Goldman Sachs

Updated 25 Sep 2014

3.3

22 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in June 2010.

1 tel and 2 face-to-face interviews were required. Quick turnaround on interview feedback sped up the process significantly. Entire process from first receiving the job spec to offer took about 6 weeks.Interviews took 3 weeks. HR was surprisingly fast to make an offer only days after final round.

Interview Questions
  • Brain teaser questions were most difficult as they are open questions that look for the process of reaching the solution rather then the solution itself   Answer Question
There was no negotiation process as the offer matched what I was asking for. Although I had potential offers from other IBs GS would not engage in a bidding war

Other Interview Reviews for Goldman Sachs

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in May 2010.

Joined a very specialized group for an internship initially. Interviews were very much focused on my PhD thesis intertwined with the typical brain teasers of some of the junior guys of the team who did not have any more substantial things to ask. Came into the office for two different occasions, first to meet the MD on the team and then the rest of the group on a different day.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unexpected. Most difficult question was a brain teaser requiring you to apply Bayes' Law in your head, which I found quite difficult to do.   Answer Question
    Yes, I negotiated a sign up bonus once they made me an offer after my internship

Vice President Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Many rounds, long process that requires patience n preparation. Thoughtful process with interesting interview questions that aim to get to know you as an individual. Should be sincere and thoughtful in your answers and know what you want and don't want. Not for the faint hearted

Vice President Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

Multiple interviews across team members. Several days of appointments. Everyone was on time for interviews and questions were primarily seeking how I was as a leader and how my experience would be applied in current/available role.

Interview Questions
    • Did not find any question too difficult. Most questions related to skills and experience I had, and being able to tell how I'd apply them in the position for which I was interviewing.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs in July 2014.

The initial call to me was from the HR Team informing me about the series of telephonic interview that i've to appear. The interviews kept on happening, some were cancelled on ad-hoc basis and rescheduled at a very short notice. The questions asked by the interviewers were very structured and relevant to the work done by me. Nothing was asked outside my CV. However, the basic questions were repeated and made me felt as if they were following a script.

After appearing for all the interviews (around 5-6 rounds) up-to the level of MD, I was scheduled to visit their office for a final face to face discussion with the HOD. I was asked to book my tickets and thereafter the HR calls and informs me that the interview has been cancelled because one of the panel members was travelling out of India suddenly. Thereafter I never heard from them.

Interview Questions
    • For a VP position they asked me the question about standard costing which was very unexpected.   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

I was hired as an "experienced hire" and had about 15 interviews, up to the CIO at the time. It was a different time, and the emphasis on getting fresh, experienced talent was there in IT.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about the most difficult professional challenge you've had to deal with in the past 5 years   Answer Question
    My recruiter at the time did negotiate and got me a very decent base salary. I had no idea how good the cash year-end bonus would be, so my gross yearly salary ended up being easily 3x my prior job.

They did change my job title in the end though. Verbally they said I would be a Technical Analyst Level 3, but when I got the offer letter it was specified as TA02. I called and questioned it, but they said, "Oh, it doesn't matter.. it's just a title and it doesn't change the amount of money we've offered." A year later I was promoted and I was given a raise (every year for 8 years, by the way), but I don't believe the initial title change didn't impact something.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Goldman Sachs.

12 interviews over 2 month period (mainly due availability of interviewers). Emphasize being a team player who is also a self starter. Workaholic tendencies encouraged. Know the 14 business principles, history of the firm, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you a job hopper (nearly half the employees are lifers -- having more than three jobs is considered job hopping).   View Answer
    They will offer you the same base, with emphasis that you will be eligible for a bonus. Negotiate. Likelihood that all 12+ interviewers all agreed on another candidate is slim and they don't want to go through the interview process again.

Vice President Interview

Hiring at GS is a very lengthy process for laterals. This begins with a call from the recruiter who judges your communications to see if he / she can even present you to the hiring Manager. Once you pass this barrier – mostly not a correct barrier as the recruiter is ill equipped to assess a senior member, you are presented to the hiring manager. The hiring manager is still awaiting budget approvals – but will proceed with the interview any ways as he is just fishing for good talent without a position in mind. If the budget comes through – there will be 20 more rounds where everyone who is even remotely connected to your department will want to speak to you and provide an opinion.

Interview Questions
    • Interview is purly based on luck - there is no evaluation of true talent.   Answer Question

Be prepared for 10+ interviews

Interview Questions
    • In my case, nothing too difficult or unexpected. Be prepared to discuss previous experiences in an insightful manner.   Answer Question

Met with 10 people, either live, VC, or phone