General Motors

Updated 24 Feb 2015
Updated 24 Feb 2015

2.8

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Took about 4 weeks. I got met GM at a career fair. They scheduled an interview for the same day. and they only asked behavioral questions. About a week later I received a call and they scheduled a phone screen. Again, only behavioral questions. Then I received another call from HR. They said they want to give me an offer and I could choose between 3 locations. I had to wait few weeks to actually get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What type of people you don't like to work with?   View Answer

Sales and Marketing Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview was fairly easy. Typical behavioral questions so have those answers ready. I was contacted about my offer exactly two weeks after my interview just liked they promised. The gentleman that I interviewed with was really bland and he didn't seem like he wanted to be there which made the environment a bit akward.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you tried something that didn't work. How did you respond?   Answer Question

Production Group Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wentzville, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wentzville, MO (US)

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

Went through staffing agent. Uploaded resume and received call immediately because of background. Set up time to do phone interview the next day. Staffing agent was very helpful...shared interview tips and what to expect.
    Face to face interview: Behavioral based questions. Looking for strong demonstration of leadership skills and definitive examples of results. Conflict resolution in union shop. Meet in separate conference rooms with department heads.
    Expectations: Rotation of shifts every 3 mos. very visible on shop floor. Center manager doesn't want to hear the problem, but you're doing about the situation. Keep management updated on his situation is progressing.

Interview Questions
    • Long interview process witn each department heads. Tell me a time you failed? What did you learn or what would you do differently? Tell me a time you dealt with team members who didn't get along? Want very concise examples that demonstrate leadership style and how you got results.
      Just stay with STAR method but paint a clear picture.

Answer Question
    Contract work (long-term)

Validation Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

I was referred by an employee, but I still had to apply online.

5 days later they wanted to set up a phone screen. The standard questions like why GM, why this role, willingness to relocate, salary expectation, brief overview of internships/coursework.

3 weeks later I was notified of an hour long video interview with 2 of the HR managers.

At the interview they told me this role was for midlevel career people, but went ahead and did the interview anyway. Bit confusing as the posting had also included entry level.

Both alternated in asking questions and wanted to see me demonstrate the STAR method, what I learnt and how I have used that knowledge in another experience. Some of the questions were tough to answer since I didn't have much experience out of school.

There were around 10 questions in total, which took up 90 minutes, more than the allotted hour. The rest of the time I got to ask questions. The interview actually lasted 2 hours and my eyes were exhausted staring at the screen for so long. I had to follow up with them a month later; they said I'll be referred to a graduate-level position.

2 months later I'm invited to another 2 hour video interview for the SAME POSITION, but with different people. Apparently the first interviewers didn't put me in the system that indicates I've gone through this stage. It was more of the same questions and they'll notify me in 'a couple of weeks'. Highly inefficient for such a big company.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you shared communication with someone and had to revise it later on   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to make a difficult decision with totally inadequate information   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to manage multiple tasks   View Answer

Treasury Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

GM hires great talent in their treasury team and is a great place to build your career. Having said that the interview process is very technical. Expect to get asked detailed valuation questions as well as other corporate finance questions. One should prepare for this interview like a banking interview

Purchasing Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Pontiac, MI (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

30 minute phone interview- asked about my former job duties and why did I leave. Asked if I had worked for GM before; why would I want to work there; what do I under about the job that I applied for and what do I think about GM. After the phone interview they send your resume off to the hiring manager to see if he would want to interview you.

Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

I interviewed on campus after applying on my school's online application program. Interview was structured around STAR process. Professional interviewer who was very passionate about GM. GM also held a study break on campus that was very well done.

Entry Level IT Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

I met with a recruiter at a job fair and applied through my school's career website. I got an email from that site saying that GM approved me for an interview, so I scheduled a time. They had two guys interview me because they wanted to make 2 interviews into one interview.

Interview Questions
    • One question was describe a situation where you had to try to complete a task twice because you didn't get it right the first time.   Answer Question

Design Release Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at General Motors.

So far I had a phone interview after talking to a recruiter at a career fair. It consisted of four "Tell me about a time when..." questions. I now have an on sight interview scheduled.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you got results that were way greater than you expected.   Answer Question

GET Mechanical Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at General Motors.

First a list of student was sent to the company with their marks for each semester.Students with active backlogs are not allowed. Once the company arrived. There was a written technical and aptitude round. 60 minutes of 30 technical and 30 aptitude question. Technical questions were mainly from automobile engineering, strength of materials, heat transfer, thermodynamics and material science. 34 students appeared for the written round. 19 were selected. 3 departments were offered. Engine design, Transmission design and vehicle CAE. Once you have chosen the list is made for technical interviews. There were 7 students for vehicle CAE. Questions started with tell me about yourself, projects, etc. Braking force calculations, difference between double wishbone and mcpherson strut suspension. shear stress, von mises stress, principal stress. Bending monent diagrams, etc. It lasted for about 45 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Explain what is G force and what are different g forces for different kind of situations in cars (like impact and all)?   Answer Question