GlaxoSmithKline

Updated 27 Jan 2015
Updated 27 Jan 2015

3.1

IT Industrial Placement Year Interview

I applied online – interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

Presentation on 'Your greatest achievement, that you are most passionate about'-roughly 15 minutes and then a set of competency questions. There were 3 people who interviewed me and the whole process lasted 1 hour.

Interview Questions
    • Views on animal testing/ Best source of information you use   Answer Question

Graduate Chemical Engineer Interview

Application, online tests - verbal, numerical, diagrammatic, telephone interview, assessment center consisting of team exercises, role play, technical presentation and interview. The role play was a bit difficult because you will be given about 15 minutes to read and then you will act as a manager to one of the assessors. The technical presentation topic will be given one week prior to the day of assessment.

Interview Questions
    • The technical interview was a bit difficult because you will be asked practical questions on process dynamics and control, draw P & IDs and stuffs like that. There is no much preparation to make, you need to use your residual knowledge.   Answer Question

Procurement Manager Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

I was interviewed 4 days after submitting my resume and had to wait due to some internal interviews taking place at the same time. I then received a confirmation of job offer after 3 days.

Interview Questions
    One interview only. Feedback from employer confirmed that my profile was apparently the best out of 3 other candidates in term of experience.

Position Interview

Applied through the university for the position online, attended a brief presentation also on the project. Had an interview at GSK, was given 4 days to prepare a presentation on the topic and had to resent before the interview. Panel of three people, quite abrupt and unfriendly but purposely done in this manner

Future Leader Graduate Programmer - Communications and Gov Affairs Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in October 2014.

Online application form and verbal/numerical reasoning tests, online interview. This interview is done at home and is like Skype but with no real person on the other end. You are given questions to answer, a little time to prepare and then a couple of minutes to answer. I was asked 6 STAR-type questions and then 2 extra 2 minute time slots to add any further comments you may have.

Interview Questions
    • Things like 'Give an example of when you showed leadership in a team situation'   Answer Question

Junior IT Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

A presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managersA presentation in front of two line managers

N/A

IT Graduate Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline.

First online application with a few questions, nothing terrible. Then a video interview which is very awkward.

Then expect a long wait time till you receive an invite to an assessment centre. I didnt hear back for three months and know of people who didnt hear back for 5/6 months.

Assessment day was hard. Nice facilities however some of the GSK people were quite rude so made it hard to enjoy yourself.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult in the interview   View Answer

Finance Manager Planning and Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentford, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentford, England

I applied online – interviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in March 2014.

telephone interview (30 mins) followed by face to face interview with hiring manager and its line manager (Finance Director). focus on competencies and work related examples for different situations.
    no feedback after the interview, even if it was one hour and a half long and they were impressed by my experience and my technical "textbook knowledge"
    I requested a formal feedback and they told me that they are "are in the final stages of making a decision", no further details, but never heard of them back again

Interview Questions
    • predictable questions, no formal introduction of the interviewers (they never presented themselves with their job names, I had to search them on Linked in to know who they were), the hiring manager was the one to coordinate the interviews (dates, time, location) - no HR involvement whatsoever in the recruitment process   Answer Question

Analytical Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in March 2014.

All organised well until arrival. At the gate in Stevenage the guards didnt want to let me in as they had no info about me or my arrival. Also they could not find the hiring managers details
    I have not received any feedback after the interview, despite my request. It took 2 months to give me the final answer and not up to 2 weeks as promised at the interview. This made me feel disrespected.

Interview Questions
    • HR manager has asked me: Do you own a house? Are you married? Do you have children and how many? etc. The was no reason for asking these questions. I felt disrespected when i heard them. My enthusiasm for GSK melted like snow is a sunny day. I didnt have anything to hide, but i felt undermined and devalued.   View Answers (2)

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worthing, South East England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worthing, South East England, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at GlaxoSmithKline in February 2014.

I sent my CV to a recruitment agency to apply for the role. The following day I received a phone call to discuss my experiences, salary expectations and why I was looking for a move. A week later I received a phone call requesting a face to face interview. The interview was scheduled for the following week at a time convenient for me. The interview consisted of a competency based panel interview followed by a presentation and lasted ~1hour 30minutes. After which I had the floor to ask questions. I was informed that it would take ~2weeks to get feed back as they had just started the interview process and had a lot of candidates to interview. On the Monday of the start of the third week following the interview I received a phone call from the recruiter that GSK had made an offer for me, which after some questioning I was happy to accept. GSK had the best onboarding process I have encountered in my professional career. They have a dedicated onboarding profile which was clear, and easy to use.

Interview Questions
    • As the interview was competency based, it was all about your dealings and experience with difficult people, decisions and how you go about influencing people. The most unexpected question was asking me what my current salary is, this was the first time I have had a hiring manager ask that during the interview. Their technical question was regarding how you would go about conducting an investigation, which I felt wasn't technical at all.   Answer Question
    Yes I was able to negotiate my salary for the grade I was being interviewed for. I did not feel any requirement to negotiate as I felt the salary offered was very competitive. I would say if you are going to negotiate have a solid case on why you are worth more than they are offering and what skill you have that will benefit the business greatly.