J.P. Morgan

Getting the Interview

2,071 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Tech Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in November 2013.

Interview Details Questions about previous work/project. One technical question and a group exercise during the assessment centre.

Operations Analyst Interview

Bournemouth, England

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2014.

Interview Details Second Round Assessment Centre
There were three tasks
1. One to one interview
2. Group exercise
3. Presentation to one interviewer evaluating the group exercise.

1. One to one interview
Based on the reviews I had found online I was expecting the first interview to be why JP Morgan, why operations, why investment banking. Instead it was very similar to the first round interview. All the questions were competency based with things such as give an example of when you introduced a new idea/overcame barriers to change/ prioritised lots of different tasks/worked with a difficult member in a team etc. The interviewer was lovely, it was very relaxed and informal and lasted 45 minutes. There were no unexpected or difficult questions just make sure you learn your competencies.

2. Group exercise.
Assessment centre groups can range from 4-8 candidates. To start off we were sat around a boardroom table and each given a booklet of information, rough paper and a calculator. The purpose of the exercise was explained, basically you are a strategy team evaluating three operating systems which need updating and deciding which two out of the three should take priority.

The first part of the exercise is 30 minutes of silent working time to read through the information. My advice would be to read quickly and make sure you get through to the end of the booklet. Make full use of the highlighters and feel free to rip the booklet apart to put it in a logical order, or keep relevant bits together. Also use the calculator to work out the cost of updating each system. Its basic maths, just a case of picking out the right information.

The one thing I cannot emphasise enough is that each person’s booklet is different and contains unique information that other candidates don't have in their booklet. The idea of this is that every person needs to contribute to the discussion as you all have something unique to share. Sharing all your unique information is one of the key points that you get assesed on so make sure you do this.

After the initial 30 minutes of silent reading are up, the assessors come into the room and the mock strategy meeting effectively begins. It is a very bizarre and forced situation to be in and you will find yourself and the other candidates behaving very oddly! There really isn't much you can do to prepare for this. Our group was a bit of a nightmare. The best advice is that the task the group has been set is very clear and you must achieve this by writing out your proposals on the piece of paper given. My group ran out of time as the person time keeping failed to do so! Furthermore the person scribing was overpowering and did not let everyone speak.

3. Presentation
After the group exercise I was really downheartened and thought there was no way I could possibly be succsesful after the poor performance in the group exercise. The presentation is basically an opportunity to redeem yourself and be open and honest about where you think the group went wrong and the part you played. The presentation is only to one interviewer and you can sit down so its much more like a discussion than an intimidating boardroom presentation.

You are giving 20 minutes to prepare your presentation on how the mock strategy meeting went. You are given a prompt presentation structure sheet which is really useful and I just followed the layout of that to the letter.

Be really honest with the interview and show that you are aware of your own personal development needs. So for me, I mentioned that there were times when I should have been more assertive especially when I could see we were running out of time. I also said that I regretted that I hadn't made more of a conscious effort to include quieter members of the group. You will be asked to comment on the performance of your teammates too which can be uncomfortable, however they behaved, do not bad mouth them at all but be honest about where you think they could have improved.

My overall experience was really positive. All the interviewers were friendly and approachable and the whole process was welcoming and not at all intimidating.

Negotiation Details – Graduate scheme, no negotiation.

Sales & Trading Internship Interview

Interviewed at J.P. Morgan

Interview Details first round interview at JPM london office, 2 interviews: first one was asked general questions: why JPM, a time you resolved conflicts etc. competency based questions.
Second interview was asked estimate number of tourist visiting the Colosseum in a day in August; Invest in a stock, why? How can JPM help that company?

Technical Analyst Interview

Bournemouth, England

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2014.

Interview Details Two rounds of assessment centre after the initial application screening process. No online tests and no telephonic interviews. The first round involved two sessions of general competency and general technical interviews. Questions like what is in your opinion is the current innovative technology? why JP? why this role?

