General Motors

Updated 11 Nov 2014
Updated 11 Nov 2014

2.8

Engineer Interview

A 1-to-1 behavior interview over the phone. It's following the STAR approach typically used in behavior interviews. You need to give examples for each questions they asked. The interview lasted about an hour long.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warren, MI (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in July 2014.

Called by a recruiter to set up interview. Then onsite interview with senior and manager. They asked behavioral questions as well as a couple technical questions regarding the position. They will not send a regret candidate email. If you don't hear from them within a month then move on.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had difficulty working with someone   Answer Question

Packaging Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Uses a talent acquisition to speak with possible candidate. Interview was done via web conference which made it convenient. Asked situation questions, i.e. a time when...
    Interviewed with multiple people at once. The whole process from talent acquisition to offer was about 3 weeks. After interview with the group, it only took a week for an offer to come across.

Interview Questions
    • All pretty good but not easy. Using pass experience helped a lot.   Answer Question
    Accepted and did not negotiate anything higher than offer. Extremely competitive offer based on experience.

PMO Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Worked with recruiter and with the manager of the team I was interviewing for. I have a very niche skills set, so it was fairly easy to get the job. First manager was really bad, got moved within the organization to a better leader.

Had to really work hard to get the salary I wanted. Went back and forth about 5 times.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Hiring Process Took around 3 weeks.
    I was 1st contacted by a GM recruiter where he did a screening to see if I was qualified outside of my resume. Afterwards in 5 days I interviewed with the hiring manager in Detroit via the phone. Questions were very direct and the manager knew who/what he was looking for in a candidate. I think had a face to face via Virtual Webcam with Hiring Manager and supervisor. Both sessions were 1 hour long. Finally Hiring manager advised me a decision would be made in about 3 business days. I then got a call back in about 1 hour offering me the job. Seamless process with a great company that knew who and what they were looking for.

Interview Questions
    • None. All standard questions for the business analyst profession.   Answer Question
    Didn't have to negotiate. Offer was well above my asking so I was very satisfied.

Senior Software Developer – Data Integration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Phone interview that was technical...lasted an hour. In person interview followed a couple of weeks later. Company overview with an HR person followed by two interviews with managers...about an hour each. As others have mentioned this was more about how you handle different situations...no real technical questions. Nice office space, nice people, but everyone is fairly new. It's hard to tell what the things will be like over the next couple of years.

Interview Questions
    • What would I do differently in a difficult situation that I had just described where I was unhappy with the outcome?   View Answer

Code Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

The entire interview is a behavior based interview format (Lominger). No code writing is asked, and the interview is a breeze if you have good experiences and aren't abnormal. Be prepared to have a long list of things you've worked on in your head, especially where you have failed or had issues with people and how you overcame them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you failed at something at a company. (there are then 5 follow up questions such as how you overcame it, what was the end result, were you ever able to apply what you learned at a later time?)   Answer Question
    No negotiation at all for me, but other had better luck.

MArketing CoOp Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

The interview is on campus and it last for about 40 minutes. The two managers are very kind and we had a great talk. It is really a talk I think. No behavior questions or academic questions. Just talk what you want to talk.

Cyber Security Incident Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

I applied online and received a call from the recruiter about 4 days later. Haven't heard anything yet, but keeping my fingers crossed. My recruiter is not representing GM very well makes you think if this is the culture of the company.

Interview Questions
    • There was no difficult question, I was my own worst enemy due to my interview anxiety   View Answer

Assembler/Worker SPO Plant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brandon, MS (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brandon, MS (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in June 2014.

Put in application in August 2013. Never heard anything until June 2014. Just got a call from them unexpectedly. Had a job already but went ahead and told them I was still interested. They set up appointment for test & phone interview. Went to company to do a stimulation test and a written multiple choice test. Had a 10 minute phone interview. Waiting on call for drug test.

Interview Questions
    • 2 questions (tell me about a time) had to change routine
      3rd was a hypothetically... 5 people, 5 stations, had to rotate, 1 person slowed down production, tell me how you would handle it
        View Answer