HSBC Holdings Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2014

2.9

First YearUK Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

After the online application, I completed the numerical test and was invited to a phone interview, which was entirely competency-based. With preparation and some research this is manageable. A credit check follows and if you pass it, you get the invitation to their AC.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you realised you had done something wrong. How did you deal with it?   View Answer

Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in August 2014.

Remotely from overseas. Phone interview with Hiring Manager, WebCam Interview with Hiring Manager and Another Tech Manager, final HR interview over phone.

Very positive experiences. All very professional until final HR interview where a role different to that which I interviewed for was discussed.

Interview Questions
    • Covered past experiences and why you would like to do work in HSBC. Some PM type work so knowledge of the different PM methodologies and when you applied them.   Answer Question

Salary on offer

Technology Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in February 2014.

The process took me 3 weeks
    Applied online
    Online Test
    Telephone Interview
    Assessment center (numerical test on the day, 2 business interview+ 1 competency interview + 1 presentation) I found it quite straightforward. Most questions are based on my CV. Do prepare something about emerging markets.

Interview Questions
    • nothing really difficult. But the preparation time for the presentation is a bit tight, make sure you do it quick   Answer Question

Associate, Global Markets Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in June 2014.

I interviewed in London (UK) and was asked:

Online Application/Candidate Questionnaire Online Numerical reasoning Aptitude tests Interviews Assessment Day (including open ended case study).

Prepare before hand if your not familiar with online assessment tests for aptitude and verbal reasoning, they are difficult. Personally i did use (the ultimate career interview) app from App Store.

Interview Questions
    • The Global Markets Director asked a variety of of questions about expected "best in class" margins for their line of business and seemed to expect detailed knowledge in this area even though this level of inside knowledge was not mentioned as a prerequisite and did not appear particularly relevant in the job description provided.   Answer Question
    Entry Level Contract.

HSBC Operational Leadership Graduate Programmer Interview

interviewed at HSBC Holdings in February 2014.

filling in the application, one numerical test followed by a phone interview and a whole-day AC. questions were very straightforward, following the competencies published on their website. not much technical knowledge required, the interviewer spent 80% of time focusing on competency-based questions e.g. name the time you had a disagreement with someone from your team, how did you resolve it and what did you learn from it, so quite predictable.AC was trickier, as it involves a written report, an exercise in role-playing, group exercise and a final one-to-one interview.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think your acquired skills will benefit HSBC?   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in January 2011.

First stage is an online application shortly followed by online testing - numerical and reasoning. Then the next stage telephone interview - mainly competency and motivation based. Finally the last stage is an assesment centre which includes a written numerical test, a group exercise, and 2 interviews - one technical/motivation interview and one competency interview.

Interview Questions
    • Discuss the causes of the financial crisis. Discuss a time you were unable to keep to a deadline. Why?   Answer Question

Financial Management Trainee Interview

I applied online - interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Online application - Online test - Phone interview - Interview in office. This seems to be not really difficult, prepare carefully and try to get more experience in study or volunteer time to get more activities that you can show to them.

Interview Questions
    • Describe yourself in some situation that you can have 3 HSBC's values?   Answer Question

Graduate Scheme Technology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at HSBC Holdings in April 2014.

Submitted application online.
    Got contacted by recruiting company about two weeks later.
    Had to submit online numerical test within 24h.
    Had a telephone interview about my interest in technology and how technology can affect HSBC work (10min) with recruiter.
    A week later, had a telephone interview with similar topics plus motivation (about 45min).

I thought I didn't pass, but they called me on friday of the same week and book me a place for the assessment centre the next monday.
    The AC is all day long, but the first test is a numerical reasoning test (on paper) and if you fail, you have to leave immediatly. Minimum score to pass is 15 out of 20.
    Sadly I failed that.

Interview Questions
    • I am good at numerical tests, but was really nervous for the AC and I failed.
      This is not the most important part, but if you fail here you are out, so PRACTICE A LOT!
        Answer Question

Customer Service Officer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

3 Online tests. Numerical(graphs/%/charts) test, comprehension test, situational judgement test. You have to wait for an email to progress to each assignment.

(3 weeks later)
    Face-Face 40mins.
    Background checks during decision-making process

(3 weeks later)
    Feedback on successfully completing interview stage
    Offer made and contract emailed

Start date 4 weeks after Contract emailed

Interview Questions
    • Elaborate on a time where you have had to make an improvement   Answer Question

Customer Service Executive Interview

Had an online test and passed, therefore offered a face to face interview. I was phoned on a Tuesday afternoon and interview time for 10am on the Wednesday. Not too concerned as I had done similar job before so had confidence to do the interview. Went in for the interview but asked to come back as interviewer was going in for a tele conference!! Not impressed but no choice had to come back after an hour. Interviewer barely shook my hand and I immediately felt uneasy! Halfway through the interview was asked questions about what my partner does, is is job permanent and why I thought there was no chance of him being either relocated or made redundant! The interviewer yawned throughout the process, this unsettled me even further. Obviously I didn't get the position, I requested feedback and was told I wasn't passionate enough about HSBC. I then asked why the interviewer had asked questions relating to my partners job situation and the reply was" I didn't ask anything that was inappropriate" I did say that they were interviewing me for prospective employee and not my partner. I got not one rejection email but 3, talk about rubbing salt into a wound.

Interview Questions
    • Questions asked about my partners job and sustainability of his position!   Answer Question

Worked for HSBC Holdings? Contribute to the Community!