HCL Technologies

Updated 13 Dec 2014
Updated 13 Dec 2014

2.9

Customer Service Advisor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at HCL Technologies.

Applied through recruiting website had a phone call for a face to face interview, had a small numeracy test which was quite basic, straight forward interview. Give me a time when you dealt with a difficult customer, what's your strengths and weaknesses? What is your goals and aspirations? What motivates you?

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you had to convince somebody in your team on what is the best decision for a project   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at HCL Technologies.

On-Campus
    - Written test was taken online in morning.
    - Had 5 sections: English, Quant, Reasoning, Programming,.....
    - Result was declared same day during lunch time.
    - Followed by techno-managerial/HR round in evening.
    - Final results were declared at 10 PM.
    The interview process was over in single day but we had to wait 5 months for joining date after college.

Interview Questions
    • None in specific.
      - Basics of C/C++ and Java core.
      - Some logic based questions.
      - Rest personal/about yourself etc.

Answer Question
    Got an offer in Feb(While in B.Tech final year) and got joining date in November.

Senior Technical Pre-Sales (Cloud) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at HCL Technologies in August 2014.

Pretended to offer higher salary to get me an interview. No face to face interview throughout process, only Skype calls. Wouldn't even go on camera but demanded I did. Offered the a job but lower salary, no negotiation, no benefits package. For a Senior Role!

I also stated right at the start that I lived 50 miles away and would need to work from home if not at client sites. They said this was fine before the first interview, then on the job offer said I must be in the office 5 days a week. Again no negotiation.

Declined the poultry offer and harassed for weeks saying they would put my salary up after a review and "maybe" a bonus. Refused to put in writing.

Overall a waste of time.

Interview Questions
    • Severe language barrier, hard to understand. Asked lots of irrelevant questions to the role. Treated me like a child.   View Answer

Whole process was an awful experience, didn't want the job after the first round due to the rudeness.

Global Engagement Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

They visited my campus. Conducted 2 interviews inhouse. Invited me to have the final round with the director in London. Location changed to Watford the night before. Interviewed with the director. Simple competency based interview. Didn't hear from them for 2 months,inspite of repeated emails to HR. HR replies saying there will be another round in their london office. no communication after that. a month and few emails later, HR said they will not hire me for this role. No Process. No professionalish

Help Desk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at HCL Technologies in May 2014.

FTC - Service desk
    Two stage interview - Telephone and face to face.

Passed both interviews and was offer a job at a media company - only for it to be "postponed" three days later due to a job freeze. then received a call a week later to tell the position is now available.

Interview Questions
    • nothing difficult about the questions asked - tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

If they can mess me about before I even got the job , what chance do I have after?!

Transformation/Change Management Consultant (Graduate) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HCL Technologies.

Graduate position - Change Management Consultant. Interview process very simple, telephone interview followed by an assessment centre. Telephone interview pretty standard, just going through CV and was asked questions like why HCL, and why consulting, why this position etc.

Assessment centre was a case study given on the spot followed by an interview. The case study was based around a company who had bought an IT implementation from HCL but have not purchased any business consulting, so you have to sell Change Management as a service HCL can offer to the programme director.

This involved doing a 5-10 minute presentation and a written exercise (which was an e-mail summarising your presentation to the programme director). You have 30 minutes to prepare for both. There are 3 main areas to cover: What is change management, What services can HCL offer and how can you get good Value from implementing Change Management.

Interview Questions
    • What specific areas of change management interest you and what area would you like to go into; go into detail.   Answer Question

On campus interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at HCL Technologies.

took place over 2 Interviews:

Interview 1: Telephone interview
    Quite technical, I nailed it as the questions were fairly standard.
    "How would you configure an SAN disk in vxvm?" , questions around Solaris Virtualisaiton, etc..
    When I tried to ask questions about the role, the interviewer didn't seem very ready to elaborate on answers he gave. He gave me the impression he either wasn't happy working for the firm or could have been that he wasn't accustomed to interviewing.

interview 2: face to face
    This was more of a competency interview with a technical manager. Questions were nothing taxing.
    "tell me about yourself"
    "tell me about an event where you had set a customer expectation but then could not deliver?"
    "what do you understand about ITIL?"
    During the interview the manager would occasionally take phone calls on his blackberry mobile, and on one occasion checked his email. I thought it was a bit rude.

They offered me the job a few days later.

2 days after the job offer they then called me to say that there had been a mistake on the amount specified in the salary and that the role was paying £5K less.
    I wasn't prepared to budge on the Salary reduction so they agreed to the original amount, on the basis that I would get no bonuses.

I accepted the terms.

A few days later, the recruitment manger at HCL called me and asked if I would be prepared to accept the role as 1 year contract with the option to go permanent afterwards.

I wasn't prepared to take the 1 year contract, so after a day or so he back tracked to the original offer.

A few days afterwards, the same Recruitment manager called me again asking if I would be prepared to relocate to Manchester or Leeds for the role. This was now becoming silly, every couple of days they seemed to want to change terms. I explained that I was not looking to move to the North of England as my life and commitments were in the south.

At this point I should have walked away from this.. but foolishly I carried on giving them the benefit of the doubt.*

I eventually (2 and a half weeks after the original offer had been made) received the offer letter and employment contract, which I signed and sent back upon 2 days of receipt.
    I then resigned from the job I had at the time.

The morning after I'd resigned from my job and posted the documents to HCL, I received a VM message from the HCL recruitment manager informing me that they were revoking the job offer because they had found someone else who was prepared to relocate.

This was utterly devastating! I felt completely messed about.

Luckily for me, the employer I had resigned from was prepared to give me my job back.

HCL then had the audacity to call me a week later to tell me they were looking for a different role to fit me in their organisation. I obviously told him where he could stick his job!

Beware of this company, especially if dealing with a certain Watford-based HCL Recruitment Manager. You know who you are Mr SS.

Interview Questions
    • None - it was fairly simple process. See detail above.   Answer Question
    It was diabolical. They found them highly unprofessional.
    I've had better experiences haggling with a market trader.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at HCL Technologies in June 2012.

Terrible.

First interview was a telephone interview with HCL. A certain Watford based recruitment manager, Mr SS, also made a long list of false promises.

Second interview was at the customers site - then an offer was made the same day. All of the terms we had verbally agreed were changed within being onsite for 6 months - the contract only said it's all at managers discretion, so couldn't go further forward with it.

Again - lots of false hope and promises of bonuses, sick pay and holiday that was taken away. All seems to be the same problem with the same recruiting manager.

Interview Questions
    • How have you failed to deliver a customers expectation?   Answer Question
    Terrible negotiation phase - agreed to everything I asked for, but later removed it. Contracts are generic with statutory minimums and state "Any enhancement or uplift is at managers discretion"

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Total 3 rounds of interview

First round we had a written test on Java/J2EE/Hibernet/Struts/Spring. I think they are placing cut off based on number of people attending the interview at my time there was around 500 people.

Second round was technical round where interviewer was concentrated on basics of all the technologies I have worked on.

Third round was formal HR discussion about packages an etc.