General Motors

Updated 12 Dec 2014
Updated 12 Dec 2014

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors in September 2014.

Met recruiters at Career Fair and scheduled interview for the next day. Next day interview was composed of behavioral questions. At the end of this interview, I was told I would be invited back for a more technical interview, which we scheduled for the next day. This interview was much of the same thing, but included a simple technical question.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time you have failed, and what did you learn from this experience?   Answer Question

Their initial offer was lower than I could accept. The lack of organization going from interviews to offer was also a big red flag for me. They claim to be improving processes, but it seems as though they are throwing the cheapest bodies they can at problems.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in September 2014.

Talked to GM at a career fair. Had two behavioral interviews. Mostly standard behavioral questions. A technical question was scheduled, but the interviewer decided not to ask it. Heard back within a month.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had a problem and how you went about solving the problem   Answer Question

Salary was not competitive

Network Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors in September 2014.

On campus recruiting. I went to a Career Fair hosted by my college and met them at their booth. They selected around 60 people to interview. After the interview they send your information off and tell you to create an online profile and apply for the area you wanted. Then you wait to see if you were selected.

Interview Questions
    • Basic behavioral questions. Name a time you did something/ thought something different than everybody else and how you dealt with the situation.   Answer Question

Product Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at General Motors.

Had an initial discussion with a manager who requested that I submit my resume online.
    I posted my Resume on the company job website and I am still awaiting an interview.

Infotainment Engineer Interview

Two phone interview followed by a onsite interview. First phone interview are mainly behavioral type. Second phone interview was much challenging and I was asked about different technologies used in speech recognition. Onsite was very straight forward. Whole hiring process took about 3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was that hard. They expected me to make a presentation of one of my projects which was something new and has never been done before. Also expected me to explain one of my C programs.   Answer Question

Engineer I Interview

I got referred to get my resume to a hiring manager. A few weeks later, I got a phone cal for an informal interview. There was like 3 easy questions about myself and given the chance to ask for questions. It lasted for about 15 minutes Then invited for on-site interview with 2 people interviewed me. Mostly behavior questions.

Siebel Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

3 interviews from people that work above me, but in the same building. Less than 3 interviews if you do not have competition. They asked general questions to understand how I work and how others could work with me.

Interview Questions
    • The last interview and last question was a software question and they asked me to solve it.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Trainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors in August 2014.

Applied online and received a phone call afterwards from a recruiter. The additional stages of the interview moved towards a face to face conversation at the location with multiple people (separate interviews with each). The visit started with an orientation type of conversation with other applicants prior to the one on one meetings. The interviewers were prepared and had all of the information I provided the recruiter...resume, references, etc. The resume was scribbled on here and there with notes they used to generate some impromptu questions. The rest of the questions were all situation based.

Interview Questions
    • Situational questions, STAR approach. Be prepared with examples   Answer Question
    none

Aftersales Engineering Interview

1.submitting CV thru 3rd party job opening website
    2. receiving calls from HR and doing a short interview on the phone
    3. interviewing the line manager and HRPR
    - CV review
    - Motivation, experience, interests, future career plan, etc.
    - Job description introduction
    4. getting offer

Interview Questions
    • how satisfied would you be if you get this job offer, rank it from 0 -10   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors.

Excellent work culture. Hiring is done through a day long interview with multiple leaders and a technical presentation to the relevant team. Interview is well thought out, carried out with certain amount of respect and dignity. The interview s relate to your ability and preparedness to carry to certain tasks and certainly not to check your bookish knowledge. Quite friendly atmosphere. Lots of background pre-interview collection of data is done.