Liberty Mutual Insurance Interview Questions

Updated 26 Oct 2014

BI Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance in October 2012.

Already upon entering the positive atmosphere between employees was noticeable, while I was waiting in the lounge area, as this division (internal services) had no reception. I was working at a miserable insurance company at that moment, and seeing people joke around almost made me cry :) The interview itself was with IT and Finance PMs, both lovely people. One of them used to be a contractor turned permanent employee, always a good sign. The interview was very fun, both professional question and a fairly deep conversation; we got into topics like unhappiness rates of patent lawyers and some other things that naturally followed my comments about how content people are in that office :)
    I didn't get an offer, as I lacked some of the skills required, but it was one of the most enjoyable interviews. If a role of my caliber would come up again, I would not hesitate to apply. Interestingly, smart senior-level employees at my then-employer were leaving it for Liberty.

Customer Claims Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Applied online, received an email from the hiring recruiter within a couple of days, scheduled a phone interview with that recruiter for the following week. After the phone interview, the recruiter scheduled the in-person interview for the following week. Went in to reception, they called the interviewing manager. The first round of questions was with a team manager and a person who was on the fast track senior training program. After that round of questioning (30-45 minutes) I took a few online skills tests and then I sat with an employee to watch her take a call. Then I met with another team manager to answer more questions (another 30 minutes). That team manager informed me of next steps and advised I would be contacted if they were going to start me in the next training group (over a month from the interview date). I went home, completed a background check through a third party then waited over 3 weeks before getting a call with a job offer.

Interview Questions
    • They were all Situation-Action-Response questions. "Tell me about a time when you dealt with a challenging customer..." etc.   Answer Question
    The recruiter stated that the position started between 35 and 40 a year. The last interviewing manager did not give a range but asked what my salary requirements were. I kept my answer within the starting range and no negotiation took place.

Architect Interview

Long interview process with many people. The whole process took for ever probably 6 weeks or so. Negotiation is very difficult as the company operates based on salary table so they can only offer what the table allows.

take it or leave it

Senior Customer Service Claims Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

Phone interview went well. When I went in for the face interview I met with 2 different managers to interview. Some of the managers are friendly but others you could tell were FAKE

Commercial Claims Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

1st interview was over the phone and took roughly 10-15 minutes asking mostly very general situational questions. 3 days later, I was called to scheduled an interview that took roughly 4 hours. They had me sit with 2 different employees for 10 min each and watch them do their jobs. Then, after about an hour and a half of situational & behavioral questions with 2 supervisors I then had to do a series of computer tests (some timed), consisting of simple math, "what would you do?" type questions, a typing test, a few mock phone calls, (mainly to test listening comprehension and sales ability, even though my particular job has nothing to do with sales), then about 5 days later they called me back in for an hour to meet with a manager who had a few more questions for me, (but it was less rigid and more conversational), and then they had me meet the person who would be my direct supervisor and made me an offer.
    There is also a very involved background check (takes about 2 weeks), due to the nature of the job and having access to people's private information.

Interview Questions
    • Name 3 things that a previous manager(s) has told you about your job performance, good or bad, and what did you learn from it?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. This is what the job offers, take it or leave it. They interviewed 60 people for 6 positions, there was someone else lined up to accept if I declined.

Product Management Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

First round was on campus as my university. It was 45 minutes. Interviewer had about 10 pages of questions and wrote down problem, execution, and result for each one. all behavioral questions

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to analyze data in excel with imperfect data   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Phone interview followed by in person, call shadow. Took about 1 hour. Sit with team lead to see sales style. Overall a nice process. You also write a response to a customer. Smooth

Distribution & Marketing Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Liberty Mutual Insurance.

First Interview was with someone in the Distibution & Marketing Analyst role. Interview was held at my school's career center. Standard behavioral questions, asked me to go over my resume, why I'm interested in Liberty Mutual, why I chose my major/school, all standard stuff

Second round interview was at Liberty Mutual Headquarters in Boston. Interviewed with two managers and had one case interview. The interview with the two managers was again, very standard behavioral questions: tell me a time when you did, asked me about my excel skills, when I've used excel in the past, how familiar I am with using data, and prior instances where I've solved a problem or made a process more efficient.

The case study involved a hypothetical situation regarding two competing companies: Standard "market expansion" type of questions. Given a set of graphs, and asked to calculate profit margins, costs, and profits. Basic algebra skills was all you needed to ace this part

Interview Questions
    • I was not expecting a case study at all and math is my worst subject. The more nervous I got, the more I couldn't seem to get the correct answer   View Answer

Insurance Sales Representative Interview

It is a very difficult interview process. You have to take a profile test. Always answer the questions as if you are self employed business owner. At least 3 interviews to go thru a few levels of management.

Sales Representative Interview

Three interviews, one over the phone, two in-person. It's all behavioral-based interviewing: "tell me about a time when..." They want to get to know you and how you work as a n individual. I've worked in the role for just shy of a year now and there is a high turnover - they need to know you are a self-starter with a strong will to succeed in this business.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you explained something very complicated to someone."   Answer Question
    They set expectations at the beginning, there is no negotiating.