Marshalls Interview Questions

Updated 16 Oct 2014
Updated 16 Oct 2014

1.9

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Marshalls.

I filled in the in store application and was called into an interview later that afternoon for a few days later. It was a group interview where a little was asked about our backgrounds and I was given the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any. Very simple customer service type questions.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Marshalls in October 2014.

I saw a table with a sign that said "Now Hiring" and a stack of applications so I grabbed one and filled it out. I handed it to the cashier and she said the manager would be in later and he would call me. He called me the next afternoon to schedule an interview. I interviewed with the assistant manager who was very friendly and answered all of my questions. He asked me about my customer service experience and discussed my potential within the company since I have a college degree. I provided him a copy of my resume so he just asked a few questions about the details. I asked him more questions than he asked me. He said I would be a great fit there and I accepted the position at the end of the interview. He said he would call me about a date to start as he had to speak with all three work references that I had provided on my application. The next day, as soon as he had spoken with all of them, we scheduled my employee orientation and I got my work schedule. The process took about 4 days and the interview was really just a smooth conversation.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation- all employees start at the same rate and they are firm about this.

Any Available Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beverly Hills, CA (US)

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Marshalls in September 2014.

It was my first interview EVER so I was really nervous, I practiced what I was going to say after reviewing this website. The Manager was very friendly & talkative. He totally made me feel welcomed & comfortable. We disscussed Marshall's background & briefly talked about the main rules. Honestly guys I only got asked one question. The rest was more of a conversation. He asked me to talk about myself & my futute goals. Very easy, nothing complicated. Just relax & be yourself. Let them see the real you & they'll take you in for that.

Interview Questions
    • Rate the customer from "Least Important" to "Most Important" .
      Customer #1: Walks in store to cool off the heat outside, buys nothing.
      Customer #2: Walks in to buy something refreshing to drink, does not look around at all.
      Customer #3: your regular customer, spends from $500-$1,000
      Customer #4: your true customer, spends from $1,000-$5,000+.
        View Answer
    No negotiations. I'm starting with $9.00 an hour, not bad for me. My first job so I'm not complaining. I was told my salary will increase as I have more time with Marshalls.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Marshalls in September 2014.

I applied online and about a week and a half I received a call from the hiring manager to have an interview the very next day. I was first interviewed by the hiring manager in a pretty informal/unprofessional interview. She told me about what their store was all about and that they were looking for seasonal workers. She asked me a few questions and said that they do 2 interviews, so I will have to interview with one of the store manager right after this one. During the 2nd interview, the manager indicated to me that they do call references and if my reference check out, I will hear from them in 4 days if they decide to hire me. Both interviews lasted around 10 mins each and was fairly informal. I'm still waiting for a reply.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty basic.
      Why do you want to work at Marshalls?
      Tell me about yourself.
      How do you deal with a difficult customer?
      Do you have any questions for me?
        View Answer

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marshalls.

First I filled out the application. Then I got a call back after a few weeks. I had actually forgot I applied for the job by the time they called me back. I set up an interview which went perfectly. He asked me the usual questions. I was studying engineering at the time and he was concerned I was over qualified at the time and was confused as to why I wanted the job, but I was honest and told him I needed money to pay for books and he respected that. I was hired and then started training shortly after the interview. The work environment I actually did not like at all, because everyone was rude. I can understand rude customers, but the employees were rude as well. I'm not saying all Marshalls have rude employees though. It could have just been my location. The store was always a mess too no matter how much you put clothes back where they belong someone always takes it back down and the employees don't put clothes back correctly either. I also worked in the dressing room giving people numbers. I never worked on the register. I was either on the floor organizing or in the dressing room. I liked working in the dressing room because it was quiet and I had control to keep it organized. It was peaceful back there most of the time too.

Interview Questions
    • My unexpected question was when he said "Well I see here your studying engineering? I'm confused as to why do you want to work here?"   View Answer
    I didn't have to negotiate he offered me a slightly higher hourly pay.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Marshalls in August 2014.

The hiring process was a quick one. The hiring manager was on vacation when i turned in my application but, the following monday i got a call reuesting interview for that tuesday . After the interview she said she would be in touch by the next monday. But, the process was even quicker ! She called me back yesterday 8/20 hiring me on to start part time on wednesday .

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question : What makes you team player ? How would you handle disagreement at work ?   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Marshalls.

Had a over the phone interview, interview with the store manager, final with the district manager. After the interview with district manager I thought I had the job. I had to email the HR office 16 days later just find out they moved on to other candidates. Very very unprofessional.

Manager Interview

it was okay from the start. I interviewed with several people aboutmy past. The process wasn't that bad. They do background checks and things like that. I was given an offer within 2 weeks of my first interview.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Marshalls in July 2014.

Short easy interview (more like a conversation) with the assistant manager. Apply in person, it helps a lot. My interviewer was impress when I brought my resume in with me.

Interview Questions

Got a better paying job.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Euless, TX (US)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Euless, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Marshalls.

Two interviews--one with the Store Manager and the second with the Assistant Manager. Both of them were very personable and planning both interviews went very smoothly. The overall perception I got of the office was not very special, just noted that the computers and software in the main office seemed old and outdated.

Interview Questions
    • Don't remember very well as the interview was around two years ago--they were mostly behavioral questions e.g. A time you showed leadership experience, etc.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate much due to it being my first job starting at minimum wage.