Marks & Spencer

Updated 18 Feb 2015
Updated 18 Feb 2015

2.7

Customer Service Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer.

I applied online. The online process took me around an hour. On the next day I was invited for an interview. I had to bring my ID, National insurance card, etc. The interview was really nice the recruitment team is very friendly. They asked me basic questions like why M&S, why do we need to hire, what's make an unique candidate, about Plan A.

Customer Assistant- Temporary Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer.

The application process was straight enough. I applied online followed by questionnaire which lasted around 30 ish minutes. The questionnaire was mainly about how would you act in different situations with customers. The results were immediate and then had to select the date for interview.
    The interview was of two stages: Role play followed by an interview with the manager.
    In the role play, I was given a list of the menswear (could be anything even foods, ladies wear) like their descriptions, availability of different colors, latest promotions, current stock level etc. I had 10 minutes to have a look about all of them and to makes notes in a paper that they provided.The assessor then comes as a customer and asks questions just like a customer who is unable to find something and help them.
    The success of role play is being calm, welcoming and smiling. It is essential to state the promotional offers and also help a customer (assessor) by saying that a product can be ordered online if it is out of stock. These are the key things what they look for.
    If the role play stage is cleared, then it is an interview with the manager.
    Since, it was very busy times during Christmas, I didn't have a formal interview. I was just asked about my availability and if I had any experience.

Graduate Retail Management Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in January 2015.

4 stage process: (1) Online application; (2) Online tests, numerical and verbal reasoning; (3) Telephone/video interview; (4) Assessment day.

I had the telephone interview which consisted of standard competency-based questions. As I am aware, the video interview is very similar, however speaking to a blank screen and recording your answers.

The assessment day consisted of a group exercise, a role play, an analytical study and presentation, and finally a one-to-one interview. Took all day, but they provide lunch, refreshments and even pay for travel!

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to change a way of working.   Answer Question

Retail Management Grad Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in January 2015.

Six stages including application form, numerical and verbal reasoning, sotuation judgement test, personality questionnaire, 30 minute telephone interview and 9 to 5 assessment day. The latter consisted of a group exercise, presentation & analysis, role play, competency based interview, lunch and tour of the store. They were very friendly and made me feel at ease. Despite having no background in retail or management, enthusiasm goes a long way.

Interview Questions
    • Competition in the retail sector?
      Challenges facing th sector in the next 5 years?
      Why I wanted the job?

Answer Question

Cafe Assistant Interview

Was asked lots of questions about why I thought I would be good for the role, filled out a 25 question test on food safety concepts (multiple choice) and then scored based on what I got. I got 18/25 and told I had passed, so not sure what the minimum pass rate was.

Interview Questions
    • What would one of the downsides be to working at this store?   Answer Question

Was offered a different role instead in the store even though I had been offered the one I came in for. Decided there was a better role in the store for me than the one I came in for.

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer.

The whole process took about a week, and I would just like to say that I am 17 and got offered a position so don't be put off if you don't have loads of experience because I certainly don't! I started my application by looking at the M+S careers website to see if any positions were available near me, once I had found a suitable one I was able to begin the lengthy application process. The on-line application consists of 3 main parts; your details, some personality statements where you tell them a bit about yourself by saying how much like you each of the statements is, followed by some animated situations a customer assistant may face each day. It's all quite straightforward but rather time consuming, it takes around 45 minutes to an hour. When all of this has been completed you are told straight away whether you have passed the application. if you have been successful you will be able to book an interview there and then. I did some research into the interview process and found out that there would be 'role play' involved which sounded awful as I had never done anything like it before, so by the time I got to the interview I was very nervous, the interviewer was very sympathetic though and understood it wasn't an easy situation to be in and was very calm and easy to talk too which helped a lot with the nerves. There were two people in the first stage one of which was the interviewer and one who would be sitting there taking notes of the role play. The interviewer explained what was going to happen and what the materials they had given me were. I was then given a little over 5 minutes to read through the information and make some notes (it was more than enough time to be honest) I then arranged the food products spread out a bit so I could take the 'customer' to them, then the second person came back in to make sure I understood everything and then the role play began, mine was about a customer wanting a butter nut squash which was out of stock, so I offered him some substitutions and told him about the range of vegetarian ready meals the company offered. It lasted no more than 5-10 minutes and I was told it went well. I then had to fill out a "what went well/what didn't go well" form while they went to discuss my results. Then they came back in a told me I had passed, we then spent about 25 minutes filling in a load of forms. After which a line manager came in and asked a few basic questions following a sheet she had, this part lasted around 15-20 minutes and then that was it. I received a phone call the next day offering me a position.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you want a job in retail and why have you chosen Marks and Spencers?   View Answer

Received a better offer elsewhere.

Customer Assistant Interview

The online application process was a nice and smooth experience. I didn't have any problems with completing the questionnaire and answering the scenario questions. So I passed and was allowed to book an interview.
    On the other hand, the interview process itself was quite stressful. Although I tried to offer alternatives and find the best possible matches for the customer, I wasn’t very persuasive and thus probably didn’t look like a good candidate for them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clacton-on-Sea, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clacton-on-Sea, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

when I applied online I had to go through a choice based questionnaire and place them into how I rate them along with most important least important then a video with what you would do with the given situation in the video this lasted around 40 minutes
    I was then told to pick a date as I had passed the test and it showed a number of dates and I picked one
    On the day of assessment/interview I had to go the information desk and sign in I was then taken upstairs to the waiting room I only waited about 5 minutes before I was invited in once in I was introduced to the 2 ladies who interviewed me and made to feel at ease I was then told I would be doing a role play they left me with the details of the role play which was to do with a lady cooking a vegetarian lasagne and had come in for butternut squash but we were out of stock and I made the suggestion of sweet potato instead and made some suggestions for the other meals and said about new potatoes' going with a certain meal
    I was given a sheet once finished that said what did I do well and why what could of I done better and why
    I was then introduced to the line manager who carried out a very simple interview with the normal questions nothing unexpected

none

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England
    Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England

I applied online – interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

Firstly i applied online and then i was given date to choose. And when i went there first i have to sign in .then the manager came and take me to the room where interview has to be done..i had to do a role play..where the customer want a butter squash and it was out of stock...all i need to do was give him all alternative..tell him about online delivery..and offer him to go and have a looki in other store

Commercial Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England
    Anonymous Employee in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

Initially I was contacted through LinkedIn, this was then followed by an phone interview, very basic, which then led to a mock assessment via email.
    Commercial Analysis with action plan presentation for 90mins, swot plan with 30, 60 & 90 day actions. This is then followed by 30min interview, about previous experience and what you can offer the business.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you give a manager opportunity to fail, when you were briefed that they were a problem.   View Answer