General Motors Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated 15 Apr 2015

2.3

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in April 2015.

Interview

I had two half-hour behavioral interviews on campus. It was a pretty relaxed setting with friendly people. Each interviewer had a set of questions to ask with no overlap. After these interviewers I also had the opportunity to speak with the lead recruiter and ask any other questions I had.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you attempted a solution to a problem that failed. How did you handle this failure?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for General Motors

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chandler, AZ (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors (Chandler, AZ (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

2 interviews. One at ASU where I found the job. and the second in Chandler. Lots of HR questions. If you were put in this situation what would you do? Very nice office great benefits. 3000$ car credit. 3 weeks vacation time. good 401k plan tuition reimbursement after 3 years.

Interview Questions

• Lots of HR questions. If you were put in this situation what would you do?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors (Fayetteville, AR (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I got an interview through my university career fair. The interview came about two weeks later and was pretty straight forward situational questions. Two interviews with two hiring managers. Received offer the same day.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time you had to completely give or abandon a project or assignment.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

Mine was a strictly behavioral interview on campus. I met with two software engineers or developers and went through a range of questions which I did not find difficult. You simply give examples of how you handle various situations. It is important to explain the process that you used in going about handling various situations. All in all, it was not too hard, and if you get to know the people sitting across from you, it all goes smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to solve a problem twice because you were wrong at first.   Answer Question

Software Development Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at General Motors.

Interview

I was offered an On Campus interview which was mostly behavioral. The questions mostly tailored to different situations I had been in whether in school or the work place and how I handled the situations. The recruiter got in touch with me soon after my interview with more information about the process going forward. Overall, I had a very positive experience interviewing and working with them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you disagreed with a peer and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at General Motors (Pittsburgh, PA (US)) in February 2015.

Interview

Company visited university and found my resume. Emailed me the night before for a morning interview. Then had another interview the next day. Total of two interviews, and both were done on campus. Predominantly behavioral. Don't know yet if I received the job, so tentatively saying no. Will update once they get back to me.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a project you worked on.
      When did you have to compromise when making a decision.
      What went wrong during the the project?
      How did you handle it?
      What lessons did you learn?

1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through Career Fair. They are basically looking for people with good CGPA and communication skills. All behavioral questions in the first round. Interview was on campus. The recruiter was very friendly and made me feel comfortable. It was a very positive experience. Waiting for the second round. Shall update once I'm done.

Interview Questions

• 1) Strength
      2) Most difficult project ?
      3) Risk you took ?
      4) Project you approached incorrectly ?
      5) Why GM ?

Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at General Motors in February 2015.

Interview

There was a phone screening first, nothing technical. Then two interviews after that. Both in person interviews were mostly behavioral questions, pretty much "Tell me about a time when...". Both interviewers were very nice and answered any questions that I had. There were also a couple of recruiters there to cover basics about benefits/days off/etc...

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a problem and didn't immediately know how to solve it.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at General Motors.

Interview

They had two people interview me, it lasted around 2 hours. I believe it was 45 minutes for each individual and the last minutes left to ask questions. They had packets to with a ton of questions to ask me about, so that was the reason the interview took so long.

Interview Questions

• It was most behavioral questions that focused on teamwork. They are looking for people that can work in a team. Most difficult question: "How did you deal with someone that was not doing their work? How did you handle the situation? What would you change?"   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at General Motors in November 2014.

Interview

3 interviews all behavior based. Theres a phone screening too. I thought i had done bad but i guess not because i got an offer. Thanks to my family and God!