Giant Eagle

Updated 31 Oct 2014
Updated 31 Oct 2014

2.3

Corporate Headquarters Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Giant Eagle.

Obtained position through a recruiter. There was one interview with the department manager.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or surprise questions. Most questions were around how my background experiences would ensure success in the open role.   View Answer
    Additional vacation was negotiated.

Any Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Giant Eagle in October 2014.

Group interview "reservation" time set between 2-4 PM Sunday in downtown Cleveland. Upon arrival, was notified there would be no interview due to large turnout. Instructed to leave name and contact info for an interview at a nearby store at a future date. Received a $5 certificate for the Market District and a parking voucher that I did not use due to the lot being full. Did receive an e-mail the next day providing a new group interview time at a store location later in the week.

Sales Associate- Prepared Food Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Giant Eagle in October 2014.

Applied online, had a 10 minute screening telephone interview, several days later, the company had a group interview with between 10 to 15 interviewees. The interview was very comfortable, low stress, and interesting but lasted two hours. Successful candidates were offered jobs on the spot. We were assigned partners and had specific tasks to complete in a limited amount of time.

There was no negotiation

Detective Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Giant Eagle.

The interview process was straight forward. I was interviewed by both the District Loss Prevention Manager and a District Rep Investigator. We had an intellectual discussion about the field I was interviewing for along with my education and work experience. Both interviewers used forensic interviewing techniques to establish a honest report which, I identified after the second question was asked based on how it was asked and the follow up question that proceeded after.

Interview Questions
    • When preparing for a interview, especially in a risk oriented position, do your research on not only the company but current risks associated with how they already do business.   Answer Question

Front End Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Giant Eagle in September 2014.

I've had 2 interviews one a while back that was a group and another recently which was one on one anyway I had this one on one interview in Sept. I did it and it went well I was even interviewed by the manager of that whole store and he said I was the perfect candidate so at the end of it he told me I would get a call within this next week but if we don't call then call us back in a week. I went home enjoyed myself since I did great in my opinion anyway the next day I was checking my email and they sent one saying I did not go to my interview so I called right away and ended up get the guy who interview me and he said that he would make sure that was fixed so after that phone call I waited a week later and called back I got some woman who did not inform me at all of who she was and basically she told me to look at my email and check it because apparently that is how they hire people in the company anyway I had a great interview but I had a crappy time getting the job which I did not get at all.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you were stuck in a situation you didn't know how to work it out?   View Answer

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Giant Eagle in September 2014.

After a recruiter telephone interview as well as a hiring manager telephone interview for a position at their corporate office in mid-July, 2014, it took a month to get a face-to-face interview scheduled - two weeks from that! Then, it was cancelled and rescheduled; then, a call was received to reschedule the same cancelled interview. Then, I never received the email to confirm the last rescheduled interview as promised. It was a nightmare to contact someone by telephone today to cancel the interview (tomorrow) - I accepted another job offer as I could not wait any longer for Giant Eagle. Way too many red flags. And the person who took my call never even apologized on behalf of the company. if this is any indication of how they treat their employees ------

Cashier/Bagger/Cart Guy Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Giant Eagle in July 2014.

I submitted an application on a Saturday and was called on Sunday to interview on Monday.

The woman who interviewed me was very nice. She introduced herself, told me about the history of the company, told me about the duties of a cashier and bagger, told me about dress code, then she asked basic questions. I was interviewed in a short amount of time and it was a positive experience overall.

Market District Strongsville Job Fair From Hell- Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Strongsville, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Strongsville, OH (US)

I applied online – interviewed at Giant Eagle in July 2014.

So I along with 1500+ other people attended the market district job fair for the new location in Strongsville, Ohio. The set up was nice at first where they interviewed us in groups and they had food for us and goody bags. The interview included role playing and they based whether they saw us fit for the company. It was fun but very tiring. This lasted for an hour and a half. We then wasted time by talking to Department managers about availability We were given availability sheets to fill out but then they reviewed them and then told us that they were looking for open availability which could have been clearly communicated before hand. After wasting more time with that, we as a group waited for 45 more minutes just to be told that they only had part-time and get this: they were only paying minimum wage $7.45! I have another job and felt that my complete Saturday was wasted for 5 hours when we were told that they only needed 2 hours from us. I took the position only because I was leaving with something after being there for so long but I doubt that I go to orientation because 7.45 is just gas to get out there. Then to have to pay union dues. Giant Eagle/ Market district is a joke, just hire a bunch of kids in High school for that pay. Intentions were good but communication was terrible.

Interview Questions
    • We role played and questions included what to do when a customer is upset, how to sell and product and what would you do type of questions.   Answer Question

Front End Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Giant Eagle in July 2014.

I applied online and two days later I got called by the hiring recruiter. She set me up for an interview with the front-end manager for the next day. I went and did the interview, which was quick and easy, and they called me two hours later asking me to accept the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were starving before work and there was a long line of customers in front of your cash register? How would that make you feel?   View Answer
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Giant Eagle.

Applied in store with a paper application. Got called for an interview in about a week. Had one simple one on one interview and was hired on the spot. I signed up for Part-time work and ended getting over 40 hours.

There was no negotiation