your employer that you truly WANT the job. That advice is good for all potential employers, not just General Motors.

Interview Question – "Describe a situation where the result of your actions turned out better than what you expected."   View Answer

Senior Performance Engineer Interview

Roswell, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied twice online 100 days prior to my face-to-face interview. I received a call from a recruiter who set up a phone interview that lasted 1 hour. Then, I was called to the Roswell, GA "Innovation Center" for a video presentation, then back-to-back interviews.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult situation where you had to react, and make amends. What did you learn from the situation.   View Answer

Digital Marketing Interview

Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details Was called in for an interview after applying for a job 2 months ago. Was told ahead of time about the format which was going to be incredibly formal with a series of pre-approved questions from HR for the first round. After this initial in person interview, it took another month before I received a phone call from someone in HR at a US based office. They informed me I was a finalist and verified some of my information. Yet another month later, was informed they were not pursuing my candidacy after all. Overall, the process was very confusing and time consuming - seems like there is a big disconnect between hiring departments.

Interview Question – All the questions were scenario based so be prepared with examples - however, the one that got me in particular was about a task that had failed or gone wrong and how it was dealt with. I gave an scenario that was team based and they specifically needed a personal failure. Not to toot my own horn but I struggled to give an example where I alone failed in a situation.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Austin, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details Mostly reviewing your resume and some STAR behavioral questions. Know your experiences and have some good stories to talk about and be detailed. The interviewers were all friendly and easy to talk to. Aside for the normal nervousness, it was very comfortable. To help me with the phone interviews, I had a sticky note of all of my past experiences that I might want to touch on. It helped

Interview Question – Nothing was very difficult, just some unexpected behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating is only based on prior experience. They have a flat offer, and then bump for any professional experience you've had. Make sure you make all of your experience clear!

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

The process took 3 days - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details 2 interviews using STAR format.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult employee and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating required.

Very Easy Interview

Java/.NET Software Developer Interview

Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details Started with 1 phone interview with a developer. The phone interview had a few Java basics questions, and the rest were behavioral questions. They contacted me the next day to set up an in-person interview.

The in-person interview was 2 hours long. The first interviewer was a (different) developer, and the second was the hiring manager. This interview was strictly behavioral. The questions in both interviews were almost identical.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you did something you regretted?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary they offered was much lower than industry standards. They would not negotiate.

Production Supervisor Interview

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details Started by applying, and in couple weeks got phone call for first interview, Had another phone interview, they flew me in to interview and gave me rooms. Went in for 2 hours for interview. They used the starl format.

Interview Question – I don't remember any difficult questions   Answer Question

Research and Development Researcher Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

Interview Details Had a prescreening at a University career fair. That was followed up by a one-hour phone-interview from Michigan. Was contacted about 3 weeks later via email from HR.

Interview Question – Questions were very behavioral based. Examples: (1a)Tell me about a time when you had to learn something new. (1b) What did you learn from this experience. (2a) What did you do in your field to stay up to date. (2b) (2b) What did you learn from this experience. (3a) Tell me about a time when you had to meet an unexpected deadline. (3b) What did you do, how did you react, and what did you learn from this experience. They also asked me about my interests and the type of groups that I would like to work with at GM.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Java Software Developer Interview

Austin, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details First they emailed me stating that they want to talk to me, I gave them time. When they called me, all of sudden it was phone technical interview.They asked very very simple technical questions on phone interview. I was surprised as it was unexpected. I gave them phone interview anyway, and it was lasted 45 minutes. After 2 hours, they really liked in phone interview and they want to proceed with face to face. They scheduled day and time with me. During face to face interview, they asked 99% behavioral questions. I was surprised.

Interview Question – All Behaviour question and none technical questions even though this position is Programmer position   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at General Motors

Worked for General Motors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at General Motors interview questions and advice. All 272 interview reviews are posted anonymously by General Motors employees and interview candidates.