Jacobs

Updated 24 Oct 2014
Updated 24 Oct 2014

2.6

Graduate Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jacobs in July 2014.

Process took two weeks from online submission to job offer. Applied online by simply submitting my CV and covering letter. Had a short chat with HR few days later via telephone to tell me more about the role and to find out more about myself. I was invited to a face to face interview, which took place the following week.

There were two interviewers who were senior members of staff. Interviewers were friendly and made it comfortable. We spoke about my university projects, modules I've taken, what I enjoyed at uni, etc. Then competency questions, mainly focusing on leadership and teamwork skills. Next, some questions focusing on materials, inspection, maintenance, health and safety and anything involved in the role. I was also given a short test to calculate max. bending moments and draw various simple bending moment diagrams.

Lastly they asked about my salary expectations and availability. I received an offer within a few days.

Interview Questions
    • Describe everything you must consider in a project from start to finish.   Answer Question
    When they asked what my salary expectations were during the interview, I mentioned a salary range typical of that in the industry and area. They offered me the high end of that range so I didn't feel the need to negotiate.

Graduate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jacobs in March 2014.

Quite simple really. Fill in an application online,then 2-3 weeks later got an email for interview. Interview was a face to face interview with two senior member of the organisation. Seemed really friendly atmosphere.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to inspire someone else?
      Give me an example when you had to manage your time effectively?
      Salary Expectation?
        Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jacobs in February 2014.

Applied online and received a phone interview roughly 2 weeks later

Interview Questions
    • Asked mostly about my CV and previous experiences, no real technical questions.   Answer Question

Graduate Transport Planner/Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jacobs in May 2013.

Only one interview - face to face.

Interviewed by: two people - Both very friendly! I felt very comfortable!

Interview time: 1.5 hours !

Questions: Around 18 questions! General and Competency Questions

My advice: BE YOURSELF - BE CONFIDENT

1. What do you know about Jacobs?
    Answer: I told them analytically about their:
    1.core values
    2.markets
    3.services
    4.their commitment to Sustainability and Safety issues
    5.number of employees/offices

2. What attracted you to Jacobs?
    Answer: I told them about the opportunity to be involved in major projects due to the high volume of projects that the company deals. Also, i told them that their core values meet my own values as a young engineer.

3. What can you offer to us?
    Answer: I said about my qualifications:
    1.MSc in Transport planning and BSc in Mechanical
    2.mathematical approach to problems
    3.analytical skills, etc..
    4.Basically everything they asked on their advertise!
    5.in addition i said that my greatest skill is my passion to work at this position at this company!!!

4. Why do you want to leave your current job?
    Answer: I love my current job but i dont have the opportunity to be involved in the Transport sector and your company will offer me this chance.

5. Why are you making a shift to your career? (because in my previous work i was working as a mechanical engineer for 1 year)
    Answer: I was honest! i am not making a career shift - The fact that i didnt work as a Transport planner until now is because i didnt have the chance. As an engineer i am capable to work in different sectors because during my studies i have developed the ability to deal with different aspects and parameters and problems.so my way of thinking is what makes me able to work in several sectors.

6.Why did you apply in this city?
    Answer: its not about the city - its about Jacobs..i would have applied in every city just to work for Jacobs.

7.Salary expectations?
    Answer: 17000 - 21000 annual, according to other graduate jobs

8.Technical questions about transport software - i wasn't very prepared for deep questions - but i did well - be prepared for output/input, what route is suggested by the software (the quickest one).

9. If you get the job what will b your task?
    Answer:
    - transport surveys - data collection
    - data analysis in Excel/Access
    - reports
    - mathematical analysis in problems
    - client focus relationship
    - project management (after some months of working)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COMPETENCY QUESTIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell us a time when:

10.You had a difficult client (REMEMBER THAT JACOBS IS A CLIENT FOCUS COMPANY)
    11.You had a team work - how do you deal it
    12.Someone in your team wasn't motivated - what did you do
    13.You had to be initiative
    14.You had to meet a deadline but you didnt have much time
    15.You had to organise your time
    16.You faced a safety issue (REMEMBER JACOBS IS VERY COMMITTED TO SAFETY)

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult were 2 of the technical questions:
      1. regarding a software (input/output)
      2. in case of implementation of some measures to calm the congestion on a road what can this result to the surrounding area?
      Answer: it can result less traffic flows on the surrounding roads and finally a preference of car users to use the beneficial road - so, will have a congested road again.
        Answer Question
    One week after the interview i received a phone call from them - they told me about the offer - then i received an email with the details.

Graduate Project Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Jacobs.

There is only one interview with the management where they ask typical questions like:
    - Why do you want to join our organisation?
    - Tell me about your greatest achievement so far?
    - Where would you like to be in 5 years?
    - How do you set priorities and meet deadlines?
    - How do you handle conflicts?
    There is also a short and easy numerical test and a verbal test that requires reading a text and checking for spelling errors.

Interview Questions
    • How would you ensure that Health & Safety standards are maintained?   Answer Question

Summer Civil Engineering Internship/Placement Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jacobs in May 2012.

Submission of CV and covering letter followed by interview with two staff members. The interview consisted of competency based questions, a problem solving exercise, discussion of the exercise followed by a more informal chat about the industry, projects you might be interested in etc. The two interviewers seemed friendly and genuine.

The process seems to have been updated to an on-line portal advertising jobs and allowing for on-line applications and a searchable profile with candidate preferences, work experience, skills audit and educational achievements.

Interview Questions
    • The problem solving exercise was to suggest improvement measures for a small town divided by a heavily trafficked main road which is flanked by an ecologically sensitive area and a river with limited crossing potential.   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Jacobs in February 2010.

Was a put off. Decision was made very early on. I knew stright away that I was not right for the job as the hiring manager was looking for a very specific experiance which I did not have. wish they told so I wouldn't wast their and my time.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave a company and a job you really enjoy?   Answer Question

Student Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jacobs in July 2008.

First contact was organised through the Engineering Education Scheme, after reviewing my CV Jacobs invited me for an interview at their Sheldon Court office. The interview began with a quick tour of the office before we sat down in a conference room for something more formal. A senior engineer lead the interview with the previous years student engineer also present.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question asked referred to difficulties encountered on a major civil's project in London at the time. They basically referred to difficulties damping out oscillation on the millennium bridge and asked me what I new about this subject.   View Answer
    Straightforward as the year in industry programme managers handled a lot of stuff. The whole experience was really worth while for a very young engineer.

HRBP Interview

Was contacted for an interview by a recruiter. They sent up an in-person "screen" with the Hiring Manager. They were flexible with the time. Turned into a 2 hour interview. Never heard back from them again despite numerous attempted follow-ups with them.

Project Engineer V Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jacobs.

Phone interview that lasted all of 5 min to setup site interview. Within one week of interview I was presented an offer. Not much to really say more about it, it was very easy which goes to show that Jacobs is somewhat of a body shop like S&B

Interview Questions
    negotiated extra week off of vacation and was agreed