Google

Updated 26 Nov 2014
3,421 Interview Reviews

3.5

Software Engineer Interview

Uploaded the CV, heard back from a recruiter 2 months later. Two phone interviews, one right after the another, both taking 45 minutes. The first one was more of an algorithmic test with some really detailed questions, while the second one was almost entirely about testing, both on a specific example and in general (i.e. knowing stuff like unit testing, code coverage, and specifically JUnit since the guy worked Android Wear). After the questions on testing, I was asked to design a simple algorithm to reverse a specific part of a string and code it up.

Coding was done via Google Docs, while Hangout videolinks were used for communication.
    I'm currently in the host matching phase (passed both interviews), so I don't really know whether I'm going to get an offer or not.

Interview Questions
    • Not really allowed to share -- a problem where the trie data structure was the optimal solution, as well as some tricks related to floating point overflows and underflows   Answer Question

Software Interview

2 phone interview. No technical question! just coding. I got so much disappointed, as I was expecting real questions.
    They only want to make sure that you produce the right result in the minimum amount of time. Some basic knowledge of data structures is required.

Interview Questions
    • very detailed. They expect you to write a compilable program while you are on the phone!   Answer Question

Engineering Practicum Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Google.

Sent in my resume and received a reply a few days/weeks later for an interview. There were 2 phone calls of 60 minutes each. Both began by asking some basic questions about my resume and then we went into some technical questions. We ended by them asking me if I had any questions about the company/the internship I was applying for. I was contacted a few days later saying I would not be considered further.

Software Engineer Interview

I got an interview through a referral. Shortly I got a call for the phone interview. The questions were rather easy. After that I was invited for the onsite interview.

Associate Account Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Google in November 2014.

The process started with an employee referral and an initial phone interview with the recruiter. Next stage was a phone interview with another associate account strategist, which to me occurred to be very chilled out competency related talk. The final stage comprised of rounds of interviews with a team leader, account strategist, and a manager respectively. Mostly competency based questions and simple hypothetical scenarios for situational judgement. I am waiting to hear back the outcome

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your co-worker was constantly rude to the client over the phone?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Two back to back 45 minute on campus interviews. Interviews began with some questions about resume, a programming problem lasting for most of the interview, and then some time to ask interviewers questions at the end. Following this, there was a host-matching process beginning around early November, Matched with first host and accepted.

Associate Account Strategist (Wroclaw) Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

I got called to an phone interview due to a referral of a friend who works at Google.
    It was a 30 min phone, and we speak 30% of the time in English and 70% in Spanish.

It was a very friendly and casual chat.

They asked me:
    - Why should Google hire you?
    - Why do you want to work for Google?
    - Do you have experience with Adwords?
    - List your 3 best advantages of using Adwords?
    - Explain me Adwords like I was 5 years old.
    - Tell me about a situation you had to you deal with an angry client and how did you solve it.

They told me they would get in contact with me within a week.
    (it only passed 3 days when I wrote this post)

Interview Questions
    • -What is favourite Google Product and what would you improve on it ?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Applied through their website. They contacted me the next day. Had a talk with HR and got scheduled a technical interview. They gave me a document with information on what to prepare. It's basically everything a computer scientist should know. From data structures and algorithms, to OS stuff, OOP. The question caught me off guard since most of the question I had seen had a hidden algorithm in them or something like that. This one was quite vague.

Interview Questions
    • I can't say what the question was but it was a very interesting, abstract question. Starting from a very simple idea and going deeper. I did pretty bad, my fault.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

Applied at the end of July through a recruitment agency who have connections with Google. I received an email at the end of August inviting me to a group chat where we were told what to expect in the interview. I had my interviews in mid September - there were two 45 minute technical interviews, one of which was done via video conference. They said I'd hear back in around two weeks, and I heard I was unsuccessful 16 days later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked "How would you find the longest substring of a string containing only one character?" this was then expanded to two characters, etc. The second question was "How would you reverse just the vowels in a string?" They then asked what I'd do if the string was too big to fit in memory.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

I applied online. No reply for 3 weeks. Things started moving after I contacted a sourcer asking what’s the status. It took 2 weeks to arrange the phone interview. Some materials were sent, asking me to prepare and study for the interview. Who has time for that nowadays?

I was interviewed by another product manager. The interview was rushed. It felt like the interviewer was following a script. After a brief introduction, I was bombarded by several abstract open-ended questions. For example:

* What advice would you give to the CEO of Google?
    * Pick something that annoys you about a product and describe how would you eliminate that?
    * How do you calculate how many calories are in a grocery store?

Having years of experience in product management for another globally known consumer company and having interviewed product managers myself, I tried to demonstrate critical thinking and my approach to problem solving, but apparently it was not enough. Perhaps I hesitated a little bit or didn’t describe my approach well enough. I was not sure what the interviewer was looking for, so it was hard to elaborate. It felt like he got stuck with his questions, he didn’t probe enough.

I guess I’m not the fastest thinker when being asked random abstract questions, but then again, this is not a critical factor in succeeding in almost any role. I don’t think the interviewer asked the right questions to evaluate my skills and knowledge.

Finally, he didn’t leave almost any time for questions to him. I usually allocate at least 1/4 of time for questions when I conduct interviews.

Considering the time and effort to go through the interview process and the randomness of getting through the interview, it’s no wonder they miss out on many talented people, who join startups instead.

PS. They declined my suggestion to use Google Hangout for the interview and opted for a phone call instead. I mean, we are in the 21st century already, why not have a video call using their own product?

Interview Questions
    • How many calories are in a grocery store?   View Answer