Marks & Spencer

Updated 15 Dec 2014
Updated 15 Dec 2014

2.7

Cafe Assistant Interview

Was asked lots of questions about why I thought I would be good for the role, filled out a 25 question test on food safety concepts (multiple choice) and then scored based on what I got. I got 18/25 and told I had passed, so not sure what the minimum pass rate was.

Interview Questions
    • What would one of the downsides be to working at this store?   Answer Question

Was offered a different role instead in the store even though I had been offered the one I came in for. Decided there was a better role in the store for me than the one I came in for.

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer.

The whole process took about a week, and I would just like to say that I am 17 and got offered a position so don't be put off if you don't have loads of experience because I certainly don't! I started my application by looking at the M+S careers website to see if any positions were available near me, once I had found a suitable one I was able to begin the lengthy application process. The on-line application consists of 3 main parts; your details, some personality statements where you tell them a bit about yourself by saying how much like you each of the statements is, followed by some animated situations a customer assistant may face each day. It's all quite straightforward but rather time consuming, it takes around 45 minutes to an hour. When all of this has been completed you are told straight away whether you have passed the application. if you have been successful you will be able to book an interview there and then. I did some research into the interview process and found out that there would be 'role play' involved which sounded awful as I had never done anything like it before, so by the time I got to the interview I was very nervous, the interviewer was very sympathetic though and understood it wasn't an easy situation to be in and was very calm and easy to talk too which helped a lot with the nerves. There were two people in the first stage one of which was the interviewer and one who would be sitting there taking notes of the role play. The interviewer explained what was going to happen and what the materials they had given me were. I was then given a little over 5 minutes to read through the information and make some notes (it was more than enough time to be honest) I then arranged the food products spread out a bit so I could take the 'customer' to them, then the second person came back in to make sure I understood everything and then the role play began, mine was about a customer wanting a butter nut squash which was out of stock, so I offered him some substitutions and told him about the range of vegetarian ready meals the company offered. It lasted no more than 5-10 minutes and I was told it went well. I then had to fill out a "what went well/what didn't go well" form while they went to discuss my results. Then they came back in a told me I had passed, we then spent about 25 minutes filling in a load of forms. After which a line manager came in and asked a few basic questions following a sheet she had, this part lasted around 15-20 minutes and then that was it. I received a phone call the next day offering me a position.

Interview Questions
    • What makes you want a job in retail and why have you chosen Marks and Spencers?   View Answer

Received a better offer elsewhere.

Customer Assistant Interview

The online application process was a nice and smooth experience. I didn't have any problems with completing the questionnaire and answering the scenario questions. So I passed and was allowed to book an interview.
    On the other hand, the interview process itself was quite stressful. Although I tried to offer alternatives and find the best possible matches for the customer, I wasn’t very persuasive and thus probably didn’t look like a good candidate for them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clacton-on-Sea, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clacton-on-Sea, England

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

when I applied online I had to go through a choice based questionnaire and place them into how I rate them along with most important least important then a video with what you would do with the given situation in the video this lasted around 40 minutes
    I was then told to pick a date as I had passed the test and it showed a number of dates and I picked one
    On the day of assessment/interview I had to go the information desk and sign in I was then taken upstairs to the waiting room I only waited about 5 minutes before I was invited in once in I was introduced to the 2 ladies who interviewed me and made to feel at ease I was then told I would be doing a role play they left me with the details of the role play which was to do with a lady cooking a vegetarian lasagne and had come in for butternut squash but we were out of stock and I made the suggestion of sweet potato instead and made some suggestions for the other meals and said about new potatoes' going with a certain meal
    I was given a sheet once finished that said what did I do well and why what could of I done better and why
    I was then introduced to the line manager who carried out a very simple interview with the normal questions nothing unexpected

none

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England

I applied online – interviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

Firstly i applied online and then i was given date to choose. And when i went there first i have to sign in .then the manager came and take me to the room where interview has to be done..i had to do a role play..where the customer want a butter squash and it was out of stock...all i need to do was give him all alternative..tell him about online delivery..and offer him to go and have a looki in other store

