Goldman Sachs Interview Questions in London, England

Updated 16 Oct 2014

3.3

146 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First round: 2 interviews at satellite office. Second round: 3 interviews at London office. First two interviews were to determine motivation and general knowledge of finance. Second round of interviews consisted of a mix of competency and technical questions. In general questions were quite broad, ie.: what do you think of the business model of Facebook? Do you think the FED will raise the interest rates in the coming years?

New Analyst - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2014.

Online application form -> Online assessments (numerical, logical) -> 1st round interview (30 minutes technical case study, 30 minutes competency) -> 2nd round interview (30 minutes x 3 competency)

The online application form was nothing unusual, same goes for the assessments. The technical case study is where it gets a bit weird. Basically, they would send you an email about the interview and how to prepare, which is by reading business-related news. I did this, ransacked whatever business-technology news sources I could find until the day of the interview.

The case study I had had no relation to business. Just web layouts and asks you to explain how you are going to display each item on the page depending on screen sizes. Tried to explain but the interviewer wanted a detailed answer, with conditions to set etc. Did not do well for this part but was okay in the competency part. The only thing was the interviewer spoke really fast and his voice went on decrescendo at times, so had a bit of trouble hearing what he said.

Other than that, they were generally friendly and nice.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs in September 2014.

Was contacted by HR (they had my details on file) and asked if I'd like to interview for an Analyst position.I believe this was part of their off-cycle intake.
    Interviews were 1:1, and back-to-back. No "surprise" or "trick" questions. Common sense dictates: know your stuff, inside out. Questions were slightly 'behavioural' in nature. All of my interviewers were very pleasant.

Spring Week Intern - Global Investment Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First Step: Online Application with GPA, CV and Motivational Statement. Frist selection after that.
    Second Step: Telephone interview with a member of the division for about 30 minutes. First task to give a quick brief about my CV then on why I applied for Goldman, next step was to analyse a fictional company, then own questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you determine next years revenue of a german lock-company?   Answer Question

Asset Management- Srats Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in April 2014.

The interview was quite generic mostly competency based incl.questions around finance, organisational skills, IT skills,interest in the company etc. Even though all the questions were answered no feedback was given of the reason of the rejection.

Junior FX Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

Please note that this was for academic year 07/08.

Recruitment for the grad programme had already ended and I think they had lost a grad on the FX desk. They were trying to fill that place post initial recruitment. Therefore this may not have been the usual process. I had no HR/competency round.

First stage:
    I had 2 one-on-one interviews and a written numerical test.
    -Interviews were with members of the desk.

Second stage:
    I had 4 one-on-one interviews, again with desk members.
    -I was rejected after these but there may have been further stages.

I'm not sure whether it was a ploy or accidental but I asked each one of my 4 interviewers for water in the second stage. They all said somebody would bring it. No one did. Pretty annoying.

In my opinion, it was the 'right' kind of process. No nonsense 'blag-able' competency questions. Well, for the most part (there was one lady that did the whole 'what 3 words would your friends use to describe you?'). Very practical process, in general. Test of knowledge, ability and mettle. At least you could sleep happy knowing that the best man/woman for the job got it.

I was mostly tested on technical knowledge of the markets. There was one very tough interview where you had to do mental arithmetic under pressure. Unlike other companies asking you how you react to pressure, this one guy put you under it and saw how you reacted. Made sense. I'm very good at mental arithmetic (and could answer them if relaxed) but struggled when bombarded with difficult questions in the interview scenario. Fair play. It told him what he needed to know.

Interview Questions
    • All the interviewers had very different questions. The mental arithmetic under pressure was the hardest part.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Applied online in November 2013. Heard back about first round interview at the end of January. First round interview consisted of firstly an interview about an Analytical Thinking Exercise we were given when we arrived and then a competency based interview. Both interviews lasted 30 minutes. Heard back a few days later about the second round interview. It consisted of 3 30 minute interviews which were a mix of technical and competency baed questions. Waiting to hear back.

Securities Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

I applied online in November 2013 - had a phone interview in mid-January 2014. After 4 weeks I was invited to London in start-March where I had 3 individual interviews. First two interviews was very relaxed, some questions regarding the markets and behavioral questions. The third interview was much more technical.

Interview Questions
    • I had to pitch a stock, which I had prepared for, but afterwards became very technical in terms of valuation questions.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

Most of the questions were about why I did want to go to Operations and why Goldman Sachs. They expected you to provide many examples on several skills. For example I was asked whether I knew the main tasks an operations analyst did and to provide an example on me resolving a technical problem.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me an experience where you had a moral conflict. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online – interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I applied in December, was called for my first interview fairly quickly. This was a one on one 30 min interview, purely fit 'talk me through your CV'. I had to wait nearly three weeks until they got back to me, I was invited to the final round which was three thirty minute interviews, a mix between fit and technical.