Jefferies & Company

3.2

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

I had two interviews on sequential days. First interview was with the team I would be working with, the second interview was the managing director of the department. I was offered the job within an hour of returning to my desk at my previous employer.

Interview Questions
    • What was your opinion of the film "Blair Witch Project"   Answer Question
    They made me an offer of one salary, I asked them to up the offer slightly and they agreed.

Summer Analyst Interview

First round: numeracy and verbal reasoning tests, the usual SHL stuff. Then two interviews, very conversational, relaxed, touched on a tiny bit of technical stuff with regards to valuation but that was all.

Second round: Three interviews then group exercise and presentation. Two of the three interviews again very conversational, they just want to know why Jefferies, why IBD, why not a bigger firm, which department are you interested in- the usual questions. Then there was the technical interview and you have to make sure you direct it to your strengths-what you know about otherwise they will probe and probe at a particular aspect of valuation. The interviewer got very detailed in his questions.

Interview Questions
    • A curveball was thrown in one of the interviews: what is Jefferies's share price?   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Contacted me for a phone interview and spoke within two days. Spoke with a young analyst who had been with firm for just over a year. Standard questions, just going over different aspects of resume. Specifically asked about most important/hardest courses taken thus far and which parts of my leadership and community experience were most important

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in December 2013.

They were really nice, they asked very general questions and some technical questions (nothing too hard general stuff about M&A), I came from a non-finance background, they matched nterviewer(s) very carefully (in accordance to your background) - made me feel very comfortable and welcome.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2013.

Approached by agency. London people enthusiastic and process quick. New York process slow and people seemed more lethargic.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too challenging. Hardest was, 'What have you got to offer that makes you unique?'   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2012.

Two 40mins interviews. The first one was technical such as valuation model, what companies do with extra cash, something about special dividends. The second was motivational, just normal behavioral questions, nothing special. Then we were directed to a room to complete numerical and verbal reasoning tests which were exactly the same kind of questions as other online tests.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Applied Online, persisted in calling HR, received phone interview, nailed phone interview,attended Superday, performed successfully...great overall experience. Very well-run on their end from start to finish. Format for interviews in-person is 2 on 1s and also a 1 on 1...be prepared to react well under pressure. Must be confident and have a good hold on your story in order to succeed.

Interview Questions
    • Basic technical questions involving understanding of financial Statements (involving Capex and depreciation and how it flows through each statement), stock pitch, macroeconomic questions, and a specific stock I would short and why. Also very important to understand why you want to work at Jefferies in particular as it is unique in comparison to many of the BB's on the street. Key advice is to mention the relatively flat structure ( Jefferies doesn't harbor arrogance as much as Goldman, JP, Morgan Stanley etc...but don't explicitly take knocks at these competitors, because many of your interviewers probably worked there! Good point to mention is that the company manages under 50 billion in assets and therefore able to operate independently of the government. Unlike many of the 'too-big to fail banks' Jefferies needs to stand on its own two feet.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

I had an assessment center for an Investment Banking summer analyst position.
    It was a bad experience. They kept us waiting for 1 hour and a half before the interviews even started and then they kept us for like another hour or more between interviews and Numerical/verbal tests.
    The HR woman was kinda rude. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend people to work there. There is just no way that they would treat you any better once you get the offer.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Very disorganized and rude during interview. VP was looking at his phone the whole time. First round was fine but the superday was overall a very bad experience and turned me off to accepting an offer.

Equity Research Interview

They gave you an article about an industry several days before the interview to look at it. During the interview, I was asked some questions around my resume, previous research experience, and my analysis and conclusion on that article