Commercial Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

Initially I was contacted through LinkedIn, this was then followed by an phone interview, very basic, which then led to a mock assessment via email.
    Commercial Analysis with action plan presentation for 90mins, swot plan with 30, 60 & 90 day actions. This is then followed by 30min interview, about previous experience and what you can offer the business.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you give a manager opportunity to fail, when you were briefed that they were a problem.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Great Yarmouth, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Great Yarmouth, England

I Applied online and was emailed to book an interview straight away. When I arrived, I went to the customer service desk to book in. I was taken to a small room for the interview and asked to do a role-play where the interviewer was the customer, using the sheets provided. Didn't pass this portion of the interview as I didn't try to 'up-sell' to the customer enough. The staff were friendly, but overall not a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Being expected to 'up-sell' the customer as much as a I could...   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in November 2014.

Online questions were pretty basic then you do a role play scenario and i passed successfully and got and interview. The interview was role play where you had 10 mins to read 6 A4 cards with information on a product. The 10 mins seemed to go really fast so quickly read them as I didn't get a chance to read all of them ( that's what i failed with) but u can write notes which the interviewer looks at and u are left alone whilst reading the cards and as soon as the interviewer comes into the room she is acting as a customer it was basis questions about the product shown ( mine was vegetarian foods) and if u are success you the speak to the manager for a 1 tto 1 interview which i did not get though as i didn't read all the cards

Christmas Salesfloor Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tamworth, England
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tamworth, England

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marks & Spencer.

I applied online and was immediately offered an interview slot for the following morning. At the interview I was led into a room and asked some basic questions about my current job, my availability and my education. I was then given 7 sheets of paper and some blank paper to make notes. The paper contained information such as which products were in stock, the phone numbers of local stores and current promotions. I was left alone for about 10 mins and then the role play began. In the role play I had to deal with a customer looking for a a tankini for her daughter but the particular one she wanted wasn't in stock I managed to offer her an alternative but then she asked if there was anyway she could skip the queue cos she was in a rush. I didn't think this would be possible because it would be unfair on other customers however I should have allowed to skip the queue.

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Marks & Spencer in October 2014.

The assessment online was easy to complete and took around 40 minutes. I was then given an option to book an interview - which I booked. Upon arrival, I signed in at the information desk and was given a visitor's badge, and was told to hand it in on the way out. I was then led to the staff room where I waited for about 10 minutes before the interviewer came and led me into an interview room. He explained that the interview would be done wholly by himself as the line manager was not available today. He then told me that I would be taking part in a role play, and gave me information of what the role play involved and information about a fictional store that would be what the role play is based upon. The information included 5 sheets of paper with food items, offers that were available on those items and whether the items were in stock or not. Also included was information about nearby stores and information about the online service that the company provided. The interviewer then told me that I have 5 minutes to read the information and prepare for the role play. It was a lot of information to take in but he reassured me that I did not need to remember everything on the sheets as I could use the sheets in the role play. He then left the room and came back in 5 minutes later, playing the part of a customer. The 'customer' wanted an item that was out of stock, and I offered alternatives that the customer could buy instead, as well as explaining about the special offers that the store had. The role play lasted for about 5 minutes. I was then told that I passed the role play, and had to fill out a sheet about what I did well, didn't do well and what I could have improved on. I realised at that point that I had forgotten to mention the nearby stores that might have the item in stock, as well as the online/delivery service that the company has, and wrote it down. Then, the interviewer read through my answers, acknowledged that I had realised the mistakes I made, and then told me my answers were fine. He then asked me questions about any previous jobs I had, why I wanted to work for M&S, why M&S was a better company to work for than other retailers, and the hours I could do. I applied for a part time, temporary position, but the interviewer explained that occasionally, more hours would be available to work. He then explained that he would ring me a few hours later and tell me if I got the job. I then got a call and was offered a job, which I took.