IKEA Interview Questions

Updated 12 Apr 2015
Updated 12 Apr 2015

2.5

Ikea Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IKEA (London, England) in October 2014.

Interview

Online assesment, got an email a few days later asking to attend an interview, I replied to email saying I couldn't go and were there any other dates? Got an email a few days later, attended group interveiw. Very laid back, do an ice breaker, ask you to pick a product and say why you chose it and then they ask for whacky ideas for the product. They then ask for best and worst customer service? It's all about your personality. If you pass this they then do individual interveiws, asking about your avaliability and general interview questions.

This was all on Thursday and I got a telephone call today Tuesday saying I got the job and to come in for training Tuesday - Thursday next week.

Interview Questions

• No difficult ones, just about how you prioritise tasks... No biggie. I just panicked on that one.   Answer Question

CO-Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at IKEA in September 2014.

Interview

Initially I applied online. The process required all the usual information [work history, education, availability] and also required a covering letter on why you were suitable for the role, who you are, and why you can to work at IKEA as well as a CV. After this, I was invited to complete an online test of about 40 multiple choice questions to allow them to find out what sort of person I was and what I prioritised in customer service.

A few days later I was contacted via telephone by the local IKEA's HR department. They talked through my CV, asked me a few basic questions, and asked if I had the right to work in the UK. The woman then suggested what departments I might be suited for. I was then invited to an assessment centre in a few days time. This was then confirmed via email and had to print and fill out a 'treasure hunt' to find out basic info about the company [departments, costs, items for sell, etc.].

At the assessment centre there were about 20 people, most were younger, but there was a variety of ages. We were informed there were 18 positions and there was another assessment group that day. We were told if successful, we would be invited to a one-on-one interview. On the tables we were already sat, we introduced ourselves to the group and picked a random question from a cup [what animal would you be / know anyone famous etc.]. The managers, about 12, then introduced themselves. We then had 30 minutes to fill out a paper on situations that might arise in the store, such as multiple tasks and health and safety issues. The back page contained a section on what you thought good customer service was, when you had received it, and when you served a difficult customer. In pre-selected groups, presumably by potential departments, we then worked in a team to build a piece of furniture and create a presentation on it's uses, additional items to sell with it, who could use it etc. Two managers observed, although they didn't seem too interested and were chatting about all sorts amongst themselves. After the presentation, we were free to go. The treasure hunt wasn't collected at any point, which was a bit of a waste of time!

About a week later I was contacted via email to say I'd be unsuccessful in reaching the interview stage. The email invited me to ask for feedback, so I did. A week later, I'm awaiting a response.

Interview Questions

• When have you served a difficult customer? How did you cope with the situation?   Answer Question

Co Worker Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at IKEA (London, England) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online on a saturday and got a reply the next day or tuesday which really surprised me so I would say CV and Covering Letter is very important(maybe luck as well). Then i got an email saying that I have a group interview on a thursday but I couldnt do that thursday so I just told them, I will not be able to do it but they were so lenient and gave me the next thursday for the group interview and this time I attended.

In this group interview, you will have a icebreaker for about an hour, honestly its really chilled but as I am quite a shy at first person as soon as the questions got to me I fumbled with my words a lot and I actually said Im quite nervous sorry. Anyway so it starts with an icebreaker lasting an hour then the scary part...

They make you choose an item and please dont hesitate to run for an item you know youll do good at & basically you get asked how would you sell the products to the customer. Then thry will go thru you one by one then they will say theres a twist, you have to partner up w/ someone and choose between you two what item can give more functions or features for a customer.

The last test is how to give a good customer service and if you received a bad customer service ever what happened with that etc. This just shows the interviewers how well your good customer service skills are and how would you handle difficult situations.

Then this is where you find out if you got a spot or not, they half the group and LUCKILY i got in the group for the people who have a 1-1 interview whereas the other group didnt pass the test or stages.

For the 1-1 interview is where its really chilled, you tell them your availiability, how long it took you to get there and why ikea( i said good customer service and money lol).

If you made it this far on my story, ill give you a tip. Be yourself, dont be too bossy and dont be too quiet, be yourself guys.

Then if you get it, you get it. As for me i got a callback in 2-3 days. Then ill shorten it up and say i got another 10 min interview saying at which department ill be working at & my pay& my hours which leads to the next wee of you getting trained to 3-4 days which at this point allows you to officially become an ikea co-worker. Good luck & hope i helped! :)

Interview Questions

• The stage 2 which is selling a product I have chosen from a box.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Be specific about how many hours you want and your shifts( morning or evening), if you have a good manager he will allow you to do the shifts youll prefer.

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at IKEA (Ashton, North West England, England).

Interview

It was a group interview. Quite a casual environment. Mainly based in group activities such as mind mapping good customer service ideas. No need to be nervous not intimidating at all

Interview Questions

• What is good customer service and how would you provide it?   Answer Question

3D-artist Interview

Interview

Since part of the IKEA sphere, first line of recruitment is made internally. Secondly comes the public hiring, which is strictly competence based (CVs, portfolios etc.).

Interview Questions

• Started out as an intern, so I never did a job interview at this location.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Short talk on salary. Nothing else.

Customer Service - Phone Center Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at IKEA (Birmingham, England) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied online Middle of Jan, Call the next day to arrange a telephone interview, Telephone interview quite easy, Why Ikea etc, Emailed the following day requesting I completed an online survey and to confirm I was to attend the assessment centre the following week for an all day assessment. The assessment was 9.45am-4pm which consisted of an introduce yourself, team exercise which involved listening to calls and discussing, then a presentation (it is important to be seen as a team player and also confident) then a 1-1 interview which was 15 questions, What does Ikea mean to you? What does Ikea mean to Customers.. Tell me about a time you influenced/persuaded someone? Tell me a mistake you have made and how you rectified it? I found it very difficult to answer under pressure. then an individual exercise involving taking a call from a fake customer with a problem, writing notes on screen of the call, It was a full on day but remember you are being assessed from the moment you enter till the moment you leave, just be relaxed, friendly, team player. confident but not bossy, and listen to everyone's input.. I was told they would make a decision within 5 days, I got a call the next day offering me a position. Hope this helps.. I prepared as much as possible for the interview..

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you met somone who disliked you? What happened and what was the end result?   Answer Question

Kitchen Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at IKEA (Birmingham, England) in March 2012.

Interview

Email inviting you to recruitment event, if you successfully pass that they will ring you for an interview, i had two interviews with 2 different people, then if successful they will ring you and ask you to come in for a 2 day induction

CO-Worker Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at IKEA (Milton Keynes, England) in February 2008.

Interview

Postal invitation to interview. Followed by short conformation telephone call. 1:1 interview 3 days later. Basic questions… why IKEA? What makes you unique? One word to describe yourself. etc

Got offered a possession but turned down.

Nice environment.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself in one word…   1 Answer

Didn't like the uniform.

Coworker Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at IKEA in January 2007.

Interview

one to one interview with the department manager.

very informal, just a chat really. Ask you why IKEA. The job position was explained. Then asked how you would respond in various situations.

If you were dealing with a customer, and had to get something from elsewhere, and was asked for assistance from another customer, what would you do?

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IKEA.

Interview

lengthy, IKEA is not quick in the process or decision making when it comes to manager level positions. They are very careful to hire the right fit for the culture, organization and the position

Negotiation

normal