Goldman Sachs

Getting the Interview

82 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

Interview Details Its application to the gradudate Analyst program at GS FICC department. Completed several online tests beforehand. Took around 3 months to receive invitation to phone interview with one of the teams in FICC. At interview, hiring manager was very busy and that the phone interview only lasts for 30 mins. questions mainly going through the CV

Interview Question – what do you know about FICC   View Answer

London, England

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

Interview Details - online application and results 2 months later. Traditional cv sections to fill out and additional open ended questions such as:
When did you last work in a group where you had to work hard to try and influence others? Describe the situation and the challenges you encountered.
Please describe the most recent crisis you’ve faced in an important project and how you overcame this.
Please describe a recent example of when you took the initiative to do something that needed to
be done, even though it wasn’t your area of responsibility.
 - 1 day interview consisting of numerical and verbal reasoning tests and interviewed by two staff members; competency based and questions to do with my course.
The company was very responsive throughout the whole process. Good feedback given after assessment.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work for Goldman Sachs?   Answer Question

London, England

The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2010.

Interview Details Was approached by a Head Hunter saying there was an Analyst position with Goldman Sachs. A meeting was set up for one week later.

Interview comprised of 3 x 30 minute interviews with 2 analysts and 1 associate, one after the other. Was fairly informal, mainly discussing my career history, achievements, motivations and ambitions. Did not have any technical or competency questions.

Found the attitude of the interviewers very peculiar; I was told there were little to no progression opportunities from the role and two of the interviewers were trying to convince me I was overqualified and my explanation for why it wasn't constantly fell on deaf ears.

After the dust had settled, the feedback from the interview was that I had "no hunger" for the role. I guess saying the phrases "I'd be really excited to take up this role" and "I'm excited about the learning opportunities this role would provide" at least two or three times to each interviewer didn't count.

My experience from the interview was very negative. Not only did I not get a call back, but the feedback I received was completely fictional, so I can't even look for any areas to improve. If I didn't have another job offer already in the bag I would be very disappointed.

Interview Questions

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details The interview process included a couple of case studies and very technical questions about the previous job and the work done.

Interview Question – Which JAVA API did you use in your previous job?   View Answer

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details Contacted by third party recruiter, went through 3 phone interviews, onsite interview met with 10 people (7 technical and 3 HR, 2 out of 10 are managing director).

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details Initial phone interview followed by two rounds of interviews- each round consisted of 3 back to back 30 min interviews.

Interview Question – No difficult questions- I had anticipated the tricky questions, but mostly, it was a pleasant conversation.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details Intense. Requires careful preparation. Seek feedback through mock interviews before superday. Have conviction.

Interview Question – Most questions are derivatives of questions on prep guides. I was asked how to solve the European crisis, which was expected. The surprise was the detailed follow-up on nuances. It was basically a pressure session.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2010.

Interview Details Interviewed with 15+ investment banking professionals; everybody was friendly and engaging, but each interview was challenging

Interview Question – "What is 13 times 14?"   Answer Question

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details 0. A lot of discussion about my under grad college,its campus,hostel life,( even food quality !!). Then why not Phd-difference in academiic and corporate life etc etc?
1. What is outlier? Why we are concerned about them - give a situation ? How to detect it? 2008 crisis-extreme value theory?
2. What do you mean by lift chart?
3. Stability of a system? Describe eigenvalues and eigenvectors?
4. What do you mean by Factor Analysis?
5. logistic regression? how to estimate its parameters? how to know whether it is a good model or not? Give an example of it.
6. When is a PDE parabolic? Methods to solve PDE numerically? Explain Finite Difference Method
7.Describe CLT?
8. How to Estimate parameters of ARIMA model?What is ACF?

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details pretty standard interviews. spoke with almost everyone in the team. Goldman focuses on team work so character matters a lot, of course you have to be a qualified candidate first. It was overall a very positive interview experience. Everyone I spoke with was very professional and nice. It was a very long process, round by round. Be prepared.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Goldman Sachs

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!

Goldman Sachs Videos

Goldman Sachs – Why Work for Us?

We bring together people, capital and ideas to produce solutions and results for our clients by playing a number of roles: financial advisor, lender, investor and asset manager. A commitment to integrity, team work and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Goldman Sachs Analyst interview questions and advice. All 82 interview reviews posted anonymously by Goldman Sachs employees and interview candidates.