Marks & Spencer Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2014
55 interviews

2.6

Customer Assistant At Marks and Spencer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2014.

I went on the marks and spencer website and found a job I wanted to apply for. After filling in my details there were two tests. The questions aren't too difficult and just test your common sense. After passing that I was told straight away I had been successful and got to pick an interview time. The first part of the face to face interview was a role play activity. The interviewer gave me about five cards with information on and then left the room for five minuets. The cards had info on about the delivery service, products list, new range of food etc. The interviewer then came back into the room as the customer and wanted help getting food for a dinner party she was having. Some of the items the customer wanted were sold out, such as the Parma ham but there was another type of ham on the product list so you just suggest that and offer the advantages e.g. It comes with more slices. You just need to make sure you say at least one thing from each of the cards and appear confident. Just pretend you actually are helping a customer and they are not interviewing you. After the role play the interviewer gave me a sheet of paper asking what went well, what went not so well and what I would do differently. This is really good for if you missed anything out in the role play. After that I was left in the room for about 5 mins and a different interviewer came in to ask me questions. They weren't too difficult just things like why m&s, why retail etc. I was then left for another 5 mins and the original interviewer came in with someone else and said I had passed the interview but the job had been put on hold. They said they would ring me in the week if the job became available, otherwise they would keep my details for further jobs. They then took down my details, clothes sizes and photocopy's of documents. They then rang me four days later offering me the job.

Sales Assistant Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2013.

Online questionnaire which was pretty simple and then at the interview you do a role play which varies. You get information to help you and 10 minutes to plan and look over what's been given you and then the interviewer pretends they are a customer.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions just asking about extra hours and availability etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Birmingham, England
    Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in July 2014.

I found the job on M&S website. I did the internet assessment and passed. Next I had an email from them with an interview time for the following afternoon.. The process was extremely quick. The interview takes about an hour. For ten minutes you have to sell the options to the customer. Wear a watch to time yourself. They will tell you at the end of the interview if you passed or failed.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: What can you offer a customer if they do not have fresh buttersquash in stock.? The customer wants to use it in a lasagne sauce.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newcastle, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle, England

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in July 2014.

The whole process took just over a week.I applied online and passed the online assessment which took about half an hour to complete. I was then immediately told I was successful and offered an assessment/interview slot a week later. I was told after the interview that I would find out after 3 days if I'd be offered a position, but they rang and offered me a role the day after... albeit with slightly different hours than the one I'd applied for. Apparently, they had a number of other candidates to interview over the next three days, and the people who get the highest scores in the assessment and interview get offered jobs to fill the vacancies!

The assessment/interview took about an hour. Two members of the recruitment team took me into the training room and immediately went into explaining how the role play assessment would work, i.e. the next time they came into the room, one of them would be playing the part of the customer, the other would be the assessor. My role play exercise was about the "customer" in the fictional store having a dinner party for family that evening, in a rush and needing certain ingredients to cook a main course of chicken, parma ham and red peppers. In the accompanying literature and role-play cards, I was aware that parma ham and red peppers were out of stock, and there were other suggested alternatives listed, some of which were deemed to be more/less suitable and more/less expensive. Also included was info about a new range of entertaining ready-prepared starters/mains/desserts etc., which had a promotion "Save £5 if you spend £30", info about the fictional store's ordering service, including "order online before 7pm and get free nominated day delivery. I had 5 mins to assimilate all this info before the "customer" came into the room.

My advice would be to try and mention/suggest EVERYTHING which is listed as an alternative or different option... you have to throw yourself into the role-play (put aside any embarrassment) and do lots of attentive nodding, agreeing, smiling - go over the top with trying to satisfy the "customer". You can refer to the role-play cards during the exercise & the staff member playing the "customer" was clearly trying to help in a way, by leading her responses to mine in a positive way and helping me to move onto the next suggestion.

After this, they both left the room, leaving me with a form to complete with three sections "what went well, what could have gone better, what would you do differently next time?" - one of them then came to collect this form and left the room again for about 10 mins. It seems clear to me that during this time they were "marking & scoring" my role play and the form I'd completed against their required criteria.

One of them came back in along with a manager who I was introduced to. I was then left with the manager who did a brief, standard interview (following her script) lasting about 10 mins e.g. "what is you previous retail/customer experience/why do you want to work for M & S etc...." She then told me immediately that I'd passed the interview and I would hear back soon if I was successful in being fitted into one of their vacancies.

The other two then came back n the room, told me I'd also passed the role play assessment, then went on to fill in more forms, this time with all my personal details, bank account number for pay etc and took photocopies I'd brought of my proof of NI number, address and right to work in UK (as explained on interview email).

As explained above, they told me I would find out three days later when all the other candidates had been interviewed, but in actual fact I received a phone call the next day offering me a position, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions in my opinion, however like other candidates have suggested, I would advise researching the company a little beforehand in order to be prepared for questions like "why do you want to work for M & S"; "What do you think the Customer Assistant role will entail on a day-to-day basis?" - my advice would be to give answers focusing on the positive aspects of the company, not about what the job will give you (e.g. the hours suit me etc)....   View Answer
    There was no negotiation

Customer Assistant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in June 2014.

After doing the online quizzes, I could select a date and time on the website to be interviewed. For the interview you had to dress in smart-casual, and I believe you had to bring a passport and proof of address. It might also be worth bringing along a copy of your CV.

