Johns Hopkins University Interview Questions

Updated 21 Oct 2014
Updated 21 Oct 2014

2.8

Research Technologist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Applied through HR. Emailed directly by the PI and asked if I would be available for a phone call. Contacted by PI for phone interview where I was asked about my previous research as an undergraduate student, specifically in regards to the research I might be doing in the lab. At the end of the call, I was invited for in-person interview the next week.

Drove up to Hopkins and interviewed with PI of the lab, then met with lab manager and senior techs, finally closed interview with PI. The entire interview took roughly 2-3 hrs and everyone was very pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult questions were the probings about my future research as an undergrad, and even those were not too technical or difficult. Most of the interview was just getting to know me and making sure my very recent B.S. in Biology gave me enough knowledge to start working in a lab at an entry level position.   Answer Question

Mangererarfjaowej Interview

The whole selection exercise will last for 3 hours. Below is some information to help you prepare for it.

Format

A written exercise comprising several tasks: in-tray exercise, English and Chinese paper
    An impromptu presentation
    A short one-to-one interview
    What does Hang Seng Bank look for?

Hang Seng Bank looks for someone with the following competences:

Self-motivated, strong in planning and organising
    Innovative, flexible, resilient and able to think laterally
    Good in communication, interpersonal and analytical skills
    How might you prepare for the interview?

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

After the application process, I emailed a couple professors to check for their plans of hiring new graduate students. The recruiting process differs from department to department, but usually professors had the call for their own graduate assistants. The professor who was interested called me to his office (I was a master student then), and asked me about my chemistry background, intention to stay in JHU and then gave me the offer the next day.

No negotiation phase. I accepted my offer immediately

Learning Den Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

You must fill out an application form online and then interview in person, the whole interview was very enjoyable. The interview focus on teaching skill rather than subject knowledge. The interviewer was very nice, polite and walked me through the whole process and kept in touch about my performance these last two years.

Teaching Assistant Interview

I had two phone interviews. The first was a screener to make sure I actually was who I claimed to be and to make sure I could speak in complete sentences. Before the second, I was asked to prepare a sample lesson plan for a unit and submit it. In the second interview, I was questioned about how I would deliver the lesson, what would happen if things went wrong, and how I would approach certain common or uncommon classroom situations.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions about whether or not I would break certain seemingly harmless rules.   View Answer

Program Assistant II Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Applied through HR and spent a day shadowing in the lab. Interviewed with several members of the lab and was given the opportunity to ask the person presently holding the position many questions. It was a thorough interview that allowed me to interview the lab as much as they were interviewing me.

Interview Questions
    • PI did not ask me typical interview questions. Be able to speak intelligently and in detail about your research experience and specific projects/outcomes   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

I was referred by my boss from my previous postdoctoral position in Johns Hopkins University. I was invited to come and talk to my potential employer, and Research Associate from the same lab and present my previous research on the lab meeting. Everything went smoothly and I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions - mostly about my research and skills and future plans.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

I applied the position through JHU website and got an email from HR to setup in person interview. Interview Questions: What is your greatest strength? What is your greatest weakness? Why are you leaving your job?

Summer Intern Interview

Applied for a summer internship position in December of 2013 and didn't hear a word from them until mid May of 2014 when I received a rejection email. Thoroughly unimpressed with their lack of any semblance of professionalism or grip on reality (in what scenario would someone seeking employment in June wait until May to accept other job offers because of an employer who hadn't made any effort to contact an applicant for nearly half a year?!). Won't be applying again.

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Applied by email, then phone interview and personal interview