HCL Technologies

Getting the Interview

547 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Transformation/Change Management Consultant (Graduate) Interview

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HCL Technologies.

Interview Details Graduate position - Change Management Consultant. Interview process very simple, telephone interview followed by an assessment centre. Telephone interview pretty standard, just going through CV and was asked questions like why HCL, and why consulting, why this position etc.

Assessment centre was a case study given on the spot followed by an interview. The case study was based around a company who had bought an IT implementation from HCL but have not purchased any business consulting, so you have to sell Change Management as a service HCL can offer to the programme director.

This involved doing a 5-10 minute presentation and a written exercise (which was an e-mail summarising your presentation to the programme director). You have 30 minutes to prepare for both. There are 3 main areas to cover: What is change management, What services can HCL offer and how can you get good Value from implementing Change Management.

Interview Question – What specific areas of change management interest you and what area would you like to go into; go into detail.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant

Interviewed at HCL Technologies

Interview Details On campus interview

Interview Question – Mostly project related questions   Answer Question

London, England

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at HCL Technologies in June 2012.

Interview Details Terrible.

First interview was a telephone interview with HCL. A certain Watford based recruitment manager, Mr SS, also made a long list of false promises.

Second interview was at the customers site - then an offer was made the same day. All of the terms we had verbally agreed were changed within being onsite for 6 months - the contract only said it's all at managers discretion, so couldn't go further forward with it.

Again - lots of false hope and promises of bonuses, sick pay and holiday that was taken away. All seems to be the same problem with the same recruiting manager.

Interview Question – How have you failed to deliver a customers expectation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Terrible negotiation phase - agreed to everything I asked for, but later removed it. Contracts are generic with statutory minimums and state "Any enhancement or uplift is at managers discretion"

Associate Consultant
London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HCL Technologies.

Interview Details took place over 2 Interviews:

Interview 1: Telephone interview
Quite technical, I nailed it as the questions were fairly standard.
"How would you configure an SAN disk in vxvm?" , questions around Solaris Virtualisaiton, etc..
When I tried to ask questions about the role, the interviewer didn't seem very ready to elaborate on answers he gave. He gave me the impression he either wasn't happy working for the firm or could have been that he wasn't accustomed to interviewing.

interview 2: face to face
This was more of a competency interview with a technical manager. Questions were nothing taxing.
"tell me about yourself"
"tell me about an event where you had set a customer expectation but then could not deliver?"
"what do you understand about ITIL?"
During the interview the manager would occasionally take phone calls on his blackberry mobile, and on one occasion checked his email. I thought it was a bit rude.

They offered me the job a few days later.

2 days after the job offer they then called me to say that there had been a mistake on the amount specified in the salary and that the role was paying £5K less.
I wasn't prepared to budge on the Salary reduction so they agreed to the original amount, on the basis that I would get no bonuses.

I accepted the terms.

A few days later, the recruitment manger at HCL called me and asked if I would be prepared to accept the role as 1 year contract with the option to go permanent afterwards.

I wasn't prepared to take the 1 year contract, so after a day or so he back tracked to the original offer.

A few days afterwards, the same Recruitment manager called me again asking if I would be prepared to relocate to Manchester or Leeds for the role. This was now becoming silly, every couple of days they seemed to want to change terms. I explained that I was not looking to move to the North of England as my life and commitments were in the south.

At this point I should have walked away from this.. but foolishly I carried on giving them the benefit of the doubt.*

I eventually (2 and a half weeks after the original offer had been made) received the offer letter and employment contract, which I signed and sent back upon 2 days of receipt.
I then resigned from the job I had at the time.

The morning after I'd resigned from my job and posted the documents to HCL, I received a VM message from the HCL recruitment manager informing me that they were revoking the job offer because they had found someone else who was prepared to relocate.

This was utterly devastating! I felt completely messed about.

Luckily for me, the employer I had resigned from was prepared to give me my job back.

HCL then had the audacity to call me a week later to tell me they were looking for a different role to fit me in their organisation. I obviously told him where he could stick his job!

Beware of this company, especially if dealing with a certain Watford-based HCL Recruitment Manager. You know who you are Mr SS.

Interview Question – None - it was fairly simple process. See detail above.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was diabolical. They found them highly unprofessional.
I've had better experiences haggling with a market trader.

Associate Software Engineer Interview

Bangalore (India)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HCL Technologies in May 2010.

Interview Details written exam followed by a technical interview at chennai. After few weeks of waiting there was a group discussion at chennai again followed by a HR interview before getting the offer.

Interview Question – How would you justify yourself being suitable for this role?   Answer Question

Noida (India)

I applied through a staffing agency - interviewed at HCL Technologies in February 2010.

Interview Details I went for an off-campus hiring drive. Initially there was a screening exam, then GD round. Later, HR+Technical round.

Interview Question – Questions were very easy and basic.   Answer Question

Bangalore (India)

I interviewed at HCL Technologies in April 2010.

Interview Details Three rounds of interviews: Two rounds of technical followed by one round of HR. In the two rounds, they tested the basic concepts of programming includes OOPS, C, C++, Java etc. Generally, testing the willingness to learn more.

Interview Question – Mostly, situation based questions. testing team player skills and innovative, out of the box answers.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Trainee Interview

New Delhi (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at HCL Technologies in March 2014.

Interview Details THERE were 5 rounds to recruit.. 10 a grammatical test which was majorly based on parts of speech
2) A GENERAL INTERVIEW- which comprised HR like questions..a brief intro, last movie , how did you spend your last week ? favourite tv show .
3)a TECHNICAL INTERVIEW- i belong to electronics and communication so i was gauged in that .. what is a register? what is memory ? what is a flip flop?
j-k ff, draw and implement it, what are k-maps? uses ?
networking questions-what is a n/w? what os is used in your cellphone?
4) HR interview- intro , what do you know about HCL ?
whom do you prefer for your country - an innocent politician who lacks strategies or a corrupt one who makes excellent strategies any issue with the bond ?
5) AMCAT BASED ONLINE TEST - Quant /logical reasoning/verbal
go through the sample papers given on various sites

The day went propitious for me and i cleared all the grills successfully !!

Interview Question – what is the mileage of your car this was asked in technical round   View Answer

Negotiation Details – the package was 2.75 .no further negotiations

Lead Engineer Interview

Pune (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at HCL Technologies in January 2012.

Interview Details If you are coming from other cities of india then it will take long time to reimburse you travel expense.
For me it took seven months after my employment and I have to take strict follow up for the same

Interview Question – Why did you left your last company?   Answer Question

Interviewed at HCL Technologies

Interview Details Test containing sections like Quantitative aptitude, English and HR round.

Interviews for Top Jobs at HCL Technologies

Worked for HCL Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

HCL Technologies Videos

HCL Technologies – Why Work for Us?

HCL now running the #COOLESTINTERVIEWEVER. Know more and participate As a $6 billion global company, HCL is a leading global Technology and IT Enterprise, which began its journey in the USA in 1989. The HCL Enterprise… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at HCL Technologies interview questions and advice. All 547 interview reviews are posted anonymously by HCL Technologies employees and interview candidates.