Jacobs

Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Electrical Engineer Interview

Graduate Electrical Engineer
Cardiff, Wales

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jacobs in March 2014.

Interview Details Quite simple really. Fill in an application online,then 2-3 weeks later got an email for interview. Interview was a face to face interview with two senior member of the organisation. Seemed really friendly atmosphere.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had to inspire someone else?
Give me an example when you had to manage your time effectively?
Salary Expectation?
  Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Graduate Engineer
Glasgow, Scotland

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jacobs in February 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and received a phone interview roughly 2 weeks later

Interview Question – Asked mostly about my CV and previous experiences, no real technical questions.   Answer Question

Summer Civil Engineering Internship/Placement Interview

Summer Civil Engineering Internship/Placement
Leeds, England

I applied through another source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jacobs in May 2012.

Interview Details Submission of CV and covering letter followed by interview with two staff members. The interview consisted of competency based questions, a problem solving exercise, discussion of the exercise followed by a more informal chat about the industry, projects you might be interested in etc. The two interviewers seemed friendly and genuine.

The process seems to have been updated to an on-line portal advertising jobs and allowing for on-line applications and a searchable profile with candidate preferences, work experience, skills audit and educational achievements.

Interview Question – The problem solving exercise was to suggest improvement measures for a small town divided by a heavily trafficked main road which is flanked by an ecologically sensitive area and a river with limited crossing potential.   View Answer

Graduate Transport Planner/Engineer Interview

Graduate Transport Planner/Engineer
Birmingham, England

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jacobs in May 2013.

Interview Details Only one interview - face to face.

Interviewed by: two people - Both very friendly! I felt very comfortable!

Interview time: 1.5 hours !

Questions: Around 18 questions! General and Competency Questions

My advice: BE YOURSELF - BE CONFIDENT

1. What do you know about Jacobs?
Answer: I told them analytically about their:
1.core values
2.markets
3.services
4.their commitment to Sustainability and Safety issues
5.number of employees/offices

2. What attracted you to Jacobs?
Answer: I told them about the opportunity to be involved in major projects due to the high volume of projects that the company deals. Also, i told them that their core values meet my own values as a young engineer.

3. What can you offer to us?
Answer: I said about my qualifications:
1.MSc in Transport planning and BSc in Mechanical
2.mathematical approach to problems
3.analytical skills, etc..
4.Basically everything they asked on their advertise!
5.in addition i said that my greatest skill is my passion to work at this position at this company!!!

4. Why do you want to leave your current job?
Answer: I love my current job but i dont have the opportunity to be involved in the Transport sector and your company will offer me this chance.

5. Why are you making a shift to your career? (because in my previous work i was working as a mechanical engineer for 1 year)
Answer: I was honest! i am not making a career shift - The fact that i didnt work as a Transport planner until now is because i didnt have the chance. As an engineer i am capable to work in different sectors because during my studies i have developed the ability to deal with different aspects and parameters and problems.so my way of thinking is what makes me able to work in several sectors.

6.Why did you apply in this city?
Answer: its not about the city - its about Jacobs..i would have applied in every city just to work for Jacobs.

7.Salary expectations?
Answer: 17000 - 21000 annual, according to other graduate jobs

8.Technical questions about transport software - i wasn't very prepared for deep questions - but i did well - be prepared for output/input, what route is suggested by the software (the quickest one).

9. If you get the job what will b your task?
Answer:
- transport surveys - data collection
- data analysis in Excel/Access
- reports
- mathematical analysis in problems
- client focus relationship
- project management (after some months of working)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COMPETENCY QUESTIONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell us a time when:

10.You had a difficult client (REMEMBER THAT JACOBS IS A CLIENT FOCUS COMPANY)
11.You had a team work - how do you deal it
12.Someone in your team wasn't motivated - what did you do
13.You had to be initiative
14.You had to meet a deadline but you didnt have much time
15.You had to organise your time
16.You faced a safety issue (REMEMBER JACOBS IS VERY COMMITTED TO SAFETY)

Interview Question – The most difficult were 2 of the technical questions:
1. regarding a software (input/output)
2. in case of implementation of some measures to calm the congestion on a road what can this result to the surrounding area?
Answer: it can result less traffic flows on the surrounding roads and finally a preference of car users to use the beneficial road - so, will have a congested road again.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – One week after the interview i received a phone call from them - they told me about the offer - then i received an email with the details.

Graduate Project Manager Interview

Graduate Project Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Jacobs.

Interview Details There is only one interview with the management where they ask typical questions like:
- Why do you want to join our organisation?
- Tell me about your greatest achievement so far?
- Where would you like to be in 5 years?
- How do you set priorities and meet deadlines?
- How do you handle conflicts?
There is also a short and easy numerical test and a verbal test that requires reading a text and checking for spelling errors.

Interview Question – How would you ensure that Health & Safety standards are maintained?   Answer Question

Student Engineer Interview

Student Engineer
Birmingham, England

I applied through another source and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Jacobs in July 2008.

Interview Details First contact was organised through the Engineering Education Scheme, after reviewing my CV Jacobs invited me for an interview at their Sheldon Court office. The interview began with a quick tour of the office before we sat down in a conference room for something more formal. A senior engineer lead the interview with the previous years student engineer also present.

Interview Question – The most difficult question asked referred to difficulties encountered on a major civil's project in London at the time. They basically referred to difficulties damping out oscillation on the millennium bridge and asked me what I new about this subject.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Straightforward as the year in industry programme managers handled a lot of stuff. The whole experience was really worth while for a very young engineer.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager

The process took a day - interviewed at Jacobs in February 2010.

Interview Details Was a put off. Decision was made very early on. I knew stright away that I was not right for the job as the hiring manager was looking for a very specific experiance which I did not have. wish they told so I wouldn't wast their and my time.

Interview Question – Why do you want to leave a company and a job you really enjoy?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Jacobs.

Interview Details I had a phone interview and then onsite interview with key personnel to talk about industry background and how my experiences would fit to the consultancy work done. The process was intriguing based on the conceptual work, and the components of advisory work the office is looking for.. technical + soft peoples skill analyzing on a macro level

Interview Question – growth expectations in a flat organization   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – pegged against current compensation + 30% raise

Systems Administrator Interview

Systems Administrator

Interviewed at Jacobs

Interview Details I was first contacted and set up a telephonic interview. The interview was successful. They called back after they recieved funding. I then did another telephonic interview. I had to send in my resume and apply again. The overall process was long, but was fairly easy. They only had parttime so I declined.

Interview Question – One animal that describes you and why?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offered only parttime.

Field Tech Interview

Field Tech

Interviewed at Jacobs

Interview Details Questions by three people and answers were given. Job is one I am over qualified and they didn't deny that, but did not reward either. They all took time to ask questions one by one until they were done. all were outgoing and it was a fun interview, we spoke of me and them as well as the job here and there.

Negotiation Details – I tried and they were hard headed

Worked for Jacobs? Contribute to the Community!