GlaxoSmithKline Interview Questions

Updated 25 Oct 2014
Updated 25 Oct 2014

3.1

Junior IT Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

A presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managers

N/A

IT Graduate Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

First online application with a few questions, nothing terrible. Then a video interview which is very awkward.

Then expect a long wait time till you receive an invite to an assessment centre. I didnt hear back for three months and know of people who didnt hear back for 5/6 months.

Assessment day was hard. Nice facilities however some of the GSK people were quite rude so made it hard to enjoy yourself.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult in the interview   View Answer

Finance Manager Planning and Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentford, England

I applied online – interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in March 2014.

telephone interview (30 mins) followed by face to face interview with hiring manager and its line manager (Finance Director). focus on competencies and work related examples for different situations.
    no feedback after the interview, even if it was one hour and a half long and they were impressed by my experience and my technical "textbook knowledge"
    I requested a formal feedback and they told me that they are "are in the final stages of making a decision", no further details, but never heard of them back again

Interview Questions
    • predictable questions, no formal introduction of the interviewers (they never presented themselves with their job names, I had to search them on Linked in to know who they were), the hiring manager was the one to coordinate the interviews (dates, time, location) - no HR involvement whatsoever in the recruitment process   Answer Question

Analytical Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in March 2014.

All organised well until arrival. At the gate in Stevenage the guards didnt want to let me in as they had no info about me or my arrival. Also they could not find the hiring managers details
    I have not received any feedback after the interview, despite my request. It took 2 months to give me the final answer and not up to 2 weeks as promised at the interview. This made me feel disrespected.

Interview Questions
    • HR manager has asked me: Do you own a house? Are you married? Do you have children and how many? etc. The was no reason for asking these questions. I felt disrespected when i heard them. My enthusiasm for GSK melted like snow is a sunny day. I didnt have anything to hide, but i felt undermined and devalued.   View Answers (2)

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worthing, South East England, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in February 2014.

I sent my CV to a recruitment agency to apply for the role. The following day I received a phone call to discuss my experiences, salary expectations and why I was looking for a move. A week later I received a phone call requesting a face to face interview. The interview was scheduled for the following week at a time convenient for me. The interview consisted of a competency based panel interview followed by a presentation and lasted ~1hour 30minutes. After which I had the floor to ask questions. I was informed that it would take ~2weeks to get feed back as they had just started the interview process and had a lot of candidates to interview. On the Monday of the start of the third week following the interview I received a phone call from the recruiter that GSK had made an offer for me, which after some questioning I was happy to accept. GSK had the best onboarding process I have encountered in my professional career. They have a dedicated onboarding profile which was clear, and easy to use.

Interview Questions
    • As the interview was competency based, it was all about your dealings and experience with difficult people, decisions and how you go about influencing people. The most unexpected question was asking me what my current salary is, this was the first time I have had a hiring manager ask that during the interview. Their technical question was regarding how you would go about conducting an investigation, which I felt wasn't technical at all.   Answer Question
    Yes I was able to negotiate my salary for the grade I was being interviewed for. I did not feel any requirement to negotiate as I felt the salary offered was very competitive. I would say if you are going to negotiate have a solid case on why you are worth more than they are offering and what skill you have that will benefit the business greatly.

Future Leaders Programmer In Science - Pharmacy Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in December 2013.

For this selection process, I was asked 5 strength questions which are pretty straightforward (detailed below).
    I was then selected to conduct an inductive reasoning test: a kind of logical test you can find many examples on the internet.
    Unfortunately, I was not selected to the next stage after this test.

Interview Questions
    • 1. At GSK we are committed to high quality customer and patient care and are focused on research and global health improvements. We want to understand why you are interested in working for GSK and what motivates you. We are also interested in what you are passionate about and what types of tasks you really enjoy doing or feel that you excel in.
      What interests you about GSK? Think about your key strengths (i.e. what are you really passionate about) and how will you utilise these strengths to be successful at GSK? (Maximum 300 words)
        Answer Question
    • 2. At GSK we are constantly striving to improve the way we work in order to drive better results. Our people embrace change, are motivated to constantly learn and develop and seek new opportunities.
      What interests you about this specific programme? Think about how will you utilise your strengths, skills and knowledge to deliver high quality results for your chosen programme? (Maximum 300 words)
        Answer Question
    • 3. It is important for the continued success of GSK that employees learn from experiences, understand their strengths and development areas, explore possibilities and new ideas.
      Please describe an experience from a previous role (paid or voluntary work) where you have learned an important lesson and applied this in a new context? (Maximum 300 words)
        Answer Question
    • 4. GSK drives its success by building strong, positive relationships with stakeholders and by taking time to understand customer and patient needs. It is essential that employees keep up to date with research and market trends in order to understand their potential strategic impact on health improvement, patient and customer needs.
      Please tell us about a current topic or challenge in the healthcare industry that is of interest to you and what strategic or long term impact you think this could have on GSK? (Maximum 300 words)
        Answer Question
    • 5. At GSK we are continuously striving to improve the way we work. In order to be successful in the long term, our employees need to demonstrate strong leadership and influencing skills as well as the ability to understand others. Thinking about the experience you have gained from your interests, hobbies or extra-curricular activities; please describe the following:
      Your biggest individual achievement including the position of responsibility held over the past 3-4 years. Think about the challenges you overcame and how you ensured a positive outcome. (Maximum 300 words)

Industrial Placement Year Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

Online form and one interview

Interview Questions
    • Mechanism of action of Fc receptors and common humanised antibodies on the market   View Answer

QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worthing, South East England, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in October 2013.

Initially applied via an agency and was invited in for a face to face interview. Sat a basic maths and english test (Very basic - GCSE standard), before having a face to face interview with a panel of 3 people from different company sectors.

They mainly asked competency questions (What motivates you, why do you want this job) etc but then asked some routine technical questions for the role, nothing too detailed just to ensure you understood what it is you were doing.

Future Leaders Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in August 2013.

Online form and cover letter.
    Video interview- online interview, Strange process as questions flash up on screen and you are given 60seconds to prepare your answer and then you have 3 minutes to respond or you can use less time if you don't require it.

If successful, progression to assessment day.

Interview Questions
    • Standard competency questions followed by a surprise question to catch you off guard (changes all the time).   View Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentford, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in March 2013.

The process started by the exchange of a few emails with an HR manager. After the submition of my CV and cover letter, she put me in contact with my future manager. Then, I got a phone interview with this manager and her boss. After several questions on my CV and my experience, they asked me why GSK, why Procurement and ultimately, to describe a discount I had nogatiated in my life.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a discount you have negotiated in your life. It could be anything.   Answer Question
    I was asked what were my expectations in terms of salary. I replied I was not asking much but I wanted to be financially independent so I would appreciate to have enough for food and accomodation. The manager said, without mentionning any amount, that they would give me a small compensation. Eventually, £1200/ month was more than enough