IBM

Updated 26 Feb 2015
Updated 26 Feb 2015

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM.

Technical round was pretty simple. Basically a phone call interview with a website where they could see what code i was writing. The program they told me to write was pretty simple.

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

1 telephonic interview
    2 face to face interview
    3 Interview with Manager

Question are mostly from C, c pointers, device driver. The Job was for AIX device driver so they aked lots of question from device driver, interrupts, DMA

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

I got an email for the interview. it was 1-1 interview, interviewer asked for the previous projects i have done besides the academic projects, some behavioral questions about conflicts with other people, if someone doesn't contribute to the project in the group.... and at the end one technical question, how to delete a node from linked list. It was pretty easy, haven't received any offer yet.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at IBM.

They are less interested on skills and more interested on salary negotiations

Project Details

Threading concepts - Synchronization

Program on Thread communication

Exception Handling

Collections - where you used ArrayList , Map, Set in project

How to maintain user profiles in collections?

Hibernate concepts

JQuery , json , ajax are you familiar with these ?

Interview Questions

salary offered was very low

Software Engineering Interview

On Campus screening. Then there was an Interview with a hiring manager. After speaking with a hiring manager, if there was chemistry and an interest between both parties, an offer letter was sent out within the week. All interviews were technical. Two on campus interviews and one phone interview with the hiring manager

Interview Questions
    • Given a level of a tree (level k) , print all of nodes at that level.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in January 2015.

It gave me a technical phone interview first. They just asked one basic algorithm question. After that, they gave me an on-site. It took 4.5 hours and interviewed with 4 engineer and one manager. Every engineer asked me 2~4 algorithm questions. I had answered all the questions very well. However, they felt my explanation was not good since my English was not good. They still rejected me at end.

Interview Questions
    • The manager asked me what I know about the company. Also, one engineer asked about the rotation of the BST. I have done it before, but it is hard to solve this quickly since it has many case needing to consider about.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

The Hiring process for Graduate programming involves submitting CV and academic results. An online numeracy litaracy and word problem solving test is required to complete. Its followed by a face to face interview.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at IBM.

4 rounds of technical interview, follow up by managerial rounds and HR rounds.After 1 week asked for documents submission. technical interview consists of questions related to OS, Linux, shell script, C, data structure, hardware knowledge , Testing, test methodologies, programming. They will also look for better communication and convincing ability. Also they look for how much you have interest to try out for anything that comes in your way. Overall attitude and teaming skill.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in December 2014.

I applied through an employee referral for an entry level software engineer as I am a new BS graduate. I interviewed with IBM tea leaf in SFO after an initial phone interview for about 20 mins. The phone interview was very casual asking questions about your background and some OOP concepts. A week later I was invited onsite scheduled to interview with 6 people - developers, QA and director. Some of my interviewers didn't show up to work and in order to replace them some other random people interviewed me and it was a little disorganized.
     Questions were mainly about my background, resume, and projects etc. They grilled me on each and every project/work experience on my resume and asked me questions on how I did whatever I did. I was asked a few technical questions here and there but no extensive whiteboard coding.

Interview Questions
    • write pseudo code to add a node to a singly linked list   Answer Question
    • have you ever used exception handling in your projects? any OOP concepts?   Answer Question
    • how did the frontend connect with your backend in your project? How do you parse a JSON object?   Answer Question
    • What is the most efficient sorting algorithm? What is its runtime?   View Answer
    • how do you check if a number is odd or even?   View Answers (3)

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM.

Meet with about 5 managers and teams, it's a day long. They do more speaking than you have too. Be honest and tell them your interests. The managers go over what they do and sometimes they describe the entire organization. The questions they generally have are not too difficult, but you should be on top of things just in case. This didn't happen to me, but someone had to write a small circuit example for an engineering job.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations.