J. Crew Interview Questions

Updated 21 Apr 2015

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

I was interviewed by two managers and it was very relaxing. They asked me to talk about myself and tried to get to know me a bit better. Then moved onto asking about the brand and my previous experience etc. It is not a hard interview at all unless you don't know anything about the brand.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected or challenging. I had a question where they asked me what may be the biggest challenges in this role and how can you overcome this. This was slightly unexpected, I've never had this question in my previous retail interviews. But overall it is not a difficult question. Just be yourself and show interests in the company!   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Got hired on the spot at a Job Fair. Submitted my application then the manager asked me a few questions, "why do you want to work here?", "what do you do during your free time?", "do you have customer service experience?". Easy questions, took 8 minutes, then finally told me I got the job. Signed paperwork afterwards.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

It was a group interview, lots of people. You really had to make sure you stood out from the group. Made weeding out less friendly, quiet people easy. A little weird only because the interview was around other customers.

Merchandise Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arden, NC (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew (Arden, NC (US)) in April 2015.

Interview

Called for a phone screen from a recruiter, asked a few interview questions and general eligibility inquiries. Was scheduled for an interview with the manager of the department, took a tour of the warehouse, came back and was given an offer and further directions to accept the offer. The supervisor was very idealistic, thorough, and professional. If you're FT, you get 5wks PTO after 90 days, as well as a 401k that the company matches every penny that is put in, health insurance, etc. So I'm happy with that as an out of state college student... thrilled to be able to freely take time off during spring break without jeopardizing my job, even though the pay is only $10

Interview Questions

• 1.What was one time when you experienced a big change at work?   Answer Question
    • 2.What is one weakness that your previous supervisor has alerted you to?   Answer Question
    • 3.What is a challenge you have when working in a team?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you worked in a fast paced environment.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Applied for new store open through job posting online. Had in-person interview 2 weeks after applying with their Store Director. Interview lasted about 30 minutes and was, he claims rarely, offered a position when the interview concluded.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in retail? When have you exhibited exemplary customer service? What is the best customer service experience you've ever had? What was the worse?   Answer Question

Associate Manager Interview

Interview

The process began with a phone interview from HR Corporate, followed by 2 separate interviews, one with the new store director and one with the store director at a different location. Did not interview with the District Manager, which I expected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Interview was more conversational than the standard interview questions   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Manager went over my resume and asked about my past experiences with customers. Gave me situational questions about customer experiences to see how I would respond. Also asked where I get my style/fashion inspiration. Overall pretty easy interview just to gauge how well you can work with customers and sell product (somewhat commission based job)

Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

Started out with a phone screen with a recruiter. Then met with the recruiter I spoke with on the phone, as well as his colleague. Then Met with Tech Recruiter one one one. Then met with 3 members of the help desk team. One of which was part of their internship program prior to be hired.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Howell, MI (US)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at J. Crew (Howell, MI (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I originally handed in my application when the manager was unavailable to speak with me at the moment, the associate manger took my application and asked me a few questions such as "why do I want to work at J. Crew?" Later that day the head manger called and apologized for not meeting me in person and said she would file for my background check that day. Two days later I called after not hearing anything and asked about my application process, the associate manger said that me background check had just came in today and that the head store manger would call me the following day to schedule a formal interview. After hearing nothing the following day I went into the store in person the next day and spoke to the store manger. She was very polite and kind, she gave me a formal interview in the office of the store that day and we discussed availability and pay and she told to to come in the upcoming Friday to finalize some paperwork and to find a start date.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work at J. Crew?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given room to negotiate my wage, but I did not want to push my luck and seem demanding so I accepted J. Crews base wage which is $9.10 an hour which is much more than my states minimum wage. They were also very flexible about my hours given the fact that I am a full time student.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY (US)) in March 2015.

Interview

I first talked with an HR recruiter in January (20 min conversation) about my background and then was emailing with her until March when I went into the corporate offices for a group interview. The group interview consisted of 3-4 individual interviews with different merchants (this was for a merchandising intern) and then as a group, we were interviewed by the CEO Mickey Drexler. Definitely be prepared to answer what J.Crew could do better, your favorite stores and why, and other industry questions.

Interview Questions

• What could J.Crew do better?   1 Answer