Marks & Spencer Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014
Updated 16 Oct 2014

2.7

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in October 2014.

Applied online, told I was successful straight after application then told when they had job interviews available online with time slots that you can book. However, they are first come first serve and go quickly. I then had the interview with an employee there where I was immediately told that the job had been taken but there was the option to still do an interview without having to complete the process of interview again if there was a new position available. So, I decided to go ahead with the interview where I had a role play activity to do where I was given some information about a M&S style business and had to memorise the information then preform the role play with the interviewer. Then you are given the chance to review yourself with what you did well and what went wrong.
    I failed the role play because I missed a small detail but they said they were overall impressed by my role play. Due to me failing the role play that didn't continue to interview questions. However, they were still very kind and friendly and offered me lots of feedback.

Interview Questions
    • Being asked information for the role play and having misread it.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2014.

Filled out a basic application, Passed the online assessments, the main one took about 45 minutes to do, it would take people varying amounts of time to do the assessments, it just happened to take me quite a while because I wanted to be sure to do it right. You get a response of an interview time and date if you're successful.

The interview is up to an hour, mine was around 45 minutes. I had to do a role play with an interviewer followed by a one-to-one interview (where they ask you questions) with the line manager.

The role play is designed to assess your abilities in how you would provide customer service. The role play is basically where you play the role of a customer assistant and your interviewer will play the role of customer, You'll be provided with all the information you would need for the role play on laminated cards. The interviewer gave me about five cards with information on and then left the room for five minutes for me to read through all the information. The cards had info on about the delivery services, product list (mine was to do with men's button shirts, the kind you'd wear as part of a suit) etc. The interviewer then came back into the room as a customer needing help with something. My customer scenario was a lady looking to get a buttoned shirt as a birthday present for her Dad.

The advice I'd give - as long as you smile and always be helpful towards the customer, you should be fine. Some of the cards have offers and promotions on them, make sure you tell the customer about these! Utilize all the information given to you, go the extra mile for the customer by letting them know all these things.

The interviewer will then give you a feedback sheet where you write about how you did in the role play, they will leave the room and the line manager will come in to do the one-to-one interview that. I don't remember all the questions I was asked, but these were some of them, all together there must have been about 10 questions.

Interview Questions
    Got a phone call 2 days after my interview, they offered me a permanent weekend position assuring me there would be many opportunities for extra hours. Went in to sign contract and fill in paperwork later in the week, then completed 2 training days before starting my regular hours the following week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stoke-on-Trent, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stoke-on-Trent, England

I applied online – interviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2014.

A friend passed the online interview, then went for the next interview. Did the role play etc. Was told she hadn't got the position but would she like some feedback. She was then told she was one of the most polite people he had interviewed in the last 3 weeks/months but was not 'aggressive enough' but to re-apply again in 6 months time. Why does he think she will be more aggressive by then? I would prefer to be served/helped by a polite person than an aggressive one. unbelievable

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in September 2014.

Brought up to a tiny room, then given a minute to prepare for a role play. Happened so fast, i mentioned everything on the cards, offered alternative to the desired product, mentioned ordering online and going to other stored. Upsold through 3 for 2 and drinks and dessert. I mentioned everything yet didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • The whole experience was difficult, i didnt even get to the personal questions.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2014.

I applied online, where I went through a series of general questions (which included references, address, etc.). Then you go onto a questionnaire, that is just common sense. For example, it will say "You are...always on time" and then give you the different options of how you can respond to that answer, there is about 60 questions and it took me a bit longer than 10 minutes.
    You then continue onto a more interactive questionnaire, that gives you situations that could happen in store and you have to answer them how you would try and solve them if you were working there.
    Once I finished my application, I got an e-mail almost immediately, telling me that I had passed the assessments and for me too choose an interview slot. Once I had chosen an interview slot, they sent me an e-mail explaining what I would need to bring to the interview and where it would be.
    On the day of the interview, I was shown into the staff room (or what looked like it) and was sat down, while the other interview was finishing. The staff room was very lovely and lively and the staff seemed to get on together really well. Then a lady took me into a room, where she explained that she was going to be doing a role play and what I had to do. She gave me a pack of resources and left the room for 5 minutes. TIP: Don't think that you'll have extra time, make sure to try and read the information as fast as you can because otherwise you will miss things out. She came back in and was immediately playing the role of the customer. It took us about 5 minutes and it went pretty well. Make sure you smile, keep eye contact and always look and speak happy. After that she gave me a sheet that said: "What went well?", "What didn't go so well?" and "What would you do next time to improve?" after I completed that she went out of the room, and a manager soon followed after.
    She talked to me and asked me the pretty obvious interview questions, she was very nice and friendly. I almost forgot it was an interview at one point! They definitely do there best to relax you, and it makes you talk better.
    We then discussed hours, and because I'm at college, it got a bit complicated. I passed the interview and the role play. However, they put my application on hold, while they sorted out the hours that were best for me.
    Good luck, and relax!

Interview Questions
    • What do you think the role of a Customer Assistant is?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stevenage, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in August 2014.

Application was very easy, took around 40 - 60 minutes, consisted of two assessments once completed I was then told I had been successful and asked to pick an interview slot.

The interview consisted of a role play activity where I was left in a room for five minutes with some sheets containing products, offers and delivery options. Another member of staff then entered the room as the customer to be served by me (using the information giving).

I was then left in the room for around five minutes until a manager entered the room and asked me some common interview questions, and then again I was left in the room.

Shortly after the questions a member of staff came back into the room and informed me I had been successful, and I was needed to attended induction the following week.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say you would like the most and least about working here?   View Answer
    No negotiation, i was asked what hours I would like to which I answered full time. I was offered a 36 hour contract.

