HCL Technologies

Updated 18 Nov 2014
Updated 18 Nov 2014

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at HCL Technologies.

On-Campus
    - Written test was taken online in morning.
    - Had 5 sections: English, Quant, Reasoning, Programming,.....
    - Result was declared same day during lunch time.
    - Followed by techno-managerial/HR round in evening.
    - Final results were declared at 10 PM.
    The interview process was over in single day but we had to wait 5 months for joining date after college.

Interview Questions
    • None in specific.
      - Basics of C/C++ and Java core.
      - Some logic based questions.
      - Rest personal/about yourself etc.
        Answer Question
    Got an offer in Feb(While in B.Tech final year) and got joining date in November.

Global Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

They visited my campus. Conducted 2 interviews inhouse. Invited me to have the final round with the director in London. Location changed to Watford the night before. Interviewed with the director. Simple competency based interview. Didn't hear from them for 2 months,inspite of repeated emails to HR. HR replies saying there will be another round in their london office. no communication after that. a month and few emails later, HR said they will not hire me for this role. No Process. No professionalish

Help Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at HCL Technologies in May 2014.

FTC - Service desk
    Two stage interview - Telephone and face to face.

Passed both interviews and was offer a job at a media company - only for it to be "postponed" three days later due to a job freeze. then received a call a week later to tell the position is now available.

Interview Questions
    • nothing difficult about the questions asked - tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

If they can mess me about before I even got the job , what chance do I have after?!

Transformation/Change Management Consultant (Graduate) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HCL Technologies.

Graduate position - Change Management Consultant. Interview process very simple, telephone interview followed by an assessment centre. Telephone interview pretty standard, just going through CV and was asked questions like why HCL, and why consulting, why this position etc.

Assessment centre was a case study given on the spot followed by an interview. The case study was based around a company who had bought an IT implementation from HCL but have not purchased any business consulting, so you have to sell Change Management as a service HCL can offer to the programme director.

This involved doing a 5-10 minute presentation and a written exercise (which was an e-mail summarising your presentation to the programme director). You have 30 minutes to prepare for both. There are 3 main areas to cover: What is change management, What services can HCL offer and how can you get good Value from implementing Change Management.

Interview Questions
    • What specific areas of change management interest you and what area would you like to go into; go into detail.   Answer Question

On campus interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HCL Technologies.

took place over 2 Interviews:

Interview 1: Telephone interview
    Quite technical, I nailed it as the questions were fairly standard.
    "How would you configure an SAN disk in vxvm?" , questions around Solaris Virtualisaiton, etc..
    When I tried to ask questions about the role, the interviewer didn't seem very ready to elaborate on answers he gave. He gave me the impression he either wasn't happy working for the firm or could have been that he wasn't accustomed to interviewing.

interview 2: face to face
    This was more of a competency interview with a technical manager. Questions were nothing taxing.
    "tell me about yourself"
    "tell me about an event where you had set a customer expectation but then could not deliver?"
    "what do you understand about ITIL?"
    During the interview the manager would occasionally take phone calls on his blackberry mobile, and on one occasion checked his email. I thought it was a bit rude.

They offered me the job a few days later.

2 days after the job offer they then called me to say that there had been a mistake on the amount specified in the salary and that the role was paying £5K less.
    I wasn't prepared to budge on the Salary reduction so they agreed to the original amount, on the basis that I would get no bonuses.

I accepted the terms.

A few days later, the recruitment manger at HCL called me and asked if I would be prepared to accept the role as 1 year contract with the option to go permanent afterwards.

I wasn't prepared to take the 1 year contract, so after a day or so he back tracked to the original offer.

A few days afterwards, the same Recruitment manager called me again asking if I would be prepared to relocate to Manchester or Leeds for the role. This was now becoming silly, every couple of days they seemed to want to change terms. I explained that I was not looking to move to the North of England as my life and commitments were in the south.

At this point I should have walked away from this.. but foolishly I carried on giving them the benefit of the doubt.*

I eventually (2 and a half weeks after the original offer had been made) received the offer letter and employment contract, which I signed and sent back upon 2 days of receipt.
    I then resigned from the job I had at the time.

The morning after I'd resigned from my job and posted the documents to HCL, I received a VM message from the HCL recruitment manager informing me that they were revoking the job offer because they had found someone else who was prepared to relocate.

This was utterly devastating! I felt completely messed about.

Luckily for me, the employer I had resigned from was prepared to give me my job back.

HCL then had the audacity to call me a week later to tell me they were looking for a different role to fit me in their organisation. I obviously told him where he could stick his job!

Beware of this company, especially if dealing with a certain Watford-based HCL Recruitment Manager. You know who you are Mr SS.

Interview Questions
    • None - it was fairly simple process. See detail above.   Answer Question
    It was diabolical. They found them highly unprofessional.
    I've had better experiences haggling with a market trader.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at HCL Technologies in June 2012.

Terrible.

First interview was a telephone interview with HCL. A certain Watford based recruitment manager, Mr SS, also made a long list of false promises.

Second interview was at the customers site - then an offer was made the same day. All of the terms we had verbally agreed were changed within being onsite for 6 months - the contract only said it's all at managers discretion, so couldn't go further forward with it.

Again - lots of false hope and promises of bonuses, sick pay and holiday that was taken away. All seems to be the same problem with the same recruiting manager.

Interview Questions
    • How have you failed to deliver a customers expectation?   Answer Question
    Terrible negotiation phase - agreed to everything I asked for, but later removed it. Contracts are generic with statutory minimums and state "Any enhancement or uplift is at managers discretion"

Software Developer Interview

Applied through campus. The selection process consisted of an online assessment test (Amcat) followed by an interview process. The test is a regular test consisting of quantitative aptitude, logical reasoning, verbal reasoning divided in different sections and test went on nearly 100 minutes. After shortlisting, interview was technical based on c++ and java. Questions like OOPS concepts and multithreading in JAVA were asked.

Late joining

Senior Management Trainee Interview

Campus Placement Process.
    3 Rounds:
    1st round - Behavioral and Interests driven. Questions like: How would you describe this room? What are the faults in the design? what would be fixes for said flaws? What kind of work interests you? etc.
    2nd round - Resume based. Walk through resume. Specific details related to points mentioned in resume including experience whilst working on projects, findings, issues and resolutions, etc.
    3rd round - HR. location preference/issues, salary negotiations, etc.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at HCL Technologies.

The first round was online test containing aptitude,english,reasoning,c/c++ questions of duration around 2 hours followed by group discussion on the topic pre-decided by the moderator which was later followed by technical interview that tests your skills on C,C++,Java etc and then the final HR interview which basically tests your management skills required for the job.