KPMG

Getting the Interview

33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

London, England

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at KPMG in August 2010.

Interview Details I went through 2 case studies with 2 associate directors. Both case studies where around profitability with a focus on operations. Both cases required quite a lot of calculus and where average difficulty. The last interview with the partner was typical fit to discuss salary and grade.

Interview Question – Resilience, motivation, why KPMG, why OSG   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No room for negotiation but made clear to the partner I needed to relocate to London, therefore it required me more money to live in the city

Atlanta, GA (US)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KPMG.

Interview Details Applied on campus

Interview Question – Nothing special, no behavioral questions. I walked through resume and answered followed up questions: how i did it, what was the difficulty, what was the result..   Answer Question

New York, NY (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KPMG in February 2010.

Interview Details Two to three rounds of interviews that initially start with HR recruiter and two interviewers (manager or partner/director) from the practice group. Great onboarding process that starts with one week of training in the office or out-of-town (out of pocket expenses to be reimbursed by the company).

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself 5 years from now?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The base salary offered is depending on previous employer's salary so there's no room to negotiate. I negotiated for the sign-on bonus due to other offers in big 4.

Senior Associate

I interviewed at KPMG in January 2014.

Interview Details If you get a call or email from someone in KPMG's South Africa office or the "Recruitment Research" or "EHR Research" group in the U.S., do not waste your time and call them back. In the few times that they've contacted me from this group, the HR person is clueless about the positions they are supposedly recruiting you for. They make it sound like they are taking notes or assisting the official recruiting department. They have no idea what projects they are recruiting for but of course will ask you to provide your salary requirements, etc. It sounds more like they're collecting information for their year end performance assessments (i.e where they're paying their current employees and what the market is currently demanding), KPIs, or whatever HR initiatives under their belt. In my most recent phone call, the recruiter was so unprepared with my own basic questions about the group, role, and what was going on with the company that I felt that I was the one being the interviewer and he was nothing more than a deer in headlights. Useless interviews and wasting candidate's time for their own personal "research" agenda.

Interview Question – Nothing difficult   Answer Question

Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at KPMG in August 2011.

Interview Details Application form online. Then 2 interviews. One with an Associate Director or Director and the other with the function partner.

The online application was a bit tedious asking for all your leaving cert results and college results. You do need a min of 450 pts to get in and better to have 500+ or have a masters in accounting

Interview Question – The most difficult was why KPMG and then why accounting. They also put pressure on any areas of academia you haven't been great at.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – N/A

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at KPMG.

Interview Details Behavioral questions for the most part. People interviewing you want to make sure you are detail oriented, a hard worker and will be a great person to work with. Given than projects can last for many months and you will be working with the same team for long hours, people want to know you can be a team player and get along well with others.

Interview Question – No technical questions for this level position. Be ready to have good examples of interesting projects you worked in the past and examples of when you showed initiative and leadership.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Asked for a sign in bonus, received a reasonable amount.

Short Hills, NJ (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at KPMG in February 2013.

Interview Details Applied through a referral and got a call from an internal recruiter a month later for a phone interview that lasted 15 minutes. After that initial contact got an Interview date with a partner and a manager. Three months later got a second interview with a Senior Manager and a Director. During all this time never got contacted by a HR Recruiter. Even with Follow Ups and Thank you Emails, the recruiter that works for this office never replied to the emails.

Interview Question – What do you know about the proposed regulations?   Answer Question

Interviewed at KPMG

Interview Details The hiring process was straight forward. There were 3 interviews with senior management. The interview was at a very high level. There is a lot to take in for a firm that has so many employees.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at KPMG in July 2012.

Interview Details You should realize that the recruiting, assessment, and selection process is decentralized and stratified at the very least by campus and experienced hires per service area Audit, Tax, and Advisory and then again per Management, Risk, and Transactions and Restructuring, and then again per practice area. Each may have its own standard (or not) process. You should also not, there may or may not be a specific job opening, position or role and I had a very hard time clarifying that.

I can't remember but I think I applied to an online posting. I was contacted by a contract recruiter, who I didn't know at the time was sourcing other positions for herself which caused a huge break in continuity in my process. I believe she was trying to do the right thing but was bound by the constraints surrounding her in terms of position, level, salary and namely engagement project in need of staffing.

