General Motors

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Austin, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details Mostly reviewing your resume and some STAR behavioral questions. Know your experiences and have some good stories to talk about and be detailed. The interviewers were all friendly and easy to talk to. Aside for the normal nervousness, it was very comfortable. To help me with the phone interviews, I had a sticky note of all of my past experiences that I might want to touch on. It helped

Interview Question – Nothing was very difficult, just some unexpected behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating is only based on prior experience. They have a flat offer, and then bump for any professional experience you've had. Make sure you make all of your experience clear!

Senior Performance Engineer Interview

Senior Performance Engineer
Roswell, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied twice online 100 days prior to my face-to-face interview. I received a call from a recruiter who set up a phone interview that lasted 1 hour. Then, I was called to the Roswell, GA "Innovation Center" for a video presentation, then back-to-back interviews.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult situation where you had to react, and make amends. What did you learn from the situation.   View Answer

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Maintenance Supervisor

The process took 3 days - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details 2 interviews using STAR format.

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult employee and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating required.

Very Easy Interview

Java/.NET Software Developer Interview

Java/.NET Software Developer
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details Started with 1 phone interview with a developer. The phone interview had a few Java basics questions, and the rest were behavioral questions. They contacted me the next day to set up an in-person interview.

The in-person interview was 2 hours long. The first interviewer was a (different) developer, and the second was the hiring manager. This interview was strictly behavioral. The questions in both interviews were almost identical.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you did something you regretted?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary they offered was much lower than industry standards. They would not negotiate.

Production Supervisor Interview

Production Supervisor

Interviewed at General Motors

Interview Details Started by applying, and in couple weeks got phone call for first interview, Had another phone interview, they flew me in to interview and gave me rooms. Went in for 2 hours for interview. They used the starl format.

Interview Question – I don't remember any difficult questions   Answer Question

Research and Development Researcher Interview

Research and Development Researcher

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at General Motors in February 2014.

Interview Details Had a prescreening at a University career fair. That was followed up by a one-hour phone-interview from Michigan. Was contacted about 3 weeks later via email from HR.

Interview Question – Questions were very behavioral based. Examples: (1a)Tell me about a time when you had to learn something new. (1b) What did you learn from this experience. (2a) What did you do in your field to stay up to date. (2b) (2b) What did you learn from this experience. (3a) Tell me about a time when you had to meet an unexpected deadline. (3b) What did you do, how did you react, and what did you learn from this experience. They also asked me about my interests and the type of groups that I would like to work with at GM.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Java Software Developer Interview

Senior Java Software Developer
Austin, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in March 2014.

Interview Details First they emailed me stating that they want to talk to me, I gave them time. When they called me, all of sudden it was phone technical interview.They asked very very simple technical questions on phone interview. I was surprised as it was unexpected. I gave them phone interview anyway, and it was lasted 45 minutes. After 2 hours, they really liked in phone interview and they want to proceed with face to face. They scheduled day and time with me. During face to face interview, they asked 99% behavioral questions. I was surprised.

Interview Question – All Behaviour question and none technical questions even though this position is Programmer position   Answer Question

Senior Researcher Interview

Senior Researcher
Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors.

Interview Details The interview is a very elaborate process including presentations and technical rounds. The evaluation is fair and tough at the same time, The interviewers questions gives a good impression of the peers one would work with. It is a day long affair and if cleared is an enriching experience. It helps the interviewee also to understand if the fit is right.

Interview Question – The difficult question was on partial least squares.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Agile Process Coach Interview

Agile Process Coach
Warren, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at General Motors in January 2011.

Interview Details The interview process is easy because it is done at a department level. You'll get a response from HR and be interviewed by someone desperate to fill a job. Personality match the untrained interviewer and you are in.

Interview Question – None. Interviewer asked nothing relevant.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – GM does not negotiate. Offers are take it or leave it.

Connected Customer Specialist Interview

Connected Customer Specialist
Saginaw, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at General Motors in January 2014.

Interview Details Process was fair and moved very quickly

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you dealt with a difficult coworker and how did you handle it.   Answer Question