Google

Getting the Interview

2,773 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Financial Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Google.

Interview Details contract position - phone interview followed by three face to face interviews back to back.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Google in March 2014.

The process had two stages, interviews, followed by project assignment. The process was comfortable. All questions are framed to your personality and your CV, focus was on programming languages and algorithms. That was the trend for both. I was unsuccessful at the interview stage, I waited for a month to hear back from them after I had finished my both technical interviews. In my case the interviewers never asked any personal questions and we moved straight to coding so I found it difficult to blend in.
The first interviewer was a bit unenthusiastic and intimidating which also threw me off a bit but the second interviewer I had was really nice and helpful in describing what we had to do properly.

Interview Question – How would you gather input from users (name, dob, address) and reprocate the same as output?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Intern Interview

London, England

Interview Details Applied online through their job portal and got contacted by a recruiter about 3 weeks later and was scheduled two technical phone interview. The first round went well but the 2nd one with a different interview was much more difficult. He asked me something about databases and I said I haven't learned that yet(i think it's reasonable considering I am only a freshmen at college) then he changed to another question about bit manipulation, which is also unfamiliar to me.

Interview Question – Count the number of bits set in an integer. What is your favorite language and what you don't like about that language.   View Answer

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details I uploaded my CV in the jobs section and I was contacted by a recruiter few days later. He scheduled a phone called after a week about general info on my CV and what I studied at university, lasted 15min. Then he scheduled the technical phone call two weeks later.

After two days the recruiter called me to say that I passed the interview and I flew to London a month later.
There I had the usual 4 interviews.
The questions were quite tough and it is difficult to say if my answer were good cause the interviewers always nod and smile which is good cause it relaxes but it doesn't give a feedback.

The recruiter called me few days later and told me that my results in programming weren't good enough.

Overall it was an amazing experience, everyone was very kind and gentle, google payed the flight and the hotel (4stars in the center of london).

Interview Question – In the phone call the engineer asked me two programming questions:

Implement a function that calculates in how many ways it is possible to climb a stair given that you can raise one step or two step at a time. (solution Fibonacci like)
Then asked me general info about fibonacci sequence and few questions in the field of algebra (modulo operations).

Second problem was to generate a random sequence of number for Lotto extraction.

Onsite i had three interviews:
3 about programming and 1 about system design (general question about detecting bot in social network, youtube and google+).
  Answer Question

London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in October 2013.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter via e-mail and subsequently via telephone.
Scheduled a telephone interview with an engineer and received ample information about preparation. Recruiter was friendly and open to questions.

First interview was via telephone and Google doc. Had to solve a relatively easy sorting problem which I implemented in Java. The interviewer was very friendly.

Second interview was the same but a different interviewer, who seemed more reserved, and a different problem which I couldn't solve as easily.

Interview Question – Dynamically build a tree from a stream of father-child tuples.   Answer Question

Release Engineer Interview

London, England

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details Phone Interview, followed by 4 1-hr long interviews (all in a row) two of which were with international interviewers over video-conferencing.
Several in-depth coding questions, some technical-ability qu's, some behavioural/experiential and some congnitive/puzzler qu's.

Interview Question – How to transfer several gigabytes of data to Mars, how to do it faster, how to keep the data synchronised.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.
They offered a lower salary than the current position, but included a sign-on bonus.

Account Strategist Interview

Account Strategist

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details The interview process was quite long, I would say about 2 months since initial contact. There are a lot of stages: 1 screen phone call with a recruiter, 1-2 calls with a manager/somebody in a similar position that you're applying for, 3-5 onsite interviews. After these rounds, the application then moves to the hiring committee. I had to prepare additional info for that and send it to my recruiter. I would say this was the most difficult stage because I wasn't exactly sure what was expected of me and how much my input is going to be waged against the interview feedback.

My screen was good. My second interview I thought didn't go very well. I kept having problems with my signal. The behavioral questions were all very specific and I couldn't think of a particular situation that could address the specific concern. For example, the manager asked me to give him three examples of when I dealt with a difficult customer but my reaction has actually revolutionized the way my company dealt with customers since then. Honestly, I didn't have any such experience, so I kind of tried to talk around it but it was obvious he wasn't having it. Overall, I thought he was tough. He was definitely testing me if I had done my homework and prepared for the behavioral questions.

To my surprise I passed to the onsite interviews. Those went amazing. I think they couldn't really have gone better. The best thing is that I felt like I had the opportunity to really express who I was and what I would bring to the company. We talked about the future of Google as a company, about my particular interests to be involved with this future, about the current products, etc. I was actually asked a lot of "big" questions in regards to my overall goals and how they coalesce with the company. I had a really great time.

After the interviews, I had a debriefing with somebody in the same role. That was really nice as I was able to ask a lot of the more personal questions about the office life, the city, and the overall experience. He didn't hesitate to tell me both the good and the bad. Overall, I felt very good about the office. The onsite interviews actually reinforced my desire to work in this role for Google.

My application passed onto the hiring committee very quickly. The only negative thing is that after this stage I wasn't exactly sure how likely it was that I got the job or not. My recruiter basically didn't answer any direct questions. Since I had to handle school as well as other job prospects, it was very difficult to not know where I really was with Google. I also didn't appreciate that I wasn't given a clear answer about when I would hear the final decision.

Interview Question – Many business case questions in my case. The analytical interview was definitely the most challenging but also the most fun. It was all about analyzing a given problem, coming up with an adequate solution quickly, and explaining why this solution works. I was asked to include specific percentages in my evaluation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I felt like the negotiations weren't as smooth as they could have been. The offer was firm and didn't mention any details which I discussed with my recruiter. They basically promised me something (regarding relocation) that was not part of the offer.

Industry Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in February 2014.

Interview Details My interview was referred by a friend who's a googler already. I was contacted by HR to set up an initial screening interview with her (last about 30 mins). The conservation with HR was quite casual - she just asked me for my background information, my availability, and informed me about what types of questions the interviewers will ask. I was then scheduled for an interview with the team lead on Google hang out (as I am currently not at the same city as the position was based). The interview lasted about 1 hour and 10 mins. Various scenario questions were asked such as the type of challenges I faced in my previous job, what was the greatest accomplishment at the previous job, how I cooperate or lead cross functional projects etc. The standard questions such as why google and why this job was also investigated. I am still waiting for the second round interview.

Interview Question – None of the technical questions (such as questions related to Google ad products) were asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I am still waiting for second round interview.

Partner Development Manager Interview

London, England

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Google in November 2013.

Interview Details Screening interview

Interview Question – I was surprised that in this case the recruiter were very focused on the specific industry and role experiences and knowledge, which I could have researched quite easily if I had had better knowledge about the role   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details *I am not english native speaker.

I applied online and get first non-technical call in a month. Then was 3 technical calls. I think I failed 2th. After each call I got feedback in a week.
After third call, I was invited to onside interview in London.
It took 2 months after last call to onside interview.
I am not from GB. I had to get a visa to come to onside interview.

There was 5 interview + dinner. Dinner was with the man that was not only from my own city and speak my native language, but he also worked in the same company as me before relocate. It was really nice surprise.

Interview Question – All questions I already saw in Internet: leetcode, careercup. 4 was about algorithms, 1 for design. No more details - NDA.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Google

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Google interview questions and advice. All 2,773 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Google employees and interview candidates.