Customer Assistant At Marks and Spencer Interview

I went on the marks and spencer website and found a job I wanted to apply for. After filling in my details there were two tests. The questions aren't too difficult and just test your common sense. After passing that I was told straight away I had been successful and got to pick an interview time. The first part of the face to face interview was a role play activity. The interviewer gave me about five cards with information on and then left the room for five minuets. The cards had info on about the delivery service, products list, new range of food etc. The interviewer then came back into the room as the customer and wanted help getting food for a dinner party she was having. Some of the items the customer wanted were sold out, such as the Parma ham but there was another type of ham on the product list so you just suggest that and offer the advantages e.g. It comes with more slices. You just need to make sure you say at least one thing from each of the cards and appear confident. Just pretend you actually are helping a customer and they are not interviewing you. After the role play the interviewer gave me a sheet of paper asking what went well, what went not so well and what I would do differently. This is really good for if you missed anything out in the role play. After that I was left in the room for about 5 mins and a different interviewer came in to ask me questions. They weren't too difficult just things like why m&s, why retail etc. I was then left for another 5 mins and the original interviewer came in with someone else and said I had passed the interview but the job had been put on hold. They said they would ring me in the week if the job became available, otherwise they would keep my details for further jobs. They then took down my details, clothes sizes and photocopy's of documents. They then rang me four days later offering me the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newcastle, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in July 2014.

The whole process took just over a week.I applied online and passed the online assessment which took about half an hour to complete. I was then immediately told I was successful and offered an assessment/interview slot a week later. I was told after the interview that I would find out after 3 days if I'd be offered a position, but they rang and offered me a role the day after... albeit with slightly different hours than the one I'd applied for. Apparently, they had a number of other candidates to interview over the next three days, and the people who get the highest scores in the assessment and interview get offered jobs to fill the vacancies!

The assessment/interview took about an hour. Two members of the recruitment team took me into the training room and immediately went into explaining how the role play assessment would work, i.e. the next time they came into the room, one of them would be playing the part of the customer, the other would be the assessor. My role play exercise was about the "customer" in the fictional store having a dinner party for family that evening, in a rush and needing certain ingredients to cook a main course of chicken, parma ham and red peppers. In the accompanying literature and role-play cards, I was aware that parma ham and red peppers were out of stock, and there were other suggested alternatives listed, some of which were deemed to be more/less suitable and more/less expensive. Also included was info about a new range of entertaining ready-prepared starters/mains/desserts etc., which had a promotion "Save £5 if you spend £30", info about the fictional store's ordering service, including "order online before 7pm and get free nominated day delivery. I had 5 mins to assimilate all this info before the "customer" came into the room.

My advice would be to try and mention/suggest EVERYTHING which is listed as an alternative or different option... you have to throw yourself into the role-play (put aside any embarrassment) and do lots of attentive nodding, agreeing, smiling - go over the top with trying to satisfy the "customer". You can refer to the role-play cards during the exercise & the staff member playing the "customer" was clearly trying to help in a way, by leading her responses to mine in a positive way and helping me to move onto the next suggestion.

After this, they both left the room, leaving me with a form to complete with three sections "what went well, what could have gone better, what would you do differently next time?" - one of them then came to collect this form and left the room again for about 10 mins. It seems clear to me that during this time they were "marking & scoring" my role play and the form I'd completed against their required criteria.

One of them came back in along with a manager who I was introduced to. I was then left with the manager who did a brief, standard interview (following her script) lasting about 10 mins e.g. "what is you previous retail/customer experience/why do you want to work for M & S etc...." She then told me immediately that I'd passed the interview and I would hear back soon if I was successful in being fitted into one of their vacancies.

The other two then came back n the room, told me I'd also passed the role play assessment, then went on to fill in more forms, this time with all my personal details, bank account number for pay etc and took photocopies I'd brought of my proof of NI number, address and right to work in UK (as explained on interview email).

As explained above, they told me I would find out three days later when all the other candidates had been interviewed, but in actual fact I received a phone call the next day offering me a position, which I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected questions in my opinion, however like other candidates have suggested, I would advise researching the company a little beforehand in order to be prepared for questions like "why do you want to work for M & S"; "What do you think the Customer Assistant role will entail on a day-to-day basis?" - my advice would be to give answers focusing on the positive aspects of the company, not about what the job will give you (e.g. the hours suit me etc)....   View Answer
    There was no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in July 2014.

I found the job on M&S website. I did the internet assessment and passed. Next I had an email from them with an interview time for the following afternoon.. The process was extremely quick. The interview takes about an hour. For ten minutes you have to sell the options to the customer. Wear a watch to time yourself. They will tell you at the end of the interview if you passed or failed.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question: What can you offer a customer if they do not have fresh buttersquash in stock.? The customer wants to use it in a lasagne sauce.   View Answer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in July 2014.

I had applied online in July and had to do an online questionnaire which then determined if you would go on to an interview or not. I passed this in the same day and booked my interview for 2 days after, it was an interview for an hour and I had to do a role play with the interviewer while the other wrote, I was given information on a fictional store and had to sell to and help out a customer, it was a bit hard but i got through it all though I kept on repeating my self (My downfall) after that the interviewers left the room and then another interviewer probably a manger cam in and then asked me some question, why do you want to work for M&S etc. it went really well and she was very surprised by my answers, they then left the room again and I was in there for a good 10 minutes, they later came in and said I wasn't successful. I was just annoyed that I spent an hour of my life in a really hot room and didn't end up getting the job