International Paper

Relevance Date Difficulty

Supply Chain Associate Interview

Supply Chain Associate
Memphis, TN (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at International Paper in November 2012.

Interview Details I went to a career fair where International Paper was present. I did an interview on campus which was very fast paced. I then was asked to fly to Memphis for a more in depth interview. They call this the blitz, they do it every year. They fly so many students down and have a social meeting, interviews (most likely 6), and then a night out in Memphis with current employees. The interviews were pretty easy, normal questions about tell me a time when, but mostly just them getting to know you. This was by far my favorite of about 100 interviews I did. Very relaxed environment for such a large company. I participated in the blitz this year as a current employee and really enjoyed it.

Interview Question – Nothing was really difficult, they do not try to stump you in the interview process from my experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They have a position level system, based on what number you are there is only a range you can make. Everything is pretty standard and there is not a lot of room for negotiation.

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer
Oxnard, CA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at International Paper in May 2014.

Interview Details I met the HR manager at a Career Fair at my university. I chatted with her for a bit and left a resume. About two weeks later I received a call from her to schedule an interview. The first interview involved a tour of the paper mill (1 hour) followed by a panel interview with the HR manager, the lead process engineer, and the engineering manager. The questions were very standard and the interviewers were very nice. I got a call back for a second visit, which involved 3 1:1 interviews with various mangers of the company and more detailed plant tours (2.5 hours). Overall very positive interview experience. Note: do not arrive to interviews in your nicest clothes. You will be given steel toe shoe add-ons and your shoes (and person) may get wet.

Company culture: about 100 employees, mostly men. Most employees are aged 40+.

Interview Question – What is Henry's Law? (Technical question)
What do you think your role of process engineer will be? (Make sure to read job description carefully)
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Although the paper industry is very stable and I would have received a solid pay, I was not interested in process engineering (or rather controls).

Packer Interview

Packer
Lexington, SC (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at International Paper.

Interview Details Applied through employee referral, I was called a week later to take a test, getting the interview was completely based on passing the test. The next day I was interviewed by a panel that asked questions based on safety and prior job experience.

Interview Question – Name a time you had to ignore a safety rule to get a job done faster.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – No negotation

Process Engineer Interview

Process Engineer

Interviewed at International Paper

Interview Details Talked to a representative at my university career fair. The conversation went well and the representative seemed to be interested/impressed. About a week later I received an email asking for a phone interview. The phone interview must also went well as I was asked to attend an on-site interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you needed to make a difficult decision.   View Answer

Engineer Interview

Engineer
Raleigh, NC (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at International Paper in November 2013.

Interview Details I learned about International Paper at my college career fair. Within a couple of minutes of talking to the people around the career booth, I was taken to a different room and had an interview with the main guy. It was fairly straight forward with the questions being purely behavioral. Over good experience.

Interview Question – Why would we hire you over other candidates.   View Answer

Supply Planner Interview

Supply Planner
Memphis, TN (US)

I interviewed at International Paper in November 2013.

Interview Details They will give you a first round interview in your school and if you are good enough they will invite you to on-site interview. It will be about 4 rounds and they take a whole day long. After a week of your interview they will inform you either by phone or email if you get it.

Interview Question – Talk about one situation and you know you can't solve the problem and what did you do/   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't really negotiate.

Auditor Interview

Auditor
Memphis, TN (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at International Paper in October 2011.

Interview Details I went through the Company's interview process for upcoming college graduates. I attended the interview dinner the night before and 3 interviews the next day. All of the questions asked were primarily behavioral and about the Company. I found the process to be great overall. I ended up getting an offer from International Paper but had already accepted another one.

Interview Question – Was asked specific questions about the Company.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had already accepted another offer by the time I received the one from IP.

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Shelbyville, IL (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at International Paper.

Interview Details A recruiter contacted me and I was going to interview, but then was told the position had been filled. I was later contacted by a different recruiter with the same job specifications. I was then asked if I would be willing to relocate. The recruiter asked questions about dealing with personnel and when I would be available to start. I also had to give three references for him to contact.

The recruiter then passed my info on to the HR manager and set up a 30 to 45 min phone interview for me.

At the end of the phone interview I was told by the HR manager that he would like me to come to the plant the following week.

The interview process was very quick. The managers interviewed me multiple times and I found it very redundant.The Plant Manager asked for a lot of specific details regarding my resume.

I had to go back on the next week for a final interview. The managers I had already interviewed with the previous visit interviewed me again in a panel interview. They asked the same type of questions.

Once this was completed, I had to take a personality assessment. This was about 100 questions. I was given the drug testing at that time and then sent the final offer over email.

Interview Question – It was a lot of the same questions over and over again. You had to know what you were talking about obviously. The plant manager asked for a lot of details on the specifics of my resume. If interviewed by the plant manager, be ready to talk specifics with him.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They made a good offer, so I did not counter. However, in retrospect I should have negotiated more vacation time due the nature of the shift work.

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Memphis, TN (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at International Paper in January 2010.

Interview Details Internal promotion. Applied via job applicant software. Hiring manager was known to me. My manager contacted hiring manger and encouraged hiring manger to talk with me. I was one of three candidates.

Interview Question – What is the most creative thing you've ever done (in this business or elsewhere)?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Slight raise. Since this was internal there wasn't much to negotiate.

Transportation Planner Interview

Transportation Planner
Memphis, TN (US)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at International Paper in October 2013.

Interview Details Applied online through career services. Had an on-campus interview with a senior manager. I was then invited to the 2-day blitz event. The first day included: an introduction of senior managers, an IP-campus tour, and hotel mixer. "You could tell at the mixer by the managers approaching you where you would end up if picked!" The second day was a mix of two interviews (panel-style) and a 'survival activity' with a group of other students. In the activity, they just wanted to see how you work in a group. The day concluded with a talk from the HR manager. He informed us that we would hear something either way in two-week.

That was true for some. However, I was contacted an entire month later by email with a denial. You would think that after waiting a month they would at least call seeing that many of those that interviewed with you were offered jobs. Meaning, I was one of a very small few that wasn't offered. I'm ok with that though. Not bitter....but I walked around nearly two days with a misspelled name tag. A call would have been nice!

Interview Question – This was an entry level position but they asked a lot of questions about:
Technical skills, SAP, Route Cause...and etc.
  Answer Question

Worked for International Paper? Contribute to the Community!