Macquarie Group

168 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Macquarie Capital Summer Intern Interview

Macquarie Capital Summer Intern

I applied through another source and interviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview Details The phone interview process required the standard competency questions such as: why Macquarie, why MacCap, current affairs etc. Make sure you are clued up with regards to their business structure and also be up to date with current M&As. Similarly, interview included questions on your CV and your successes.

Interview Question – Two people can produce two bikes in two hours. You are in need of of 12 bikes. How many people will it take to produce these 12 bikes in 6 hours?   View Answer

Interview Details step 1:online application- Submit a cv and cover letter

step 2: telephone interview- It was mostly competency based (why mac? why your degree? etc, and only a few brain teasers)

step 3:assessment center tests (numerical, verbal, logical and personality- i believe they were the standard expected shl tests you see in other banks)

step 4: final round interview (still awaiting details)

Interview Question – Why Macquarie?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

ITG Graduate Interview

ITG Graduate

Interview Details 1st Stage: Review/phone call with HR
2nd Stage: Meeting with members of business divisions depending on roles available. I had two of these - the BFS one was very informal and easy, FICC one (which was incredibly difficult - they asked me to write code on a whiteboard). Needless to say I took the BFS one.
3rd Stage: Psychometric testing ("which pattern is next", maths questions, personality questions
Last stage: Offer

Background checking was outsourced to an incompetent company who asked stupid questions (my reference told me later that all they asked about was my previous salary, which isn't relevant as all IT grads got paid at the same rate) - then HR followed up with decent questions. Hopefully they don't outsource any more.

Interview Question – 2nd stage interview is hard to predict and depends on your manager, you might get someone who deliberately tries to throw you off, or someone who just wants to have a chat.

Psychometric testing - what they are really looking for is how you respond under pressure. If you can't do a question, skip it and go back to it if you have time. They purposefully design the test so you have more questions than you can finish in the allocated time period. The personality section is un-timed but be truthful as the same question is asked in a couple of different ways throughout - but it's pretty obvious what they're looking for (team player, not lazy, etc).
  Answer Question

Credit Risk Intern Interview

Credit Risk Intern

Interview Details Stage 1: Application - CV and Cover letter
Stage 2: Phone Interview with HR
Stage 3: Psychometric tests in their London venue: Numerical, Verbal, Inductive Reasoning and Personality
Stage 4: Final Round Interview with Credit Risk team

Macquarie is pretty quick with their recruitment - I got the phone interview just 2 days after my application.

Interview Question – Nothing too unusual, however they did ask 2 brainteasers during the phone interview which I didn't expect at this stage. If it takes 2 people 2 hours to build 2 bikes, how many people are needed to build 12 bikes in 6 hours?   View Answer

Intern Software Developer Interview

Intern Software Developer

I applied online and interviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview Details 1/HR screening, 2/Interview by 2 random ppl in the business, 3/Computer exam (IQ and English skills) ,4/ Interview by division managers

Interviews very straight forward... all typical HR questions...
Computer exam was tough due to time constraints but they don't expect anymore than average results...

Interview Question – Computer exam   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as an intern you take it or leave it...

Interviewed at Macquarie Group

Interview Details First round: 15min phone interview, asked standard competency questions e.g. Why Macquarie, why MacCap? Also asked two numerical questions, the cake one shown below and one other. Received email confirming I was through to next round

Second round: 4 tests (numerical, verbal and logical reasoning & personality questionnaire at their London office. Took 2.5 hours approx. SHL tests. Received call to say I was through to final round. Now awaiting final interview.

Interview Question – Do yo know about any recent deals Macquarie have been involved in?   Answer Question

I applied online and interviewed at Macquarie Group.

Interview Details Applied online, only required c.v and cover letter. Had a phone interview and got through to the next stage (still to come). The phone interview lasted 30 mins, the woman was very friendly. Questions included why Macquarie, why FICC etc, but also why my degree/past experience is relevant to a job in investment banking, when have I been criticized and what have I done since and then some brainteasers at the end.

Interview Question – Brain teasers at the end as they were unexpected from a phone interview: One was a cook can make 2 large cakes per hour or 20 small cakes. We have the kitchen for 3 hours and need 20 large cakes and 220 small cakes. How many cooks do we need?   View Answers (2)

Senior Advisor Interview

Senior Advisor

Interviewed at Macquarie Group

Interview Details Very protracted. Four rounds plus half of a day of psych testing.

Interview Question – Are you afraid of tall women?   View Answer

London, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macquarie Group in December 2011.

Interview Details First round was a basic competency interview on the phone with a member of HR, questions included why Macquarie, tell me about yourself. There were also some basic brainteasers questions like a lilypad doubles in size each day. In 28 days, the lilypad will cover the entire pond. In How many days will the pond be half covered?

Interview Question – A lilypad doubles in size each day. In 28 days, the lilypad will cover the entire pond. In How many days will the pond be half covered?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

London, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macquarie Group in February 2011.

Interview Details First round telephone interview with HR: fairly straightforward consisting of "tell me about yourself" type questions and examples of leadership, working under pressure etc. Make sure you have these examples prepared.

Second round AC: in London offices. Around 4 hours consisting of computer-based tests on verbal reasoning, numerical skills and psychometric assessment.

Final Interview: 2 interviews. First with Senior VP and Associate Director. Very relaxed, cracked jokes and barely touched on technical stuff. Much more of a "do we like you"/airport test style interview. BUT: Varies a lot from team to team. Other candidates in other teams had far more technical interviews.
Interview process seems quite ad-hoc. While working there, interviewees and would be waiting and team MD would come and ask any two members who are free to go and interview - i.e. not very well planned. Other candidates taken on tour of office during interview.

Second interview was with Analyst and Associate. Slightly more technical but nothing too difficult - no maths. etc.

Interview Question – Why Macquarie?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – na

Worked for Macquarie Group? Contribute to the Community!