Hot Topic

64 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

Interviewed at Hot Topic

Interview Details Applied online, then came into the store. The manager interviewed me on the spot. Needless to say, I was flustered.

Interview Question – What is a difficult situation that you got your way out of?   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Industry, CA (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details Schedule interview, but didn't call, I call back several times to HR finally reschedule another interview.

Key Holder Interview

Alpharetta, GA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details It was a three step hiring process. First was a phone interview with basic questions to make sure you could meet the requirements for the job, like availability. The second was an in person interview at the store. I didn't want to be cliche and wear goth style clothing with heavy makeup because that's not my personal style. I wore black Jessica Simpson Jeggings, an Eye of Providence type simple black tank, with a gold cardigan. The questions ranged from my understanding of Pop Culture to how I would handle a chaos environment. The third interview was another phone interview with the district manager because she could not make it to the store for a face-to-face. More basic questions. Overall it was a very inviting atmosphere with probably the most comfortable people to work with. If the job met my criteria I would have loved to work there.

Interview Questions

• What makes you different than the other 12 applicants I interviewed?   View Answer
  • What does Pop Culture mean to you?   View Answer
  • How do you handle an adult, like a father, who brought his daughter in to shop?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The hours were too shady and the pay didn't warrant trying to make it work.

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Aiea, HI (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2012.

Interview Details Turned in my app, got call within 2 hours. Had an interview the same day, manager was very friendly and easy going. Made me feel very comfortable, the interview was basically to get to know you better. Interests in music, movies, tv etc.

Cashier Interview

Annapolis, MD (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in October 2013.

Interview Details The interview process was professional but laid-back - dress requirements were casual, but clean. Management was genial and up-front and, while no-nonsense, not terribly demanding. Questions asked were relevant and on-point, without seeming too canned or corporate-drone. Props for being one of the most "human" interviews I've ever been through.

Interview Question – "Can you tell me about a time when..." - I always have the most difficult time with these kinds of questions.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

District Manager
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in November 2013.

Interview Details I had 3 interviews. One with a different store manager, one with the district manager and one with a regional director. They were each 30 to 40 minutes. Out of all, the store manager was the nicest. District manager and the regional manager asked me the same questions. interviews were all pretty easy and relaxed.

Interview Question – What is the most recent cd you bought?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Pay was too low. I made more as an assistant manager at a different company with less responsibilities and more room for a promotion.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Las Vegas, NV (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Hot Topic in February 2014.

Interview Details I always wanted to work there. Finally got an interview only to learn that I can only get about 10 hours a week due to the low payroll they use.

Interview Question – How do you manage under stress? And how do you rank yourself in selling?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Old navy offered me a lot more pay and more hours.

Hot Topic Sales Associate Interview

Hot Topic Sales Associate
Wesley Chapel, FL (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Hot Topic.

Interview Details I turned in an application, the store manager called me, i got interviewed a few days after.

Interview Question – I really good with interviews so there were none.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Get all you schedule changes out there. Even if they don't happen because its better they know you're going someone and you actually don't go than they thinking you're going to be there and the week before you say you cant.

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Terre Haute, IN (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in August 2013.

Interview Details The interview was fun as hell! We had so much fun talking, we talked for almost 2 hours! I got interviewed by the District Manager & the Assistant Store Manager. They asked really fun questions, such as, "What are your favorite t.v. shows?", "What were the last 5 songs you downloaded?" and "What's your favorite fashion accessory?" I had so much fun just answering the questions!

Interview Question – What's an open-ended question? Seriously. I know. I took about 5 minutes over-analyzing what they meant. I'm a big over-thinker, however.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was down to clown.

Key Holder Interview

Key Holder
Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Hot Topic in April 2013.

Interview Details My interview process was quite long. I interviewed at a bunch of different stores, they knew they wanted me but all the stores in the area needed some management so they where trying to figure out where to put me. I went through 3 or 4 interviews. I was asked a lot of normal job interview questions,along with a bunch of questions about my interest and music taste. This was one of the few interviews where I could relax and be myself.

They also take you in the store, they pick up items that customers might be interested in and ask you to suggest other things based off of what they picked up. (Example - Someone picked up a Pantera t-shirt, what other item might you suggest to go with it?) So familiarize yourself with the merchandise so you can make suggestions accordingly.

At one point the hiring manager pretended to steal some merchandise and tried to walk out of the store to see how I would react.

As far as what to wear, be yourself. I prefer to dress up a bit, so I wore some of their "Dressier" clothes. (Like button down shirts for guys, or cardigans for girls. Just make sure it's your style) However, we hired plenty of people who just showed up in jeans and band t-shirts.

The hiring process was easy compared to the interviews. First day was mostly reading and paperwork. Even though I wasn't hired as a cashier they still had me read the sales associate hand book so I could familiarize myself with company policy and how things work.

Interview Question – The most difficult question would've been "What would you do if someone you knew stole something?" This is purely because they interviewer did not want a typical response.

Another thing that caught me off guard during the second part of the interview was they asked me to greet them as if they where a customer. This was unexpected so I kind of flubbed it a little. When you show up for the interview, look at their tower or sale signs. Then say "Hello! While you're looking around all our t-shirts are buy one get on half off!" (Or whatever sale is currently going on. Make sure to be energetic, it helps to practice before the interview)
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, they're pretty set on what they offer you.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hot Topic

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hot Topic interview questions and advice. All 64 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Hot Topic employees and interview candidates.