MassMutual Interview Questions

Updated 9 Apr 2015

2.5

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melville, NY (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual (Melville, NY (US)) in July 2014.

Interview

The company contacted me after they found my resume on Monster.com. I scheduled an interview with their recruiting director, Christina, and the interview took roughly an hour. Christina was very well spoken and conducted the interview as a conversation rather than a formal interview. After I finished the initial interview she scheduled me to speak with the branch manager. This portion of the interview mainly consist of me asking the branch manager questions. Both parties were very informative and did not sugar coat what was expected from the position. The whole process took 1-2 weeks.

Interview Questions

Interview

Recruiter called after a distant relative gave them my name. They called, I came in. The experience itself was a bit odd--the recruiter seemed like a nice guy, but honestly a bit "showy." Made MassMutual seem like the biggest dream job there ever was. Told me I could get rich. That kind of stuff. Not a terrible experience, but I just realized during my interview that the culture wasn't for me.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too unexpected; although he was clearly probing me to see how many contacts they could use to try and sell insurance to.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual in June 2014.

Interview

I met a recruiter at a university career fair, he asked for my resume and contacted me a few weeks later. We interviewed at the university then later a couple of times at the office. The interviews were mainly to check for the right personality type. There was also a market survey process that was less stringent that the competitor Northwestern Mutual's. I recommend that if you do not enjoy the market survey 100%, do not take the job. The surveys should literally be the easiest thing in the world. If they stress you out at all, go do something else. Seriously.

Interview Questions

• What does the term "financial" mean to you?   1 Answer

The office was located in a suburb, and I preferred to work in the city (I got another offer from a competitor in the city)

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at MassMutual (Phoenix, AZ (US)).

Interview

Was contacted by a recruiter and had an initial interview with him. 2nd interview was with two different directors. One was not in a good mood and the interview did not go as well as it could have.

Financial Services Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual (Portland, OR (US)).

Interview

Initially I was contacted via LinkedIn. From there I went into the office for a face to face interview with a sales manager. After that there was a second interview where i met with other administrative staffers to assess my personality/suitability. The final interview was with the Agency President. During this meeting I presented a marketing plan as well as a vision statement.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult aspect was constructing a marketing strategy.   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA (US)

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at MassMutual (Sacramento, CA (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

Had initial phone interview, about a week or so later got called in for an in-person interview. Talked a lot about his experience, and why he came to Mass Mutual. (Interviewer had previously spent 18 yrs at Northwestern Mutual and I wanted know why he switched over- I had also interviewed with NWM before). Went over resume. Was sent a behavior/personality test afterwards, came back and we went over my results, got more info about company/job details, and decided not to continue since I would have to stay in my current city and I am looking to relocate.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What made you want to apply here?   Answer Question

Financial Services Professional Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at MassMutual in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted within 2 weeks. I came in for a face to face interview and it was more of me interviewing the employer. I came in again for a second interview and it was basically like I already had the job we just reviewed how commission would go.

Negotiation

No negotiation. 100% commission

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walnut Creek, CA (US)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual (Walnut Creek, CA (US)) in May 2014.

Interview

I serendipitously connected with a mutual friend who closely works with a top-producing adviser. He badgered me for 3-4 months while I was in my last academic year at a CSU to consider a "position" at a financial services firm with which he was contracted. I agreed to meet with the senior partner at a office headquarters for the initial meeting. The meeting lasted for over 30 minutes. The senior partner got to know me, and I became familiarized with MassMutual dynamics. We followed up with a 2nd interview a week or two later. He was happy to endorse me, and set me up with a meeting between myself and my sales manager. I was offered a contract 3 weeks from the initial meeting with the senior partner.

Interview Questions

• What's your biggest weakness?   1 Answer
    • How will you attain your own clients?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negotiable

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

interviewed at MassMutual in April 2014.

Interview

Interview was straight forward, all details about the position and required licensing needed in order to obtain the position, normal questions, why do you want to work here, what are your strengths, what are your weaknesses, gave details about scheduling and what you must know

Interview Questions

• How would you tell someone who has never driven a car how to drive, over the telephone   Answer Question

Exploratory for Actuary Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Springfield, MA (US)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at MassMutual (Springfield, MA (US)).

Interview

very efficient; great candidate experience

Interview Questions

• Focus on technical skills based on the job qualifications   1 Answer

Negotiation

Recruiter was very good to work with. Transparent and genuine. Recruiter prepped me for interviews so I knew who I was speaking with a bit of their background.