General Motors Interview Questions

Updated 17 Oct 2014
Updated 17 Oct 2014

2.8

Senior Java Developer Interview

Applied online and it hardly took couple of business days to get a call from HR, I was asked the routine questions like if I was willing to relocate, why was I looking for a change, what I was earning at my current job e.t.c and finally what I was expecting...and they said what I requested was in the pa range and they arranged me with an telephonic interview.

I get this call and before the interviewer gets technical he explains as to what he is looking for in the potential hire.

In the technical round I was asked all sorts of questions starting from basic to all the way to the architect level..was not very sure as to why I was asked architect/Lead level questions for a "Senior Developer" position? I thought may be he was just trying to know me or something but it turned out the HR had submitted me to Lead position without even my knowledge.

It would have been better on the HR part to submit for the position that I applied and this seems to me more intentional than accidental for reasons that I can suspect.

Interview Questions
    • Questions that I was not expecting for the position that I have applied   Answer Question

Quality Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

Was given a screening call and was called for a followup interview. The screening was a technical interview (about an hour) with the followup interview being all situations that one encounters.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about time when you had to promote a unpopular decision or idea.   View Answer

Digital Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oshawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors.

Was called in for an interview after applying for a job 2 months ago. Was told ahead of time about the format which was going to be incredibly formal with a series of pre-approved questions from HR for the first round. After this initial in person interview, it took another month before I received a phone call from someone in HR at a US based office. They informed me I was a finalist and verified some of my information. Yet another month later, was informed they were not pursuing my candidacy after all. Overall, the process was very confusing and time consuming - seems like there is a big disconnect between hiring departments.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were scenario based so be prepared with examples - however, the one that got me in particular was about a task that had failed or gone wrong and how it was dealt with. I gave an scenario that was team based and they specifically needed a personal failure. Not to toot my own horn but I struggled to give an example where I alone failed in a situation.   Answer Question

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at General Motors.

2 interviews using STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult employee and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    No negotiating required.

Production Supervisor Interview

Started by applying, and in couple weeks got phone call for first interview, Had another phone interview, they flew me in to interview and gave me rooms. Went in for 2 hours for interview. They used the starl format.

Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn, MI (US)

interviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

It was only a phone interview and they wanted me to relocate I decided not to persue but the interview went well and was professional

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Had an initial interview on campus and then i was told to apply online. Three months later after the on campus interview and applying online, I got contacted for a second online interview. The questions they asked during both interviews were purely behavioral questions while I was expecting technical questions. .

Interview Questions
    • Name one thing you did that was against the general consensus.   Answer Question
    After I accepted the interview, an email was sent with offer/salary details. There wasn't much about negotiating but rather accept the award or you don't.

Several Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lansing, MI (US)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors in April 2014.

Pleasant interviewers (4 in two sessions) but they read questions prepared by a consulting/testing company that usually causes qualified candidates to be rejected. Same stubborn, muleheaded company that went bankrupt before.

Interview Questions
    • If you told a lie and were called on it, how would you react?   View Answer

Senior Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

The interview is a very elaborate process including presentations and technical rounds. The evaluation is fair and tough at the same time, The interviewers questions gives a good impression of the peers one would work with. It is a day long affair and if cleared is an enriching experience. It helps the interviewee also to understand if the fit is right.

Process Engineer Interview

phone interview, 2 face to face interviews with 2 individuals both times.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you had to question someone of higher authority.   Answer Question