Jefferies & Company

Getting the Interview

53 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Jefferies & Company

Interview Details First round: numeracy and verbal reasoning tests, the usual SHL stuff. Then two interviews, very conversational, relaxed, touched on a tiny bit of technical stuff with regards to valuation but that was all.

Second round: Three interviews then group exercise and presentation. Two of the three interviews again very conversational, they just want to know why Jefferies, why IBD, why not a bigger firm, which department are you interested in- the usual questions. Then there was the technical interview and you have to make sure you direct it to your strengths-what you know about otherwise they will probe and probe at a particular aspect of valuation. The interviewer got very detailed in his questions.

Interview Question – A curveball was thrown in one of the interviews: what is Jefferies's share price?   View Answer

Interviewed at Jefferies & Company

Interview Details Contacted me for a phone interview and spoke within two days. Spoke with a young analyst who had been with firm for just over a year. Standard questions, just going over different aspects of resume. Specifically asked about most important/hardest courses taken thus far and which parts of my leadership and community experience were most important

Interview Question – Pitch a stock.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

London, England

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2013.

Interview Details Approached by agency. London people enthusiastic and process quick. New York process slow and people seemed more lethargic.

Interview Question – Nothing too challenging. Hardest was, 'What have you got to offer that makes you unique?'   Answer Question

London, England

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2012.

Interview Details Two 40mins interviews. The first one was technical such as valuation model, what companies do with extra cash, something about special dividends. The second was motivational, just normal behavioral questions, nothing special. Then we were directed to a room to complete numerical and verbal reasoning tests which were exactly the same kind of questions as other online tests.

Interview Question – How are you going to invest with 100 million dollars?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Interviewed at Jefferies & Company

Interview Details Wasn't too hard. There were some technical questions, but they pretty much walked you through it and held your hand. It was more to see how you fit from a technical perspective. I met with all the senior bankers and never had a question that was like "how many marbles can fill an airplane, etc...". I thought it was more them trying to sell me than anything. But all in all, it wasn't too bad and was I left feeling very good about the job after I left. Got a call later that day that the job was mine.

Equity Research Associate Interview

Equity Research Associate
San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details Initially there was a phone interview where we went over very general questions to affirm that I was a good candidate for the position, and that I was interested in the specific role. Then we planned an in-office interview for the next week. They were friendly and respectful throughout the entire process.

Interview Question – Most difficult question that I received in the interview was them asking for a complete stock pitch   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Interview Details Applied through an employee referral. Interview process consisted of two phone screens and a Super Day. 1st round interview was very straightforward and interviewers were nice. Asked standard questions about the main valuation methodologies and walking through DCF. not too hard.

2nd round interviewers asked similar questions but with more of a markets focus. No accounting questions were asked. interviewers lacked energy.

Interview Question – you don't have the same pedigree as the other candidates. why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Interview Details 1st Round - Phone interview. Pitch me a stock, why S&T, basic fit questions.

2nd Round - Flew out to NY office, interviewed with 5 different employees. A couple 2 on 1 interviews and a 1 on 1 interview. Asked questions about resume, some fit questions, some technical questions.

Interview Question – None, felt well prepared.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Interview Details Met three different people - one senior, one sales and one trader. Most conversations were pretty casual and the atmosphere was fairly relaxed. All in all, it took about one and a half hour. Good experience. The people seemed very nice and open, and took good time to explain their jobs and backgrounds.

Interview Question – How do you handle a client who is wrong, but think he is right?   Answer Question

Summer Equities Intern Interview

Interviewed at Jefferies & Company

Interview Details One interview. Interviewer seemed interested; thought I was doing well. Received communication from them once all the second-round candidates had been chose, which I thought was unfair; better for everybody to know all at once. Communication of rejection was made by someone other than the interviewer.

Interview Question – None, since I got the feeling that I was prepared...   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Jefferies & Company

Worked for Jefferies & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Jefferies & Company interview questions and advice. All 53 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Jefferies & Company employees and interview candidates.