Hyatt Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 8, 2014
164 interviews

2.4

Gallery Host Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I interviewed online - interviewed at Hyatt in July 2014.

I received a call from a HR rep a few weeks ago about an "open call" for the Hyatt for the Gallery Host position. I get to the Hotel and first off the front desk associates didn't even know there was an "open call" to begin with so that's a red flag. Staff that isn't knowledgable about what's going on is a huge No No.

I go upstairs and it's not an open call it's just me and another guy interviewing for the same position. I agree to interview first and go into a conference room where I am to be interviewed by 3 managers at the same time (the female HR Rep), an Indian manager (I'm sure he's the front desk supervisor) and another guy who sat across the table from me.

The interview went well for the first 3 minutes then turned into a slight tirade about my capabilities for working for the company and pretty much I listened to them tell me why I wouldn't be a good fit. The Indian manager was on his phone the ENTIRE interview and only looked up to ask me a stupid question that had nothing to do with the interview. Second red flag here, if you weren't interested in interviewing me and I was boring then why even show up or have me show up? The other male manager kept asking me about my college career and other career opportunities then proceeded to tell me that the interview was a waste of time since I had other career goals I wanted to meet that I received my degree in. The third red flag was the management team making it seem as though my degree wasn't substantial enough when they aren't aware what I went through to even complete college. The last red flag was that one of the managers didn't even know the difference between a Bachelors of Arts and a Bachelors of Science.

That threw me for a loop because how can you be a manager and have a degree yourself and not be aware of the two? I wouldn't recommend this place solely based on the staff and the lack of diversity.

All of the minorities (Black and Hispanic) work as room service or where no one can really see them while the White and Asians work the front desk.

I'm almost 100% sure I didn't receive the position based on my skin color due to being Black because I had perfect references and a solid work history.

Interview Questions
    • Do you feel this interview is a waste of time since you have other career goals in mind?   Answer Question

VIP Concierge Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Century City, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in Century City, CA (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Hyatt in March 2014.

Inter viewing was through several different people the hiring manager then the supervisor, then the director of rooms. They just asked about myself and my interpersonal skills and great customer service. They all pretty much liked me and what I had to offer. They were very pleasant and understanding.

Interview Questions
    • There wasnt anything difficult about the questions they all were standard interview questions   View Answer

I declined because the location of the Hyatt is in century city and I had prepared to move to long beach so it was absolutely out of the question the commute was to far.

Bartender Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hyatt in June 2014.

Will meet with HR first, then Restaurant Manager, and them F&B director. Just show you have experience in the field, that you care about making guests happy, and also make sure to smile alot.

Interview Questions
    • Easy interviews with everyone. Make sure to know sure brands of wines, spirits, liquors, and beers.   Answer Question
    There's no negotiation available. There starting rate for a bartender is $10/hour.

Front Office Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Hyatt.

I was contacted via phone 2 days after I applied for the position and was asked to come in for an interview. I met with the front office manager and he asked basic questions...what's your goal, why do you want to work for Hyatt...nothing difficult. A few min later I met with the assistant director of rooms and we just spoke casually about the property, company and my past experience.

Interview Questions
    • If I could be any shoe, what kind would I be   View Answer

Sales Administrative Assistant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Hyatt in July 2014.

I applied online and was contacted 1.5 weeks later by phone. I conducted an on-phone interview with the assistant director of sales. The interview was very relaxed but that is the tell-tale trait of hyatt interviews. Its relaxed but the questions can be serious. I was told after the phone interview to expect a call to set up an in-person interview.

I was contacted by HR a week later and scheduled the onsite interview. It was very relaxed as well but I would recommend wearing your best business attire for this interview. I was interviewed by the director of sales for the hotel. It took place outside and was very nice. The typical kinds of questions were asked pertaining to sales history and computer related tasks as well as hospitality centered questions. An emphasis was placed on being able to multitask with multiple sales managers and be able to be interrupted many times throughout the day.

I was told that I would be contacted within the week if I was going to go to the next round of interviews and I was called the next morning by the director of sales to setup the final round which was two days later.

In this interview I met with two of the four sales managers that I would be working with on a daily basis. The interview was held outside and also was very relaxed however many important questions were asked. Be mindful that the most important thing I found for ALL the interviews that were in person was that you are given ample opportunity to pose several of your own questions. Do your homework as this might be a real chance to show you care about the job.

Finally I was told that they would meet with the director to give their feedback the following Monday. I was contacted for a background check Monday afternoon and was offered the job on Friday.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions that made me think "OH NO!" Just basics like 2-5year plan, why the hyatt, and how are my technical skills with computers.   Answer Question
    There was none as this was not management, but entry level

Night Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I got a call from the hiring manager asking me to come in for an interview but he was not going to be in. I interviewed with the assistant manager who was leaving next week to a different department. They asked basic questions such as why you would think you would be the best candidate, what are your strengths and weaknesses, why Hyatt, and so on and so forth

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to work at Hyatt instead of any other hotel in the city?   View Answer
    No negotiations, pay and benefits were firm

Assistant Banquet Manager Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Hyatt.

I interviewed with a recruiter at a campus job fair before graduation. The recruiter had an informational seminar they day before the job fairs and scheduled interviews at the job fair. The recruiter likes to see that you are prepared, as you should be. Fill out the application and job test online beforehand and turn in a copy in person. Recruiters are very personable and want to get an idea about the person, not necessarily about technical skills and knowledge. Also, you are asked to give the top 3 locations you would prefer and they make you offer based on those if available.

Interview Questions
    • Examples about turning around situations with customer care, why this specific industry, etc.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate much, all trainees are brought in at a specific salary based on the area and hotel income. Benefits package is nice and there is a raise in 6 months and each year.

Gallery Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Hyatt.

Very easy interview process...phone with GM. Face to face with food and bev supervisor. Was offered the job after 24 hrs..background ck took about 2 days. Started as soon as he background ck and have been offered more hours already.

There was none

Intern Interview

typicall interview nothing extensive or any difficult questions you go through 3 interviews very easy typical questions it felt like the interview is just to see what type of personality you have and what type of person you are

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Carlsbad, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA (US)

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Hyatt in May 2011.

I walked into the HR office with my resume in hand. I had applied for a front office position and wanted to follow up. I had been rejected for several positions and had even done a phone interview for another position that I was not offered. It just so happened that there was an opening in HR and that my bilingual qualifications were highly desirable. I interviewed on the spot and was offered shortly after.

Interview Questions
    • It was honestly a blur. The whole experience was unexpected.   Answer Question
    I didn't accept on the spot. I slept on it and asked for slightly more.

Worked for Hyatt? Contribute to the Community!