IBM Interview Questions

Updated 15 Apr 2015
2,558 Interview Reviews

2.8

Gap Year Business Role Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IBM (Portsmouth, South East England, England).

Interview

An application form followed by an aptitude test (in which sequences questions are asked under a strict time limit) followed by an invitation to an assessment centre (in which 1-1 interviews, presentations, and group exercises are conducted) followed by a business interview.

Interview Questions

• Order 10 given items in order of importance to humanity   1 Answer

Tech Solution Speclaist Grad Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Online App, IPAT test, Assessment centre, interview.

Its a fairly long process, especially requiring you to travel to both AC and Interview. Do research the company, as it is key to get the role.

Interview Questions

• Solve a logical and then a business-focused problems in a team   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

Interview

There was a long application form with a full education history list, three motivation questions with reasonably long answers and a few competency based questions drawing on past experience-a chance to expand on what's on your C.V. After this there are psychometric tests in numeracy and verbal reasoning

Interview Questions

• Didn't make it to interview-the matrigma tests are pretty tough   2 Answers

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Initially a phone interview was scheduled several times. There was confusion between the UK application centre and the India recruiting team and the US organisation. Eventually when I had the face to face interview, it was very humanistic - with genuine interest in what I had to offer.

Interview Questions

• Detailed review of past experience   1 Answer

Negotiation

Still in the negotiation phase

Graduate Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

Interview

The assessment centre involved two group exercises - 1 logistic, 1 presentation. At midday, they send a number of candidates home (from a total of usually 30+), and the remaining stay on to do more exercises and interviews.
    I was one of those who was cut at lunch time. I have to say, the overall experience was interesting but I think the process is fundamentally flawed. With 3 silent HR people across the room in both exercises, examining quietly how you work in a team, it's really easy for candidates to 'play the game' and act in ways which they wouldn't naturally act. In this case, it is not a fair assessment, it is an assessment of how well someone can con you, how much and how quickly they can talk (sometimes without thinking or making obvious or unnecessary comments), and how well they can put others off - but maybe that is what IBM look for.

Strategic Analytics Consulting Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Preprepared presentation (10 minutes) followed by a short Q&A.
    Case study - you're given 50+ pages of documents and have to pick and write down the most important information.
    Personal interview - motivation, past experience etc.
    Guesstimate question - how big would an additional tax on petrol have to be to offset the losses of scrapping the disc sticker on shields program.
    Group study - follow up from the case study.

Technology Solutions Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM (Hursley, England) in March 2015.

Interview

It started with online test. After that I was invited to go to an assessment center. In the morning there were 15 candidates all from Technology because apparently they already had enough business consultants when I did the assessment centers on March 2015.

In the morning we were supposed to do 2 group discussions and if you pass, then you will have one or two interviews on the day.

Interview Questions

• In the morning, we supposed to do 2 group discussions. First was a discussion where you have to choose 1 out of 9 products and pitch the product the get an investment. The second discussion was a logic case exercise.

After the discussions, 12 candidates were sent home and only 3 people passed.

I actually had a very very bad experience in this test. Everybody tried to show off, and even though some people said you do not have to lead the group, only people who really really lead the group or dominant and speaking only for the sake of speaking, passed.

And during the assessment, after the first discussion, the HR approached 3 candidates to ask them about their preference and the role they want, and telling those people about the job descriptions and existing projects. Some of us have not even finished our 2nd discussion yet at this time. And guess what? These 3 people are the only people that passed. So they basically made the decision already and the HR was not professional at all because when they did this, I could already know that I was gonna fail and only those 3 candidates will pass. And it was true.

After everybody finished the discussions, HR mentioned 3 candidates name, asked them to go out of the room, and basically the rest of us were asked to leave just like that. I know lots of people who made a very good point during the discussion but they did not pass because they were not the one who talk the most during the discussion.

I attended a lot of assessment centers and passed most of them but this one was a complete disaster.

Answer Question

Industrial Placement Software Development UK Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

Interview

Filled in template CV (careful as they disabled autocorrect!) and received invitation to complete online test (IPAT) 2 days later. These were fairly challenging, but was told I was successful a day later. Was invited to an assessment centre in Hursley, had to arrive at 8.05am(!!) and wasn't offered reimbursement for accommodation (you must be travelling over 100 miles.) However all travel was reimbursed about a month after the assessment centre. Was also asked to prepare a 15 minute presentation. On the day, we were greeted by two current placement students who were really helpful and friendly, they were just there to make us feel comfortable, not assess. I had a business interview, group tasks, and presented my presentation and was asked questions after. I was successful and shortly had a telephone "matching interview" with a prospective new manager which was very similar to the previous interview. I was successful and about 2 weeks later I received my offer.

Interview Questions

• Asked who are IBM's competitors, which is difficult because no company has its fingers in so many pies! Generally the answer is that it depends on which industry you are talking about!   Answer Question

Finance Analyst Placement Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

Interview

Arrived at the assessment centre, had 3 activities:

Group Test (Pick from a list of controversial issues and present 3 most and why)
    Business Interview (see interview Questions)
    Group Logic Test (hire a person from a list of candidates based on differing hiring parameters)

All in all not too difficult, the most difficult part was attending as it was held at their UK headquarters, quite a distance from where I live!

Interview Questions

• Went through submission and talked about previous work experience etc.
      What is the stock price of IBM currently?
      What is the event in your life you look back on with the least pride?
      What is the event in your life you look back on with the most pride?
      Logic question - Take a cube of 3cm^3 area and cut it in 1cm^3 segments. If it was originally white and you spraypaint it black (while still together as one block but after cutting), how many blocks:

Are there in total?
      Have no sides black?
      Have one side black?
      ...
      Have four sides black?

Answer Question

Finance Interview

Interview

Competency based interview question on the online application, make sure you understand the company's core values and use the best examples of where you have put this into practise. The assesment centre is fairly routine but they do not make it to daunting, ensure you use examples from your allocation as well as any extra circulars/ jobs that you have demonstrated the core principles in.