Goldman Sachs Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Sep 14, 2014

3.4

90 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

Was contacted by HR (they had my details on file) and asked if I'd like to interview for an Analyst position.I believe this was part of their off-cycle intake.
Interviews were 1:1, and back-to-back. No "surprise" or "trick" questions. Common sense dictates: know your stuff, inside out. Questions were slightly 'behavioural' in nature. All of my interviewers were very pleasant.

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

Its application to the gradudate Analyst program at GS FICC department. Completed several online tests beforehand. Took around 3 months to receive invitation to phone interview with one of the teams in FICC. At interview, hiring manager was very busy and that the phone interview only lasts for 30 mins. questions mainly going through the CV

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

- online application and results 2 months later. Traditional cv sections to fill out and additional open ended questions such as:
    When did you last work in a group where you had to work hard to try and influence others? Describe the situation and the challenges you encountered.
    Please describe the most recent crisis you’ve faced in an important project and how you overcame this.
    Please describe a recent example of when you took the initiative to do something that needed to
    be done, even though it wasn’t your area of responsibility.
     - 1 day interview consisting of numerical and verbal reasoning tests and interviewed by two staff members; competency based and questions to do with my course.
    The company was very responsive throughout the whole process. Good feedback given after assessment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2010.

Was approached by a Head Hunter saying there was an Analyst position with Goldman Sachs. A meeting was set up for one week later.

Interview comprised of 3 x 30 minute interviews with 2 analysts and 1 associate, one after the other. Was fairly informal, mainly discussing my career history, achievements, motivations and ambitions. Did not have any technical or competency questions.

Found the attitude of the interviewers very peculiar; I was told there were little to no progression opportunities from the role and two of the interviewers were trying to convince me I was overqualified and my explanation for why it wasn't constantly fell on deaf ears.

After the dust had settled, the feedback from the interview was that I had "no hunger" for the role. I guess saying the phrases "I'd be really excited to take up this role" and "I'm excited about the learning opportunities this role would provide" at least two or three times to each interviewer didn't count.

My experience from the interview was very negative. Not only did I not get a call back, but the feedback I received was completely fictional, so I can't even look for any areas to improve. If I didn't have another job offer already in the bag I would be very disappointed.

Analyst Interview

I was sent Immediately to "super day".... through networking.

5 interviews in Chicago office 7AM - Noon. Ranged from VPs to new hires.

Awesome facility. The experienced professionals were awesome. Younger analysts seemed awkward & overworked.

I am not a finance major, so questions were more market based/behavioral based/etc.... Nothing too complex. If you watch the news/follows the WSJ you should be fine understanding the questions.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work at a company where you will have no life?"   View Answer

Analyst Interview

Had an technical and HR round interview on same day at bangalore office EGL. This was for experienced candidates. The interview was scheduled @12 pm but they called us only at 2 PM . The questions were simple easy to crack HR was more a formality. But dont get the reason on what they select the candidates

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

company presentation, the company does not want any experienced person, 30 minutes aptitude test was conducted after the presentation, 1-1 interview general is conducted for the candidates who cleared the aptitude test, 2-1 interview technical and general is conducted in the next day for who cleared the 1st round interview, 2-1 interview technical is conducted for the final selection.

Interview Questions
    • since i didn't attend the final round, all the questions were common and general.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2014.

I was hired for their CRMA division. It took a month for them to get back after I submitted my application. The entire interview process took 2 months, mostly due to the availability of interviewers. I waited for exactly 2 weeks to hear back after the final interview.
    The overall interview process was very positive. Needless to say that everyone was very professional. There were 8 half-hour back-to-back interviews, all conducted over the phone. There were some typical behavioral questions including tell me about yourself, tell me a time when you had a heavy workload, tell me about a project at your latest internship... etc. You need to know your resume very well. I don't have a very strong finance background, so they didn't ask very advanced finance questions, though there were still some basic technical questions such as what is credit risk, how would you analyze a company's credit risk, what role does debt plays in credit risk analysis, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were expected. The most unexpected question was what do you think is the most important thing to GS at this point?   View Answer
    No negotiation. The salary is fair.

Analyst Interview

consensus driven; multiple round interviews, with often 10+ people involved in the process; topics range from current events to brain teasers and corporate finance questions. people were generally friendly and open to discussion.

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First rounds on campus and then was invited back for a second round with a number of groups and then a final super day where I interviewed with everyone in the specific group I was looking at

Interview Questions
    • Everything was fairly standard interview. A few math type questions, but knew these (and got asked them) since I had a finance background   Answer Question
    No negotiation since analyst program has pre-set amounts

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!