Macy's

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sale Associate Interview

Sale Associate
Daly City, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in November 2013.

Interview Details To be honest, I haven't been interviewed at this store for the past several years since I have been coming in and out for several years now. However, I remember some of the questions that were asked several years ago.
1) Why do you want to work at Macy's?
2) If you find a problem at work with another co-worker, what would you do?
3) You noticed your co-worker was stealing from the company, what would you do?
4) If you noticed there was a broken elevator and a customer with a wheel chair wants to go up to the next level, what can you do to provide outstanding service?
5) You have a long line during the sale, you have angry customers waiting to be served, what would you do? Would you say something? If so, what?
6) You noticed a customer is acting suspicious, what would you do to prevent theft?

Interview Question – 1) Simple. Just tell them why you want to work at Macys.
2) Talk to your manager or directly talk it out with a co worker and if it doesn't work, discuss this situation with your manager.
3) Let my manager/loss prevention know.
4) Not sure.
5) Thank you for waiting.
6) call LP!
  Answer Question

Planner Interview

Planner
San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Macy's in September 2010.

Interview Details Must apply online for legal reasons, filter thru survey to be approved for interview process, be patient as it takes a few weeks or more for things to process thru the system

Interview Question – Be prepared to give specific examples of successes and challenges   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – A few phone calls between manager and HR

Sales Support Associate Interview

Sales Support Associate
Newark, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Applied online and was notified to make an appointment for interview. The interviewer asked a few basic questions, then offered me the position. I accepted and was set asked to return in a few days to begin training.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to convince someone of an idea you had   Answer Question
  • Describe a time where you caught someone doing something unethical. What did you do?   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Macy's in April 2013.

Interview Details I applied online and had the interview within the same week. The interview process itself was very fast, a total of 15 minutes perhaps. This is not surprising, as there were 4 people for probably the same position behind me. The hiring manager was friendly, but talked very fast. 10 out of 15 minutes total he explained what kind of job sales associates do. This was ok but his text was so memorized that he sounded like a robot.

Interview Question – Name an incident where you prevented something from happening.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Seasonal Sales Associate
San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in October 2013.

Interview Details Online application followed by an e-mail invite a few days later, to schedule an appointment. I chose an interview time and received directions on where to go and what door to knock on for interview but I had no contact name of who I'd meet. The interview started and immediately the interviewer and I had a great vibe and she offered me the option of a higher luxury placement just because of my personality as I have no sales experience. I got the offer within 10mins of interviewing. My interviewer had an amazing personality and allowed me to think about the offer. Then followed up a couple of times to assist in my decision; although I decided to decline, she was very convincing and so amicable that I'm glad I could do it over the phone rather than in person.

Interview Question – What you would do if you caught someone stealing.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The pay is not very competitive and because I had a personal reason come up.

Concord, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

Interview Details Applied online for three different positions at the same location in early August and I got an email saying I was eligible for an interview within a week after. I scheduled for the first available interview time a couple days later and prepped reviewing questions and answers on Glassdoor.
The interview started almost a half hour after the scheduled time, but, overall, the interview went very well. The manager and other staff were very friendly and accommodating and the questions were just as expected based on feedback on Glassdoor.
Unfortunately, I am a full time college student so my schedule didn't match the required shifts for the positions I applied to and I was declined via email a day or two after I met with the manager. Nevertheless, I had a very encouraging experience with Macy's.

Interview Question – Basic retail questions (was only asked a few):
Why Macy's?
How would you begin a conversation with a customer?
How would you upscale a purchase?
  Answer Question

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details I applied online and got an email to schedule an interview 2 days later, I went to the interview 15 minutes early. I sat down with the interviewer and they asked me a couple of situational questions lasting about 5-8 minutes and it was over.

Interview Question – None, just typical situational questions.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Administrative Support Team Interview

Pleasanton, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Macy's in August 2013.

Interview Details I applied on-line on a Thursday and received an e-mail the next day requesting I schedule myself for an interview. The site was very easy and so I scheduled my interview for the following Monday.

My first interview was with the Administrative Support Manager. The questions were in STAR format, which can be difficult if you're not prepared, but the questions asked were very easy. The ASM also went over the job description and that they were looking for someone who could handle the HR and Administrative tasks of the store. The interview went really well and I was asked to come back for a 2nd interview with the HR manager the next day.

My second interview was alright and easier than the first, but I really felt the HR Manager was in no-way as engaging in the interview as the ASM. She was smiling and upbeat the whole time, but I kept getting the sense that she couldn't wait for me to leave. At the end of the interview the HR Manager told me that the hiring decision would be left up to the ASM and I would hear back in a couple days.

Unfortunately, the very next morning I get an automated e-mail saying my application is no longer being considered. I was very disappointed given that I have a Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, work experience in HR Administration, AND I used to work for Macy's back in '05-'06. I guess that wasn't good enough.

Overall, this could have been a positive interview experience, but the automated rejection e-mail was a despicable way to end an interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had a sell a product/idea to a customer.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time you received outstanding customer service.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you encountered another employee giving bad customer service and what did you do?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you had to gather and present information to multiple people.   Answer Question

Flex Team Member/Sales Associate Interview

Fairfield, CA (US)

I applied online and interviewed at Macy's.

Interview Details Submitted application online received an invite to schedule a in-store interview met one on one with a hiring manager for the department and which I applied for. Got offered the position and received a document with my pay rate and position and the job description. I was then told later I would receive a phone call from the HR manager of when training starts . Training is about a few days til a week depending on fast your get through the computer training.

Interview Question – Why did you apply at Macy's?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't given the option of negotiating a pay rate , I was told what my pay rate would be.

On Call Sale Associate Interview

San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Macy's in July 2013.

Interview Details -How would you go about selling macys cards
-How would you help somebody looking to buy a pair of pants
-Describe a time where you had to work in a group to reach a goal
-How would you celebrate a purchase
-What would you do if you saw a associate stealing/ Describe a time in the work place where you saw somebody doing something dishonest

Interview Question – What would you do if you saw a associate stealing / Describe a time in the work place where you saw somebody doing something dishonest   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very simple, Explained the pay, Hours and Benefits.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Macy's

Worked for Macy's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Macy's interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 47 interview reviews posted anonymously by Macy's employees and interview candidates.