IBM

Average Difficulty
122 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Littleton, MA (US)

I interviewed at IBM in February 2014.

Interview Details In the phone interview, I was asked to introduced myself focusing on my developing experience and skills instead of being asked questions. Then I went to the second round interview, and talked with a technician in an office. I was asked how to design a website.

Interview Question – There would be a IQ test. Get well prepared for that or you might regret!   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details Slow and tedious process . Lots of interviews. very technical in nature. I was interviewed over 7 times. each time with a different engineer or management level. Most questions were basic compared to the required knowledge level. However, the interviewers always expected the response to match their intentions

Interview Question – describe what you want to do when you grow up   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at IBM in May 2014.

Interview Details The interview process went very smoothly. I met with the HR Rep, then the Manager and the 4 other developers on the team. Each of them had there own interview style but each style complemented the other. The interview consisted of algorithm questions, white board coding questions, and personality questions.

Interview Question – basic algorithms and data structures   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details Called me for a phone interview, asking general questions regarding to projects that I had previously worked on, send me off to an on site interview with the manager that I previously talked with and a team lead. Interview questions is relatively easy, mostly regarding various software design cycles.

Interview Question – how you test GUI   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at IBM.

Interview Details Referred by an IBM director and got an phone interview by the hiring manager in a month. Hiring manager asked for a technical exercise using one of the IBM core engines as part of the technical review. Presented the results via Webniar to a panel of tech people. Didn't hear back after few weeks regarding an offer.

Interview Question – I presented my R&D works + technical exercise. The hiring manager was quite impressed by them. The hard part is the salary negotiation (went through two hiring managers due to internal reorg).   View Answers (3)

Reason for Declining – As a matter of fact, I accepted the informal offer. But when returning from a business trip, I was told by the hiring manager that the position was filled - which is the most frustrating part of the process.

Cochin (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at IBM in December 2013.

Interview Details It was a one day process, aptitude test based o number series, refer the previous year papers, after that a verbel test which was based on business mails and simple english, then hr interview with usual questions.

Interview Question – Situation based quuestions   Answer Question

Foster City, CA (US)

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details I submitted multiple applications for various software development roles. About a month later I received a call asking to set up a phone interview. It was a comprehensive interview with multiple team members, covering points on my resume, Java-knowledge questions, and soft skill questions about how I work with other people. Soon afterwards, I received my offer.

Interview Question – General Java development knowledge, resume questions, and work ethic / situational questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It never hurts to try negotiating. Every company expects developers to do so, so they won't be offended.

Galway (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Interview Details I applied in their site, had to wait one month for first contact.

First step was a Telephone interview where some technical questions were made and a review of my experience. Two days later i had the information i would have a face-to-face interview.

In the second interview i meet the Manager and the Senior Engineer for the project, the interview started with a review of my professional experience, then moved to discussion of aspects like Continuous Integration, Technical Questions. Also another aspects of my soft skills were put on test during the interview.

Interview Question – Explained one of my projects architecture, the question was how i would rewrite the project   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Negotiation, i got the offer i asked for.

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at IBM in March 2014.

Interview Details I found their job post in a Job Board (glassdoor.com) and applied to their site directly. Few days later or a week after they called me and invited me for an interview. I was not informed of the written exam.

Interview Question – There were lots of coding items in the written test for 1 hr. First part is multiple choice. About Java threading and memory management. Second part is the coding. Most items are using arraylist. I was not able to finish the exam so during the interview they asked me how did I arrived with my answers. I felt I was able to answer them well or convinced them with my answers but I was wrong to assume on that.
I made a follow up if I passed. Unfortunately, I receive the confirmation that they will not proceed further with my application.
  Answer Question

Interviewed at IBM

Interview Details Basic: phone screen, then on-site

Interview Question – Do an in-order BST walk without additional data structures and without recursion.   Answer Question

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!