I had a recruiting interview where I was told they were indeed actively looking for candidates for positions to fill but also for a big picture fit (turns out no one downstream could actually speak to the specifics of what exactly that meant). There was never an actual job, level, project or hiring manager identified so it made the process very nebulous (which, if you are in that business, you know its completely ineffective).

I had two phone interviews from a manager and senior manager (who's title is now a Director). I was flown in for two onsites, with a friendly, pleasant managing director, and was scheduled to meet with the partner (the one in charge though unfortunately I did not find that out until way too late). He no showed and no called. Then AFTER an offer was actually presented, I was told I had another interview with an engagement employee who needed staff. When I asked if this person could maintain input power for the job or only the project resources, I was sideswiped and told to take the interview seriously?

All the interviews were unstructured and more conversational. Easy to control and navigate, especially having experience as a targeted behavioral interviewer, though the climate, culture and actual work was not represented accurately. The major problem was the timing. I had successfully completed the process and told an offer was in the making. This took over a month and in the meantime had foolishly turned down another offer for a similar job with a competing firm as I was told this was the most people focused firm of the big four (big lie). I was strung along, to keep warm and interested, and when push came to shove started looking for other jobs. When I was finally made an offer a month later, a completely unreasonable start date was posed (at the time I had filled out the application, the date I noted for availability was no longer valid) I was expected to relo (unpaid) 350 miles and start in 10 days.

I was met with irritable resistance and complexity when attempting to negotiate a more appropriate date given the circumstances. I stood my ground and when it was finally worked out, onboarded though scheduled for and attending orientation, was told I was expected to be on client site. I again stood my ground (if you don't get orientation opportunity, you better forget it will ever happen--there are a gazillion new employee requirements and tons of "training") and instead of the project waiting another day (orientation was 2, and I only found out on day 2 I was expected elsewhere but not told) they never-minded me. Super childish and unprofessional however, to my benefit because I explicitly stated that I knew of an engagement (this one) in NB, NJ that would NOT be a good match for me and if they were sourcing for that project, it would be more appropriate for me to self select out. I had to dodge that project 2 more times before I got assigned to it 9 months later. A huge thorn in my side and one I never got over given how dysfunctional I knew the project was.

At the end of the day, I was very sorry I took the job

Interview Question – None--totally conversational. It was neither structured or behavioral. Interview feedback (back to the stakeholders, there's no hiring manager) was informal "sign off" from input from others with little or no stake The entire process needs strategy, organization, structure, standardization, integration and mapping. They go on gut feelings of partner ego which makes the match process grossly negligent and ineffective.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Arduous. I had stated up front that I was looking for 6 figures and when asked what's the lowest in the 90s salary I would accept ( who says this) said 99 (of course). Negotiating the start date was even more of a nightmare given they provided only 10 days from written offer for a no relo job 350 miles away, I stood my ground on ample notice since I was willing to withdraw my acceptance.

New York, NY (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at KPMG in February 2013.

Interview Details The overall hiring process was very quick and straight forward. (Unlike several other firms who made me jump through hoops - hours of personality testing, which makes me think culture fit is all they seem to care about...how is that good for the client? ) At KPMG's management consulting business,I had one interview with HR recruiter, one interview with a Director over the phone and two in-person interviews. Each interview lasted only 30 minutes. Overall it was a positive experience. The people seem to know what they are doing and what/who they are looking for.

Interview Question – Nothing very difficult other than being tested on how sharp I was and if I had the specialized knowledge I claimed on my resume.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Was required to put in my last salary in the formal application, which made me uncomfortable because I did not want to minimize my starting salary. They came in with a few thousand more than my previous base and I negotiated and was given more. I had 3 more interviews lined up with other potential employers so I felt I was in a comfortable place to negotiate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at KPMG

Worked for KPMG? Contribute to the Community!

KPMG Videos

KPMG – Why Work for Us?

Careers with KPMG From career development to global opportunities, KPMG helps connect you to a variety of ways to build the career you've always wanted. You've worked hard. You've planned well. You've developed your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at KPMG Senior Associate interview questions and advice. All 33 interview reviews posted anonymously by KPMG employees and interview candidates.