Goldman Sachs Analyst Interview Questions

Updated 17 Apr 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England).

Interview

the interview consisted of 3 parts: scheduler assignment, java and sql questions, interview with a vp to check my motivation and why I want to work in Goldman Sachs. I had to go to their office and have the interview.

Interview Questions

• what java patterns you know? Explain the decorator and factory design patterns.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England) in October 2014.

Interview

Analytical exercise - This Involves sitting in a boardroom with everyone who is being interviewed. You have half an hour to read through an exercise and build a perception/response to the case study. You are then directed to a different room where your thought process and answers are analysed by a senior member of the company. It is a very relaxed atmosphere in the interview and a different experience.

Once this is completed, you have a standard competency based interview with two people.

Interview Questions

• What is your view on unit testing within the workplace?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Waiting for my final interview date.

Application

Interview

two rounds.
    1. exercise + presentation (the ex is about giving a solution of a problem, depends on which area you are applying)
    2. 3 round interviews (2 competency, and 1 technical)

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England) in September 2014.

Interview

Was contacted by HR (they had my details on file) and asked if I'd like to interview for an Analyst position.I believe this was part of their off-cycle intake.
    Interviews were 1:1, and back-to-back. No "surprise" or "trick" questions. Common sense dictates: know your stuff, inside out. Questions were slightly 'behavioural' in nature. All of my interviewers were very pleasant.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in August 2011.

Interview

I had 4 interviews. Two were in person from New York and two were via video conference with two individuals each time. The interviews tested my understanding of the role, industry, and expectations.

Interview Questions

• What's your understanding on the current industry? Describe recent events to demonstrate your interest.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I went through a fellowship where the salary was already determined on a range.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England) in June 2010.

Interview

Was approached by a Head Hunter saying there was an Analyst position with Goldman Sachs. A meeting was set up for one week later.

Interview comprised of 3 x 30 minute interviews with 2 analysts and 1 associate, one after the other. Was fairly informal, mainly discussing my career history, achievements, motivations and ambitions. Did not have any technical or competency questions.

Found the attitude of the interviewers very peculiar; I was told there were little to no progression opportunities from the role and two of the interviewers were trying to convince me I was overqualified and my explanation for why it wasn't constantly fell on deaf ears.

After the dust had settled, the feedback from the interview was that I had "no hunger" for the role. I guess saying the phrases "I'd be really excited to take up this role" and "I'm excited about the learning opportunities this role would provide" at least two or three times to each interviewer didn't count.

My experience from the interview was very negative. Not only did I not get a call back, but the feedback I received was completely fictional, so I can't even look for any areas to improve. If I didn't have another job offer already in the bag I would be very disappointed.

Application

Interview

- online application and results 2 months later. Traditional cv sections to fill out and additional open ended questions such as:
    When did you last work in a group where you had to work hard to try and influence others? Describe the situation and the challenges you encountered.
    Please describe the most recent crisis you’ve faced in an important project and how you overcame this.
    Please describe a recent example of when you took the initiative to do something that needed to
    be done, even though it wasn’t your area of responsibility.
     - 1 day interview consisting of numerical and verbal reasoning tests and interviewed by two staff members; competency based and questions to do with my course.
    The company was very responsive throughout the whole process. Good feedback given after assessment.

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs (London, England) in March 2010.

Interview

Its application to the gradudate Analyst program at GS FICC department. Completed several online tests beforehand. Took around 3 months to receive invitation to phone interview with one of the teams in FICC. At interview, hiring manager was very busy and that the phone interview only lasts for 30 mins. questions mainly going through the CV

Interview Questions

• what do you know about FICC   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)).

Interview

Had many rounds of interview (video conference, tele conference, face-to-face, panel), very intense and challenging. Whole interview process lasted for couple of months. Interviewers are very smart and nice, and you can feel that they really enjoy working in this company. Be prepared for challenging questions that you never think of.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Interview

It was a campus interview which started with around 100 students applying for the job. They shortlisted 20 candidated based on their CVs. The first round was mostly about technical questions where they asked about different market risk concepts and about basics of diffenerenct fincncial instruments. They also asked about new regulatory regime Basel 3.

Interview Questions

• 1. What do you mean by Risk?
      2. What is Value at risk and what are the methods of calculating it?
      3. If 1 day 99% VaR is 10mm then what is 10 day 99% VaR?
      4. What is the underlying assumptions while scaling VaR to 10 days?
      5. What is backtesting?
      6. What are option greeks?
      7. Asked some questions about delta and Gamma like what would delta be for a long call position and other qns about different positional greeks
      8. What is liquidity coverage ratio?
      9. Compare Basel 2 and Basel 3 and then some question around new capital rules.
      10. What are your strengths?
      11. Three weaknesses
      13. Some differenct situations around team work like what would you do if you feel that other member in the team is taking your credit.. etc.
      14. Example of a situation when you had to convinve a lot of people to get tour work done.
      15. Example of a situation where you had to struggle to achieve success?
      16. Why risk management?
      17. What are your short teram and long term goals?

Answer Question