Macquarie Group Interview Questions

Updated 11 Oct 2014
Updated 11 Oct 2014

3.1

Quantitative Research Sell Side Analyst Interview

Send my CV through a senior employee and then contact by the HR to process. Firstly a phone interview by two members of the quantitative research team, followed by an assessment centre consisting of SHL tests and a sales test, and after that a second round f2f interview.

Macquarie Capital Summer Intern Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at Macquarie Group.

The phone interview process required the standard competency questions such as: why Macquarie, why MacCap, current affairs etc. Make sure you are clued up with regards to their business structure and also be up to date with current M&As. Similarly, interview included questions on your CV and your successes.

Interview Questions
    • Two people can produce two bikes in two hours. You are in need of of 12 bikes. How many people will it take to produce these 12 bikes in 6 hours?   View Answer

step 1:online application- Submit a cv and cover letter

step 2: telephone interview- It was mostly competency based (why mac? why your degree? etc, and only a few brain teasers)

step 3:assessment center tests (numerical, verbal, logical and personality- i believe they were the standard expected shl tests you see in other banks)

step 4: final round interview (still awaiting details)

ITG Graduate Interview

1st Stage: Review/phone call with HR
    2nd Stage: Meeting with members of business divisions depending on roles available. I had two of these - the BFS one was very informal and easy, FICC one (which was incredibly difficult - they asked me to write code on a whiteboard). Needless to say I took the BFS one.
    3rd Stage: Psychometric testing ("which pattern is next", maths questions, personality questions
    Last stage: Offer

Background checking was outsourced to an incompetent company who asked stupid questions (my reference told me later that all they asked about was my previous salary, which isn't relevant as all IT grads got paid at the same rate) - then HR followed up with decent questions. Hopefully they don't outsource any more.

Interview Questions
    • 2nd stage interview is hard to predict and depends on your manager, you might get someone who deliberately tries to throw you off, or someone who just wants to have a chat.

Psychometric testing - what they are really looking for is how you respond under pressure. If you can't do a question, skip it and go back to it if you have time. They purposefully design the test so you have more questions than you can finish in the allocated time period. The personality section is un-timed but be truthful as the same question is asked in a couple of different ways throughout - but it's pretty obvious what they're looking for (team player, not lazy, etc).
        Answer Question

Credit Risk Intern Interview

Stage 1: Application - CV and Cover letter
    Stage 2: Phone Interview with HR
    Stage 3: Psychometric tests in their London venue: Numerical, Verbal, Inductive Reasoning and Personality
    Stage 4: Final Round Interview with Credit Risk team

Macquarie is pretty quick with their recruitment - I got the phone interview just 2 days after my application.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too unusual, however they did ask 2 brainteasers during the phone interview which I didn't expect at this stage. If it takes 2 people 2 hours to build 2 bikes, how many people are needed to build 12 bikes in 6 hours?   View Answer

Intern Software Developer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Macquarie Group.

1/HR screening, 2/Interview by 2 random ppl in the business, 3/Computer exam (IQ and English skills) ,4/ Interview by division managers

Interviews very straight forward... all typical HR questions...
    Computer exam was tough due to time constraints but they don't expect anymore than average results...

Interview Questions
    No negotiation as an intern you take it or leave it...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

First round: 15min phone interview, asked standard competency questions e.g. Why Macquarie, why MacCap? Also asked two numerical questions, the cake one shown below and one other. Received email confirming I was through to next round

Second round: 4 tests (numerical, verbal and logical reasoning & personality questionnaire at their London office. Took 2.5 hours approx. SHL tests. Received call to say I was through to final round. Now awaiting final interview.

Interview Questions
    • Do yo know about any recent deals Macquarie have been involved in?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Macquarie Group.

Applied online, only required c.v and cover letter. Had a phone interview and got through to the next stage (still to come). The phone interview lasted 30 mins, the woman was very friendly. Questions included why Macquarie, why FICC etc, but also why my degree/past experience is relevant to a job in investment banking, when have I been criticized and what have I done since and then some brainteasers at the end.

Interview Questions
    • Brain teasers at the end as they were unexpected from a phone interview: One was a cook can make 2 large cakes per hour or 20 small cakes. We have the kitchen for 3 hours and need 20 large cakes and 220 small cakes. How many cooks do we need?   View Answers (2)

Senior Advisor Interview

Very protracted. Four rounds plus half of a day of psych testing.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Macquarie Group in December 2011.

First round was a basic competency interview on the phone with a member of HR, questions included why Macquarie, tell me about yourself. There were also some basic brainteasers questions like a lilypad doubles in size each day. In 28 days, the lilypad will cover the entire pond. In How many days will the pond be half covered?

Interview Questions
    • A lilypad doubles in size each day. In 28 days, the lilypad will cover the entire pond. In How many days will the pond be half covered?   View Answer