McAfee

Updated 24 Oct 2014

2.8

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at McAfee.

I was contacted on LinkedIn for a Sales position. After an initial interview with global/regional HR, I continued to having an interview with local (Cork) HR. After that, I had a short interview (10 min) with the person who was my potential boss/senior manager. I also had to do an intelligence test online. Then I was invited to the Cork office for a full day assessment center, where I did interviews and case interviews.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a situation where you had to persuade someone/a group of people to do something   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McAfee

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Very standard interview questions and process. They ask you what makes you a good sales person, and what your track record is. Where you see yourself in the future. Some standard questions about your general level of IT knowledge. McAfee finds itself very interesting, so they ask you tons of questions about McAfee itself.

Interview Questions
    • Skype interviews for candidates abroad-- and they require you to wear a suit.   View Answers (2)

Didn't feel comfortable during the recruitment process. Very expendable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McAfee in June 2012.

HR Sales Recruiter had an intro level conversation over the phone with me however, weren't very familiar with the details of the position or company. Following our 10min call I was told she'd schedule a meeting with the Hiring Manager (boss to be) however, after 10 business days with no communication I was forced to follow up with the recruiter whom returned my email 24hrs later with an apology, saying she'd take immediate care of it. 5 Business days later with no communication I followed up with the recruiter again and was successful with scheduling the phone interview with the Hiring Manager. This call was on track with expectation, gathering an understanding of the role/company and what the next steps would be. Within 7 days I had a face to face interview with the hiring manager and regional director, receiving an offer letter shortly after.

Interview Questions
    • I've personally been in the space for some time so there were no questions that I had trouble with however, no questions were technical. Everything revolved around my approach with a sales cycle, how I felt about calling into new customers, cold calls, calling executives, etc..   Answer Question
    They initial offer letter was below my expectation so I came back, roughly 15% higher and we met in the middle. Negotiating was very easy and expected from the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at McAfee in April 2012.

What a joke, the "sales manager" who interviewed me was a complete moron. They must have googled for obscure interview questions and had no idea what they were asking me for because I asked them to clarify some of thier questions and they stared at me blankly... Sell me this pencil? Really? 1985 called and they want their interviewing tactics back. Offer received and offer declined. No thanks... I wasn't a fan of thier office layout anyway, terrible cube/pod layout. No privacy or professionalism there and the pay package wasn't competitive.

Interview Questions

Dumb managers, bad interviewing skills, terrible work place environment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX (US)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at McAfee in February 2012.

My interview process with McAfee was one of the worst I've experienced in my professional career. I was initially contacted by an internal recruiter with McAfee regarding inside sales opportunities at their Plano, TX office.
    I knew that McAfee was owned by Intel and wanted some 'big name' experience, so I followed up to express interest in the opportunity. The internal recruiter contacted me and set up a time for a short discussion with her. The discussion was just some simple background screening questions, and from there, the recruiter stated she'd get me connected with an interview for one of the openings. So far so good.
    I had a phone interview with several managers from one of the sales groups within McAfee. The interview went well, but weeks went by with no communication about the interview or what happened with the opening.
    Several weeks later, the recruiter contacted me again stating there was great feedback from my interview and that they would set me up with another phone interview. It turns out the next interview I had was with a manager from a completely different group for a different sales opening.
    Fast forward several weeks, and the same thing happened 2 other times. I had to explain to each manager I had a phone call with that there was no explanation why I was apparently interviewing with numerous groups instead of going through a sequential process with one group for a specific opening.
    Finally, the recruiter calls me and says she'd like to schedule an on-site interview with the Director for a territory within one of the sales segments. The on-site interview went great, but again, I did not receive any feedback from the recruiter. When I followed up after hearing nothing, she said they needed me to speak with one more manager via phone. I assumed (logically) that this would be a final interview for the position I met on-site for. It turned out that this manager was interviewing for a spot on a completely different team!
    Finally, I called the recruiter back and said I was interested in continuing in the interview process for the opening I went on-site for. She assured me that they needed me to speak with one last manager they just hired, but that it was in fact for the 'right' job this time. I reluctantly agreed to the final phone call, during which the manager made numerous promises about salary and how I'd be receiving an offer from their team within 7 days, etc. The time quoted passed, so I followed up again after hearing no updates. The manager finally responded personally and basically said that the opening they thought they'd have on that team was no longer available and wanted to know if I'd be interested in a role on one of their other teams! This was after they verbally told me on the phone they'd be meeting and extending an offer!
    The bottom line is that there is no communication internally amongst the recruiters, managers, and various teams regarding their openings. I felt like since McAfee is owned by Intel and a relatively large company, that they'd have a structured process in place for conducting interviews and hiring. This is clearly not the case and proved to be a huge waste of time. It's amazing to me that they can operate with the level of disorganization and dysfunction I experienced. If anything, it served as a horrible omen for what working there might be like and made me realize it'd be smart to decline any offer they did end up extending. I would recommend saving yourself the grief of dealing with them.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at McAfee in November 2011.

Phone interview with Talent Acquisition team followed by a phone interview with a hiring manager a few days later. Both focused on why I wanted to work for McAfee and what skill sets I would bring to the table.

FYI, research the company before you start interviewing so you can speak intelligently to the position you're seeking.

The face to face interview's where conducted on the same day the following week and an offer was made a week or so after that.

Interview Questions
    You should always try since you're a sales person.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McAfee in November 2009.

First discussed with Recruitment Agency. First interview with company recruiter to go through career history, why you want to work for McAfee (do your company prep). Second/Third interview was back to back with 2 senior managers, one global and one national. (def have company prep at hand). Fourth interview was with face to face in office with 2 senior managers. Also between 2nd and 4th interviews I had to do an online intelligence test. At the face to face (fourth interview) I was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    I did try on salary - you should in a sales role.