Home Depot

Getting the Interview

53 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cleveland, TN (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in January 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and received a call from corporate within a week. I then had an interview with the store within the next week and was offered the job on the spot. I was interviewed by an assistant store manager. The questions were almost exactly the same as those asked by corporate. The manager was nice. Biggest PLUS right off the bat was their leniency with my school schedule. I was taking a lot of college classes and traveling with a college choir at the time, but they never gave me any issue with it (i.e., never scheduled me during classes, lenient with when I got to work if my class got out late, changed my schedule every semester to fit my classes, let me off work for weekend school-related activities, etc.). Overall a great interview!

Interview Question – The most difficult question was when they asked what skills I had that would contribute to the very beginning (greeting at the door) and the very end (check out) of a customer's experiences. This question was only difficult because I had never worked in retail before so I just came up with something on the spot. Basically, as long as you are patient and have a smile on your face, they're happy with your customer service.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't need to negotiate because I was very pleased with the offer given.

Part Time Cashier

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Home Depot in January 2010.

Interview Details Filled out an application in-store and was interviewed informally and given the job. This was many years ago

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to overcome a customer's objection.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Asked for a pay rate and got it.

Part Time Cashier

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in February 2014.

Interview Details Received phone interview 2 weeks ago and face to face interview one week ago. I am currently waiting for a response to last interview

Interview Question – What is an attribute that needs improvement?   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier

I applied in-person and interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details I went to the national hiring day job fair and I applied online for the position. I was told it would make the process faster. I was sent a reference number by e-mail to take with me. I had never attended a job fair before.
I arrived early but there were approx. 20 people in line in front of me. Shortly after I arrived about 100 people showed up. I waited in line about 30 min before I was able to speak with someone. The job fair interview was relaxed and easy I spent about five min there before I was given a second interview.

Second interview was great! all the questions were on a form and related to customer service issues(almost like a test) Halfway during the interview the hr manager broke off and called dept manager. She explained to me that she though I would be underutilized at cash and thought I would be great doing sales! The dept manager had no time to meet with me during the allotted interview time so it was left that they would get in touch in a few weeks. they asked for references.
I took it upon myself to find the dept manager to introduced myself, and he granted me a 3rd interview.
I have now spoken with the dept manager and am just waiting to here.

Interview Question – What makes a great customer service associate?   View Answer

College Place, WA (US)

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Home Depot in March 2014.

Interview Details Four days after the application process I received an email stating that someone would like to speak with me about my application. An hour after the email I received a call from an automated message concerning the application with simple prescreening questions concerning my continuing interest in the position. Afterwards it automatically directed me to a real life representative who also asked me a few questions to ensure I was still interested and prepared for the job they were looking to hiring me for. She asked me three questions, which I passed, and set up a time for an in person interview with one of the four hiring staff a couple days later. Immediately after I hung up I received another email concluding the interview and reminding me of the details of my in person interview, including how I should dress. I have yet to be interviewed in person.

Interview Questions

• What experiences and qualifications do you have for this position?   Answer Question
  • How have you gone above expectations to help a customer?   Answer Question
  • If working in the position we're hiring for, what would you do to ensure a positive customer experience?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Home Depot

Interview Details You apply online and call as a follow up. If they want to interview you, they will call and set up an interview. Prior to the in person one you will get a call from a phone agency asking about you and if you can work in the environment. The actual interview is about ten questions.

Interview Question – Apply real life experience to customer service   Answer Question

Fairfield, CA (US)

Interview Details I filled out an application online and about 3 weeks later I was sent an email about being called for a screening. I got the call and after being guided by an automated voice, I spoke to a representative that informed me about all the details concerning the job including location and pay. Once I agreed to this I was asked if it was ok if part of my interview was in Spanish (I had applied to a bilingual position) and then the details of the in-person interview were confirmed.
At the in-person interview I was interviewed first by an employee who asked me very basic questions like, "how would you deal with a difficult customer?," "how do you feel about being the last point of interaction with the customer?" After this, the manager was brought in to interview me and he asked me questions such as, "how would you deal with an unsatisfied customer? What if they were unsatisfied after spending thousands of dollars?" After this part I was told I was hired and I was taken to sign some papers and I was given instructions of where to go for a drug test. The whole process probably took about 20 minutes max.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I decided to go with some other options.

Pueblo, CO (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Home Depot.

Interview Details I applied online once. I waited for six months. They never called me back. I applied for the same cashier position again six months later. After two weeks of applying the second time, I still didn't hear from them. One day I went into the store to get a key made. I asked the gentleman who waited on me about the hiring process. He told me everything about it. Then, he introduced me to his manager. His manager told me to write down my name and the last four digits of my SSN. Two days later, HR called me. She said that the corporate office would call me for a phone interview. They called me a day later. They told me a little bit about the position such as the job would be part time and average 20 hours/week, and I would have to be available Monday through Sunday. They asked me a few questions but two behavioral questions.

Interview Question – I didn't expect them to ask me these questions. I bit the bullet and answered as best as I could.

1. Tell me a time you worked on a team project and what was the outcome?
2. Tell me a time you went above and beyond to help a customer and how would you help customers who shop at Home Depot?
  View Answer

Danbury, CT (US)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Home Depot in September 2012.

Interview Details you apply online, The HR center in Atalanta calls you. They ask you a bunch of behavior questions. If you pass you get a date to go to the store and interview with the department head.

Interview Question – what is your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – you can't negotiate with them

Bellaire, TX (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Home Depot in January 2012.

Interview Details The interview process was in steps, a call, an interview, drg and criminal background checks; if one was invited for a second interview, that person filled out hire papers at 2nd discussion.

Interview Question – The interview concentrated on customer service; there were no unexpected questions.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The job was temporary part-time and therefore paid higher.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Home Depot

Worked for Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!

Home Depot Videos

Home Depot – Why Work for Us?

Our Company When it was founded in 1978 by Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank, The Home Depot began changing consumers’ perspectives about how they could care for and improve their homes. The Company created the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Home Depot Part Time Cashier interview questions and advice. All 53 interview reviews posted anonymously by Home Depot employees and interview candidates.