Google Interview Questions

Updated 28 Oct 2014
3,305 Interview Reviews

3.5

Associate Account Strategist (Wroclaw) Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google.

I got called to an phone interview due to a referral of a friend who works at Google.
    It was a 30 min phone, and we speak 30% of the time in English and 70% in Spanish.

It was a very friendly and casual chat.

They asked me:
    - Why should Google hire you?
    - Why do you want to work for Google?
    - Do you have experience with Adwords?
    - List your 3 best advantages of using Adwords?
    - Explain me Adwords like I was 5 years old.
    - Tell me about a situation you had to you deal with an angry client and how did you solve it.

They told me they would get in contact with me within a week.
    (it only passed 3 days when I wrote this post)

Interview Questions
    • -What is favourite Google Product and what would you improve on it ?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Applied through their website. They contacted me the next day. Had a talk with HR and got scheduled a technical interview. They gave me a document with information on what to prepare. It's basically everything a computer scientist should know. From data structures and algorithms, to OS stuff, OOP. The question caught me off guard since most of the question I had seen had a hidden algorithm in them or something like that. This one was quite vague.

Interview Questions
    • I can't say what the question was but it was a very interesting, abstract question. Starting from a very simple idea and going deeper. I did pretty bad, my fault.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Google.

Applied at the end of July through a recruitment agency who have connections with Google. I received an email at the end of August inviting me to a group chat where we were told what to expect in the interview. I had my interviews in mid September - there were two 45 minute technical interviews, one of which was done via video conference. They said I'd hear back in around two weeks, and I heard I was unsuccessful 16 days later.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked "How would you find the longest substring of a string containing only one character?" this was then expanded to two characters, etc. The second question was "How would you reverse just the vowels in a string?" They then asked what I'd do if the string was too big to fit in memory.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

I applied online. No reply for 3 weeks. Things started moving after I contacted a sourcer asking what’s the status. It took 2 weeks to arrange the phone interview. Some materials were sent, asking me to prepare and study for the interview. Who has time for that nowadays?

I was interviewed by another product manager. The interview was rushed. It felt like the interviewer was following a script. After a brief introduction, I was bombarded by several abstract open-ended questions. For example:

* What advice would you give to the CEO of Google?
    * Pick something that annoys you about a product and describe how would you eliminate that?
    * How do you calculate how many calories are in a grocery store?

Having years of experience in product management for another globally known consumer company and having interviewed product managers myself, I tried to demonstrate critical thinking and my approach to problem solving, but apparently it was not enough. Perhaps I hesitated a little bit or didn’t describe my approach well enough. I was not sure what the interviewer was looking for, so it was hard to elaborate. It felt like he got stuck with his questions, he didn’t probe enough.

I guess I’m not the fastest thinker when being asked random abstract questions, but then again, this is not a critical factor in succeeding in almost any role. I don’t think the interviewer asked the right questions to evaluate my skills and knowledge.

Finally, he didn’t leave almost any time for questions to him. I usually allocate at least 1/4 of time for questions when I conduct interviews.

Considering the time and effort to go through the interview process and the randomness of getting through the interview, it’s no wonder they miss out on many talented people, who join startups instead.

PS. They declined my suggestion to use Google Hangout for the interview and opted for a phone call instead. I mean, we are in the 21st century already, why not have a video call using their own product?

Interview Questions
    • How many calories are in a grocery store?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Google in October 2014.

The hiring process was very smooth, the interviewers were very nice, unfortunately i didn't make the cut. It was my first set of technical interviews. I was told to think out loud which i did, i think the main reason i may not have made the cut is i was both nervous and i expected them to ask me to make the hashtables etc not use the java provided ones.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions, but i didnt expect them to ask me to use the java standard library, i expected them to ask me to define my own.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Google.

Contacted through recruiter. First phone "interview" was with him, we mostly talked about my background and he asked some basic questions such as quicksort, mergesort, etc. The second one was with their engineer and was mostly technical. Now I'm waiting for their response.

Associate, Online Sales & Operations Interview

Applied through a reference, got a call phone interview 2 week later. Phone call interview is general question about individuals. 1 week later got a SKype interview with Head of department

Interview Questions
    • If you have a magic bean, which aspect would you change of Google adword?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

On-site interview at their London office. Had 3 interviews in total, 2 of them were video conferences. Each was 45 minutes. Everyone was very nice. They tried to gauge how much you know and if you don't know a particular area, they'll ask something easier. So it's hard to say how much I could have done more to land the job.

Interview Questions
    • Ask about GLM, how to deal with large number of variables, economic experiments   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Google.

It was phone first interview. They want see if you are smart. You can use paper to write down and think. .don't know what else. Nothing to add to already written

Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Google in August 2014.

Through friend's referral. Made it through first two rounds. First with Hr in India then with Hiring Manager. Very informal and relaxed atmosphere. Asked about CV and pitch sales for adword product.