Goldman Sachs

Average Difficulty
87 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

Interview Details Its application to the gradudate Analyst program at GS FICC department. Completed several online tests beforehand. Took around 3 months to receive invitation to phone interview with one of the teams in FICC. At interview, hiring manager was very busy and that the phone interview only lasts for 30 mins. questions mainly going through the CV

Interview Question – what do you know about FICC   View Answer

London, England

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2010.

Interview Details - online application and results 2 months later. Traditional cv sections to fill out and additional open ended questions such as:
When did you last work in a group where you had to work hard to try and influence others? Describe the situation and the challenges you encountered.
Please describe the most recent crisis you’ve faced in an important project and how you overcame this.
Please describe a recent example of when you took the initiative to do something that needed to
be done, even though it wasn’t your area of responsibility.
 - 1 day interview consisting of numerical and verbal reasoning tests and interviewed by two staff members; competency based and questions to do with my course.
The company was very responsive throughout the whole process. Good feedback given after assessment.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work for Goldman Sachs?   Answer Question

London, England

The process took a day - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2010.

Interview Details Was approached by a Head Hunter saying there was an Analyst position with Goldman Sachs. A meeting was set up for one week later.

Interview comprised of 3 x 30 minute interviews with 2 analysts and 1 associate, one after the other. Was fairly informal, mainly discussing my career history, achievements, motivations and ambitions. Did not have any technical or competency questions.

Found the attitude of the interviewers very peculiar; I was told there were little to no progression opportunities from the role and two of the interviewers were trying to convince me I was overqualified and my explanation for why it wasn't constantly fell on deaf ears.

After the dust had settled, the feedback from the interview was that I had "no hunger" for the role. I guess saying the phrases "I'd be really excited to take up this role" and "I'm excited about the learning opportunities this role would provide" at least two or three times to each interviewer didn't count.

My experience from the interview was very negative. Not only did I not get a call back, but the feedback I received was completely fictional, so I can't even look for any areas to improve. If I didn't have another job offer already in the bag I would be very disappointed.

Interview Questions

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

Interview Details company presentation, the company does not want any experienced person, 30 minutes aptitude test was conducted after the presentation, 1-1 interview general is conducted for the candidates who cleared the aptitude test, 2-1 interview technical and general is conducted in the next day for who cleared the 1st round interview, 2-1 interview technical is conducted for the final selection.

Interview Question – since i didn't attend the final round, all the questions were common and general.   Answer Question

Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2014.

Interview Details I was hired for their CRMA division. It took a month for them to get back after I submitted my application. The entire interview process took 2 months, mostly due to the availability of interviewers. I waited for exactly 2 weeks to hear back after the final interview.
The overall interview process was very positive. Needless to say that everyone was very professional. There were 8 half-hour back-to-back interviews, all conducted over the phone. There were some typical behavioral questions including tell me about yourself, tell me a time when you had a heavy workload, tell me about a project at your latest internship... etc. You need to know your resume very well. I don't have a very strong finance background, so they didn't ask very advanced finance questions, though there were still some basic technical questions such as what is credit risk, how would you analyze a company's credit risk, what role does debt plays in credit risk analysis, etc.

Interview Question – Most questions were expected. The most unexpected question was what do you think is the most important thing to GS at this point?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The salary is fair.

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details consensus driven; multiple round interviews, with often 10+ people involved in the process; topics range from current events to brain teasers and corporate finance questions. people were generally friendly and open to discussion.

Interview Question – what is your competitive advantage vs other candidates?   View Answer

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details First rounds on campus and then was invited back for a second round with a number of groups and then a final super day where I interviewed with everyone in the specific group I was looking at

Interview Question – Everything was fairly standard interview. A few math type questions, but knew these (and got asked them) since I had a finance background   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation since analyst program has pre-set amounts

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview Details Initial communication was at a school career fair. Then applied online and was invited to an on-campus interview. There were two interviews each ~30mins with two current employees. After getting invited to final round I was invited to a meet and greet with current vice presidents on campus. Flew out and spent the night prior to all day interviews. Interviews were round robin-esque and went around to three different groups of two for ~30mins each. Then continued receiving emails from firm saying I was still being considered but hadn't been placed. Finally had a phone interview with the team I would be working with on the phone.

Interview Question – Questions weren't difficult - all behaviorally-oriented.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-negotiable

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details The interview process included a couple of case studies and very technical questions about the previous job and the work done.

Interview Question – Which JAVA API did you use in your previous job?   View Answer

Interviewed at Goldman Sachs

Interview Details Contacted by third party recruiter, went through 3 phone interviews, onsite interview met with 10 people (7 technical and 3 HR, 2 out of 10 are managing director).

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!