Google Interview Questions & Reviews

3,119 interviews

3.5

Developer Advocate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Two phone calls, one from the hiring manager and the second one from the manager of the team that was hiring you. The hiring manager said that I was a very good fit for the sole so they wanted to move forward with an interview.

The second interview, by the manager of the team they were hiring for, was good, but not that great. The interviewer was not very friendly, but the interview was ok overall.

At the end they didn't move forward, they wanted someone who was busy 100% of their time coding. Not me for sure, despite that was my background.

Interview Questions
    • Algorithm to verify whether a number is prime or not   View Answer

Intern Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Two phone interviews, first was fine. However the second interviewer was very rude didn't take time to introduce themselves to me. Rushed into the coding problem and wasn't not interested in conducting the interview what so ever.

Interview Questions
    • Make sure you look over the links that the recruiter sends you in detail.   Answer Question

Research Scientist Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

They made initial contact via email, then face to face over Hangout. After this I was invited for a 'Quiz' which I was told would last 2 hours. It was on Stats, Math, Computer Programming and Machine Learning. It took 4 hours in total.
    A week later I was told that for the current open positions they needed someone stronger at math, so to get in touch when I felt more confident. I'm in the process of brushing up my math.

Interview Questions
    • Draw the curve log(x+10).
      What is the derivative of 1/x
        View Answer

Account Manager Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in August 2014.

Through friend's referral. Made it through first two rounds. First with Hr in India then with Hiring Manager. Very informal and relaxed atmosphere. Asked about CV and pitch sales for adword product.

Product Marketing Manager EMEA Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Great process and amazing HR but I don't think that everyone is a "Googler" at Google and that the staff is searching for "Googler". Looks like it's just a HR terminology or something that just a couple of people believe at Google.

I have some doubt about the integrity of staff based in Israel selecting people that will work in London (especially when it comes people with non mainstream ethnicity and background to be PC).

I know I failed because of my lack of SEM tactics but strangely enough the only feedback from HR is that I do not enough strategic think. The interview with the Head Optimization were only about search and extremely tactical ( how to lower your bid, how you use adwords...)

My lesson: I will start spending less media with Google !

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you selected your audience for this campaign your ran 10 year ago?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed online. The process took 5 months - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Applied in November 2013
    HR got in touch in March 2014
    First phone interview in April 2014
    Second in May 2014
    5 On-site interviews in July 2014

HR was super nice.
    One out of the 5 on-site interviewers was super unfriendly (and just came out of the shower w/ wet hair). She presented a graph problem which I considered my speciality. It had one tweak which she explained very badly. I asked her to reexplain the tweak twice. Then I was like "I understood it that way. So I'd do it this way. What do you think?". She then told me to "just implement it". I implemented it very fast. In the meantime, she read my CV. When I concluded, she looked at the code (which was probably 15-20 LoC). She then noticed that the way I handled the tweak was different to what she said. So she was like: "I told you to do it that way. What did you do there?". While I felt a little offended because if she had put a little more effort in explaining it I would have gotten it right away. Her version would have been even easier to implement.

Benefits Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

I was approached by a Google headhunter in 2013 with whom I had a telephone interview to discuss a current Benefits Specialist vacancy. The next stage was a telephone interview with a recruiter based in Ireland. The recruiter sounded bored on the phone, did not ask any questions about my experience and could not answer basic questions about Google. About a week later I received a standard email saying thank you but we do not have a vacancy that matches your skills. How they knew this I don't know and I was very unimpressed given that they contacted me in the first place.

Interview Questions
    • What would you change about a google product? (asked in a bored and unenthusiastic way)   Answer Question

Internship Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Phone interview using Google doc, they ask me to solve a numerical problem using my own programming language. I can not remember exactly but is too detailed. They gave a set of graph point and edges and ask to process.

Interview Questions
    • The question is too detail for the implementation. It is like undergrad question and need to be very well prepared instead of using solid professional experience and creative mind (mind opinion)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

A classic Google process - two phone interviews, then five 1:1 on-site interviews.

The hiring process is well documented and you know what to expect. A few personal tips :

- Think loud. Brainstorm.
    - Don't overcomplicate your solutions. It's better to have working O(N^2) than buggy O(N log N). You can describe the better solution during the discussion later.
    - If you don't see the solution, try to write down a few examples or corner cases. You can observe the solutions from these.
    - Although it's more than recommended to know a wide range of algorithms or data structures, you'll rarely use these during the actual coding. Arrays, conditions and cycles are usually enough.
    - Practice. TopCoder, CodefForces, HackerRank, Codechef... These are the tasks you should expect.
    - Be positive. You've got nothing to lose.

Account Strategist Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

I had a lot of calls from the hiring manager based out of UK. They asked a lot of information about my grades in university / college. They also wanted to know if I blog, so its best to have a blog done before you apply.
    As a lot of emphasis is put on grades, its best to position your strong academic skills before them.

Interview Questions

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!