IRS Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014
Updated Sep 11, 2014

2.7

Former LMSB Legal Assistant, Which IS Now Called LB&I Finance & Managemnt Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied online. The process took 7 months - interviewed at IRS.

I went to the interview for a Paralegal position, and was told that Paralegals are only employed for a maximum of 2 years at the Chief Counsel office in New York. I was then persuaded to take the offer of a position as a Legal Assistant/Secretary for longevity. Under the supervision of a (2) horrible attitude Lead Group Assistants who constantly gave their work to the Legal Assistants/Secretaries, and then took for the credit and praise from them with the attorneys.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions because they only wanted to hire employees to catch up on the back work loads.   Answer Question
    There was NO negotiations...you either accepted the position offered, or declined. I say to any new candidates considering to work for the IRS to "think twice" before accepting an offer to work for the IRS. As a former employee, I was "black-balled" and have NOT been able to obtain employment for the past 5 years because of the lies and discrepancies that were submitted and inserted on my SF-50. That particular agency of the federal government needs to be investigated for the understaffing and the high turn over of terminated employees.

Special Agent Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at IRS.

Once application is reviewed, a test is administered. If there are openings, multiple panel interview take place. If an offer is made, choice of cities are ranked 1 - 10. If major city, will be placed, not guarantee of where you will be located

Tax Examiner Interview

I applied online - interviewed at IRS.

Well, there is nothing exceptional about it at all. Its an interview for a government position. If you fill out all there paperwork it should be smooth sailing. Just make sure you DO finish all your paperwork. That is key.

IRS/Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Covington, KY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covington, KY (US)

I applied online - interviewed at IRS in August 2010.

Had to take a test with live human resources representatives acting as the taxpayers calling on the phone with difficult questions and you had to navigate a system that you had never used to find the answer.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember the interview process being difficult over the phone at all. I was just surprised because the hours were from 4 pm to 1 am. Guess I failed to pay attention to that part of the application process.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. You either took it or you didn't. It was great pay, so I couldn't turn it down.

Contact Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Portland, OR (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at IRS in October 2013.

Getting through to the interview was very interesting indeed. The testing process was basic and thorough. Do your research on internet and you should get through their process. The whole process takes months of waiting, and then a flurry of process, and back to waiting. Best of luck!

Interview Questions
    • The interview itself was four basic questions asking how you would deal with specific call situations. Very easy.   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Special Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS.

There is Centralized hiring and you submit 3 top choices, but you could be sent anywhere in the United States. You must take an examination plus a very detailed difficult interview. One on one as well as group interviews. Drug testing and Psychological testing.

No Negotiation.

Tax Examining Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I applied online - interviewed at IRS.

The process is long and cumbersome through the internet. Feedback is good. They like resume and transcripts. A background investigation is done after you are hired. Sometimes no interview or one over the phone. Best employer HR for not getting caught up in phoney interview expectations. The color of your resume, suit you are wearing or staying up the night before practicing what HR people like to hear is joyfully not an issue.

Interview Questions
    • They want very much detail that sometimes is very time consuming to look back and find. If you combine employment with company that changed it's name 3 times the background investigation will wonder why you did not list each individually. For years you are out of work they want exact dates.   View Answer
    No negotiation. They go by opm wage tables.

Mail Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Covington, KY (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Covington, KY (US)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at IRS.

All correspondence was online. No face to face interview. Basically seemed like you were hired in the order in which the applications were received. Strange process. HE emailed all information and met with me to fill out paperwork, did a background check, then made an offer of employment via email after I passed the background check.

Not willing to negotiate.

Revenue Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Monroe, LA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Monroe, LA (US)

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at IRS in May 2010.

Very lengthy and detailed. Do not expect this process to be less than approx 6 months from application to offer. Background check is very lengthy and detailed, as to be expected. It included interviews with neighbors, friends and family and prior roommates or people who can verify prior residences.

Interview Questions
    • Many difficult questions pertaining to situation scenarios and how to handle them.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bowie, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bowie, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at IRS.

Regardless of the job for which you're applying, write an extensive, LONG resume. One job per page - and fill each page with your responsibilities, accomplishments, how you overcame challenges, and how you contributed or improved your working environment. This isn't the private sector resume with bullet points! ELABORATE on your resume. You need to paint a picture for Human Resources so they know exactly who you are, how you managed your work day, and how you excelled or overcame challenges.

Also, follow the instructions on the job announcement. Include your employer, address, phone number, month & year of employment, full-time or part-time, and the number of hours you worked per week. Some managers conduct a phone interview first, so be prepared. Dress and professionally - whether on the phone or in person. Be calm, confident, and tell the truth. They will find out if what you say is factual.

Interview Questions

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!