Goldman Sachs Interview Questions & Reviews in London, England

3.3

139 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2010.

the interview process is very intensive but good opportunity to meet people you are to work with. It also covers all aspects from different persons, e.g. why you like to join Goldman, technical skills, financial knowledge, competence question and IQ questions ...

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2010.

Interview process was a combination of fit an technical questions, to understand my motivations and assess my numerate/financial skills. Interview was over 4 rounds with people of varying levels of seniority. Overall a well structured interview process

Interview Questions
    • Name a company listed on a specific frontier market that i would like to invest in   Answer Question

Spring Week Intern - Global Investment Research Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online - interviewed at Goldman Sachs.

First Step: Online Application with GPA, CV and Motivational Statement. Frist selection after that.
    Second Step: Telephone interview with a member of the division for about 30 minutes. First task to give a quick brief about my CV then on why I applied for Goldman, next step was to analyse a fictional company, then own questions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you determine next years revenue of a german lock-company?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

Applied online in early December, got an email 3 weeks later saying 1st round interviews will be scheduled. Heard back only in late January (so don't panic if it takes ages for them to get back to you...). 1st round interviews included 2 half hour sessions with two interviewers at a time, asking mostly behavioural questions and about past experience, skills, etc. A lot of 'tell me about an experience where you've had to show leadership/creativity' etc. Heard back after a long while, 3 weeks maybe. 2nd round interviews included 2 one-on-one sessions, same sort of interview, only this time I was also asked about specific roles/divisions I'd be interested in. Final interview was a more informal group meeting with a VP and another interviewee, asking what we look forward to, what we fear the most, what role we'd be most interested in. Only heard back after emailing a follow up email, 5 weeks later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe one of your hobbies as if you are talking to a person who has never heard of it before.   Answer Question

Work Placement - Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in October 2012.

Online application
    Interview day with a case study and a couple of interviews
    Final round interview
    All travel costs are reimbursed

Interview Questions
    • Questions about the finance industry when applying for a technology role were challenging so study up on finance and make sure you have some opinions on recent news topics   Answer Question

Securities Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in March 2014.

I applied online in November 2013 - had a phone interview in mid-January 2014. After 4 weeks I was invited to London in start-March where I had 3 individual interviews. First two interviews was very relaxed, some questions regarding the markets and behavioral questions. The third interview was much more technical.

Interview Questions
    • I had to pitch a stock, which I had prepared for, but afterwards became very technical in terms of valuation questions.   Answer Question

Spring Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

interviewed at Goldman Sachs in January 2014.

I had to complete an online application and afterwards had one telephone interview (30 min). They were asking some technical questions but nothing really difficult. You should always make sure that you know your CV well and can give details about your work experience. Also be aware of the fact that they may ask you questions about every single university course you have mentioned in your CV (e.g. Accounting, Finance,...). I had the impression that the personal questions (motivation, teamwork experience, leadership experience) had a big impact on the interview's result. Make sure that you be yourself. They're not looking for experts for the spring internship. Just show your willingness to learn and meet new people.

Interview Questions
    • Did you ever have a problem when working in a team? How did you solve the problem?   Answer Question

Junior FX Trader Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

Please note that this was for academic year 07/08.

Recruitment for the grad programme had already ended and I think they had lost a grad on the FX desk. They were trying to fill that place post initial recruitment. Therefore this may not have been the usual process. I had no HR/competency round.

First stage:
    I had 2 one-on-one interviews and a written numerical test.
    -Interviews were with members of the desk.

Second stage:
    I had 4 one-on-one interviews, again with desk members.
    -I was rejected after these but there may have been further stages.

I'm not sure whether it was a ploy or accidental but I asked each one of my 4 interviewers for water in the second stage. They all said somebody would bring it. No one did. Pretty annoying.

In my opinion, it was the 'right' kind of process. No nonsense 'blag-able' competency questions. Well, for the most part (there was one lady that did the whole 'what 3 words would your friends use to describe you?'). Very practical process, in general. Test of knowledge, ability and mettle. At least you could sleep happy knowing that the best man/woman for the job got it.

I was mostly tested on technical knowledge of the markets. There was one very tough interview where you had to do mental arithmetic under pressure. Unlike other companies asking you how you react to pressure, this one guy put you under it and saw how you reacted. Made sense. I'm very good at mental arithmetic (and could answer them if relaxed) but struggled when bombarded with difficult questions in the interview scenario. Fair play. It told him what he needed to know.

Interview Questions
    • All the interviewers had very different questions. The mental arithmetic under pressure was the hardest part.   Answer Question

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2010.

For technology it's a pretty straightforward process- 300 word cover letter(and this is everything that counts), a first round interview based entirely on competency. Following this, on the same day, you will be presented with a case to assess and later present to two senior VPs. My case was to analyse how best to store reference data for a trading app. It was very straightforward-needed us staying how we'd use databases and SQL optimisation (I've studied business and computers therefore computer science was not my major, I was applying for a BA role) and discuss efficiency.

Get past this and you have one more round of three interviews- focus on one recent event that's effecting the current economy, a B&T of commercial awareness (why did the credit crunch happen, what was Goldman's role), a lot of competency and a few technical questions such as multi threading.

Interview Questions
    • What loans specifically hurt Goldman during the credit crisis   View Answer
    No negotiation, it was a graduate offer

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Goldman Sachs in February 2014.

I applied in December, have been invited to the first round interview after 5 weeks, then after 3 days, I've been invited again to a second round interview, which consisted of 3:30 interviews with senior operations representatives. The first round interview (1:30) was very relaxed, questions were based on my CV, why ops and why GS!!! the questions of The second round interview were more specific (my advise is learn your CV and what u did in details) it's very important. I finally received an offer after 3 days.

Interview Questions
    • I wrote a report within my degree about IKEA's operations so I have been asked how do you think IKEA controls its ops in order to deliver a product on time?   View Answer
    If you really want to have the position then accept it straight forward

Worked for Goldman Sachs? Contribute to the Community!