The interview was split into two parts: roleplay and general questions. For the roleplay I had to sell vegetarian food to a customer as a customer assistant. In it, I mentioned that the customer could use the fictional company's online service as well as delivery, and really tried to sell more to the customer with some related suggestions. It may also help to add a bit of personality in there- I said I was 'vegetarian' (true!) which was relatable in the roleplay. Before the roleplay began, you had 5 minutes to prepare, reading through several sheets. I suggest it would be a good idea to learn more about the company's history, and get a quick look at what they sell and the different categories.

Once the roleplay was over, you spoke to a manager from one of the departments. I suggest you shake hands with them and try to refer to them by name at least once. They ask questions like "Tell me about yourself" and "Why choose M&S?" When answering the questions, try to fit in things M&S uniquely does, such as Plan A.

Interview Questions
    • What made M&S more preferable to you than our competition?   Answer Question

IT Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2012.

2 face to face interviews
    Nothing of interest to add, it was a basic chat, they don't do competency based interviews, it was a lesurely stroll through my CV, description of role, and then asked to relate some of my experience to role, and to expland on my ideas of what I would do in the role.

Was not able to negotiate, was a fixed contract.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kent, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, England

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in October 2010.

Online Test and then interview

Interview Questions
    • No question - had to do a role play, where the interviewer played a customer with a problem   Answer Question
    None

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Eastbourne, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eastbourne, England

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2013.

Application process is online questionnaire based, common sense answers abound. Hint: (This is obviously a customer service role so everything you do or say will need to involve helping the customer directly!!! i.e. Stopping in the middle of something to help and keeping them happy.).

After that, if you got enough of the questions right you'll be asked to select an interview time slot, they'll send you an email to confirm and requests you bring things like a passport, NI number and proof of address.

Interview is 1 on 1 where firstly they go through your details, then ask you to do a role play where you help the interviewer who is taking the role of a customer and you, the assistant. You are presented with a briefing sheet on a fictional scenario in a pretend company (NOT M&S). You then get 5 mins to prepare and take notes about what is listed as out of stock and what is an adequate replacement, Don't worry you can always refer to the briefing sheet during the role play itself, you can hold it during if you want.

You'll probably never look at your notes anyway.
    The scenario is something easy, I only had to sell chicken! It practically sells itself!

After that, you fill in a form about how well you think you did, what was good and what could be better.
    Then you are interviewed by a manager and they ask you fairly standard questions like what experience of customer service you have, why do you want work for M&S and what ambition you have. You are then asked what your preferred department to is if you have not already applied specifically. Then the interview draws to a close when you can ask them any questions you want and you give them your clothes sizes.

Then just sit back, relax, and wait for the phone call the next day that will tell you if you have been successful or not. If you don't get the phone call the next day then ring them ASAP.

If successful, then you will get forms in the post to fill in and bring to your induction day.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at M&S rather than [Other retailer]   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

I passed the online assessment and was able to book my interview date online. Got a call the next day from the company to confirm my attendance. I got an email asking me to prepare for role play and photocopy of documents.

On the day there are 2 interviewers, first interviewer which you will be doing role play with and the second asked formal questions.

Role play consists of interviewer acting the role as customer. You are given 5 minutes to prepare. You get a sheet with jacket, promotions and shoes. You don't need to memorise the sheet as it can be used as prop during role play.

Interviewer walks in asking for certain jacket which was out of stock. Remember to smile! Suggest an alternative! Also remember the promotions on the sheet?! Sell sell sell! Interviewer wants to see if you are going to mention this, I can't stress enough it is very important! Other stuff is common sense, if you can't think of how to reply then the role isn't right for you.

After the interviewer leaves the room again giving you a form to fill out listing what you did well, what went less well and what would you have done differently next time. Yet again common sense.

I think at this point if you fail you don't get to second stage. The second interviewer will just ask the normal questions, why you want to work for them, and sell yourself to them. Why should they hire you?! Just answer as honestly as possible.

After this you are left to wait then you get called in and find out if successful or not. Interview was very easy overall.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any, i was fully prepared. Just remember research their company, why you like to work for them and answers to why should they hire you.   Answer Question
    I was asked if I would be flexible for the job. It was all very simple and explained very well.

Customer Assistant In the Restaurant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Preston, North West England, England
    Anonymous Employee in Preston, North West England, England

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in May 2013.

Online application, quiz and interactive assessment on work situations i.e a customer had complained would you a, b, c or d etc.

At end of assessment if you have passed you can book an interview date there and then

I went for interview - formal

3 parts:

1st: Knowledge based quiz e.g. what chopping board used for fish etc similar to online application quiz

2nd: Interview with manager and supervisor- questions based on experiencing i.e how did you provide excellent customer service in your previous job, how did you deal with a complaint and so on.

3rd: Role play - did not make it to this stage apparently i was 2 marks off on the 2nd part. Not sure what that meant. No explanation of how it was being marked. Interview was confusing as seemed very informal one minute ( discussing icecream :S ) and then very formal the next.

Cannot apply again for 6 months (think this is ridiculous)

Interview Questions
    • Can't remember exactly

Why M&S?
      Examples of customer service, complaint, team work etc.
        Answer Question

Worked for Marks & Spencer? Contribute to the Community!