Intel Corporation

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Marketing Engineer Interview

Technical Marketing Engineer
Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Intel Corporation in June 2013.

Interview Details I applied for this position on the Intel website. The online application form is fairly standard without any role-specific questions.

This was followed up by a telephone interview a month later. I was asked the following questions as a skills / background check on the kind of experience I had:

- Have you worked in a design or applications role? If so, what?
- Do you have any previous experience of working in a related industry prior to university (e.g. as a technician)?
- Do you have any experience of circuit design or simulation work? If so, what?

Based on the phone interview, I was given a callback to come for a face-to-face interview. This was at Intel's Swindon facility, which had quite a beautiful "campus" like feel to it. The first half of the interview was an hour long, and with two engineers in their Embedded Systems Group - one specialising in software / middleware, and the other specialising in hardware. They asked me to talk through my relevant experience during internships and academic projects in hardware design and testing, as well as giving a better overview of the role.

The second half of the interview was with two managers from the same group, again an hour long. This was focussed more on my generic teamwork skills, and a long discussion on what I wanted to do with my career, where I think I'd fit into the role, et al.

Overall, I found during the actual interview day experience that the interviewers were very forthcoming in answering questions honestly, and they seemed to be nice, friendly people.

However, the post-interview experience leaves a lot to be desired. I wasn't given a timeline on when they would take a decision, and when they finally did the deadline kept shifting. While my contacts at Intel were quick to respond during the interview process, post-interview they didn't seemed to care as much. Never replied to my emails asking for feedback, nor did they reply to more administrative questions that I asked about getting my travel expenses refunded. This follow-up made me rethink whether I would ever want to work for Intel in the future.

Interview Question – Intel repackages certain Core line processors with some features disabled under the Pentium brand name. Can you name which features are disabled or what the difference is for current generation "Pentium" brand processors?   Answer Question

Applications Engineer Interview

Applications Engineer
Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England

I applied online - interviewed at Intel Corporation in March 2013.

Interview Details Online application followed by an invitation to an assessment day. The assessment day begins with an initial reception where you meet all the other candidates. This is followed by a schedule brief from the Hiring manager. You will be given a personal timetable which consists of the times/rooms for each interview and activity of the assessment day. There are two interviews: one behavioural/one technical. Then a final group assessment The behavioural interview involves drawing relevant examples from your past experience to demonstrate your approach to different situations. The Technical interview is slightly more intense than the behavioural interview as the interviewers are trying to gauge exactly how much you know and how far your skills go. You will be asked to elaborate on the technical skills listed on your CV and to demonstrate them. Your group assessment will require you assert your problem solving and team working skills. For my group assessment I was blindfolded and given 4 differently shaped and coloured objects. As a group we were told that for each candidate there should be 5 of each shape in 5 different colours. And between us, 2 of the objects are missing overall. So, we had to work together to work out what the missing objects were. I was one of the people with a missing object. We got 45mins for this exercise but it doesnt take that long.

Interview Question – The technical interview was the most demanding part of the day in comparison to everything else.During the fixed part of this interview I was shown a computer motherboard and then asked to demonstrate my knowledge of its architecture by 1) Identifying all the main components 2) Identifying the function of all the main components 3) Describing the typical boot-up sequence of a Computer (CPU, BIOS etc)
The rest of the interview was a discussion directed by the technical skills laid out in my CV.
  View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Electronics Engineer Interview

Electronics Engineer
Austin, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Intel Corporation in August 2013.

Interview Details The process is straight forward with not much to add. This is just a bunch of filler text I am using because I can't think of anything that I want to add. I am just trying to finish this online signup so I can actually look for a job.

Interview Question – How was your day?   Answer Question

Dry Etch Process Engineer Interview

Dry Etch Process Engineer
Chandler, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in December 2013.

Interview Details I applied on their website and a few days later I received an email for an interview. It started off with a presentation about the company by someone from HR. There are about 40 to 50 people in the room, but split up depending on the position they're interviewing for. After the presentation, I was picked up by a pair of employees (it was a manager and one of the engineers that work for them) for an interview. The interview was composed of both behavioral and technical questions and lasted for an hour. After the hour, the interviewers left the room and another pair of interviewers came in for another interview. After this, there was a lunch between the interviewees and some of the people doing the interviews before the day was finished.

Interview Question – What was an instance where holding back on communicating was beneficial for the team?   Answer Question

Tech Lead Interview

Tech Lead
Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in December 2010.

Interview Details 6-7 Rounds of discussions starting from Engineer/Lead level to Manager, Sr. Manager, Director and HR.
Each round has a different set of questionnaire, ranging from Microprocessor Architecture like Bus Architectures, Cache hierarchy and coherency, cryptography etc.. to aptitude puzzles and attitude related discussions as well as behavioral questions.

Interview Question – few puzzles related to aptitude.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No Sal negotiation is encouraged.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in June 2014.

Interview Details Since the interview was through employee referral, the project manager arranged the interview.
There was one telephonic round in which I had to explain about my current project and some questions related to device drivers.
Subsequently, I was called for a face to face interview at Intel, Bangalore. This was a marathon with 6 interviewers coming in one after the other for a total of 6 hours. One focused on behavioural aspects and the rest were all technical. There were C questions (my preparation of having a look at the top 50 C questions in stackoverflow was quite useful). There were some questions on computer architecture and some on hardware aspects of device level communication protocols. Most interviewers based their questions around my project.
Overall, I felt that this is how any company should conduct an interview if it is has to avoid dealing with bad candidates later. A few weeks later, the HR called and asked some details about my education and employment history.

Interview Question – Was asked to explain the I2C communication protocol in detail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not have to negotiate as the offer was better than what I asked.

Component Design Engineer Interview

Component Design Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Intel Corporation.

Interview Details telephonic 1 hr . bit grilling (on cmos and digital concepts). Face 2 face was focused mostly on basics and past experience.
questioned asked was
1. DDR interface and controller design details. basic memory concepts
2. Basics of cmos logic. channel modeling. etc.
3. verification mindset check. provided with PCI related system and asked what all things to take care in validating it.

Interview Question – nothing was really unexpected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much.

Intern Interview

Intern
Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Intel Corporation in June 2012.

Interview Details 3-4 rounds of technical interview and 1 HR interview. Since it was for a position of intern, it wasn't much tough. Intel doesn't conduct aptitude tests. They check you knowledge and problem solving ability.

Interview Question – It included cloud computing, networking and security related questions. Also many questions on OS and academic projects.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Softwaregraduate Interview

Softwaregraduate
Chandler, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Intel Corporation in July 2014.

Interview Details I applied online in intel's job portal. Got a call after 3 days asking for a time to schedule a phone interview. The recruiter said three of them would join me in a one hour technical interview. One manager and two other colleagues joined the interview. No puzzles or hard questions were asked. Some behavioral questions and mostly technical questions related to position and deep about projects in resume. If you know the basics, you are more than good.

Interview Question – 1. Android life cycle.
2. "virtual" in c++
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The package is great. no need to negotiate.

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Physical Design Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Intel Corporation in July 2014.

Interview Details Sent resume directly to the hiring manager. Had a phone screening interview which had basic questions on STA, APR, etc. Onsite had 5 rounds, which was pretty challenging. One round I messed up bad and didnt not get the offer.

Interview Question – Most questions were based on STA, timing and some based on PERL.   Answer Question

Worked for Intel Corporation? Contribute to the Community!