Guitar Center

Getting the Interview

48 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Guitar Center in July 2010.

Interview Details Interview with Sales Manager and Store Manager. But this was in 2003...

Interview Question – Gear knowledge questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – was not one

Studios Associate Interview

Emeryville, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Guitar Center in January 2012.

Interview Details The interview process was not that bad. It took less than half an hour. After that, received a call to fill out paper work and take a small test about the work environment and safety issues.

Interview Question – There wasn't any.   Answer Question

Houston, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guitar Center in April 2014.

Interview Details I went to my local Guitar Center store to buy some strings and picks; my girlfriend bought a harmonica as well. Growing up in the Houston area, I was very familiar with most of the staff, and on the way out asked the girl at the exit desk about open positions available at the store. She told me the application process starts online and that job availability would be found on the company website. I filled the prescreen out that night. It was just providing basic information, followed by a short employee questionnaire/quiz consisting of questions about common sense job etiquette. Upon finishing this I waited about three to four days, then called the store to enquire about my application. The store informed me that the manager was out of town. I followed up again in person four days later, and was told the manager was in a meeting but that he would meet with me if I waited. I waited 30 minutes, then left my phone number and name. I then called three days later and asked for an interview, which I was given. The interview was with the assistant manager, as the manager was out of town again. The interview was relaxed, and very laid back. I wore a single color button down shirt and corduroy pants. I pulled my dreadlocks back, and made sure my beard had clean, straight lines. I typed up a short resume/cover letter of my personal experience in the field, and my prior schooling. The interview lasted 30 minutes or so, and was mostly spent talking in a free conversation about all things music and gear related. At the end of the interview, the assistant manager told me I was the most qualified person for the job and that I should have no problem getting the job once I meet with the store manager. He told me he'd leave a recommendation for me in the managers office. I followed up by phone after the weekend and was told to come in to meet with the manager. The final interview was a little more business minded at first but quickly boiled down into relaxed conversation. At the end of the interview the manager informed me that I had only filled out the employee prescreen and not the whole application. He immediately emailed me an application and instructed me to complete it in order for him to move on to the next step in hiring. I did so as soon as I left and was offered the position via telephone two days later.

Interview Question – All interview experiences were rather easy going and relaxed. I brought a short but detailed resume/cover letter with my personal experiences and education relative to the job. Doing this reduced the need for most questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations weren't really available. Starting pay was offered to me at a dollar over minimum wage, plus sales commission. The job has in-store perks, and as a full time employee you're offered benefits.

Sales Manager Interview

Interviewed at Guitar Center

Interview Details You cannot start as a sales manager right away. You have to start as a sales associate and work your way up to department manager, assistant manager, and then sales manager.

Interview Question – What would you do to help the store hit its goals.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Your pay is based off of how much you were able to sell in commission as a sales associate.

Information Technology Interview

Thousand Oaks, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Guitar Center in February 2013.

Interview Details This is the worst interview experience I ever had. I passed the phone screen with the hiring manager and was asked to come in and interview. I was asked to bring 15 copies of my resume and fill out an online application. I filled out the application but a few days later the staffing person said it was not there. I explained to her that I filled it out and the system tells me I already did and won’t let me do it again. She kept saying that it has to be done and I kept asking what she would like me to do as their system is telling me it is already there. She seemed paralyzed and never offered to resolve it.

I showed up on interview day to one of their corporate facilities. I brought 15 copies of my resume to interview with 4 people (one being the staffing person) who already had copies. The staffing person never took them, did a cursory sort of interview and when asked about my application status she smirked and commented that if my application is not submitted she cannot “verify my experience lines up”. Again, I asked what I can do to help and she just responded with sort of a I-know-something-you-don’t-know look. It was awful.

The common theme amongst the managers I interviewed with was around how I would motivate people who had to work every night and weekend with antiquated technology and poor compensation. While I lived only 5 minutes from the facility, one person kept warning me how bad the commute would be. The work area of cubes was kept pretty dark and the management had windowless to the outside offices along the wall. It was a dreary place.

The staffing person told me she would get back to me within a week. She never did. I called her and she said they already filled the position. Shortly after that, I saw the position for the hiring manager was also posted as open.

Interview Question – The difficult part is trying to read the staffing person. If there was something wrong, she should have been forthcoming or not brought me in for the interview.   Answer Question

Nashville, TN (US)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details I filled out the online application and submitted it to the appropriate store. I was initially told to call back in a week's time. I did so, and was again asked to call back in a week's time. During the second call, I was asked to go in for the interview (along with two other people). The interview process was a bit more relaxed than other places (the store manager had a couch in his office). He reviewed my application, and was simply asking questions based off of my answers. I got the "We'll let you know" answer. Soon after, I had decided to sell a piece of gear, and agreed to meet the buyer at Guitar Center's parking lot. After the sale, I decided one more time to get the job. I spoke with the store manager for a few minutes, after which he agreed to let me have the job.

Interview Question – I wouldn't say any of the questions I got were particularly difficult. Because this was a job I knew I could do, being an amateur audio engineer at the time, I wouldn't have had any problem selling the gear.   Answer Question

Operations Associate Interview

Operations Associate
Tigard, OR (US)

I applied online - interviewed at Guitar Center in March 2014.

Interview Details the interview was only one with a possible call back. Interview was an informal attire with informal communication. the questions were directly related to the job assignment and criteria. the interview itself was in the general area of the store not in a enclosed office or private. the call back or second interview was more pointed and directed to the direct needs of the organization relative to the ability of myself and my desires and needs.

Interview Question – There was nothing unexpected. All questions were directly related to the store retail products and sales.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details Very friendly conversational interview. Dress business casual (it's a retail job but good impressions count). Prepare for some basic informational style interview questions. There was an online personality test, a brief phone interview, and a 1:1 interview with the store mgr. All aspects of the process handled very professionally.

Interview Question – Have you ever been late, explain? Tell me about a time something didn't go your way? Have you ever had a conflict with an coworker, how did you handle that?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Simultaneously offered a salaried position at a different company.

Drum Department Manager Interview

Naperville, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Guitar Center in October 2013.

Interview Details Applied online and was called to schedule an interview a few days later. First, and only interview, went well. GM asked a few general questions about why I wanted to work there, if I understood how commission sales work and if I took rejection well, because that is a large part of the job. He quickly explained the commission procedure, and the scheduling procedure. He asked me what I was bringing to the table as a salesperson and how well I could lead a team of salespeople as manager. I had some background in management already, so I think I responded well to his questions and seems happy with my responses. I was not offered a job at that point, he just said thanks for coming in. Interview lasted approx. 15-20 mins.

Interview Question – If I were offered the position, how would I handle leading a dept where some of the team members have been there a considerable amount of time (more than me) and wanted the manager job as well.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – While interviewing at GC I was also interviewing with other employers. After considering the commission scale, work schedule and lack of suitable benefits (health/dental/vision, 401K, etc) I decided to take a job offer with better salary/benefits and a regular set schedule. 9-5, weekends/holidays off and job growth makes a huge difference when deciding on a job, I saw no real job growth at GC, it would be very difficult to make GM even in 5 years.

Sales Assocoiate Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at Guitar Center.

Interview Details really relaxed and easy. If you know music you will get the job. Also have to be able to work min 20 hours a week.

Negotiation Details – no negotiating

Interviews for Top Jobs at Guitar Center

Worked for Guitar Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Guitar Center interview questions and advice. All 48 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Guitar Center employees and interview candidates.