IRS Interview Questions

Updated 6 Oct 2014
Updated 6 Oct 2014

2.6

Tax Compliance Officer Interview

I applied and did not receive a response for 2 months. Then I received notification via email that I made the best qualified list and I was invited to complete an online assessment. I completed an online interactive assessment and a month later I received a call for an interview. Two weeks after the interview I received notification I was hired and I would start 2 weeks after I received the call. From submitting the application to hiring it took about 4 months.

Interview Questions
    • How well do you handle pressure with competing deadlines?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation.

Contact Representative Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at IRS.

Applied the end of august. It's mid September and I just got offered position after having to complete an online assessment, tap assessment, and interview. Must pass back ground check and criminal record.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were the same Genreal questions at any interview. How would you handle conflict? What would you so if you didn't know something? Etc   Answer Question
    There is NO NEGOTIATION. Take it or leave it.

Former LMSB Legal Assistant, Which IS Now Called LB&I Finance & Managemnt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at IRS.

I went to the interview for a Paralegal position, and was told that Paralegals are only employed for a maximum of 2 years at the Chief Counsel office in New York. I was then persuaded to take the offer of a position as a Legal Assistant/Secretary for longevity. Under the supervision of a (2) horrible attitude Lead Group Assistants who constantly gave their work to the Legal Assistants/Secretaries, and then took for the credit and praise from them with the attorneys.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions because they only wanted to hire employees to catch up on the back work loads.   Answer Question
    There was NO negotiations...you either accepted the position offered, or declined. I say to any new candidates considering to work for the IRS to "think twice" before accepting an offer to work for the IRS. As a former employee, I was "black-balled" and have NOT been able to obtain employment for the past 5 years because of the lies and discrepancies that were submitted and inserted on my SF-50. That particular agency of the federal government needs to be investigated for the understaffing and the high turn over of terminated employees.

Special Agent Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at IRS.

Once application is reviewed, a test is administered. If there are openings, multiple panel interview take place. If an offer is made, choice of cities are ranked 1 - 10. If major city, will be placed, not guarantee of where you will be located

IRS Contact Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS in August 2014.

The hiring process is pretty lengthy. There are many steps that you have to go through before you are given confirmation that you actulally have the job. The job does require that you take and assessment online and also an assessment onsite. All correspondence are done by email. You will also receive phone call letting ou know to check our email.

Tax Examiner Interview

I applied online – interviewed at IRS.

Well, there is nothing exceptional about it at all. Its an interview for a government position. If you fill out all there paperwork it should be smooth sailing. Just make sure you DO finish all your paperwork. That is key.

Special Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS.

There is Centralized hiring and you submit 3 top choices, but you could be sent anywhere in the United States. You must take an examination plus a very detailed difficult interview. One on one as well as group interviews. Drug testing and Psychological testing.

No Negotiation.

Tax Examining Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I applied online – interviewed at IRS.

The process is long and cumbersome through the internet. Feedback is good. They like resume and transcripts. A background investigation is done after you are hired. Sometimes no interview or one over the phone. Best employer HR for not getting caught up in phoney interview expectations. The color of your resume, suit you are wearing or staying up the night before practicing what HR people like to hear is joyfully not an issue.

Interview Questions
    • They want very much detail that sometimes is very time consuming to look back and find. If you combine employment with company that changed it's name 3 times the background investigation will wonder why you did not list each individually. For years you are out of work they want exact dates.   View Answer
    No negotiation. They go by opm wage tables.

Mail Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covington, KY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covington, KY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at IRS.

All correspondence was online. No face to face interview. Basically seemed like you were hired in the order in which the applications were received. Strange process. HE emailed all information and met with me to fill out paperwork, did a background check, then made an offer of employment via email after I passed the background check.

Not willing to negotiate.

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowie, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowie, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at IRS.

Regardless of the job for which you're applying, write an extensive, LONG resume. One job per page - and fill each page with your responsibilities, accomplishments, how you overcame challenges, and how you contributed or improved your working environment. This isn't the private sector resume with bullet points! ELABORATE on your resume. You need to paint a picture for Human Resources so they know exactly who you are, how you managed your work day, and how you excelled or overcame challenges.

Also, follow the instructions on the job announcement. Include your employer, address, phone number, month & year of employment, full-time or part-time, and the number of hours you worked per week. Some managers conduct a phone interview first, so be prepared. Dress and professionally - whether on the phone or in person. Be calm, confident, and tell the truth. They will find out if what you say is factual.