Jefferies & Company Interview Questions

Updated 11 Oct 2014

3.2

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

I had two interviews on sequential days. First interview was with the team I would be working with, the second interview was the managing director of the department. I was offered the job within an hour of returning to my desk at my previous employer.

Interview Questions
    • What was your opinion of the film "Blair Witch Project"   Answer Question
    They made me an offer of one salary, I asked them to up the offer slightly and they agreed.

Summer Analyst Interview

First round: numeracy and verbal reasoning tests, the usual SHL stuff. Then two interviews, very conversational, relaxed, touched on a tiny bit of technical stuff with regards to valuation but that was all.

Second round: Three interviews then group exercise and presentation. Two of the three interviews again very conversational, they just want to know why Jefferies, why IBD, why not a bigger firm, which department are you interested in- the usual questions. Then there was the technical interview and you have to make sure you direct it to your strengths-what you know about otherwise they will probe and probe at a particular aspect of valuation. The interviewer got very detailed in his questions.

Interview Questions
    • A curveball was thrown in one of the interviews: what is Jefferies's share price?   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Contacted me for a phone interview and spoke within two days. Spoke with a young analyst who had been with firm for just over a year. Standard questions, just going over different aspects of resume. Specifically asked about most important/hardest courses taken thus far and which parts of my leadership and community experience were most important

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in December 2013.

They were really nice, they asked very general questions and some technical questions (nothing too hard general stuff about M&A), I came from a non-finance background, they matched nterviewer(s) very carefully (in accordance to your background) - made me feel very comfortable and welcome.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2013.

Approached by agency. London people enthusiastic and process quick. New York process slow and people seemed more lethargic.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too challenging. Hardest was, 'What have you got to offer that makes you unique?'   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2012.

Two 40mins interviews. The first one was technical such as valuation model, what companies do with extra cash, something about special dividends. The second was motivational, just normal behavioral questions, nothing special. Then we were directed to a room to complete numerical and verbal reasoning tests which were exactly the same kind of questions as other online tests.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Referred by an employee. First round phone interview then superday at their New York office. Two rounds of interviews with two Jefferies' employees. Heard back within a few days that I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Basic technical questions asked (accounting, valuation methods). Some questions they asked merely to throw you off (What are your 5 greatest weaknesses, why don't you have a 4.0 GPA) so be prepared for that. Have a few stories where you showed teamwork, leadership, and being able to respond to senior management.   Answer Question

IB Analyst Interview

interviewed with 2 people - a VP and an associate. One about past transactions and the other quantitative questions. They have many transactions and they are proud of their deal flow.

Trader Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Initial round of interviews was pleasant and succinct. Met with most members of the team in the course of a 3 hour afternoon session. Second round with management was also brief, but less enjoyable. In hindsight, it gave an excellent indication of the uninspired manner in which the overall company is run.

Vice President -- Risk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

Phone, in-person interviews (3 rounds). Final round was meeting the seniors. Mediocre interviewers, so no need to worry too much. Most of the interviews were just talk-talk, nothing very serious.

Interview Questions
    • Salary negotiation. They always try to low-ball you. You need to stay firm, and push back!   Answer Question