Marks & Spencer Interview Questions

Updated 9 Apr 2015
Updated 9 Apr 2015

2.7

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

Interviews was very easy, firstly it was group session which included some activities. Session lasted for about half a day. It was followed by one to one interview which was very easy. basic usual question.

Deli Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Marks & Spencer (Cheshunt, England) in March 2015.

Interview

Online application took me some time to fill in and to go through the different test they send me.nothing difficult,but require patient and maybe use of internet if you are not sure about some answers.than,I get invitation for interview.first,They gave me 5 cards with informations to use for role play.you have to sell,sell,sell...and the key to the success is to smile and be polite for customer,ask the questions,give information's about promotions,deals etc. You do not have to read all information from the cards,just try to be familiar with the products ,and you always can look on the cards when in the role play.SMILE,be friendly because they are☺After,they told me I am successful in the role play and ask me usual interview's questions.Search they website and you find all the answers they want to hear.Tell them how great is they customers' service...

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for us?
      Why do you thing will be good for this position?
      What will you do as a deli counter?read job description!!!!!

1 Answer

Negotiation

I had my holiday booked,and have no problem to negotiate the start day.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marks & Spencer (Exeter, England) in March 2015.

Interview

Very Smooth process, overall 2 weeks, online application is straight forward, and you know straight away if you get an interview is great! The interview itself was extremely laid back and easy if you do your research, the "role play" is nothing to be scared of, I just had to help find an alternative shirt to the one which was out of stock and upsale alot! M&S are a tad unreliable to contact and find out info so recommend to keep in contact with school, I phoned up and was offered my induction there and then, though on the day this did not go to plan I have to go again because f a muddle up, but staff are so lovely and seems like a great company so far!

Interview Questions

• "Why do you want to work for M&S?"   1 Answer

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

I applied online. The online process took me around an hour. On the next day I was invited for an interview. I had to bring my ID, National insurance card, etc. The interview was really nice the recruitment team is very friendly. They asked me basic questions like why M&S, why do we need to hire, what's make an unique candidate, about Plan A.

Graduate Food Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in February 2015.

Interview

Range of activities, one group, the rest one-on-one. Interviewers swap around the rooms so you have a different assessor every time. Assessors are all managers in the company and I found all but one to be really friendly. Relatively relaxed atmosphere, tasks are very interesting too. I was given a presentation to prepare prior to the day, the competencies interview was very very long.

Interview Questions

• How do you motivate people that have been in a job/team longer than you to follow your ideas?   Answer Question

Customer Assistant- Temporary Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

The application process was straight enough. I applied online followed by questionnaire which lasted around 30 ish minutes. The questionnaire was mainly about how would you act in different situations with customers. The results were immediate and then had to select the date for interview.
    The interview was of two stages: Role play followed by an interview with the manager.
    In the role play, I was given a list of the menswear (could be anything even foods, ladies wear) like their descriptions, availability of different colors, latest promotions, current stock level etc. I had 10 minutes to have a look about all of them and to makes notes in a paper that they provided.The assessor then comes as a customer and asks questions just like a customer who is unable to find something and help them.
    The success of role play is being calm, welcoming and smiling. It is essential to state the promotional offers and also help a customer (assessor) by saying that a product can be ordered online if it is out of stock. These are the key things what they look for.
    If the role play stage is cleared, then it is an interview with the manager.
    Since, it was very busy times during Christmas, I didn't have a formal interview. I was just asked about my availability and if I had any experience.

Graduate Retail Management Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in January 2015.

Interview

4 stage process: (1) Online application; (2) Online tests, numerical and verbal reasoning; (3) Telephone/video interview; (4) Assessment day.

I had the telephone interview which consisted of standard competency-based questions. As I am aware, the video interview is very similar, however speaking to a blank screen and recording your answers.

The assessment day consisted of a group exercise, a role play, an analytical study and presentation, and finally a one-to-one interview. Took all day, but they provide lunch, refreshments and even pay for travel!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to change a way of working.   Answer Question

Retail Management Grad Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marks & Spencer (London, England) in January 2015.

Interview

Six stages including application form, numerical and verbal reasoning, sotuation judgement test, personality questionnaire, 30 minute telephone interview and 9 to 5 assessment day. The latter consisted of a group exercise, presentation & analysis, role play, competency based interview, lunch and tour of the store. They were very friendly and made me feel at ease. Despite having no background in retail or management, enthusiasm goes a long way.

Interview Questions

• Competition in the retail sector?
      Challenges facing th sector in the next 5 years?
      Why I wanted the job?

Answer Question

Cafe Assistant Interview

Interview

Was asked lots of questions about why I thought I would be good for the role, filled out a 25 question test on food safety concepts (multiple choice) and then scored based on what I got. I got 18/25 and told I had passed, so not sure what the minimum pass rate was.

Interview Questions

• What would one of the downsides be to working at this store?   Answer Question

Was offered a different role instead in the store even though I had been offered the one I came in for. Decided there was a better role in the store for me than the one I came in for.

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview

The whole process took about a week, and I would just like to say that I am 17 and got offered a position so don't be put off if you don't have loads of experience because I certainly don't! I started my application by looking at the M+S careers website to see if any positions were available near me, once I had found a suitable one I was able to begin the lengthy application process. The on-line application consists of 3 main parts; your details, some personality statements where you tell them a bit about yourself by saying how much like you each of the statements is, followed by some animated situations a customer assistant may face each day. It's all quite straightforward but rather time consuming, it takes around 45 minutes to an hour. When all of this has been completed you are told straight away whether you have passed the application. if you have been successful you will be able to book an interview there and then. I did some research into the interview process and found out that there would be 'role play' involved which sounded awful as I had never done anything like it before, so by the time I got to the interview I was very nervous, the interviewer was very sympathetic though and understood it wasn't an easy situation to be in and was very calm and easy to talk too which helped a lot with the nerves. There were two people in the first stage one of which was the interviewer and one who would be sitting there taking notes of the role play. The interviewer explained what was going to happen and what the materials they had given me were. I was then given a little over 5 minutes to read through the information and make some notes (it was more than enough time to be honest) I then arranged the food products spread out a bit so I could take the 'customer' to them, then the second person came back in to make sure I understood everything and then the role play began, mine was about a customer wanting a butter nut squash which was out of stock, so I offered him some substitutions and told him about the range of vegetarian ready meals the company offered. It lasted no more than 5-10 minutes and I was told it went well. I then had to fill out a "what went well/what didn't go well" form while they went to discuss my results. Then they came back in a told me I had passed, we then spent about 25 minutes filling in a load of forms. After which a line manager came in and asked a few basic questions following a sheet she had, this part lasted around 15-20 minutes and then that was it. I received a phone call the next day offering me a position.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want a job in retail and why have you chosen Marks and Spencers?   1 Answer

Received a better offer elsewhere.