Marks & Spencer

Getting the Interview

44 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Kent, England

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in October 2010.

Interview Details Online Test and then interview

Interview Question – No question - had to do a role play, where the interviewer played a customer with a problem   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Eastbourne, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2013.

Interview Details Application process is online questionnaire based, common sense answers abound. Hint: (This is obviously a customer service role so everything you do or say will need to involve helping the customer directly!!! i.e. Stopping in the middle of something to help and keeping them happy.).

After that, if you got enough of the questions right you'll be asked to select an interview time slot, they'll send you an email to confirm and requests you bring things like a passport, NI number and proof of address.

Interview is 1 on 1 where firstly they go through your details, then ask you to do a role play where you help the interviewer who is taking the role of a customer and you, the assistant. You are presented with a briefing sheet on a fictional scenario in a pretend company (NOT M&S). You then get 5 mins to prepare and take notes about what is listed as out of stock and what is an adequate replacement, Don't worry you can always refer to the briefing sheet during the role play itself, you can hold it during if you want.

You'll probably never look at your notes anyway.
The scenario is something easy, I only had to sell chicken! It practically sells itself!

After that, you fill in a form about how well you think you did, what was good and what could be better.
Then you are interviewed by a manager and they ask you fairly standard questions like what experience of customer service you have, why do you want work for M&S and what ambition you have. You are then asked what your preferred department to is if you have not already applied specifically. Then the interview draws to a close when you can ask them any questions you want and you give them your clothes sizes.

Then just sit back, relax, and wait for the phone call the next day that will tell you if you have been successful or not. If you don't get the phone call the next day then ring them ASAP.

If successful, then you will get forms in the post to fill in and bring to your induction day.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at M&S rather than [Other retailer]   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Assistant Interview

Sales Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview Details I passed the online assessment and was able to book my interview date online. Got a call the next day from the company to confirm my attendance. I got an email asking me to prepare for role play and photocopy of documents.

On the day there are 2 interviewers, first interviewer which you will be doing role play with and the second asked formal questions.

Role play consists of interviewer acting the role as customer. You are given 5 minutes to prepare. You get a sheet with jacket, promotions and shoes. You don't need to memorise the sheet as it can be used as prop during role play.

Interviewer walks in asking for certain jacket which was out of stock. Remember to smile! Suggest an alternative! Also remember the promotions on the sheet?! Sell sell sell! Interviewer wants to see if you are going to mention this, I can't stress enough it is very important! Other stuff is common sense, if you can't think of how to reply then the role isn't right for you.

After the interviewer leaves the room again giving you a form to fill out listing what you did well, what went less well and what would you have done differently next time. Yet again common sense.

I think at this point if you fail you don't get to second stage. The second interviewer will just ask the normal questions, why you want to work for them, and sell yourself to them. Why should they hire you?! Just answer as honestly as possible.

After this you are left to wait then you get called in and find out if successful or not. Interview was very easy overall.

Interview Question – There wasn't any, i was fully prepared. Just remember research their company, why you like to work for them and answers to why should they hire you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was asked if I would be flexible for the job. It was all very simple and explained very well.

Sales Assistant Interview

Interviewed at Marks & Spencer

Interview Details Quite straight forward

Reason for Declining – No definition of hours to be worked as it varies from week to week therefore child are would be nightmare. Also heard staff complaining about the conditions and way they were being treated .

Customer Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Marks & Spencer.

Interview Details ok so i passed the online assesment with m&s then booked a slot time for interview/assesment got to m&s a lady form the clothing department explained that she was doing the role play with me she left the room and i had 5 minutes to read the information, i was playing the role of an assistant a customer came in the store with a jacket she bought for an interview it was too big and needed to exchange it but there wasn't the size she was after i had to find a solution. anyway finished that part was sent out with a sheet asking what i thought went well and what didn't, next i had the interview with the manager basically she had a sheet with 10 questions on and i had to explain in detail mostly about retail but some about m&s. once that was over i was sent back out to wait while the manager and the lady discussed my interview i was called back in and told by the lady not the manager id passed very pleased until i was told id be put into a system and compared to the 2 top interviews they had by a point scoring system and if my points were higher i would get one of the two positions available!!. Ok i thought wait a minute you never said anything about this at the beginning then i noticed the two she was talking about must have already got the jobs because on the side i see there signed contracts. she explained she would do it and if i got the job she would ring me if i never then because i passed everything i would get a phone call for the christmas vacancy!!. i was shocked to say the least why interview me for jobs that had already been taken. anyway the way they went about it all was so unprofessional.

Interview Question – i was asked 10 questions.   Answer Question

M&S.com Graduate Schemee Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in February 2013.

Interview Details Very thorough process, including preparing a presentation / case-study. One on one interview, group exercise and analyical case. Calm

Interview Question – What would you say was your biggest failure?   Answer Question

Stock Movement Assistant Interview

Weymouth, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2013.

Interview Details It all started after an intuitive check on M&S site, where i've found one available position, that wasn't posted anywhere else that i know. Well, i've started my application process, and it was a long and often dull round around the same questions. I've managed to get past the first part, and then the second part, and the third (and interactive) part. After that, i was shockingly surprised when i've found out that i could book an interview for the day after, in the morning, which i did. I've arrived on time and met with a manager that did not pay that much attention to me, and only wanted to know if i had the required documents. After a 2 minutes conversation she left me with this sadistic little guy that showed me around the house. He made what he could to make me feel uncomfortable with the prospect of getting the job. He did his best to highlight the worst aspects of the job, always with a smile on his face and with a kind of a defying attitude. Through his description i've understood that the job was about total slavery in unconvincing conditions of health and security. A surprise really, considering the status of the company and the appearance of the shopping floors. But don't get fooled! After that stroll around the house, i've also learned that was i expected to take care of almost everything, from repairing chairs, to repairing tills, to freezer temperature maintenance in the middle of night, plus the real duties of stock movement, with an offer that considered totally random shifts. After that walk around, we've got back into a room where i had to play a little silly game where i would simulate segregation of products between stacks, with an obvious lack of sense of criteria, because i didn't knew enough about it, at that point. Then the manager walked in and i was asked 5 and very ambiguous questions, about "real" situations and how i would deal with them. After this, i was asked to leave for a coffee and i've been called a bit later to the same meeting room where the manager was waiting for me. We've talked for a bit and clearly agreed that the position didn't suit me, and the manager offered to contact me when more adequate positions get available, anytime soon. And that was it.

Interview Question – All the questions were rather difficult cos' they leaded with unfolding and conflicting situations so i can't really pick one. There's nothing i cay say that can help someone leading with that.   View Answer

Costumer Assistant Deli Interview

Ellesmere Port, England

I applied online - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in July 2012.

Interview Details 1-Test online: personality, food Knowledge
2- Assestment day: -same test of food Knoledge
                                       - Role play: help a costumer with a party.
                                       - Typical interview questions

Be youself, confident. The most important thing is the costumer and deal with their needs.

Interview Question – Why do you want wiht us?   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Customer Service Assistant
Andover, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in April 2011.

Interview Details Very simple interview of what I can remember followed by a role play which is very straight forward.

Interview Question – Asking for an item in the role play that you don't have.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None at all

Very Easy Interview

Bristol, England

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2012.

Interview Details a role play on the day.

Interview Question – the customer would like advice on furniture however it was not available, what would you do   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiate shift & hours

Interviews for Top Jobs at Marks & Spencer

Worked for Marks & Spencer? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marks & Spencer interview questions and advice. All 44 interview reviews are posted anonymously by Marks & Spencer employees and interview candidates.