MassMutual

Relevance Date Difficulty

Technical Agent Interview

Technical Agent
Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MassMutual in February 2014.

Interview Details You will interview with several key/anchor Agents (high volume brokers) where they will ask you about their current technical issues (printer not working, weird pop-ups, mobile device settings, hard drive replacements). The second round is with a lead tech at the corporate office. After this you will interview with the "General Agent" who is the manager of the entire location (core agency). This is typically over a few days but could be done in one afternoon if they really like you.

Interview Question – Nothing too difficult. All of the very technical/high availability server/equipment is handled by corporate.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I as offered way less than average income, and actually less than my prior income. They knew that I had been unemployed and couldn't decline the low ball offer. Within a few days I found that the prior technical agent made twice what they offered me and left because there was too much work.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at MassMutual in February 2014.

Interview Details I first found out about the opening in November 2013. I was given the name of an HR recruiter to call. I began calling the recruiter to inquire about the position and get my name out there. I had tried to apply online, but kept getting system errors. I finally managed to get my online app to go through in December 2013. In January 2014, I received a call from the recruiter to schedule an appointment for skills testing. This involved reading comprehension, math skills, and a customer service simulator. About three weeks after the testing, I received a call to come in for a one on one interview with the recruiter I had been in contact with. The interview was quick - about 15 minutes or so. I was asked about what I know about the company and also various test taking questions since passing the Series 6 exam is required. About a week later, I received another call to come in for a panel interview with the call center directors. It was with two of the directors, and this interview lasted about 45 minutes. They asked several questions about previous customer service experience and what I know about the company. Two weeks later, I was notified that I wasn't selected for the position.

Interview Question – Most unexpected was probably about test taking ability and study habits in college.   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Intern Interview

Financial Services Professional Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2014.

Interview Details I applied via campus recruiting at my school and got an interview after a quick phone screen. Then I had to simply go in and interview. The interviewer was very nice to me. With the nature of the internship being social, the interview reflected that--very conversational. All the questions were standard internship questions. Nothing too crazy. Make sure that you are good at holding a conversation and you should be fine.

Interview Question – There weren't any particularly difficult questions. Typical Strength, weakness question was present. Describe a time you had to multi-task was also one.   Answer Question

Advisor Interview

Advisor
San Francisco, CA (US)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details A couple of phone conversations and in person conversations

Interview Question – nothing. they will pretty much hire anyone   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not an option

Financial Services Professional Interview

Financial Services Professional
Fort Wayne, IN (US)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details Very easy!

Interview Question – Typical questions for entry level position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Everyone starts out with the same commissions.

Agent Interview

Agent

I applied online and interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details I was contacted by a recruiter after emailing a resume. I had an initial interview by the recruiter and was offered an second interview by a Vice President. If hired, I would work for that Vice President. The Vice President had me fill out an online questionnaire. The questionnaire is there to weed out people who either have no sales/social bones in their body or are not smart enough to indicate it when that is obviously what the test is seeking to measure.
Following a passing score on the questionnaire, I worked part time for several months and subsequently began working full time.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult situation and what you did to overcome it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Everything is negotiable, even when they say it is not.

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative
Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at MassMutual in August 2013.

Interview Details Set up with the office administrator. I had two interviews with one of the two sales managers in the office. The first was a basic interview with generic questions, the second was more oriented towards explaining how the company works and giving me a tour of the office. The pay structure was also explained at the second interview, although it sounded much better than it is in reality.

Interview Question – There were really no difficult questions. The standard questions from any interview were there, such as "where do you see yourself in five years?", etc. In addition, I was given the link to a survey to take that ranks my potential sales ability on a scale of 1-5, with 5 showing great potential as a salesman and 1 implying that maybe you should look for another job. Although the manager said they don't choose to hire or not solely based on that survey, it apparently is given some weight.   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Financial Services Professional

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details Apply. Interview. get a yes or no. Simple

Interview Question – Why do you want to be an agent?   View Answer

Financial Services Representative Interview

Financial Services Representative

I applied through another source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at MassMutual in January 2014.

Interview Details A local agency partner found my resume that I posted on an internet job board and called me. The initial correspondence of a phone call and subsequent text messages were a bit unusual to me (who has no experience in sales). Fresh out of college with my masters, I decided to come in and speak the MassMutual agent. Mostly, the MassMutual agent spoke about how the firm uses the software LEAP and he wants me to sell this product. The agent seemed very excited about this new program (LEAP, which is a multifaceted cash flow manager) and tells me all the great shining things about the products, company, and opportunities (I'd be making a lot of money -- he just didn't say when I would be making that money. Plus, all commission based pay) - rough sledding for a recent college grad with some to pay for a student loan. This informational interview proceeded for about an hour. Overall, I perceived the local agent as a person that is not a greedy insurance peddler, but I only had one meeting. I was offered to start right away.

Interview Question – Very unorthodox meeting (wouldn't even call it an interview). Basically, I was given a brief tutorial about the software and was given tutorial of the agency philosophy. Then, I was asked my thoughts and what did I expect.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – As a graduate student, I had only been out on the market for two weeks, and I was hesitant to take a commission based salary.

Assistant Vice President Marketing Interview

Assistant Vice President Marketing

I applied through another source and interviewed at MassMutual.

Interview Details Know your numbers. Be prepared to show - in metrics fashion - how you achieved objectives.

Interview Question – Why should I choose you when there is the interest we've had?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Salary agreeable