Jefferies & Company

Updated 17 Jan 2015

3.2

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Jefferies & Company.

I had two interviews on sequential days. First interview was with the team I would be working with, the second interview was the managing director of the department. I was offered the job within an hour of returning to my desk at my previous employer.

Interview Questions
    • What was your opinion of the film "Blair Witch Project"   Answer Question
    They made me an offer of one salary, I asked them to up the offer slightly and they agreed.

Summer Analyst Interview

First round: numeracy and verbal reasoning tests, the usual SHL stuff. Then two interviews, very conversational, relaxed, touched on a tiny bit of technical stuff with regards to valuation but that was all.

Second round: Three interviews then group exercise and presentation. Two of the three interviews again very conversational, they just want to know why Jefferies, why IBD, why not a bigger firm, which department are you interested in- the usual questions. Then there was the technical interview and you have to make sure you direct it to your strengths-what you know about otherwise they will probe and probe at a particular aspect of valuation. The interviewer got very detailed in his questions.

Interview Questions
    • A curveball was thrown in one of the interviews: what is Jefferies's share price?   View Answer

Summer Analyst Interview

Contacted me for a phone interview and spoke within two days. Spoke with a young analyst who had been with firm for just over a year. Standard questions, just going over different aspects of resume. Specifically asked about most important/hardest courses taken thus far and which parts of my leadership and community experience were most important

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in December 2013.

They were really nice, they asked very general questions and some technical questions (nothing too hard general stuff about M&A), I came from a non-finance background, they matched nterviewer(s) very carefully (in accordance to your background) - made me feel very comfortable and welcome.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in February 2013.

Approached by agency. London people enthusiastic and process quick. New York process slow and people seemed more lethargic.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too challenging. Hardest was, 'What have you got to offer that makes you unique?'   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2012.

Two 40mins interviews. The first one was technical such as valuation model, what companies do with extra cash, something about special dividends. The second was motivational, just normal behavioral questions, nothing special. Then we were directed to a room to complete numerical and verbal reasoning tests which were exactly the same kind of questions as other online tests.

Equity Research Interview

They gave you an article about an industry several days before the interview to look at it. During the interview, I was asked some questions around my resume, previous research experience, and my analysis and conclusion on that article

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in January 2015.

Interviewed for the Summer Analyst Program in SF. It was a pretty comfortable environment and the interviewer was really nice. First just a couple of behavioral questions: talk about your self, IBD, why tech and tech trends, etc. Then some pretty basic technical questions: Accounting, Valuation methods including LBO, some qualitative questions about the valuation multiples of specific tech sectors, etc.

Interview Questions
    • If I were to talk to your previous manager, what would he say about your strengths?   Answer Question

IBDEnergy Group Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in December 2014.

While going through the resume, the interviewer asked many technical questions, or questions related to the market and behavioral questions as well. For example, how to do DCF, how to calculate free cash flow, tell me a relative project that you have done, and what is the current oil price.

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Jefferies & Company in November 2014.

Apllied thru on-campus recruiting and attended a networking session.
    1st round was over phone with one analysts, 2nd round also over phone with 2 analysts.
    Did not receive Super Day
    Both interviews were mix of behavioral and technical. Technicals in 1st round were straightforward, in 2nd round they got more complicated, asked about nuances.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the Mid-Year convention in a DCF. Why do you subtract change in net working capital to get to Free Cash Flow   Answer Question