IBM

Updated 14 Dec 2014

2.8

136 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IBM in December 2014.

I applied through an employee referral for an entry level software engineer as I am a new BS graduate. I interviewed with IBM tea leaf in SFO after an initial phone interview for about 20 mins. The phone interview was very casual asking questions about your background and some OOP concepts. A week later I was invited onsite scheduled to interview with 6 people - developers, QA and director. Some of my interviewers didn't show up to work and in order to replace them some other random people interviewed me and it was a little disorganized.
 Questions were mainly about my background, resume, and projects etc. They grilled me on each and every project/work experience on my resume and asked me questions on how I did whatever I did. I was asked a few technical questions here and there but no extensive whiteboard coding.

Interview Questions
  • write pseudo code to add a node to a singly linked list   Answer Question
  • have you ever used exception handling in your projects? any OOP concepts?   Answer Question
  • how did the frontend connect with your backend in your project? How do you parse a JSON object?   Answer Question
  • What is the most efficient sorting algorithm? What is its runtime?   View Answer
  • how do you check if a number is odd or even?   View Answers (2)

Other Interview Reviews for IBM

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at IBM.

Meet with about 5 managers and teams, it's a day long. They do more speaking than you have too. Be honest and tell them your interests. The managers go over what they do and sometimes they describe the entire organization. The questions they generally have are not too difficult, but you should be on top of things just in case. This didn't happen to me, but someone had to write a small circuit example for an engineering job.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiations.

Hiring Process was divided into 3 steps:-
    1. first was aptitude online exam. It was based aptitude MCQ. I would say the difficulty was 6 out of 10. But, shortlisting depends on percentile not on percentage.
    2. aptitude round was followed with a English online exam. It was relatively harder than aptitude, many people were shortlisted in this round(more than I expected).
    3. Final round was the F2F interview. It was mostly based on C/C++ questions(i would say pretty easy) along with some questions from real world scenarios and what would you do if you are in such a situation. And remember to go through your projects that you have done in past(they will finish on this).

Interview Questions
    • There was a flood in Kedarnath. They asked me, "What steps would have I taken to find out the number of missing people during the flood?"   Answer Question

They were not so clear on bond and package during placement procedure. After couple of months of waiting, I got an offer letter with 1 year bond/1Lac INR and a package of 2.9Lacs/annum. Which was clearly less that what they specified.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IBM.

No Technical Questions. Mostly common scenario questions. Initially had a phone call from recruiter. Then invited for hiring event. You get to talk to more than one division. You will then be invited for on-site. Offer arrives in 3 weeks or less.

Offer came late

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IBM in October 2014.

I submitted my resume to the career fair for IBM. A few weeks later, I was contacted by a manager that they were interested in doing a phone interview. I did the phone screen and then was followed up with another technical phone interview a week later. Both went well so later on I then took the IPAT test and submitted more details on my application. I later then received an offer. I asked for an extension to decide after some interviews with other companies. For now, I will say that I "declined" the offer, but it is still on the table and who knows if I will accept it in the coming month.

Interview Questions
    • Why does the printf statement take so long to print from the Arduino in one of my projects?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at IBM.

i was contacted by hr after three weeks and few days later scheduled for a technical interview with a member of the team. Interview went well and the interviewer was nice. IBM has a communication problem.

Software Engineer Interview

Worst.No management and valid justifications.Hire in bulk and don't value cream candidates.They called as scheduled interview but it happened to be walkins Suggestion to never go for it.Went at 10 am in morning,got 1st round done at 6 pm.No management of HR operations at all.

Interview Questions
    • Asked in HR round to work for just in 10 percent hike and don't expect much later upfront.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at IBM.

The interview consisted of a phone conversation. The phone conversation was relatively lax. I was not asked any technical questions. They mostly just asked what I was interested in working on. This probably is not the norm with IBM in the states

Software Engineer Interview

You can apply through online portal or through friends referral. If you get shortlisted,HR will call you and provide you details about opportunity. Number of interview are generally depends on the team and kind of position. It sometime be done with 1 technical interview followed by HR interview or sometime it can be 2-3 technical interviews followed by HR round.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IBM.

Slow and tedious process . Lots of interviews. very technical in nature. I was interviewed over 7 times. each time with a different engineer or management level. Most questions were basic compared to the required knowledge level. However, the interviewers always expected the response to match their intentions