Google

3,096 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Scientist Interview

Research Scientist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Interview Details They made initial contact via email, then face to face over Hangout. After this I was invited for a 'Quiz' which I was told would last 2 hours. It was on Stats, Math, Computer Programming and Machine Learning. It took 4 hours in total.
A week later I was told that for the current open positions they needed someone stronger at math, so to get in touch when I felt more confident. I'm in the process of brushing up my math.

Interview Question – Draw the curve log(x+10).
What is the derivative of 1/x
  View Answer

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Google in August 2014.

Interview Details Through friend's referral. Made it through first two rounds. First with Hr in India then with Hiring Manager. Very informal and relaxed atmosphere. Asked about CV and pitch sales for adword product.

Interview Question – Competitor analysis   Answer Question

Interaction Designer Interview

Interaction Designer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google in June 2014.

Interview Details I enjoyed the process, it was challenging and I learnt a few things. However, it was a long process which demanded a lot of effort from my side.

1. Initial phone interview (with someone from US). Easy.

2. Develop a project based on one of 5 briefs they provide. Use all time they give you, ask for more time if needed. They allow this. Both ux, interaction design, concept and polished visuals are expected.
Somewhat difficult, but it´s a regular design project.

3. If project is approved you are invited to an on-site interview. This is a full day interview and a presentation. 5 interviews, each one lasting an hour plus a one hour presentation you have to prepare. Very tiering and physical demanding (doing one interview after another).

Things i did not like:
Predominately male interviewing style, but all interviewers are very smart and had very good questions.

Too little feedback when not offered a role. To be seriously consider you need to invest a lot of time, project work, etc. Unfortunately, if you get rejected at final phase (3.) you don´t get a lot of feedback. Still if you have time it´s a process worth going through.

Interview Question – How would you measure design quality on a design project?   Answer Question

Product Marketing Manager EMEA Interview

Product Marketing Manager EMEA
London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details Great process and amazing HR but I don't think that everyone is a "Googler" at Google and that the staff is searching for "Googler". Looks like it's just a HR terminology or something that just a couple of people believe at Google.

I have some doubt about the integrity of staff based in Israel selecting people that will work in London (especially when it comes people with non mainstream ethnicity and background to be PC).

I know I failed because of my lack of SEM tactics but strangely enough the only feedback from HR is that I do not enough strategic think. The interview with the Head Optimization were only about search and extremely tactical ( how to lower your bid, how you use adwords...)

My lesson: I will start spending less media with Google !

Interview Question – Describe how you selected your audience for this campaign your ran 10 year ago?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
London, England

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Google in July 2014.

Interview Details Applied in November 2013
HR got in touch in March 2014
First phone interview in April 2014
Second in May 2014
5 On-site interviews in July 2014

HR was super nice.
One out of the 5 on-site interviewers was super unfriendly (and just came out of the shower w/ wet hair). She presented a graph problem which I considered my speciality. It had one tweak which she explained very badly. I asked her to reexplain the tweak twice. Then I was like "I understood it that way. So I'd do it this way. What do you think?". She then told me to "just implement it". I implemented it very fast. In the meantime, she read my CV. When I concluded, she looked at the code (which was probably 15-20 LoC). She then noticed that the way I handled the tweak was different to what she said. So she was like: "I told you to do it that way. What did you do there?". While I felt a little offended because if she had put a little more effort in explaining it I would have gotten it right away. Her version would have been even easier to implement.

Interview Question – Cannot disclose   Answer Question

Benefits Specialist Interview

Benefits Specialist
London, England

I applied through another source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Google in September 2013.

Interview Details I was approached by a Google headhunter in 2013 with whom I had a telephone interview to discuss a current Benefits Specialist vacancy. The next stage was a telephone interview with a recruiter based in Ireland. The recruiter sounded bored on the phone, did not ask any questions about my experience and could not answer basic questions about Google. About a week later I received a standard email saying thank you but we do not have a vacancy that matches your skills. How they knew this I don't know and I was very unimpressed given that they contacted me in the first place.

Interview Question – What would you change about a google product? (asked in a bored and unenthusiastic way)   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Internship

I applied online - interviewed at Google in January 2014.

Interview Details Phone interview using Google doc, they ask me to solve a numerical problem using my own programming language. I can not remember exactly but is too detailed. They gave a set of graph point and edges and ask to process.

Interview Question – The question is too detail for the implementation. It is like undergrad question and need to be very well prepared instead of using solid professional experience and creative mind (mind opinion)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Google in May 2014.

Interview Details A classic Google process - two phone interviews, then five 1:1 on-site interviews.

The hiring process is well documented and you know what to expect. A few personal tips :

- Think loud. Brainstorm.
- Don't overcomplicate your solutions. It's better to have working O(N^2) than buggy O(N log N). You can describe the better solution during the discussion later.
- If you don't see the solution, try to write down a few examples or corner cases. You can observe the solutions from these.
- Although it's more than recommended to know a wide range of algorithms or data structures, you'll rarely use these during the actual coding. Arrays, conditions and cycles are usually enough.
- Practice. TopCoder, CodefForces, HackerRank, Codechef... These are the tasks you should expect.
- Be positive. You've got nothing to lose.

Interview Question – All questions were from the expected area.   Answer Question

Account Strategist Interview

Account Strategist

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Google.

Interview Details I had a lot of calls from the hiring manager based out of UK. They asked a lot of information about my grades in university / college. They also wanted to know if I blog, so its best to have a blog done before you apply.
As a lot of emphasis is put on grades, its best to position your strong academic skills before them.

Interview Question – No tough question, never went for a F2F interview.   Answer Question

Grant Manager, Google Org Interview

Grant Manager, Google Org

Interviewed at Google

Interview Details They have a very well designed job application system, with all of their jobs listed clearly on their site with clear descriptions. As you would expect from Google, the user experience of submitting an application is very good.

Interview Question – Did not get a call back.   Answer Question

Worked for Google? Contribute to the Community!