Home Depot

Relevance Date Difficulty

Head Cashier Interview

Salem, MA (US)

Interviewed at Home Depot

Interview Details Applied in person, talked with manager, was sent for a drug test and stared right away.

Interview Question – All questions were relative to my work experience and straight forward.   Answer Question

Lumber Sales Associate Interview

Homewood, IL (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in May 2011.

Interview Details The application was a simple 20 minute endeavor, and the phone interview came not long after that. They asked me simple questions to verify points made on my application such as the ability to translate Spanish, my math skills, and problem solving techniques. However, it took some finagling to get the in person interview. I went into the store in person to seek out the hiring manager, and from there, she decided to schedule an interview. My interviewer was an ASM named Dan Pryor, who now is another THD location, he was very personable and easygoing, which made me feel comfortable.

Interview Question – How would you go about handling a situation in which you were to work with another associate who may have a bad attitude towards you or is very quiet?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

Niles, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in January 2014.

Interview Details Must do a 1 hour store walk thru before interview, however they barely ask during the interview. Initial interview is with the store management, then a second interview with the District Management.

Interview Question – Not all Store Managers require, but there is a role play portion of the interview.   Answer Question

Merchandise Execution Associate Interview

Clarksville, TN (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Home Depot in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied online and received an email a few days later stating I would be receiving a call soon. The call starts out as an automated message confirming you are who you say you are and are still interested. They then patch you through to an HR Rep that asks a few brief questions e.g "Why are you interested in this position?" "Tell me a time you were challenged by a job and what you did to solve the issue."

If they think you are a good fit, they will help you to schedule an interview. (I chose the first available time).

I was scheduled for 7:30 Monday morning. The HR Rep also gave me the name of my interviewer and a confirmation number (I memorized the number but did not wind up needing it). I wore khaki pants, a button up shirt, and some ADIDAS Sambas... nothing TOO dressy. When I arrived, I went to the front desk and told them I was scheduled to meet with *name withheld*.

Within a few minutes, she came out, shook my hand and we went to the back of the store in a room near the break room. She first ensured I knew the position was part-time and roughly how many hours a week I would be working. She then asked me a series of pretty basic questions e.g. "Tell me how you see time management as important in a job."

Essentially, the position I applied for requires you to be conscious of time requirements. You are given a project with a specific time expectation. Details are important, as what I will be doing is setting up displays and making sure products are orderly and visible.

The interviewer was friendly (although I know that will vary based simply on who gives your interview) and she was more than happy to work with me to explain what they are looking for and what they want.

After the interview, she told me she is happy to welcome me aboard if I am interested. She laid out what I was expected to be paid and my hours. She had me fill out standard waivers for them to perform a criminal background check, and gave me paperwork to get a drug test.

All in all, it was a very professional, yet unstressful interview.

Interview Question – Who would you say our customers are?   View Answer

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in April 2013.

Interview Details There were over five phone interviews followed by an in-person interview, drug test, finger printing, and both credit/criminal background checks.

Interview Question – This is a job for an entrepreneur. There were no unexpected questions or any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is 100% commission with no salary or hourly rate. There was no negotiation phase.

Sales Associate Interview

Chesterfield, MI (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in March 2013.

Interview Details Simple interview process. Questions regarding dealing with people, how would you react in different situations.

IT Intern Interview

Austin, TX (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Home Depot in April 2014.

Interview Details This was for one of ten IT Intern positions for the Austin Technology Center in Austin, TX. I spoke with multiple reps at the UT CNS career fair then was contact by a recruiter months later (late process) to have a phone call. Phone call was pretty much, "Why The Home Depot?" Then that lead to an onsite interview almost another month later. The onsite interview was a day long event where all the potential interns went to the ATC at 8:00am for breakfast, speakers, tours, and interviews throughout the day. Each potential was given one 30 minute one-on-one interview with managers that have projects lined up for the 12 week Summer internship. After that, they tell you that you would receive a decision phone call the following week.

Interview Question – The interview process did not have any SPECIFIC technical questions, but mainly personal questions like the following:

-Tell me about yourself.
-Tell me about a project you have done.

Then they would follow up and maybe ask questions of 'how' or 'why' for the things you said.
Ex. I spoke about a project I did for my Network Security and Privacy course where we exploited buffer overflows. The interviewer asked me to explain what they are and I proceeded to draw a picture of a simple exploit. I also brought my laptop in to show an ongoing project I was working on during the time from a class and they found it very impressive since I showed it to him and also explained my roll in the group project
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked for a verbal commitment, but stated officially you don't have to say anything until a week after this phone call. 12-week internship program, 40hrs/wk, and $20/hr. No negotiation on those terms (internship duh).

Sales Associate Interview

Santa Fe, NM (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in March 2014.

Interview Details One of the most unprofessional interviews I ever had. I arrived about ten minutes early and went to the Customer Service desk as instructed to let them know I was scheduled for an interview. I was never given the name of the interviewer so I couldn't ask for anyone in particular. The woman at the desk made a couple of phone calls but they weren't answered so she paged the person she thought would be doing the interview. This went on for twenty minutes and she paged this person eight times. She finally got hold of someone and pointed to the back of the store and told me to go to the Manager's office. I wandered around looking in several offices but not the right one. I asked a very helpful employee where I should be going and she took the time to walk me directly to the right place. The interviewer invited me in and never apologized or mentioned anything about being late. During the following interview we were interrupted three or four times by people walking in and out of the office. The interviewer seemed totally distracted and completely uninterested in the interview, and was joking around with one of the guys who interrupted. Seemed like flirting. Anyway, at the end of my interview she told me they were only looking for bi-lingual applicants, which I wasn't, and which I clearly stated during the online application process. So why did we waste all this time? If I knew they only wanted bi-lingual applicants why was I invited to interview in the first place?

Interview Question – Mostly hypothetical scenarios and how I would handle them, e.g. "What if a customer wanted help in another department while I was already helping someone in my own department".   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Home Depot Cashier Interview

Boerne, TX (US)

I applied in-person - interviewed at Home Depot in May 2010.

Interview Details They will call you and do a phone interview with a few questions. The first interview is really easy because it's basic questions and you never have to meet this person. The second interview is with a department supervisor, and the third interview is with the store manager. They aren't hard questions you just have to make conversation and don't seem nervous.

Interview Question – What's something that you lack?   Answer Question

Greeter Interview

Greenville, SC (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Home Depot in August 2013.

Interview Details Initial contact was by phone for an interview with the manager. I arrived at the store and was first interviewed by a department manager. I was asked hypothetical questions as to how I would respond in different situations with customers or co-workers. Then the manager interviewed me and I was hired right then.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was, if I was assisting a customer with their purchase and another customer was needing assistant as well and was impatient and didn't want to wait for me to finish up with the first one, how would I respond.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Home Depot

Worked for Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Home Depot Videos

Home Depot – Why Work for Us?

Our Company When it was founded in 1978 by Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank, The Home Depot began changing consumers’ perspectives about how they could care for and improve their homes. The Company created the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Depot interview questions and advice. All 1,191 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Home Depot employees and interview candidates.