Johns Hopkins University

Updated 28 Jan 2015
Updated 28 Jan 2015

2.8

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Applied online, completed an interview via Skype by two members of the department, and then was interviewed in person by three members of the department. In-person interview lasted about one hour. Date of application to date of offer was very long - over 2 months.

This job was posted without a salary range, unusual for Hopkins.

Interview Questions
    • Don't recall. None of the questions were particularly challenging.   Answer Question
    Hopkins does not pay very well for most positions. I did not get what I requested when I started.

Research Technologist Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University in November 2014.

After I applied for the Research Technologist position with JHU, I was contacted a week or two later by the Director of the laboratory by email in which a phone interview was setup.The actual phone interview didn't feel like an interview at all. The Director gave more detail about what the position was and what it entailed and asked if I was still interested. When I said I was, a formal interview was scheduled. The formal interview was fairly easygoing as it was an an entry-level position I had applied for, and the Director was very kind. Emphasis was on experience with questions like: it says here on your resume that you were involved in this project. Can you tell me more about your role and what you did? In addition, they were also interested in the coursework that I had taken that was relevant to the job. I met with several members of the laboratory and got to ask questions in which they were helpful. The interview was also more listening than talking. They want to inform you of their research goals to see if it's worth pursuing for you. I'd suggest becoming familiar with their research by reading journal articles so you can not only keep up with them, but you can ask relevant and "smart" questions.

Therefore, if you know your resume inside out, you will ace this interview. The position was offered to me by email the same day as the interview. However, I still sent thank you notes by email or LinkedIn with everyone I interviewed with.

The hiring process was far less easy. Many, many, many forms are required for hire, and I cannot tell you how many times I filled out the same form more than twice. Be prepared to do background checks and drug tests and the like. The entire process took a little over a month.

Interview Questions
    • On this interview, there were no tricky questions because it was an entry level position, and they were desperate.   Answer Question
    Although the interview process was easy, I did not stay long with JHU due to the unfriendliness of the staff. I hope your experience fairs better than mine.

Research Technologist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Applied through HR. Emailed directly by the PI and asked if I would be available for a phone call. Contacted by PI for phone interview where I was asked about my previous research as an undergraduate student, specifically in regards to the research I might be doing in the lab. At the end of the call, I was invited for in-person interview the next week.

Drove up to Hopkins and interviewed with PI of the lab, then met with lab manager and senior techs, finally closed interview with PI. The entire interview took roughly 2-3 hrs and everyone was very pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult questions were the probings about my future research as an undergrad, and even those were not too technical or difficult. Most of the interview was just getting to know me and making sure my very recent B.S. in Biology gave me enough knowledge to start working in a lab at an entry level position.   Answer Question

Mangererarfjaowej Interview

The whole selection exercise will last for 3 hours. Below is some information to help you prepare for it.

Format

A written exercise comprising several tasks: in-tray exercise, English and Chinese paper
    An impromptu presentation
    A short one-to-one interview
    What does Hang Seng Bank look for?

Hang Seng Bank looks for someone with the following competences:

Self-motivated, strong in planning and organising
    Innovative, flexible, resilient and able to think laterally
    Good in communication, interpersonal and analytical skills
    How might you prepare for the interview?

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

After the application process, I emailed a couple professors to check for their plans of hiring new graduate students. The recruiting process differs from department to department, but usually professors had the call for their own graduate assistants. The professor who was interested called me to his office (I was a master student then), and asked me about my chemistry background, intention to stay in JHU and then gave me the offer the next day.

No negotiation phase. I accepted my offer immediately

Learning Den Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

You must fill out an application form online and then interview in person, the whole interview was very enjoyable. The interview focus on teaching skill rather than subject knowledge. The interviewer was very nice, polite and walked me through the whole process and kept in touch about my performance these last two years.

Teaching Assistant Interview

I had two phone interviews. The first was a screener to make sure I actually was who I claimed to be and to make sure I could speak in complete sentences. Before the second, I was asked to prepare a sample lesson plan for a unit and submit it. In the second interview, I was questioned about how I would deliver the lesson, what would happen if things went wrong, and how I would approach certain common or uncommon classroom situations.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions about whether or not I would break certain seemingly harmless rules.   View Answer

Program Assistant II Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

Applied through HR and spent a day shadowing in the lab. Interviewed with several members of the lab and was given the opportunity to ask the person presently holding the position many questions. It was a thorough interview that allowed me to interview the lab as much as they were interviewing me.

Interview Questions
    • PI did not ask me typical interview questions. Be able to speak intelligently and in detail about your research experience and specific projects/outcomes   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Johns Hopkins University.

I was referred by my boss from my previous postdoctoral position in Johns Hopkins University. I was invited to come and talk to my potential employer, and Research Associate from the same lab and present my previous research on the lab meeting. Everything went smoothly and I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions - mostly about my research and skills and future plans.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Software Engineer Interview

I applied the position through JHU website and got an email from HR to setup in person interview. Interview Questions: What is your greatest strength? What is your greatest weakness? Why are you leaving your job?