Macy's

Getting the Interview

724 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Macys By Mail, CT (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details First of all, when I got there they were not ready for me. They were not aware that there was an afternoon interview. When my papers were through, which took almost an hour, I was called. Interview went really great. HR advisor asked questions and I answered them all to the best of my knowledge. I had a second interview immediately after that with the department but it was short and she basically offered me the job and told me she would be calling so I could fill out more paperwork.

Interview Question – I can't quite remember the question verbatim but it was asking to explain a time where we witnessed a wrong doing in the work environment and how we handled it.   View Answer

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Online application and then your paperwork is sent through the selection process to a place in Florida. It takes about two weeks before they will send a email to request for you to sign up for an interview slot through an email link. If the email link shows no slots available then you must check that link everyday until one slot becomes available. The system is in real time so if someone cancels on that day you could take their spot.

There are 9 questions based on M.A.G.I.C. an acronym that reflects the selling behaviors you must have to sale at Macy's.
M - Meet and make a Connection: be willing to tell about experiences that you have been able to approach random/unknown people and create a connection with them through asking questions and then be able to create a sale or persuade them to do what you wanted them to do.
A - Ask questions and listen: be willing to demonstrate how you would ask OPEN ENDED questions throughout your selling journey to get the customer to open up and how you would be able to listen to what the customer is really saying in order to capture a sale. For example if a customer wanted pants you would ask about brand, color, style, length, and other details.
G - Give options and advice: be able to tell how your would go above and beyond to give more options to the customers. For example if the customer bought pants you would suggest a top or shoes.
I - Inspire to buy more: be able to tell about experiences that connect to how you could get the customers to come back by getting more info or building a relationship by taking the persons info and calling them on the next sale. And also suggesting other sales within the store.
C - Celebrate the purchase: be able to tell how you would get this person to feel good about the purchase they just made. For example by telling the customers "I think you just found the perfect item for your event come back and tell me how it went."

For each question answer with the structure of the situation, what you did, and how well it turned out.

Interview Question – The last two question vary for every person. Whatever the question answer in the middle never answer with a complete loyalty to one side. For example if they ask do you like detailed work or work that is broad... you give reasons for why both would be good. If they ask do you like to be given direction or have your own control...you answer with reasons why both would be good.   Answer Question

Santa Rosa, CA (US)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details they give you three interviews and are very professional so come in business attire with resume and a pen!

Interview Question – describe the position in detail of what you are going for.   Answer Question

Miami, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in March 2014.

Interview Details Applied then after a couple of days got an email to schedule my interview date. The interview was pretty easy. All you have to do is answer about 10 question mostly about customer service. If you've had a retail sales job before do not stress this interview at all because you'll be able to answer these question easily.

Interview Question – When they asked my about experiences i've had before when this and this occasion happened. I had to make up a story.   Answer Question

Duluth, MN (US)

Interviewed at Macy's

Interview Details The hiring process was fast, easy and kinda lay back. The manager treated me with transparency and professionalism.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Tampa, FL (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in February 2014.

Interview Details They will ask you about why you want to work for Macy's, to talk about a group success and what you did to achieve it/be apart of the success, how you can start a conversation with a stranger, what you would suggest as additional merchandise to a customer, how would you celebrate a sale with a customer, and what's your schedule like and how flexible are you in a retail environment.

Interview Question – How do plan on opening Star Rewards Credit Cards for your customers in order to meet your required goals?   Answer Question

Hayward, CA (US)

I interviewed at Macy's in April 2014.

Interview Details Applied online and received an email for me to schedule my interview date and time (5.30pm). Went to the Macys office 15 mins early and spoke to some kind of a supervisor , it took us 15 mins to finish the interview and go the offer but when I asked the wage :(.

Interview Question – its just basic, common sense and more on for customer service.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – minimum wage..

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Walked in. Talked over my previous positions and what made me tick. After about 10 minutes, they offered me the position. It was all in all, a pretty comfortable interview without any real complications. I would suggest this sort of interview process over and over again. It really helps to boost an applicant's confidence and ego.

Interview Question – What was your toughest time selling something?   Answer Question

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Manager had a bad attitude when she interviewed me. Very unprofessional. I then met with the store manager at the time. He was very nice and professional. He asked me about my goals, school, and why did I choose to apply with the company. The guys at the company are really friendly, some of the women........not so much.

Interview Question – Na   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Interview was the normal questions, e.g. Why would you like to work for Macy's? What would be a weakness of yours?

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you witnessed something that was not right in the workplace.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 724 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.