Macquarie Group

Updated 25 Nov 2014

3.1

Risk Management Group Graduate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macquarie Group.

I submitted an online application, and was then invited for a phone interview which lasted for half an hour. I was asked questions such as
    1. Why Macquarie
    2. What do you enjoy doing outside of school and how do you balance your time between co-curriculars and academic work
    3. Why Risk?

I was then invited to a psychometric assessment which was 2.5 hr long and included numerical, verbal, logical and personality tests. I did not pass this stage.

Interview Questions
    • What are the factors involved in the decline of oil prices and what can push them back up?   Answer Question

Market Risk Interview

Online application firstly, very simple. Noticed about phone interview just two days after submitting my application. Phone interview is 30 min and competency based. Followed by one technical question and one brain teaser question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Macquarie Group in November 2014.

Online application followed by phone interview. Then assessment test (nothing to special->SHL like) and then interviews in their office. It was all mostly about my motivation and background check. There were only a few technical questions, which in my opinion were easy.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing special really. Why did you choose your most recent school and major?   Answer Question

Quantitative Research Sell Side Analyst Interview

Send my CV through a senior employee and then contact by the HR to process. Firstly a phone interview by two members of the quantitative research team, followed by an assessment centre consisting of SHL tests and a sales test, and after that a second round f2f interview.

Macquarie Capital Summer Intern Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Macquarie Group.

The phone interview process required the standard competency questions such as: why Macquarie, why MacCap, current affairs etc. Make sure you are clued up with regards to their business structure and also be up to date with current M&As. Similarly, interview included questions on your CV and your successes.

Interview Questions
    • Two people can produce two bikes in two hours. You are in need of of 12 bikes. How many people will it take to produce these 12 bikes in 6 hours?   View Answer

step 1:online application- Submit a cv and cover letter

step 2: telephone interview- It was mostly competency based (why mac? why your degree? etc, and only a few brain teasers)

step 3:assessment center tests (numerical, verbal, logical and personality- i believe they were the standard expected shl tests you see in other banks)

step 4: final round interview (still awaiting details)

ITG Graduate Interview

1st Stage: Review/phone call with HR
    2nd Stage: Meeting with members of business divisions depending on roles available. I had two of these - the BFS one was very informal and easy, FICC one (which was incredibly difficult - they asked me to write code on a whiteboard). Needless to say I took the BFS one.
    3rd Stage: Psychometric testing ("which pattern is next", maths questions, personality questions
    Last stage: Offer

Background checking was outsourced to an incompetent company who asked stupid questions (my reference told me later that all they asked about was my previous salary, which isn't relevant as all IT grads got paid at the same rate) - then HR followed up with decent questions. Hopefully they don't outsource any more.

Interview Questions
    • 2nd stage interview is hard to predict and depends on your manager, you might get someone who deliberately tries to throw you off, or someone who just wants to have a chat.

Psychometric testing - what they are really looking for is how you respond under pressure. If you can't do a question, skip it and go back to it if you have time. They purposefully design the test so you have more questions than you can finish in the allocated time period. The personality section is un-timed but be truthful as the same question is asked in a couple of different ways throughout - but it's pretty obvious what they're looking for (team player, not lazy, etc).
        Answer Question

Credit Risk Intern Interview

Stage 1: Application - CV and Cover letter
    Stage 2: Phone Interview with HR
    Stage 3: Psychometric tests in their London venue: Numerical, Verbal, Inductive Reasoning and Personality
    Stage 4: Final Round Interview with Credit Risk team

Macquarie is pretty quick with their recruitment - I got the phone interview just 2 days after my application.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unusual, however they did ask 2 brainteasers during the phone interview which I didn't expect at this stage. If it takes 2 people 2 hours to build 2 bikes, how many people are needed to build 12 bikes in 6 hours?   View Answers (2)

Intern Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macquarie Group.

1/HR screening, 2/Interview by 2 random ppl in the business, 3/Computer exam (IQ and English skills) ,4/ Interview by division managers

Interviews very straight forward... all typical HR questions...
    Computer exam was tough due to time constraints but they don't expect anymore than average results...

Interview Questions
    No negotiation as an intern you take it or leave it...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

First round: 15min phone interview, asked standard competency questions e.g. Why Macquarie, why MacCap? Also asked two numerical questions, the cake one shown below and one other. Received email confirming I was through to next round

Second round: 4 tests (numerical, verbal and logical reasoning & personality questionnaire at their London office. Took 2.5 hours approx. SHL tests. Received call to say I was through to final round. Now awaiting final interview.

Interview Questions
    • Do yo know about any recent deals Macquarie have been involved in?   Answer Question