The second round was a full assessment day with 5 rounds of interviews. The first two were technical. They involved coding algorithm and explaining the answers to the interviewer. The third was a situational competency . Fourth was a group exercise on cloud compuing vs virtualisation and the fifth was assessing the performance of oneself and the group members in the group exercise.

Interview Question – Situational competency questions like describe a situation where you had to work with something you had no previous experience with?   Answer Question

Sales, Trading & Research Interview

London, England

Interview Details The whole process took a little longer than 3 months. My first round was quick but between first and second round there was a 2.5 month gap due to them forgetting to contact and reply back to my emails!

Online Application: It consisted of competency questions and psychometric tests.
First Round Interviews: Consisted of two 30 minute interviews with people working in that department. First interview was competency based. Interviewer asked questions on professionalism, ethics, moral, why you would fit etc. Second interviewer was more technical and talked about the markets, which I enjoyed more personally. It included brainteasers, hypothetical situations such as If the US wages war on Iran, what would the impact on the markets be? You need to know your asset classes, the effects of different factors on the markets and certain asset classes. Everyone was lovely, friendly and encouraging.
Final Round Assessment Centre: It included a sales pitch and 2 interviews with senior people. The sales pitch is quite difficult as the questions asked are dependent on who is interviewing you and their field of expertise. The other interviews were competency based but I felt the questions were very repetitive and overlapped. All in all, great experience, a little tough on the technical side but it was expected.

Interview Question – Brainteaser: How many people commute in and out of London each day?   Answer Question

Human Resources Intern Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in February 2014.

Interview Details After I submitted an online application I was invited to the Assessment Centre, which consisted of 4 tasks:

1. Presentation which had to be prepared based on a pile of documents/emails given to you
2. Group exercise based on the similar data where you had to discuss and come up with a solution
3. Two competency-based questions + company-specific

Interview Question – Share price of JP Morgan last night? CEO of JP Morgan? What are the different parts of HR department in JP Morgan? What are the different areas in which JP Morgan operates?
+ competency based, such as 'give me an example of a situation where you had to motivate others for a result'
  Answer Question

Investment Banking Associate Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details Online application. Then online tests. Then two interviews on site. Then a full day assessment centre, testing number skill, presentation skills, debating skills, soft skills.

Interview Question – Questions included - why do you want to do this, tell me about yourself, tell me a time you achieved more than was asked, tell me a time you worked with difficult colleagues and how you resolved the situation, tell me how you saw the global financial crisis, tell me how you think the industry and the bank should respond to it, tell me a person you admire and why, tell me what inspires you, do you have any questions for me... also heard of "how many ping pong balls would fit on the deck of the Titanic"... "what was JPM's lowest share price in the last 12M"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Phone call to tell me I had the job, with salary details. Accepted on the spot.

Graduate Position Interview

Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details I applied through the online portal on their webpage and got called in for an interview a few weeks later. This was followed by 1 Competency based interview and 1 Technical competency interview on the same day at their office in Glasgow. Having cleared that I was invited to an assessment center which included problem solving, technical interview, competency interview, group exercise and a written test.

Interview Question – It was very easy and straight forward. If you prepare well it should be a breeze   Answer Question

Trading Interview

London, England

I applied through college or university and interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details Wasn't great, think they had favourites beforehand

Internship- Sales Trading & Research Interview

The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details After submitting an online application, 1 attitude test and 1 numerical test. In 1st round interview, there were 11 candidates in total on the scheduled time. Standard two-round 45 min competency interview, friendly atmosphere , not pushy at all.
Questions included:
Tell me about why you applied for JP Morgan
Give an example of a time when you have worked in a team, etc
+ a brainteaser

Interview Question – everything was as expected   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at J.P. Morgan

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!

J.P. Morgan Videos

J.P. Morgan – Why Work for Us?

J.P. Morgan has been doing first-class business in a first-class way for more than 200 years. We have been a leading player in helping companies grow and markets develop throughout our history. We work in collaboration… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.P. Morgan interview questions and advice. All 2,071 interview reviews are posted anonymously by J.P. Morgan employees and interview candidates.